Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts
Default Ice Cream Barge

I'm sure plenty of folks out there have seen the ice cream barge running around the lake. I've never seen him around before a year or so ago. Darn good idea and he seems to get plenty of business. Pretty cool business idea, cruse the lake and make money at the same time. Not bad, why didn't I think of that!

Anyone know what his prices are like?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

He is reasonable. When he started 2 years or so ago he was cheap but I think he realized that the overhead was killing him (gas prices for his boat and gen set).

He does a banner business- you should see the line at Suissevale when he shows up. I catch him on the water frequently, a wave will bring him right over.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I think he and the hot dog guy (Bob?) in Wolfeboro should do a combined effort. Good grief they could just anchor out and have a drive through window
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I think he and the hot dog guy (Bob?) in Wolfeboro should do a combined effort. Good grief they could just anchor out and have a drive through window
Throw a good pizza oven out there and they will be all set! Trifecta
Old 08-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Chaos

Default Ice cream boat

About 5 years ago there was a pontoon boat painted with black and white cow spots that would hit the popular anchoring spots like the sand bar at Smalls Cove. I only saw them that year. They had the basic ice cream products in coolers, no refridgeration. Never had a soft ice cream though. I have not seen the barge you are referring to.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
jrc

I bought three ice cream sandwiches for $9 total last week near Timber. Not a bargain but it's OK for the novelty of it.

In the past there was a pontoon boat painted with spots like a cow. He sold pints of ice cream.

Mom tells of the old days at Braun Bay, a boat sold mixed drinks without the alcohol. So you could buy like a pina colada or strawberry daquari and just add you own booze.

I think someone could make some easy summer cash by loading up like a convenience store. Bottles of Coke and Pepsi, drink mixers, chips and salty snacks, maybe even hotdogs and rolls. Then of course add some ice cream and maybe cooked dogs.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Mom tells of the old days at Braun Bay, a boat sold mixed drinks without the alcohol. So you could buy like a pina colada or strawberry daquari and just add you own booze.

I know that guy very well.He's a regular on this forum.He sells something quite different now though he still has the same items at his camp on land.They just are not for sale now.Thanks buddy!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
TomC

Default his new boat is a little fancier..

than the ol' pontoon boat, too!
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
nj2nh

I remember an ice cream boat on Alton Bay from when I was a kid many, many years ago - 1970's or thereabouts.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
phoenix

he is based in Green's basin and prices a couple of dollars for an ice cream. Kids love when the song comes by
Old 08-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
robmac

I know I always make sure that I have cash when I go out with my daughter and niece just in case the ice cream barge arrives at the sand bar, they love it and I think it's a wonderful experience for them as well. Hope they keep it going,in FL we have a former nurse that comes to the sandbar Thurs.-Sun. selling hotdogs tacos and burritos and makes a killing. She quit nursing when she saw how much she was making. I seem to remember several years back the ice cream barge from Alton was featured in the news paper I think the sunday Globe.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
Sal

Default Here it is ....

Taken July 16, Moultonborough Bay.
Attached Images

Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal For This Useful Post:
RI Swamp Yankee (08-23-2010)
Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
rick35

Great idea but that extension cord sitting on the deck would make me a little uneasy. Look like a little generator next to the outboard.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
I bought three ice cream sandwiches for $9 total last week near Timber. Not a bargain but it's OK for the novelty of it.

In the past there was a pontoon boat painted with spots like a cow. He sold pints of ice cream.

I think someone could make some easy summer cash by loading up like a convenience store. Bottles of Coke and Pepsi, drink mixers, chips and salty snacks, maybe even hotdogs and rolls. Then of course add some ice cream and maybe cooked dogs.
I have known the ice cream guy since he was a toddler. I use to babysit him along with his brothers and sisters when I was a young teenager. I was his mother's helper on day trips to Storyland etc. Our day trips were always an adventure. His mother's car broke down several times as we traveled about. He lives on an island going into Green's Basin.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #15
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
Great idea but that extension cord sitting on the deck would make me a little uneasy. Look like a little generator next to the outboard.
He runs a little Honda genset, nice and quiet.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
codeman671

We pulled up alongside that boat about a month ago near Sandy Island. The kids were psyched, and it saved me a trip to Paugus Bay for ice cream although the cleanup from melting frozen treats probably took longer than the boat ride to Lilioukalani's would have.

The old painted up ice cream boat was the S.S. Creamer. I seem to recall someone in another post mentioned that they bought it.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #17
Wolfeboro_Baja

Thanks, codeman, for the name of the older ice cream boat, S.S. Creamer! I remember seeing that one a few years back now. Saw them at Braun Bay and the sandbar outside West Alton Marina. They had great ice cream (from the Sandwich Creamery, I think?)!

I wonder if the new ice cream boat owner considered dry ice to keep the product cold? I'm pretty sure it would work but I have no idea how it would compare in cost to buying a generator and feeding it.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
ApS

Cool I KNOW Vanilla...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
"...Thanks, codeman, for the name of the older ice cream boat, S.S. Creamer! I remember seeing that one a few years back now. Saw them at Braun Bay and the sandbar outside West Alton Marina. They had great ice cream (from the Sandwich Creamery, I think?)!
I don't think I've ever seen the ice cream boat and don't remember the S.S. Creamer.

Now, my diet is, of medical necessity, restricted to non-chocolate anythings—so vanilla became my specialty. (Not a bad "diet", at all!)

A new forum member gave me a container of vanilla ice cream from the Sandwich Creamery. Yummy!

The best around, and I know some.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #19
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
Thanks, codeman, for the name of the older ice cream boat, S.S. Creamer! I remember seeing that one a few years back now. Saw them at Braun Bay and the sandbar outside West Alton Marina. They had great ice cream (from the Sandwich Creamery, I think?)!

I wonder if the new ice cream boat owner considered dry ice to keep the product cold? I'm pretty sure it would work but I have no idea how it would compare in cost to buying a generator and feeding it.
That little Honda won't cost much to run. Probably a gallon a day at most. Certainly less than dealing with dry ice.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
That little Honda won't cost much to run. Probably a gallon a day at most. Certainly less than dealing with dry ice.
The ice cream man's family has a house on an island and on the mainland. Last year one night when the ice cream boat was parked on the mainland someone cut the wiring on the compressor's and stole them. What a JERK and THIEF!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #21
NHKathy

Default I'm not trying to be picky but ...

The correct name is.....The Ice Cream Float! it's a play on words...

He usually stops by the dock of our place in Moultonborough, and all the kids love it! A few weeks ago when I was up there, my hubby and I decided on ice cream for lunch - yummo I got a Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia bar - I think it was $5.00 - not bad at all when you consider how convenient it is. He always does a great job docking too, even with all the kids running down the dock toward him
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #22
jrc

This is the old drink hut barge from 1988 or 89. Mom found the picture, she says it's Braun Bay.
Attached Images

jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
HUH (09-06-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #23
beachgal

I know my kids will have great memories of the"ice cream boat" pulling up to the dock!!! (I wished he did start selling frozen drinks for the adults!!)
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #24
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
The correct name is.....The Ice Cream Float! it's a play on words...

He usually stops by the dock of our place in Moultonborough, and all the kids love it! A few weeks ago when I was up there, my hubby and I decided on ice cream for lunch - yummo I got a Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia bar - I think it was $5.00 - not bad at all when you consider how convenient it is. He always does a great job docking too, even with all the kids running down the dock toward him
We flagged him down coming by Mark last Saturday. He pulled up to the dock and again saved me a trip to Paugus Bay. This guy has impeccable timing!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #25
Mr. V

Braun bay, early August 2010.
Attached Images

Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #26
HUH

Quote:
This is the old drink hut barge from 1988 or 89. Mom found the picture, she says it's Braun Bay.
Braun bay was such fun back then..I tell people about the drink boat.. Not sure if its the same one..one of them had the grills going as well
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote