Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
feb

Default Meredith Reval

Has anyone been visited by the appraisal company performing the Meredith town-wide reval? I read that the appraisers are concentrating on the Winnisquam area right now which doesn't make much sense to me since a good portion of these houses are seasonal so I can't imagine that a valid appraisal can be done with the doors locked and shades down. Does anyone know what an appraiser actually does after trudging through the snow to get to an unoccupied, locked home? Do they leave a note saying "Call Me in the Spring". Not sure why they didn't wait until Spring/Summer.

Thanks,
Frank.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
GreensKeeper

Hi Frank,

I live in a community on Lake Winnisquam and had the apprisers here just last week. Pretty basic stuff. They examined my home against what is recorded on town records. Look to see if I had added any improvements and such. I would say that half the homes here are seasonal and I have not heard yet how they handle the empty homes. I suspect they send them a letter and make arrangements to see the house. I hope they catch all those who have improved there homes without a building permit. I'm tired of subsidizing those that try to avoid paying their fair share.
GreensKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:05 AM   #3
mrportjeff

I am very failure with the workings of the appraiser (aka assessor) in NY. They can assess your home for what they “THINK” is in the house, to prove them wrong you must let the assessor into the dwelling and then everything is fair game. If you have done everything through permits legally, you could let them in to have a look. If you feel the assessment is too high you could grieve the assessment. For that it would be easiest to enlist the help of a local Real Estate and get what is called “comps” comparable sales of similar house in the area that have a lower assessment than yours, based on the evidence, there should be a lowering in assessment. If all else fails, you could take them to small claims court. That is how it works in NY; I would think it is somewhat similar in NH. Good Luck!
mrportjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
Bear Islander

If you are not home they will make an appointment. They will be doing the islands during the summer.

The in-home visit is not optional. They will go in every home in town. Apparently the courts have ruled that you must let them in.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:30 AM   #5
glennsteely

Default It sounds like that is what they are looking for...

Improvements without permits.....do it yourselvers beware......