Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Jeanzb1

Default Gilford Gathering in Florida!!

Last Sunday nine of us summer pickleball players from Gilford got together in Leesburg, Florida for a wonderful afternoon of -- of course, playing pickleball -- good food, good conversation, good friends! As much as we all enjoy Florida winters, we are looking forward to another awesome summer on Lake Winni!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Jonas Pilot

Default OK,I'll bite ...

... What is pickleball?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
John A. Birdsall

Default pickleball

That is another name for golf, when played with puddles on the golf coarse. When you hit the ball in the water it is said your in a "pickle" so thence you get pickleball!
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John A. Birdsall For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

I don't think so.
http://www.thepickleballstore.com/About

History
The mini-tennis game called Pickleball was created during the summer of 1965 on Bainbridge Island - a short ferry ride from Seattle, WA. The original purpose of the game was to provide a sport for the entire family, according to co-inventors U.S. Congressman Joel Pritchard, William Bell, and Barney McCallum.

How did Pickleball get it's name?
Pickles was the family dog that would chase after the errant balls and then hide in the bushes, thus Pickle's ball which was later shortened to the namesake of Pickleball. Initially, families played Pickleball in their backyards on a hard surface, on driveways, and on residential dead-end streets. Since the mid-1970's, Pickleball has grown and expanded from a family activity game to a paddle court sport with formalized rules. Now, over 20 years later Pickleball is played in thousands of school P.E. programs, parks and recreation centers, correctional facilities, camps, YMCA's and retirement communities. This sport is becoming very popular among active senior adults at community centers.

Basic Rules of Pickleball
The lines: The baseline is the end of the court. Any balls bouncing past this line are considered out. Serves must be made while standing behind this line. Sidelines and the baseline should be positioned so that any ball bouncing on the line is good. On the serve, a ball striking the non-volley zone line is considered a fault.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Jeanzb1

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNFS0uhU93A

Pickleball is SO MUCH FUN! It can be played indoors or outdoors (and in Gilford we play both places.) It's basically similar to tennis/ping-pong, played with a paddle and a wiffle ball. Easier on the knees than tennis.

Reportedly, the fastest-growing sport in the country!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanzb1 For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (02-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
aquabones

Default Fastest Growing Sport in the US

This was on NBC news a few months ago:
Pickleball: The Fastest-Growing Sport in America
>>> FINALLY TONIGHT, IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, THE OLDER YOU GET, THE BETTER YOU WERE AS AN ATHLETE BACK IN THE DAY. MOST FOLKS STILL FEEL LIKE THEY HAVE A LOT OF FIGHT LEFT IN THEM, EVEN IF THEY CAN'T COVER AS MUCH GROUND AS QUICKLY AS BACK IN THE DAY. THAT MAY EXPLAIN THE RISE OF A SPORT GROWING IN POPULARITY. IF YOU HEARD OF PICKLEBALL OR YOU ALREADY PLAY IT, THEN YOU KNOW. IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF IT, YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET A CRASH COURSE IN THE GAME.

>> Reporter: IF THE PICKLEBALL CRAZE HAS NOT YET HIT YOUR TOWN, STAND BY, IT'S ON ITS WAY. PICKLEBALL IS ONE OF THE FASTEST GROWING SPORTS IN AMERICA, AND CAN BE PLAYED BY JUST ABOUT ANYONE. INCLUDING 91-YEAR-OLD LEE KRITZER, VYING FOR A MEDAL AT A PICKLEBALL TOURNAMENT IN DEL RAY BEACH, FLORIDA.

>> IT GETS YOU EXERCISE, IT'S FUN, SOCIAL AND COMPETITIVE.

>> Reporter: PICKLEBALL WAS INVENTED ALMOST 50 YEARS NEAR SEATTLE. A COMBINATION OF TENNIS, BADMINTON AND PING-PONG. IT'S PLAYED WITH A WHIFFLE BALL ON A SHORT COURT.

>> YOU CAN COMPETE WITH THE YOUNGER PEOPLE BY USING YOUR HEAD. WHILE THEY TRY TO USE THEIR SPEED. YOU OUT THINK THEM.

>> Reporter: WATCHING THIS GAME BEING PLAYED, YOU MIGHT WONDER WHY IT'S CALLED PICKLEBALL. OVER THE YEARS IT'S BEEN WIDELY REPORTED IT'S BEEN NAMED AFTER THE INVENTOR'S DOG, PICKLE. THE INVENTOR'S WIFE SAID THE NAME ACTUALLY CAME FROM A SPORT OF ROWING, WHERE A PICKLE BOAT HAS A MIXED CREW. THE AMERICAN PICKLEBALL CAPITAL MAY WELL BE THE VILLAGES, A HUGE RETIREMENT COMMUNITY NEAR ORLANDO. EVEN WITH 140 PICKLEBALL COURTS, PLAYERS FORM LINES EACH MORNING TO GET A GAME. THESE WOMEN ARE PASSIONATE, MUCH FRIENDLY COMPETITORS.

>> EVERY WEDNESDAY WE START OFF WITH GOLF IN THE MORNING.

>> THEN WE GO TO LUNCH. AND THEN WE PLAY PICKLEBALL.

>> THAT'S OUR TRIATHLON.

>> Reporter: THE GAME IS SPREADING AROUND THE WORLD. AND EASY HAS MORE THAN 150,000
aquabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Jeanzb1

Pickleball is really a great activity! There are about 40 of us that play in the Laconia Community Center on Monday nights at 6:45 p.m. and again on Thursday evenings at 6:30 p.m. at the Gilford tennis courts behind the high school by the bandstand. We are a very friendly group that welcomes any newbies that want to join us! We have extra paddles for newcomers. There are also pickleball groups in Wolfeboro, Moultonborough, and Meredith.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanzb1 For This Useful Post:
RLW (08-23-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Default ....pickleball in Laconia?

I have yet to go there but I understand that pickleball has become popular as a winter sport at the Laconia Community Center on Union Ave, close to the Rite Aid and the high school; understand they have two indoor pickleball courts with a very nice hardwood playing surface that has been sanded recently(?), and the lines are masking tape, done very well, and easy to see.

Anyone know what the schedule is now for the winter, and how much does it cost?

Cannot find a website for this with schedule info?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
Steveo

Default Paddle tennis?

The game looks a lot like Paddle Tennis. I like Paddle Tennis better because you can use the back screens to play the ball off of.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default Gilford?

What's wrong with Gilford?

Gunstock opened today!

http://www.gunstock.com/
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Jeanzb1

Pickleball is a game that is very addicting! It's BIG in Florida and Arizona and has really caught on here in the last few years!

Yes, we play Monday nights at 6:45 pm until whenever at the Laconia Community Center. It costs $2 per person, and if you don't have paddles, we always have extras. It's VERY easy to learn and catch on quickly. The wooden floor in the Community Center is beautiful. It was an old floor, so they replaced it a year ago at a cost of $60K! The pickleball lines are not taped -- they are painted on the floor and easy to see. We have a very fun group of people that are regulars, but everyone is very welcoming and friendly to the newcomers!

In the summer we play twice a week. Once on Monday nights at the Community Center at 6:45 and then on Thursday nights at 6:30 outside at the Gilford tennis courts behind the high school.

It's FUN FUN FUN !!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
Jeanzb1

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention...... we haven't been able to play pickleball at the Community Center for the last few weeks because there is a Christmas Village set up in there. We will resume our schedule on Monday, December 22. There is also a group that plays in Meredith twice a week throughout the year. I believe information is available through the Meredith Rec. Dept.

Last edited by Jeanzb1; 12-06-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: omission
Old 12-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ..... masking tape for pickleball court?

Using masking tape to make the lines needed to create a pickleball court on a gym floor actually works out very, very well, in case anyone was wondering about this.

Placing green or blue masking tape on the gym floor to create a pickleball court is somewhat similar to a red clay tennis court that uses 2 1/4" wide, white vinyl tape that gets nailed into the red clay with aluminum nails similar to roofing nails. For a pickleball court, I've seen 1" wide green masking tape, and probably using 1 1/2" wide tape would be a better choice in my opinion.

In one gym that I know about, the tape has now been in place for about one year with lots of pickleball and other foot traffic use, and it stands up very very well.....like, probably a lot better than one would expect.

Thought I would throw this info out here, in case some other New Hampshire town is considering a pickleball court or two, or three, for their town gym and was wondering what's a very good, easy, and low-cost way to make the pickleball court lines.

Portable pickleball nets from www.pickleballcentral.com in Kent, Washington, and don't a-U-know-it ..... for 8.99 ... they sell brite yellow pickleball tape .... 2" x 200' ..... enuf for one court
Old 12-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
Jeanzb1

FLL: Going back five years ago, our pickleball group was playing in the Gilford Youth Center and we taped the court lines on the gymnasium floor. Well, the people in charge decided that they didn't like the tape and so essentially told us not to play there anymore. So we stopped playing there! But, as I said earlier, the Laconia Community Center painted our court lines on the floor when they refinished the gymnasium floor a year ago. We all love playing there and are grateful that they are so supportive of us seniors! We have also approached the Gilford Rec. Dept. and requested they permanently paint pickleball lines on the tennis courts in the spring, and we have every reason to believe they will. Hooray!!
Old 12-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Default .... two lets?

I believe that in tennis, the server gets an unlimited number of lets while serving, u-know when the served ball touches the top of the net but still lands into the correct service court.

However, I was informed by the receiving player that in pickleball the server is allowed just one let and will lose the point for serving up a second let. Is this correct? ... just one let allowed in pickleball?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
Jeanzb1

Interesting question! I don't know! But I can find out! A very good friend of ours is a pickleball referee out in Arizona (she plays up here with us all summer long) and I will email her right away and get back to you! We just had dinner tonight with them at T-Bones.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #17
Jeanzb1

Just got a response from my friend Joan who is an official pickleball referee and here is her response:

You can hit unlimited lets as long as the ball lands in the correct service box after it hits the net. If the serve hits the net and then lands out of bounds, in the kitchen or anywhere other place then the proper box, the serve is no good and then you would NOT get a second or third serve.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
fatlazyless

.....ok Jean...... thanks for your reply!.....so that was an incorrect call by the other side and don't a-U-know-it ....it was a major turning point in the game we played on Tuesday morning....and we went on to lose the game by something like 11-8 after a big come-back streak of about five straight points ...... hmmmmm ..... will have to file a complaint with the town board of review, or something....and go google the rules of pickleball ....so's I can document this particular rule concerning the number of lets allowed to the server ..... for sure, it seems like pickleball has a lot of rules....maybe there's a pickleball attorney on-board here who will take my case on for free?

.... just checked it out in the International Federation of Pickleball online....

In Section 4 Service Rules .... below 4.F.5. .... it says:

"IFP Comment: There is no limit to the number of lets a server may serve."

So, this very clearly answers my question.

Here is another question I have concerning the sidearm service motion used by a player that I know.

The IFP rulebook says:

Serve Motion - contact with the ball is made below waist level

Underhand defined - arm must be moving in an upward arc and paddle level shall be below the waist when it strikes the ball

"The highest point of the paddle head cannot be above any part of the line formed where the wrist joint bends."

My question is: so what exactly is this line formed where the wrist joint bends? ..... what does this mean? ....an illustration would be very helpful here! ... what is this all about?....what is the wrist joint as mentioned and what is the basic, simple difference between a legal underhand serve, and an illegal sidearm serve?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-10-2014 at 10:00 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #19
Mr. V

I'm pretty much addicted to an outdoor yard game, Ladder Golf, aka Ladder Ball.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #20
Jeanzb1

This is the response I received from my friend. Again, she is an official referee.

The waist is considered as belly button level. With a side serve the head of the paddle needs to be down and you can not cock your wrist. In the Spring there was a new set of rules. These are basically the same and only have a few things tweaked. I suggest that this person go on line to USAPA site and order a copy of the rules book.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Tampa Area

Spent a number of years in the Lauderdale area. Rarely do I meet someone from the Lakes Region area, even though I meet a lot of Bostonians in the Del Ray section.

The past few years were spent in the Sarasota area and I met a number of people from the Lakes Region! It makes me feel more at home.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #22
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Spent a number of years in the Lauderdale area. Rarely do I meet someone from the Lakes Region area, even though I meet a lot of Bostonians in the Del Ray section.

The past few years were spent in the Sarasota area and I met a number of people from the Lakes Region! It makes me feel more at home.
Our son Anson has an office in Lauderdale By The Sea. He was raised in Moultonborough.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #23
ApS

Question Six degrees of Separation...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Spent a number of years in the Lauderdale area. Rarely do I meet someone from the Lakes Region area, even though I meet a lot of Bostonians in the Del Ray section. The past few years were spent in the Sarasota area and I met a number of people from the Lakes Region! It makes me feel more at home.
My next-door neighbors and I "vacation" in second homes 2000 miles from the Lakes Region.

Last summer, totally by accident, we encountered each other at Johnson's Restaurant in New Durham. I had driven north from Somersworth, and they had just left Moultonborough—driving south back to their Miami home. At the time, they were a big family group heading south in two cars. Although they had just driven through Wolfeboro to get to Johnson's, they didn't remember driving through there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #24
fatlazyless

Default .....no pickle ball today: Tuesday, Jan 5, 2016

Piss me off big-time; just came from the Meredith Community Center, which normally and usually has three indoor pickle ball courts with four players/court up and running on Tuesdays and Fridays, 9-11am, throughout the winter. Last week, Christmas vacation week; both days were cancelled due to the Christmas vacation which is pretty much understandable, but now on Tuesday, January 5, I show up at 8:45 , expecting to play along with the 20-25 other players that are usually present ....... and much to my surprise ....... pickle ball for today has been cancelled because the Recreation Dept Staff is off to a conference, somewhere.

Isn't there a way to make today's pickle ball take place and just designate one of the pickle-ballers to be in charge ...... for crying-out-loud ..... and blah-blah-blah!

After all, the pickle-ballers are the demographic that is paying the town's property taxes, and carry the heavy load for the town here .....so's some type of adjustment could have been made to keep this Tuesday GAME GOING while the staff was away.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #25
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default And this has what to do with Gilford residents meeting in FL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Piss me off big-time; just came from the Meredith Community Center, which normally and usually has three indoor pickle ball courts with four players/court up and running on Tuesdays and Fridays, 9-11am, throughout the winter. Last week, Christmas vacation week; both days were cancelled due to the Christmas vacation which is pretty much understandable, but now on Tuesday, January 5, I show up at 8:45 , expecting to play along with the 20-25 other players that are usually present ....... and much to my surprise ....... pickle ball for today has been cancelled because the Recreation Dept Staff is off to a conference, somewhere.

Isn't there a way to make today's pickle ball take place and just designate one of the pickle-ballers to be in charge ...... for crying-out-loud ..... and blah-blah-blah!

After all, the pickle-ballers are the demographic that is paying the town's property taxes, and carry the heavy load for the town here .....so's some type of adjustment could have been made to keep this Tuesday GAME GOING while the staff was away.
What the heck does pickle ball in Merideth have to do with people last year getting together in FL? This threads last post prior to yours was in Dec 2014.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #26
fatlazyless

Default ....... oh well?

Oh well ..... at the time this morning....I was particularly annoyed because today's pickle ball had been cancelled, and I wanted to vent, but did not think it was appropriate to start a whole new thread, so I entered "pickle ball" into the winnipesaukee.com search and this old thread is what came up.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #27
Lrpickleball

Default Pickleball - when and where

I have a website that lists many of the places you can play pickleball around the lakes region. I can't guarantee that all of the times and dates are correct, but I try to keep track of what days various sites are closed. And there's a calendar of where to play when. The site is: http://lrpickleball.jimdo.com
Lrpickleball is offline   Reply With Quote