Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
sgold44

Default Bad Compass Installation

I have a 2000 Campion Allante 705 ( 24 ft) Bowrider. The factory installed compass is located at the far right side of the instrument panel on the dashboard. The dash is a concave curved set up. Because of this, the compass' lubber line is not oriented to the centerline of the boat, but is actually pointing approx 25 degrees to starboard. I was constantly getting readings on my compass which were 25-30 degrees off from my Map bearings, as well as from my GPS. I purchased a portable compass & installed it w/velcro on the centerline of the boat, & voila, I have readings that match! I can't understand how a manufacturer of such an expensive (& otherwise great boat) could not have foreseen this installation problem.
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem, either w/the Campion boats or others?

Last edited by sgold44; 08-29-2007 at 04:50 PM.
sgold44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
Airwaves

That's nuts that whoever installed the compass would put it's line that far off!

What you do have to remember is that every piece of equipment, including an engine, radio, GPS etc etc has an effect on the compass and it's accuracy.

So even adding a hand held compass to your boat might not give you a truely accurate reading.

Just FYI
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
Uncle Fun

I would contact your selling dealer and I would even call the Campion Boat Company's Customer Service Department and tell them what you found... The NEED to know those things so their engineers can possibly change the location on future models... Hey, maybe they'll even give you some retribution for your trouble (like a new compass)... It's worth a shot!!!