Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
thebix

Default Opinions on Aqua Patio 220 Tri-Toon

I'm looking to change from a Four Winns 240 Bowrider to a Pontoon, for easier entry from the dock, etc. I've seen the chatter on the great handling and performance of the modern tri-toons on the big lake and I'm sold. But my budget only allows for a used boat, not the latest Bennington or Premier.

I see available at the top of my budget a 2011 Aqua Patio 220 tri-toon with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke outboard. The specs and online video sales pitches look good. Will try for a test ride in a day or two.

Does anyone have any pros or cons, things to look out for on the Aqua Patio.
Does their tri-toon model handle and run similar to other tri-toons, or is it just an extra tube bolted on (most of the online references are twin tube models). I don't need super high speeds, BTW, cruising at 20-30 MPH would be ideal.

Any reason to be concerned that there is no Aqua Patio dealer on the lake to handle any possible warranty issues. I have no doubt that the Yamaha engine can be serviced easy enough.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
chasedawg

Default Aqua Patio 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebix View Post
I'm looking to change from a Four Winns 240 Bowrider to a Pontoon, for easier entry from the dock, etc. I've seen the chatter on the great handling and performance of the modern tri-toons on the big lake and I'm sold. But my budget only allows for a used boat, not the latest Bennington or Premier.

I see available at the top of my budget a 2011 Aqua Patio 220 tri-toon with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke outboard. The specs and online video sales pitches look good. Will try for a test ride in a day or two.

Does anyone have any pros or cons, things to look out for on the Aqua Patio.
Does their tri-toon model handle and run similar to other tri-toons, or is it just an extra tube bolted on (most of the online references are twin tube models). I don't need super high speeds, BTW, cruising at 20-30 MPH would be ideal.

Any reason to be concerned that there is no Aqua Patio dealer on the lake to handle any possible warranty issues. I have no doubt that the Yamaha engine can be serviced easy enough.

First let me tell you there is a dealer for Godfrey boats which includes Aqua Patio and SAN PAN. It is Meredith Marine. Chris is the manager and is a great guy.
I sea trialed the San Pan and Aqua Patio. They have different hull configurations for both models. Aqua Patio is a stripped down version of the San Pan. The lower end tritoon Aqua Patio I did not care for it. It didn't perform well. However it is much better than just a pontoon boat. It was sluggish and the turning ratio was too extreme for me. To turn you had to turn the wheel six revolutions.
The higher end Tritoon, I forget now the model name. I don't have their catalog in front of me. That model I thought was much better. The only thing I did not like about the full Tritoon line is that the center log is moved back about one foot. It looks strange. No one could tell me why it is designed that way until I called Godfrey boats and talked to their engineer. He said that it is designed that way to handle today's larger engines. I did not care for that answer.
You might want to call Channel Marine or Winnesquam marine to see of they have any used tritoons. I do know that the Bennington 220 is a great boat and has a very low entry price point. Call Jay or Jason to check to see what they have in inventory. I would sea trial the Aqua Patio you have your eye on and then sea trial the entry level Bennington and Preimer tritoons. PM me if you want more detailed information.
Good luck. You are making the right move to go to the tritoon over a pontoon. There is no comparison.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
cmack

I can't help regarding the Aqua Patio brand but I can tell you a tri toon rides better than dual toon on lake Winni. Mine was originally a dual toon but due to several leak issues last season I was able to have the center toon added for free. Less flexing and rolling when crossing waves at an angle.

For a reference point I cruise around 18-20 MPH at around 3500 RPM and top out at 36/37 at around 5300 RPM with just me aboard. Does it have strakes on the toons? You'll want them to get the performance/speed that 150 has to offer.
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
robbsracingengines

I have a 2 tube Aqua Patio 240LE. Its a great boat and very worthy. We have been all over the entire lake. It may not eat up the worst the lake can throw at it but so far I have never had a problem. As for the 2 tube 3 tube debate there are pros and cons to each. IMO the ride on the 2 tube is much smoother. It is less buoyant than a tritoon and slices through the rough stuff nicely. IMO the only reason to spend so much more on a tritoon would be if you plan to carry a large load often and want to go fast with that load or if having a better turning boat for watersports is important. Otherwise a 2 tube toon with lifting strakes will ride better, run almost as fast as a tritoon with twice the Hp and cost a lot less to buy and operate.
robbsracingengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
Greene's Basin Girl

Our tri-toon Harris Floteboat couldn't ride much smoother. Any day in the broads is a smooth day with our boat. I would definitely go tri-toon. I wouldn't purchase less than 23 feet. With the pontoons it would run about 24.5 feet.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-23-2013)
Sponsored Links