Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
DennisC

Default Who Remembers The Oak Birch Inn?

Though I have always lived in the San Fran bay area, I began to spend a few weeks in the summer along the east coast in the 1980's. One year I happened to come upon The Oak Birch Inn at Lake Winnipesaukee. At that time it was managed by a woman named Barbara Junta and her two daughters. The entire experience was so enjoyable I returned for another couple of summers.

A number of years passed, then in 1990 or 1991, I went out again and found the inn had burned down! But I managed to locate Barbara then living in Rochester, NH and we had lunch. Barbara had photos of the inn actually on fire! She said she had been called the night of the fire and had stood there helpless as the fireman were unable to save the landmark inn. That was the last time I ever had contact with her.

As many of you may know, the inn had quite a history beginning in the early 1900's. One of the people I met when I was there was "Ina" --a woman who still worked at the inn then, and, in fact, had worked there as a young girl. She told me many stories of the well-to-do folks who vacationed at the inn through the years.

Recently, I saw the obituary of a woman who may have been Barbara's sister --and quite possibly the real owner of the Inn. I seem to have a memory of her.

Can anyone out there supply me with information about Barbara, her daughters, or perhaps memories of the inn? I still have about 20 color slides I took of the inn when I was there in the early 1980's and I have many fond memories of that historic site.

Feel free to visit my Facebook page.

My best,
Dennis Caracciolo
Danville, CA [/B]

Last edited by DennisC; 11-20-2012 at 02:10 PM.
DennisC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DennisC For This Useful Post:
Altonbayicefishingfool (11-14-2012), Mr Cooke's Crew (01-05-2013), rjs5645 (04-10-2014)