Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Kev&DiZ

Default Azure Marine

Can any one tell me anything about Azure boats...good or bad?? I was considering buying a 2006 used one and a friend of mine told me they were "junk." The boat I was looking at was a 2006 Azure AZ240. Thanks!
Kev&DiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Happy Gourmand

Weren't they just recently bought out by Cruisers? I thought I saw some Azures under the Cruisers badge
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
fpartri497

Default Azure

I had ( bought New ) from Wards-- shame on me a 2005 azure 21 ft. deck boat with a 5.0 l mercruiser. on of the best boats i have ever owned. It loved speed and handled like a dream.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Phantom

To the best of my knowledge ---

Azure is a product of the Engineering Team - including Chief Design engineer that left Crownline a few years ago (okay, maybe many years ago now).

If you look at them closely you will see VERY similar interior layouts & appointments as well as hull configurations.

With that said, I have never had one, ridden in one, or know anyone who has owned one --- but for me .... if it came out of the design book / team that developed my Crownline 230 (which it did based on my model year)--It can't be BAD!
Kev&DiZ (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Azure had some teething problems when 1st introduced in 2002/3, but, it is a well designed & built boat that compares favorably with CrownLine, SeaRay, etc/et al.
They are a nice machine, and the 240 is a good choice.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHBUOY For This Useful Post:
Kev&DiZ (03-28-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Kev&DiZ

Thanks for the replies so far! Yes, I did notice that it was very similar to the layout of of Crownline which is what caught my eye. My concern is I am trying to dispel some rumors I had heard about the poor integrity of the hull and over all quality of craftsmanship. One rumor being that a hull easily cracked when the boat was being lift out of the water and other bad rumors someone told me about that was experienced with other Azure boats. I was also told the company was bought out for a reason (ie., poor quality boats).

Also, this particular boat is called a "deck boat" with a "modified V" vs a "deep V" or bow rider. I have heard mixed things about how it would handle the big lake. (I do plan to test drive when possible).

Fpartri..why did you sell your Azure? What model did you have?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
NHBUOY

Lightbulb

Tony is his name-o.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Weren't they just recently bought out by Cruisers? I thought I saw some Azures under the Cruisers badge

Channel Marine is authorized dealer. I was seriously looking at a 27 ft BR a few years back, but I ended up with a 25ft Mariah, more of a barebones boat. Not looking back on my decision, as the Mariah was literally 1/2 the price of the Azure, the Mariah was 2 years old...brand new... and had .4 hours on it. Price was so low, I just could not pass on it.

If I was to get another boat, I would be looking at the Azure or a Cobalt.
Kev&DiZ (03-28-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev&DiZ View Post
Thanks for the replies so far! Yes, I did notice that it was very similar to the layout of of Crownline which is what caught my eye. My concern is I am trying to dispel some rumors I had heard about the poor integrity of the hull and over all quality of craftsmanship. One rumor being that a hull easily cracked when the boat was being lift out of the water and other bad rumors someone told me about that was experienced with other Azure boats. I was also told the company was bought out for a reason (ie., poor quality boats).

Also, this particular boat is called a "deck boat" with a "modified V" vs a "deep V" or bow rider. I have heard mixed things about how it would handle the big lake. (I do plan to test drive when possible).

Thanks!
I had the 21 footer AZ210 I think It was called. I traded after 3 years for a four wins 258 vista cruiser witch we live aboard for the season. now after only three years i want to move up to a 30 footer with twin engines. i want more live aboard room

Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev&DiZ View Post

Thanks!
Just curious, if you heard those things about the boats why even consider it.
Just saying with all the boat manufacturers out there why even take a chance on such a huge investment.
FYI I'd heard some negative things as well but being I was into the go fast boats I really didn't pay it much attention. I've heard they are an entry level boat.
Good luck with whatever you decide, as mentioned BIG investment.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Kev&DiZ

I was considering it because I had only heard those negative things from one person. I did not want to make a decision based on one person's opinion or experience so I was looking for other experiences from other people to make a more educated decision after I did some more research in addition to hearing about personal experiences. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #12
Peck

All boats have there problems at one point or another. The Azure line is not as popular a line as say Sea Ray or Crownline are and have not been around as long either. In 2005 - 07 they did have problems with cracking of the gelcoat, however the gelcoat is an egg shell finish to the boat. The figerglass hull will twist and flex and the gelcoat will not causing it to crack. The more you wake jump or pound around it the water, the more it will crack. Keep in mind the the cracking is normal to some extent as they all will do it at some point. The cracks are surface cracks and do not hurt the strenth of the boat. Most manufactures will not pay anymore to have them fixed under warranty. I do not own a boat but I have repaired 1000's of them over the years from 15 foot to 43 Motor Yatchs and I have seen it all. If they are hair line cracks - leave them alone. If the open up - get them fixed.

Don't rely on what others say about the boat you are looking at. You should look at mechanical as well as cosmedic. If at all possible take it out for a test ride the same as you would if you are looking at a car. Most people will take you out. If they won't, than stay away from it. If you can, take it to a Marina and have it checked over and inspected. If you pay for the inspection they have nothing to loose and you will have the ammo you need to make an offer
Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:
Kev&DiZ (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peck View Post
All boats have there problems at one point or another. The Azure line is not as popular a line as say Sea Ray or Crownline are and have not been around as long either. In 2005 - 07 they did have problems with cracking of the gelcoat, however the gelcoat is an egg shell finish to the boat. The figerglass hull will twist and flex and the gelcoat will not causing it to crack. The more you wake jump or pound around it the water, the more it will crack. Keep in mind the the cracking is normal to some extent as they all will do it at some point. The cracks are surface cracks and do not hurt the strenth of the boat. Most manufactures will not pay anymore to have them fixed under warranty. I do not own a boat but I have repaired 1000's of them over the years from 15 foot to 43 Motor Yatchs and I have seen it all. If they are hair line cracks - leave them alone. If the open up - get them fixed.

Don't rely on what others say about the boat you are looking at. You should look at mechanical as well as cosmedic. If at all possible take it out for a test ride the same as you would if you are looking at a car. Most people will take you out. If they won't, than stay away from it. If you can, take it to a Marina and have it checked over and inspected. If you pay for the inspection they have nothing to loose and you will have the ammo you need to make an offer
Cracks above the water line may be OK, but any cracks below waterline are a way for water to get trapped inside and eventually cause much bigger problems. Don't believe me as any good fiberglass repair shop.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
lagoon

Default 24' Azure

I have had my Azure for several years, bought it after one year and it has been great. No issues at all, it handles the big water great and with Bravo is very maneuverable when slow. I have had no hull surface cracks at all and the only issue has been some fading of the upper most blue paint panels covering the air inlets for the motor compartment.

Also it is a very good looking boat and is unique compared to the other look alike Sea Rays and such.
lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
quesperian

Default Azure Boats

Great line! Well manufactured. Italian boats originally www.azureitalia.it.

Bennington and Chriscraft aligned in 2003 to import into the US, interiors were done by bennington. Bennington was an investor as well as CC ( board members).

Owned now by Cruiser Yachts. Higher end boats . Crownline designer left company and went to Azure in 2004. Hulls and design are similar to that of crownline. same hull design and

All negative is a myth. They were impeccably made and designed. Great resale value. Highly recommend. In early 04-06 they ironed out all of the issues they had early on. 2007 upwards are great boats. Married Volvo Penta in 2006 and became an elite mfg. Issues in ownership and fallout caused the demise. Cruiser Yachts kept the designs, interiors etc and are selling the newest lines formerly created by Azure Marine.

Overall, highly recommend t Azure Marine. High end Boat, solid resale, great design, ride, comfort and looks. Would recommend to anyone.
quesperian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #16
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Cracks above the water line may be OK, but any cracks below waterline are a way for water to get trapped inside and eventually cause much bigger problems. Don't believe me as any good fiberglass repair shop.

I agree, any path for water to get in can definitly speed up the blistering process.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #17
boaterjanie

I bought the Cruiser Sports 258 from Channel a couple of years ago. Cruiser Yachts (a yacht company) wanted to quickly break into the runabout business. They purchased Azure and, as someone above mentions, the engineers from Azure left Crownlike to start their own company. Check them out at www.cruiseryachts.com. I test drove a Cobalt, Bryant, Crownline and Formula before purchasing. Mine has the deep-V, duo prop, mercruiser 300 HP... I believe it handled Winni better then the Cobalt, Crownline and Bryant. The 25 foot Crownline also seemed sluggish to me. I was not please with the Bryant... and the Formula was awesome, but could see spending an extra $25K as I truly could not feel a difference in acceleration, agility and bumpiness. My boat handles the broads excellently, jumps out of the hole smoothly and quickly. At first, I hated the huge swim platform off the back, but love it, now. I hated the look (at first), but it is very practical and I actually like the look more, now. All new boats have their issues... I had a dealer tell me that most new boats are only 85%. This was a Formula salesperson. It takes a summer to go back to the marina and work out some of the little nagging things. Anyhow, I enjoy my Cruiser Sport 258 and would recommend one.
boaterjanie is offline   Reply With Quote