Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Misty Blue

Default There ought to be a law!

Hi folks:

'Just bought the wife a cool toy. It's a floating lounge chair so that she can float out to the raft and MT a Corona. But this guy is coool! It has two, D cell powered motors. One in each arm! Ain't that the nutz?

But I got to thinking that in the nanny state of NH it should be classified as a Type A, motortized watercraft. This means registration (with decals and annual sticker), a type I, II or III pfd, a sound producing device (blowing on the top of the long neck does not count unless it can be heard for four seconds at 1/2 mile) and a fire ectinguisher.

I think that I may have over bought.

This got me thinking that we need to help the legislature come up with some more ideas to keep us safe from ourselves.

Try this one out...

To improve visibility and avoid collisions all kayak paddlers must wear a hat with flashing light and sound producing device. Sort of like a "Super helmet seven".

Let's have some fun with this!

Got any more ideas?

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
ironhorsetim

Talking swimsafe inc.

how bout a thong with a back-up beeper for the overweight swimmer

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
This'nThat

Default Water skiers

... must wear safety skis. And post a ski-plan (much like pilots have to do) with the Marine Patrol in advance of their outing. And stay within the posted ski lanes along the lake. Ski ropes must be certified by the state, and must be tagged as "meeting minimial requirements" (removal of such tags is punishible by fines and jail).

That's for this year.

Next year, all water skiers must wear helmits and goggles. As well as mouthguard, athletic cup, and knee- & elbow-pads. Skis and skiers must all pass through state-approved, modular pre-ski wash and disinfectant huts to ensure that only sanitary ski-units (the skier and his/her equipment is a ski-unit) enter the lake. Next year's requirements, though, will only be introduced on a 10-year trial cycle to see if it actually improves the safety of the ski-unit in its intended environment. The State will monitor and collect ski-unit performance data, and submit a report at the end of the observation period before a final decision on safeguards is made.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
jrc

MB, you must have the Underwriter's Laboratory certify that your single seat, twin engine speed boat does not exceed 25 hp, otherwise all operators must have completed their boaters safety education certification.

Starting in 2010, all swimmers, canoe and kayakers and sailboaters must complete their swimming and human or sail powered safety education certification (SHSPSEC), unless they can prove that they or their craft cannot exceed 25 hp. Independent laboratory results will be accepted. For sailboats, a computer simulation of the effective power produced by the sails in winds up to 73 MPH will be accepted in place of actually sail HP measurements.

Starting in 2011, all boats above 25 hp must be fitted with seatbelts and airbags for all passengers. Existing boats must be retrofitted on a sliding window. Starting January 2011, boats built in 2010 must be retrofitted, in February, boats from 2009, March boats for 2008 and so on.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Hermit Cover

Default What, Where, and How Much?

Misty Blue.....The Mrs. HC and I are interested to know more about the floater....Will you share W...W and $ Sounds like the perfect vessel for a quiet cove like the Hermit!!!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
...we need to help the legislature come up with some more ideas to keep us safe from ourselves.
Seat belt law for boats.
Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
Sunrise Point

I think it sounds like the perfect Father's Day gift for Mr. Sunrise Point. If you share the details, I would also appreciate it. The battery powered motors on the arms sound pretty cool. Of course, I would have to add a tow package to pull a cooler on a tube with the other 5 Coronas!
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:14 AM   #8
Sandy Beach

Thumbs up Potential law

How about random sobriety tests. Like they do with cars. Everyone passing a certain area gets stopped and checked out. Wouldn't that be interesting.

How many of you would support that one?
Sandy Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Beach View Post
How about random sobriety tests. Like they do with cars. Everyone passing a certain area gets stopped and checked out. Wouldn't that be interesting.

How many of you would support that one?
I would not. I boat sober and would resent the intrusion.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Please STOP! You are giving those idiots too many ideas!!!!! They will actually like them!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
hazelnut

I still can't believe the colored swim cap idea didn't become a law. What a great idea that one was.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
This'nThat

Default Tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Please STOP! You are giving those idiots too many ideas!!!!! They will actually like them!
I really resent you using the word "idiot" to describe our elected representatives. As an idiot myself, being lumped in the same category as "elected representative" is simply degrading and frankly, uncalled for. I still still have a little dignity, you know, and fear it will wear off completely if I was walking down the streat, or in a restaurant or bar, or even doing some Capt Bonehead thingy on the water and someone said "Hey, you idiot". People would overhear this and immediately associate me with a State Rep, and my reputation, dignity, and self-esteem will be ruined. So please, show a little mercy.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
Pineedles

Default Idiots

I resent gov't people being called idiots too! I know some idiots who won a World Series and I would never want to accuse them of being anything like elected representatives.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

Default Excaliber Electronics

Quote:
Hi folks:

'Just bought the wife a cool toy. It's a floating lounge chair so that she can float out to the raft and MT a Corona. But this guy is coool! It has two, D cell powered motors. One in each arm! Ain't that the nutz?
Misty Blue.
Is this the float Misty?Pretty cool.
http://www.handheldhaven.com/servlet...wimming/Detail
Old 06-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Is this the float Misty?Pretty cool.
http://www.handheldhaven.com/servlet...wimming/Detail
Yeah. Even the blue float device is cool.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
Ropetow

Default remember the Titanic

I think our 'distinguished' elected officials might want to mandate that all vessels carry life-rafts capable of carrying the rated number of people on the vessel. This would obviously also apply to kayaks, canoes, and jet-skis. But perhaps there could be an exception: Liberals on board do not count towards the capacity #. And, in bad weather (foggy and unclear) they could mandate that a vessel be required to post a spotter in the Crow's Nest.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #17
Pine Island Guy

Default safety equipment mandate!

Misty - you forgot to mention the new mandate in 2010 for the 150' sensor that detects when another craft enters your 150' zone and automagically slows your boat to headway speed. Unfortunately the state will impose a tax on the equipment installation to make up for the revenue the MP won't receive for the tickets anymore!!

PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #18
ApS

Talking New Hampshire Shall Make No Laws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
An Amendment to the New Hampshire Constitution:

Quote:
"New Hampshire shall make no law ensuring that a boater is mailed their decal within two months of having paid for it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point View Post
"...The battery powered motors on the arms sound pretty cool..."
Twelve D-cells for power? Geesh...buy more adult beverages instead...

Or go much faster, plus go rechargeable..........

Tim Allen: "You're darn right, more power!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Beach View Post
"...How about random sobriety tests...How many of you would support that one...?"
I'd support it: Even if it's minimally enforced (as we've seen ) it would put the notion of fear into some out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I would not. I boat sober and would resent the intrusion.
THEY ALL say they "boat sober": Besides, except for Mainers, this attorney has "got your back"...
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
"...Starting in 2010...For sailboats, a computer simulation of the effective power produced by the sails in winds up to 73 MPH will be accepted in place of actually sail HP measurements..."
1) You've never stood knee-deep in water—being dragged into deep water by a sailboat?

2) Ten years ago, from a fast "Farrier" trimaran, I watched the start of a Volvo-sponsored sailboat race. Those monohulls set their spinnakers and left our "17-knot" boat in the dust. Oops! (So to speak, "dust").

Recently, I found out why: those monohulls achieve 45-knots!

Quote:
"...To improve visibility and avoid collisions all kayak paddlers must wear a hat with flashing light and sound producing device. Sort of like a "Super helmet seven"...Got any more ideas...?"
Yeah! How about a rudimentary "vision test" given at Boater-Certification examination times?

Question 88:

Quote:
"Can you see that kayak over there, positioned at 150-feet?"
Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
Turtle Boy

How about a law that requires all water skiers to wear a life jacket? Seriously, I wonder if there was this much whining in the 1950's and 60's as there is this year by the me generation about their perceived loss of rights on Lake Winni.
Turtle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #20
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Safety laws for home

Quote:
This got me thinking that we need to help the legislature come up with some more ideas to keep us safe from ourselves.

Let's have some fun with this!

Got any more ideas?

Misty Blue.
Historically more people are hurt in their own home and bath tub than when out and about therefore there should be a law:

Chapter 666:42:00000001
.a - Before entering the tub or shower compartment all persons shall don approved safety gear. Said safety gear shall consist of an approved protective helmet, elbow guards, knee guards and mouth/teeth guard.

.b - No person shall move in excess of 0.45 miles per hour while carry pivoting 2 bladed cutting devices.

.c - No person shall affix their tongue, however momentarily, to exterior metallic objects in the period between December 1 and March 1 in any calendar year.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #21
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
Historically more people are hurt in their own home and bath tub than when out and about therefore there should be a law:

Chapter 666:42:00000001
.a - Before entering the tub or shower compartment all persons shall don approved safety gear. Said safety gear shall consist of an approved protective helmet, elbow guards, knee guards and mouth/teeth guard.

.b - No person shall move in excess of 0.45 miles per hour while carry pivoting 2 bladed cutting devices.

.c - No person shall affix their tongue, however momentarily, to exterior metallic objects in the period between December 1 and March 1 in any calendar year.
We can all appreciate the accidental fall in a bath / shower.

We know want to know how many stitches you got when you cut yourself while walking with scissors (note to Mee: Mac is only allowed to use round point scissors, to lessen (we know with him that we could not prohibit) the chances of an accident puncture), and how many libations had you imbibed prior to playing "dog likes master" with the aluminum storm door handle?

Imquiring minds want to know!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #22
Misty Blue

Default Water toy!

Deb's motor lounge is from Overtons. 150 bucks.

I have put it together but not in the water. The motors seem a bit whimpy.

Tim Allen is my hero! If this thing is a dog I have a couple of batteries from the jet ski. Maybe I'll just "repower" it. Yes sir! a genuine Binford 3500! We'll just blow right through the no wake zones!

I'll let you know how the first "test drive" goes.

And yes. It is fitted with a tow behind floating cooler!

Misty Blue.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #23
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
How about a law that requires all water skiers to wear a life jacket? Seriously, I wonder if there was this much whining in the 1950's and 60's as there is this year by the me generation about their perceived loss of rights on Lake Winni.

Turtle Boy,

Why do you use the adjective "Perceived" in your statement?
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #24
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Re-POWER !

Quote:
Deb's motor lounge is from Overtons. 150 bucks.

I have put it together but not in the water. The motors seem a bit whimpy.

Tim Allen is my hero! If this thing is a dog I have a couple of batteries from the jet ski. Maybe I'll just "repower" it. Yes sir! a genuine Binford 3500! We'll just blow right through the no wake zones!

I'll let you know how the first "test drive" goes.

And yes. It is fitted with a tow behind floating cooler!

Misty Blue.
Batteries ? Batteries !?!?!?! What would the Toolman say about that. Here's what you need to be considering !
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #25
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Turtle Boy,

Why do you use the adjective "Perceived" in your statement?
Because if it's something he does not value, it's "PERCEIVED". Just to note, again, he has only one ideology. My guess is he does little more than look at the lake, if that at all.

There was a law on skiers wearing "life belts" when I was a young lad. Most people don't know what those are now, but they did exist. It was later amended to life vests. Yuppies and those ever so cautious use the more proper acronym PFD's.

The reason they don't advocate helmets in cars or walking is that they don't think they'd like to wear them. Turtle Boy is a true example of the ME GENERATION. Except in this case, it's more aptly named the ME IDEOLOGY, since many generation are afflicted with the sickness to control and moderate those that they just don't like.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #26
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Because if it's something he does not value, it's "PERCEIVED". Just to note, again, he has only one ideology. My guess is he does little more than look at the lake, if that at all......

..... Turtle Boy is a true example of the ME GENERATION. Except in this case, it's more aptly named the ME IDEOLOGY, since many generation are afflicted with the sickness to control and moderate those that they just don't like.
Maybe he's never even been to NH and spends his life in Revere Beach
Seriously though, we took Turtle Grandchild (TG) tubing this weekend, and everyone on the lake seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves in spite of their tyrannical oppressors.

Geez...have you considered switching to decaf?
Turtle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #27
VtSteve

Nope, no decaf for me TB, nor any Revere Beach

Glad you enjoyed the tubing. I was stopped by the CG for a routine inspection Saturday. Upon returning my paperwork, they dropped my license in the lake. But aside from that, it was a pretty peaceful weekend. About four smallish bowriders, couple of cruisers, and half a dozen very fast go fasts on the broadest section of the lake.

Very few limits, large expanses of wide open water.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #28
robmac

I have 2 of them for the last 3 years and we love them,alot of fun for the family. Bought them from Frontgate after seeing them in Skymall while traveling. We get a season on the batteries with alot of use. I paid less than $ 90.00 for ea.

Last edited by robmac; 06-16-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added info
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #29
Kamper

Default "Swimmer plugs and clamps"

"Swimmer plugs and clamps."

Must be installed to prevent accidental discharge during aquatic excercise.

Also known as 'nose-clips!'
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #30
ApS

Default Aiding the Legislature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...There was a law on skiers wearing "life belts" when I was a young lad. Most people don't know what those are now, but they did exist. It was later amended to life vests. Yuppies and those ever so cautious use the more proper acronym PFD's.
The first to appear had an orange cover and were filled with long white strands obtained from kapok trees. The 2.0 version appeared in a plasticized version, and was featured on one episode of "Happy Days" in 1984.

Once, in a "normal fall" at less than 30-MPH—while wearing that mandated "belt"—the belt pushed in sharply at my middle section, and pushed all the "wind" out of me. A very frightful experience while floating in water!

Quote:
"...This got me thinking that we need to help the legislature come up with some more ideas to keep us safe from ourselves...Let's have some fun with this!...Got any more ideas...?"
I'm all for aiding the Legislature and, as the title suggests, "most anything goes"!

1) I'd like to have all the skylights in the Winnipesaukee Basin covered with a film that sharply reduces the reflection of the sun. I find those flashes a danger to maintaining night-vision and an unneeded distraction while boating.

2) Dock lights should have a blue light: solar-powered units—in blue—have been available for years.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #31
RPM

Default to late

All the BASS I have caught this year come with directions.
RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #32
Misty Blue

Default It's a wimp!

Just launched Deb's mtorized floating lounge. Pitiful. It isn't even slow! It just sits there!

The lounge chair is of very high quality but the motors are dogs. I could go faster after hooking on to a minnow!

Misty Blue.

PS. There ought to be a law against selling wimpy floating lounges!
HB: 1234 (AKA "Wimpy's law")
Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #33
Janet

Default It's a wimp

Misty Blue - thanks for the update...you just saved me $160. I have been thinking about buying one and was trying to justify spending this money. Guess I'll just have to save it and use the money to buy more apple pies with the maple crust from Moulton Farms in August. Love those pies!!!!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #34
robmac

I would recheck all of the batteries,mine scoot right along. I did notice last year when I put new batteries in that I bought at the store it seemed sluggish and when I checked them they were duds. This year I went with rechargables.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #35
Misty Blue

Default Duracells

OK Robmac,

I'll give them a check but they are new and I dropped 20 bucks to get them!

Misty Blue.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #36
John A. Birdsall

Default floating toys

It may be not your batteries, the more weight one of them carries the slower it goes. Oops did I say.....
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #37
robmac

MB, how did you make out with your lounge chair ?