Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
Guy

Default Gilford Kayak buddies

I am looking for some experienced people to join me for kayaking on weekend mornings. I leave from Gilford town docks around 6:30. Trips vary from 6 to 10 miles with longer ones possible. I am not racing or looking for a PBR, but I do like to hold a good solid fast pace. Feel free to PM me or reply to this thread.

Last edited by Guy; 03-07-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Need to change kayaking to kayak for search reasons
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

Guy, I just noticed that you have belonged to the forum for sometime, but you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Best of luck getting other Kayak buddies to join you. I am sure you will get responses to your request. Have fun on you kayaking ventures on the big lake.

Guy (03-07-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
fatlazyless

.....say-hey....I could be interested in that.....it's usually almost always better to go kayaking with a group than to go all alone....will be showing up with my 16' Necky Chinnook kayak tied across the stern of my 16' fishing boat and leave the motorboat tied to the Gilford town dock there....while I go out for a paddle

......maybe you want to take a good look at the Cattle Landing-Town of Meredith dock and parking lot located way down the end of Meredith Neck Rd on Cattle Landing Rd, about seven miles from the big Meredith intersection of State Routes 3 & 25, next to the Inn at Bay Point in the downtown Meredith area. What it has to offer besides its excellent paddling location is a totally free, open to the public, unrestricted unpaved parking lot big enough to hold about thirty cars, and is immediately close to kayak-canoe launching area which is a small grassy slope down to the lake after carrying your kayak across the road from the parking area and through a five foot wide opening in the wood fence that is designed for kayaks/canoes as well as snowmobiles. Parking unrestricted like this, open to anyone, is probably pretty unusual on Lake Winnipesaukee, and this area has plenty to offer for kayaking .... suggest you check it out .... Cattle Landing town dock, Meredith NH 03253.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:02 AM   #4
jrc

I didn't want to answer with a "not me" but since FLL sent his usual off the wall answer, and this is your first post, I didn't want you to think we were all crazy here.

I kayak at least one morning every weekend during boating season. I start from my slip in Smith Cove, behind the Gilford town docks. Last year, my usual route was a 45 minute run out to the Witches, then around Locke's Island and back. This year I'm going to stretch it to an hour. I start around 8:30.

It doesn't sound like my routine matches yours but of course you are welcome to join me. There are always a few kayaks out there, mostly from Locke's. I don't know any of them, just familiar faces to wave to.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
.....say-hey....I could be interested in that.....it's usually almost always better to go kayaking with a group than to go all alone....will be showing up with my 16' Necky Chinnook kayak tied across the stern of my 16' fishing boat and leave the motorboat tied to the Gilford town dock there....while I go out for a paddle

......maybe you want to take a good look at the Cattle Landing-Town of Meredith dock and parking lot located way down the end of Meredith Neck Rd on Cattle Landing Rd, about seven miles from the big Meredith intersection of State Routes 3 & 25, next to the Inn at Bay Point in the downtown Meredith area. What it has to offer besides its excellent paddling location is a totally free, open to the public, unrestricted unpaved parking lot big enough to hold about thirty cars, and is immediately close to kayak-canoe launching area which is a small grassy slope down to the lake after carrying your kayak across the road from the parking area and through a five foot wide opening in the wood fence that is designed for kayaks/canoes as well as snowmobiles. Parking unrestricted like this, open to anyone, is probably pretty unusual on Lake Winnipesaukee, and this area has plenty to offer for kayaking .... suggest you check it out .... Cattle Landing town dock, Meredith NH 03253.
Sounds good hopefully you can make it. You have a perfect kayak for the trips I like to take. I may be up for a road trip at some point but currently I don't have means to transport my boat.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I didn't want to answer with a "not me" but since FLL sent his usual off the wall answer, and this is your first post, I didn't want you to think we were all crazy here.

I kayak at least one morning every weekend during boating season. I start from my slip in Smith Cove, behind the Gilford town docks. Last year, my usual route was a 45 minute run out to the Witches, then around Locke's Island and back. This year I'm going to stretch it to an hour. I start around 8:30.

It doesn't sound like my routine matches yours but of course you are welcome to join me. There are always a few kayaks out there, mostly from Locke's. I don't know any of them, just familiar faces to wave to.
I usually head out and around Governors Island myself. I get back around the time you leave so if you see me out there wave me over. My boat is a red Current Design Extreme. At 19' it's hard to miss.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Default ....parking at Glendale town docks?

Finding a place to park your car, and then launching a kayak can be very challenging on Lake Winnipesaukee. In Gilford, at the Glendale town docks there, as far as I know, there is no parking available for someone to leave their vehicle and go out on the water in a kayak. Is there any visiter parking there for non-residents who want to car-top their kayak to the water?

Similarly, I do not know if I could leave my small motorboat tied to the town dock there while I went kayaking there either .......maybe......maybe not? ......not sure?

Is there an experienced "motor vehicle parking attorney" on this forum who has experience with parking a vehicle at the Glendale-Gilford town dock area? Thankyou very much!?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Finding a place to park your car, and then launching a kayak can be very challenging on Lake Winnipesaukee. In Gilford, at the Glendale town docks there, as far as I know, there is no parking available for someone to leave their vehicle and go out on the water in a kayak. Is there any visiter parking there for non-residents who want to car-top their kayak to the water?

Similarly, I do not know if I could leave my small motorboat tied to the town dock there while I went kayaking there either .......maybe......maybe not? ......not sure?

Is there an experienced "motor vehicle parking attorney" on this forum who has experience with parking a vehicle at the Glendale-Gilford town dock area? Thankyou very much!?
I believe you can park there as long as you don't have a trailer. I don't think it would be an issue at that time of the morning anyways, especially if you park out back in the big lot. There may even be a visitor section out there. There is also a restaurant and marina there too so there must be parking for those people without a Gilford sticker. If you show up by boat, you won't have a problem leaving it there for an hour or two. Each dock has a time limit clearly marked with a sign. Just pull into one that has a longer time limit sign than you will need. Again, at that time of the morning it shouldn't be an issue anyways. There is plenty of space most of the time.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
gillygirl

The lot by the docks is for residents only.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
jrc

In season, the Glendale parking and docking are vigorously monitored. The island residents will brook no erosion of their rights.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Just Sold

http://gilfordnh.virtualtownhall.net...NH_BBoard/Glen

Glendale Facility Rules & Regulations
TOWN OF GILFORD
ORDINANCES RELATED TO THE
GLENDALE FACILITY

RESTRICTION OF GLENDALE LAUNCHING RAMP AND PARKING LOTS

It was voted to restrict the use of the launching facilities and parking lots at Glendale to residents, landowners and their guests from April 1 to October 31 each year under such rules and regulations as the Selectmen shall adopt.

Adopted March 11, 1970
Adjourned Town Meeting
Amended March 8, 2005

ORDINANCE GOVERNING THE USE AND RESTRICTIONS OF THE GLENDALE FACILITY

The Glendale Docking facility is located on the south shore of Lake Winnipesaukee off Route 11 in the Glendale section of Gilford. The facility is owned and maintained by the Town of Gilford. The use of the boat launch ramps and the parking lots is limited to Gilford residents, property owners, and their guests from April 1 to October 12. In order for a boat to be launched and/or docked at docks #2_A and #2_B and docks #3_A and #3_B, or for a vehicle to be parked at the Glendale Facility, proper vehicle identification is required. There are four (4) types of identification:

ARTICLE I IDENTIFICATION

SECTION 1. TAXPAYER DECAL (Motor Vehicle) _ The taxpayer vehicle decal permits parking of vehicles, and launching of boats at the Glendale Docks (Dock Road), use of the Town Beach (Varney Point Road), the Town Stump Dump/Recycling Center (Kimball Road) and the Transfer Station in Laconia. Decal requests must be made annually from the Town Clerk's Office, 47 Cherry Valley Road, Gilford, N.H. 03249, (603) 527-4713. The number of decals issued is limited to the number of motor vehicles registered in the name of the taxpayer. Decals will be numbered to correspond with the vehicle’s registration number. Initial decals requested from the Town Clerk-Tax Collector’s office are issued at no charge. Due to the Federal Privacy Act and N.H. State Statutes, a photocopy of the original Motor Vehicle Registration bearing the name of the taxpayer shall accompany any request. Replacement taxpayer decals are issued at a cost of $25.00 each. In the case of a replacement or new vehicle, additional decals are issued only with proper proof of change. The Taxpayer decal must be affixed to the vehicle on the driver's side, side or rear window in plain view. All parking violations are $25.00. Taxpayers seeking a decal for autos registered in a company name, must complete the appropriate forms located in the Town Clerk-Tax Collector’s office. Limit of one company vehicle per taxpayer. No taxpayer decal shall be issued to any taxpayer who has a defaulted parking ticket or fine related to the Glendale Facility. Such lists of defaulted parking tickets shall be provided to the Town Clerk’s office by the Gilford Police Department and updated on a regular basis.

SECTION 2. ISLAND RESIDENT DECAL (Boat) _ The island resident decal permits owners of island property accessible only by boat to dock at those piers reserved specifically for their use. There is a limit of four (4) decals per island property owner. All requests for Island Resident Boat Decals must be accompanied by a copy or proof of boat registration in the name of the island property to the Town Clerk. Decals will be numbered with the bow identification of the boat. Initial decals requested in person at the Town Clerk-Tax Collector’s office are issued at no charge. There will be no replacement decals issued. The decal shall be placed on the left side of the stern, clearly visible, and above the waterline. No Island Resident Decal shall be issued to any taxpayer that has a defaulted parking ticket or fine related to the Glendale Facility. Such lists of defaulted parking tickets shall be provided to the Town Clerk’s office by the Gilford Police Department and updated on a regular basis.

SECTION 3. GUEST CARDS _ Upper Parking Lots – Each parcel is entitled to one (1) guest card per season for the Glendale Docking Facility. The guest cards permit the guests of taxpayers to use the launch ramps and upper rear parking lots. The cards are valid for one season only, and are the property of the taxpayer. Guests should be encouraged to return all guest cards to the taxpayer. Two Additional guest cards per parcel will be issued at a cost of $25.00 each. The maximum number of guest cards per household is three (3). Replacement cards will not be issued. The guest cards shall be placed in the front windshield on the driver's side in plain view at the time the vehicle is parked and remain in the vehicle in plain view during the entire period that the vehicle is parked. Duplication or misuse of the official Guest Cards shall result in criminal prosecution. No Guest Cards shall be issued to any taxpayer that has a defaulted parking ticket or fine related to the Glendale Facility. Such lists of defaulted parking tickets shall be provided to the Town Clerk’s office by the Gilford Police Department and updated on a regular basis.

SECTION 4. COMMERCIAL MARINA PERMITS. A commercial marina permit shall be issued to any vehicle (up to a total of three [3] vehicles) that is owned by a Gilford Marina Business at a cost of $1,000.00. Decals shall be issued as set forth in Section 1., above. The Board of Selectmen shall establish hours of operation for commercial marinas wishing to utilize the Glendale Docks. No Commercial Marina Permit shall be issued to any taxpayer/business that has a defaulted parking ticket or fine related to the Glendale Facility. Such lists of defaulted parking tickets shall be provided to the Town Clerk’s office by the Gilford Police Department and updated on a regular basis.

ARTICLE II USES OF FACILITIES

SECTION 1. COMMERCIAL USENo commercial construction barges/vessel or commercial passenger vessels shall utilize the Glendale Docks, unless the barge/vessel is performing work on a Gilford property, under a permit secured by the property owner and issued by the Town.

SECTION 2. MOORING & DOCKING OF BOATS

A. No boat shall be moored and/or docked at the public wharves at Glendale except as follows:
1 . Dock #1 -A shall be limited to the loading and unloading of boats, and at no time shall any boat be left unattended.
2. Dock #1 -B shall be limited to three (3) hours of mooring and/or docking.
3. Docks #2-A and 2-B shall be reserved for boats of island residents, which shall be identified with a Town of Gilford island resident decal shall be affixed to the boat and is nontransferable. It shall be placed on the left side of the stern, clearly visible, and above the water line. The mooring or docking shall be limited to eight (8) hours.
4. Docks #3-A and 3-B shall be reserved for boats of island residents, which shall be identified with a Town of Gilford island resident decal shall be affixed to the boat and is nontransferable. It shall be placed on the left side of the stern, clearly visible, and above the water line. The mooring or docking shall be limited to twelve (12) hours.

No boat shall be moored and/or docked at Glendale between the hours of 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. at any time. Any boat found moored and/or docked at the Glendale docks during these hours will be ticketed and subject to the penalties for violation detailed in this Ordinance.

No commercial barge/vessel shall utilize the Glendale docks or Launching Ramp Facilities, unless the barge/vessel is performing work on a Gilford property, under a permit secured by the property owner and issued by the Town.

D. No commercial passenger carrying boat/vessel shall utilized the Glendale Docks or Launching Ramp Facilities.

E. Any boat, commercial barge or vessel that is left unattended in violation of this ordinance may be towed or removed. The cost of towing, removal, and storage shall be the responsibility of the owner.

SECTION 3. PARKING

A. No boats, trailers, or boats on trailers shall be stored or left parked in any of the Glendale Parking Lots between the hours of 2AM and 4AM
No boat trailers or trailers of any kind shall be parked in the lower level parking lots, identified as Level 1, Level 2 or Level 3 in the Glendale Parking Lots. (prohibited parking)

B. No motor vehicles or trailers shall be parked or driven on any of the Town Docks in Glendale.(improper parking)

C No parking shall be allowed in any of the Glendale Parking Lots unless an official Town of Gilford parking decal or guest card is displayed in plain view on the drivers side of the vehicle. These permits shall be issued by the Town Clerk’s Office under rules and regulations as outlined in Article I. (no official decal)

SECTION 4. COMMERCIAL LAUNCHING. The use of the Glendale Boat Launching Facility by commercial marinas shall be limited to Gilford Marina Businesses only and to vehicles duly registered to the business. They must display a Town of Gilford decal for commercial vehicles issued by the Town Clerk's Office. This decal must be permanently affixed to the vehicle on the driver’s side in plain view and is not transferable. No business shall launch or attempt to launch a boat without a decal issued by the Town Clerk’s Office in the name of the business.

SECTION 5. OTHER.

The beaching of any watercraft at the Glendale Facility is prohibited.

The docking of rafts, canoes, kayaks, sailboards, jet skis, etc. is prohibited. (These watercraft, with the appropriate island resident boat decal, may be docked in the designated area by the dumpster.)

Public swimming anywhere at this facility is prohibited.

Propane Tanks:

1. No unattended tanks of any size, full or empty, shall be left at the Glendale Docking Facility.
2. The "pass thru" of propane tanks shall be limited to 30lb. tanks or smaller.
3. Delivery or pick up of propane tanks larger than 30 lbs. are prohibited at all times at the Glendale Docks. Arrangements for tanks exceeding 30lbs must be through other means. .

ARTICLE III PENALTIES & FINES.

1. Prohibited Parking (Article II, Section 3A, $25
2. No Official Decal (Article I, Sections 1, 2; Article II, Section 3C) $25
3. Improper Parkin (Article II, Section 3B) $25
4. Mooring, Docking Violations (Article II, Sections 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 5B) $25
5. Commercial Launch Use Violations (Article II, Section 4) $250 1st violation
$500 2nd violation
$750 3rd violation
$1,000 4th violation
6. Beaching of Water Craft (Article II, Section 5A) $25.00
7. No swimming violation (Article II, Section 5C) $25.00
8. Propane Tank Violation (Article II, Section 5D) $25.00

Amended and Approved
Gilford Board of Selectmen
February 9, 2005

REFUSE CONTAINERS _ Refuse containers have been placed at the Glendale Docks for the proper disposal of trash generated by Gilford island residents and renters of Gilford island property. Those not allowed to use the refuse containers include the general public, contractors working on island property, and commercial establishments. The containers are for typical household refuse normally generated in the home that can be contained in boxes or trash bags. All trash is to be placed inside the refuse containers. Trash is not to be left next to the dumpsters or on the ground in the surrounding area. Prohibited refuse includes: furniture, appliances, building materials, toxic/hazardous wastes, unbagged leaves, grass, brush, etc. The Town will make available a day for this type material to be disposed of during the summer season. Violators are subject to penalty prescribed by ordinance. For more information regarding refuse pick_up at Glendale, contact the Department of Public Works, 55 Cherry Valley Road, Gilford, N.H. 03249, (603) 527-4778. Recycling containers are made available for the use of island residents. Please sort items as instructed on containers.

PLACEMENT AND CONTROL OF REFUSE CONTAINERS
GLENDALE DOCKS
Article I.GENERAL

The Selectmen of the Town of Gilford are hereby authorized and empowered to place refuse containers and control the proper disposal of trash generated at specified locations at the Glendale Docks subject to the provisions of this Ordinance.

Article II.USERS

Section 1.Allowed: The following shall be permitted to use the refuge containers at the Glendale Docks:

Gilford Island Residents
Renters of Property on Gilford Islands
Persons Launching Boats Registered in the Town of Gilford

Section 2.Not Allowed: The following shall be prohibited from using the refuge containers at the Glendale Docks:

General Public Not Mentioned Above
Contractors Constructing Facilities on any Island Property
Commercial Establishments, i.e. Restaurants, Motels, Cabin Colonies, Contractors, etc.

Article III.TYPES OF REFUSE

Section 1. Typical household refuse normally generated in the home that can be contained in boxes or plastic trash bags. All containers with refuse are to be placed in the metal skids provided. Trash is not to be left next to or on the ground immediately surrounding the trash containers. Overflow is to be hauled by the user to the Lakes Region Disposal transit station on Meredith Center Road, Laconia, NH. A taxpayer decal available from the Gilford Town Clerk will be required to use the transfer station.
Section 2. Prohibited trash:

Furniture, appliances, etc.
Building materials, lumber, concrete, asphalt, roofing materials, windows, doors, etc.
Toxic wastes to include waste oil, grease, etc.
Auto parts and other bulky metallic objects.
Unbagged leaves, grass clippings, branches, shrubs, trees, etc.
Any unbagged or loose trash.

Article IV.IDENTIFICATION

Identification is to be as deemed required by the Board of Selectmen either by vehicle and/or boat registration as available at the Town Clerk’s Office.

Article V.ENFORCEMENT & FINES

This ordinance is to be in force during the period from April 1 to October 31 and at all times dumpsters are available.

Any person(s) violating the provisions of this ordinance shall be fined up to $100.00 for the first violation and $250.00 for each subsequent violation.

Article VI.EFFECTIVE DATE

This ordinance becomes effective upon passage and supersedes that passed at Town Meeting, March 8, 1972, which is hereby repealed.

Adopted March 14, 1984
Adjourned Town Meeting
Amended March 8, 2005

COMFORT STATION (Restrooms) _ Separate restroom facilities are located at the small brick comfort station adjacent to the lower parking lot. (Open during summer season only)

EXCEPTIONSNo exceptions to these regulations will be made.

These regulations have been established in order to:
(A) Comply with insurance requirements and recommendations; and
(B) Eliminate safety hazards to the boating public; and
(C) Provide reasonable access to these facilities for all taxpayers.

Questions regarding these regulations should be directed to:
Town Administrator
47 Cherry Valley Road
Gilford, NH 03249
(603) 527-4700 (press 2)

Old 03-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I believe you can park there as long as you don't have a trailer. I don't think it would be an issue at that time of the morning anyways, especially if you park out back in the big lot. There may even be a visitor section out there. There is also a restaurant and marina there too so there must be parking for those people without a Gilford sticker. If you show up by boat, you won't have a problem leaving it there for an hour or two. Each dock has a time limit clearly marked with a sign. Just pull into one that has a longer time limit sign than you will need. Again, at that time of the morning it shouldn't be an issue anyways. There is plenty of space most of the time.
OK, I'll give all of those a try...