Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Newbiesaukee

Default Is a PWC lift......

We were having a friendly discusssion. Assuming that there is a legal dock of maximuxm size ( 8'x40') on 100' of waterfront and someone wants more space for a PWC; is a separate PWC lift which sits independently on the lake bottom and is separate from the dock considered part of the "dock" allowance for the property? Does it need a permit? Does it need to follow the same rules as a seasonal dock such as not being placed within 20' of abutters waterfront, etc.

My feeling is that it really can't be done as the existing dock already is at a maximum and the PWC is really a seasonal dock. At the least it would need a permit (which does not seem likely to be granted) and it should be counted as a slip and would also be over the limit. Is the 8x40 dock the max for the waterfront?

But, I have been wrong before, so what is the story?
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Great question Newbisaukee. I'm wondering about it too, especially the 20' to the border rule. On one hand, the cradle takes up the same space as the PWC, but on the other hand, if its considered part of the dock, then the 20' rule may apply.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
codeman671

First off, the legal dock size assuming it is a liftout is 40' long and is 6' wide (on any lake greater than 1000 acres), not 8' wide. You are typically allowed 30' on a permanent dock unless you can prove shallow conditions. The legal definition of a slip is 25' of dock length from where the water depth hits 3 feet deep at full lake. On 100 feet of frontage you are allowed 2 slips, or one finger dock.

A pwc lift has to be removed during the off season and is handled by a permit by notification which is easy. As long as you follow the rules there is no reason to get denied. It does not count as used slip space. You are allowed 2 per lot. They still must meet the normal setbacks from your abutters which is 20 feet.

Watermark's web page has a great info page for permitting.

http://www.docksource.com/faqpermits.htm

Hope this clears things up!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Newbiesaukee

It almost clears it up. I did not want to confuse the original question, but the real discussion concerned 3 separate PWC lifts in the water perpendicular to the shoreline and lined up side by side. If I understand your answer, the owner would be allowed only 2 of these (for the 100' waterfront) and there must be no incursion into the 20' zone next to the abutter. The seasonal boat dock is then irrelevant to the discussion if I understand your answer.

Thank you
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
It almost clears it up. I did not want to confuse the original question, but the real discussion concerned 3 separate PWC lifts in the water perpendicular to the shoreline and lined up side by side. If I understand your answer, the owner would be allowed only 2 of these (for the 100' waterfront) and there must be no incursion into the 20' zone next to the abutter. The seasonal boat dock is then irrelevant to the discussion if I understand your answer.

Thank you
No problem, your original post did not mention 3 lifts so I did not touch on that. You are allowed 2 max anyhow, it does not matter if you have more frontage. I have 289' and am allowed 2. It sounds like you understood everything else just fine.

It cracked me up last year to see the yellow house by Glendale that had 3 or 4 in a row in a very obvious spot...They went to 3 floating ports this year which have no regulations on them, but do take up dock space. I tried those before and found that you need very calm water, otherwise your machines just wash right off them.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
townsde

I am looking at purchasing water front property. Where can I go to see what permits were obtained for the dock and beach fronts existing on this site?

Thanks
townsde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Long Pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by townsde View Post
I am looking at purchasing water front property. Where can I go to see what permits were obtained for the dock and beach fronts existing on this site?

Thanks
Here is a NH Wetlands Bureau link you can use to check what permits have been pulled for your property in the past (since 1971 I believe).

http://www2.des.state.nh.us/OneStop/...its_Query.aspx
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote