Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Citroen Deux Chevaux

Could be time to bring back the Citroen Deux Chevaux, an economical little car designed for France just after the war.

The Deux Chevaux is one car that I have never seen in New Hampshire. Probably, one still lives in the Boston area, somewhere. it was an economical car made for the post-war economy of France.

Message to France President Sarkozy. Please return this summer to Wolfeboro, and bring along a Deux Chevaux!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Could be time to bring back the Citroen Deux Chevaux, an economical little car designed for France just after the war.

The Deux Chevaux is one car that I have never seen in New Hampshire. Probably, one still lives in the Boston area, somewhere. it was an economical car made for the post-war economy of France.

Message to France President Sarkozy. Please return this summer to Wolfeboro, and bring along a Deux Chevaux!

Ah yeah, the old 2CV. Seen many in Europe, none here. Canvas sling seats, 2 cylinders (probably where the name comes from), 30 HP-maybe?? Funny looking things, but they sold millions of them. About as spartan as you could make a car, but pretty rugged, I hear. Performance was on par with Massey Ferguson farm implements.

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #3
fatlazyless

...wow, what a picture...talk about an econo-box...the background looks just like New Hampshire.

Except for the headlights, that car looks like it is somewhat similar in size and design to a Toyota Prius. The Deux Chevaux was first sold in France in 1948, about the same time as the VW bug was first sold in Germany.

If gasoline costs five or six dollars, will the US see a return to vehicles similar to the Deux Chevaux? It was a small, four seat, light weight car with a two cylinder engine and an unusual manual transmission that came out of of the dash board.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
fatnoah

Here's one! Live in a city. My wife, 8 month old son, and I live in downtown Boston. We have one car and put a little less than 10,000 miles a year on it. Our monthly gas budget is $150 for a car that only gets about 22 mpg (actual mileage, not EPA guesstimate).

On any most days the week, there is at least one farmers' market reachable by public transportation so locally grown fresh produce can get gotten without even getting into the car.

We are certainly saving money on gas...but income taxes, not so much!
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Gearhead

Default Is that the "Green Cricket"?

Someone around Rochester has a 2CV! I saw someone pull up to an auto parts store as my son and I were walking out. He said that he'd had it for a while. What a wretched mess of engineering. I suppose they could make a hybrid out of it pretty easily: just mount a big key to the trunk and get out and wind it up when you're stopped in traffic.

Here's some real good advice on saving money: Buy a pellet stove and use it all the time in the Winter. Pellets are made here in NH and are renewable. They are also very clean burning and will heat an average house (2,000SF) for about $1,000 a year. The only thing cheaper might be wood, if you don't mind the constant tending and maintenance. The flue pipe on our stove never gets too hot to touch, even when it's going full on. We used our oil furnace exactly one time - the stove ran out of pellets when we were gone - and I ran the furnace for thirty minutes until the house was warm again. Our house was at least seventy degrees all Winter too.

If only I could run my car with pellets...
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post

Here's some real good advice on saving money: Buy a pellet stove and use it all the time in the Winter.
Don't the pellets take forever to split and stack though?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Don't the pellets take forever to split and stack though?
What takes the most time is turning that cordwood into sawdust first and then compressing it into those tiny pellets.Seems like a lot of work.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Ah yeah, the old 2CV. Seen many in Europe, none here. Canvas sling seats, 2 cylinders (probably where the name comes from), 30 HP-maybe?? ....
Deux Chevaux = 2 horses = 2hp for tax purposes, but actually they started out around 9hp and as time went on they grew to 33 hp.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote