Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
coley

Default Bear in Wolfeboro

We were up for our annual week on August 1-8. Usually up for a walk on Hopewell Point Road up to Forest Street around 6:30 each morning. On August 2nd, we were coming down Forest, and as usual my wife was ahead of me. I saw a motorcycle stop in the distance as I was approaching Sewall Road on the way down and all of a sudden out of the woods on the left side walks a HUGE black bear on its hind legs about 30 feet in front of me-I nearly died. It walked across the street and into the woods. I made sure that I didnt see any cubs and then basically sprinted back to the house we rented on Jockey Cove Road-I only wish I had my camera.......
coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,003 Times in 915 Posts

There are quite a few of them around; we have had two close encounters this year. They are basically pretty timid and are normally not any danger, no where near as dangerous as driving on Rt 128 in Mass.
It is always a treasure to have such a close viewing.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Tomt

One crossed Moultonborough Neck Rd right in front of my truck on Friday night. My wife and I had a good laugh when we realized the bear had used the crosswalk.
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
RLW

We have signs of them about every second or third nite. They cross our front lawn or the driveway up and down or across. We are in the woods on a lake and they seem to come and get the high bush blueberries my wife has planted around the yard and woods. We haven't seen him/her face to face but are picking up what he/she leaves behind with the shovel and rake the following morning.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I posted a pic a few days back. One went right behind me. Last summer I got up close and personal with a mother and 2 cubs.

I still say the lack of hunters in the past few years is allowing the population to grow as there are no threats to them. The same with the deer population.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links