Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Misty Blue

Default Milfoil in Moultonborough!

I had no idea that milfoil was a big problem in Multonborough. I guess that I live on the wrong (or right) side of the neck. But it is a BIG problem for anyone who has shoreside property or who pays property taxes in town, shore side or not.

Milfoil has invaded Moultonborough bay like fleas on a hound dog! If we want to keep our Lake free of this crap we MUST act NOW! It is spreading like, well, an invasive weed.

On 1-28-10 there will be a meeting of the board of selectmen in Moultonborough at 7 PM. People who want this issue address and are willing to pay for it (about $200,000 for starts) should have your voices heard.

I know that most of you who use the Lake are not able to vote or even speak at town meetings but your voices can be heard through the below contact.
wright2nancy@roadrunner.com

This 200K sounds like a good investment for the town and a way to say "thank you" to the people who pay our taxes.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
TomC

Default the lake is a state playground..

right? there's been thread after thread about how the landowners shouldn't have any more rights to the water than anyone else.. I expect to see the same passion from the boaters who want to raft anywhere/everywhere to foot the bill for milfoil mitigation. Maybe a fee tacked on to the registrations or perhaps higher launch ramp fees..? That's fair right? Or is THIS an expense that it's OK to stick to the property tax payers in Moultonborough and the rest of the waterfront towns?

At a minimum, since we're constantly reminded that the lake is a state resource, then the state should pick up the tab..
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
right? there's been thread after thread about how the landowners shouldn't have any more rights to the water than anyone else.. I expect to see the same passion from the boaters who want to raft anywhere/everywhere to foot the bill for milfoil mitigation. Maybe a fee tacked on to the registrations or perhaps higher launch ramp fees..? That's fair right? Or is THIS an expense that it's OK to stick to the property tax payers in Moultonborough and the rest of the waterfront towns?

At a minimum, since we're constantly reminded that the lake is a state resource, then the state should pick up the tab..

We will see.

Last edited by Yosemite Sam; 01-25-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Changed wording
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

One major reason for voters to fund the milfoil project is that it will help keep their property tax bills from growing as fast. As milfoil spreads down the neck, infested shorefront property values will be depressed when compared to those with clear water. Their property tax bill will go down, but they will be swimming in milfoil. Lower tax revenue from milfoil shoreline properties have to be made up across the tax base, including those without shorefront. Over 70% of Moultonborough's tax base is shorefront properties, yet a majority of voters are not shorefront property owners. It is a complicated argument, but one that makes sense. Nature brings us snow and we fund the plows. Nature (and careless boaters) bring us milfoil, and it must be removed. The state will help fund the work, but it is in Moultonborough's financial interest to gain a reputation for clear water.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post

I agree as well. Milfoil is not just a town problem, it is everyone's problem.

I also see LG's point and how a devaluation of waterfront properties will have a huge impact on the tax burden on the non-waterfront properties, assuming the base remains the same.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
jogator1

TomC is right on. I have read so much the past few years about how the shore owners don't have any more right to the water than boaters. Well you can't have it both ways. When it comes time to "maintain" the water don't just stick it to the shoreowners, have the boaters kick in also. I suspect you won't get much participation from the "boaters rights to the water" crowd unless it involves their rights to the water. This is just my opinion as I am neither a shoreline owner or boater on winnipesaukee.
jogator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

TomC is right on........how many threads and posts have we read with boaters angrily scolding the selfish shore front owners about their "rights" to raft or anchor right up to the high water mark in somebody's back yard........oooooop's....time to pony up some cash for the milfoil problem, which, by the way, is caused by boats that are trailered in.
No doubt they will all cheerfully pitch in.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Your 2010 NH boat registration includes an invasive species 5-buck charge that goes to the F & G invasive species eradication program, or something like that.

Want to save 5-bucks.....just register at the Glendale-Gilford MP Hdqtrs walk-in window w/ 3 special guest visitor waterfront parking spots for quick & easy car parking and your reg costs 5-bucks less than registering at a marina or town hall......& you pocket the difference by eliminating the middle-man.....plus all the reg money goes to the state and does not get split with the local town!

Is that a good thing....or a bad thing....I dunno....all I know is I save 5-bucks!

Imagine that, you save 5-bucks and get to use what's probably the finest parking spot on the lake while helping to stop the invasion of the milfoil weed! Gotta luv the Marine Patrol!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
On 1-28-10 there will be a meeting of the board of selectmen in Moultonborough at 7 PM. People who want this issue address and are willing to pay for it (about $200,000 for starts) should have your voices heard.
Do you have a detailed plan as to how that much money will be spent on this project? 200K seems like a lot of money for the Moultonborough taxpayers to fund. Funding from other private sources and the Department of Environmental Services (DES) should be a big part of your plan. I think the tax payers will want to hear that you have pursued all avenues before you ask them to fund that much money.

Variable milfoil has been a growing problem throughout New England. Because it propagates so readily and spreads downstream, it is essential to take a comprehensive approach to eradicating it. Even though the state DES water division is involved in the process of developing environmentally-safe plans to control it, armies of volunteers, organized town by town or lake by lake are required to carry on the battle.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
TomC is right on........how many threads and posts have we read with boaters angrily scolding the selfish shore front owners about their "rights" to raft or anchor right up to the high water mark in somebody's back yard........oooooop's....time to pony up some cash for the milfoil problem,which,by the way, is caused by boats that are trailered in.
No doubt they will all cheerfully pitch in.
Boats can transport milfoil from one area to another, but they are not the only problem. The water quality has to be ripe for milfoil to grow. Where milfoil is growing, there is too much food in the water, caused largely by rapid run-off areas and to some degree by failed septic systems and lawn fertilizer. The milfoil program must eventually expand to identify and deal with phosphorus sources.

Homeowner harvesting is also a problem, likely a bigger one than boat traffic. Without the proper vacuum equipment, pulled weeds float down the lake to infest other food-rich spots.

I'm encouraged that the Milfoil committee in M'boro has scoped the project as a major one, rather than skimping. Getting rid of milfoil is a 5-year project at best, and yearly monitoring will be required. Committing large funds to the project will look good on matching fund requests to the state. If this proposal passes, there will likely be a boat monitor posted at the Moultonborough launches, especially Lees Mills.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
4 for Boating

Default Map Showing Problem Areas

Does an updated map of the areas of infestation exist for Winni?

Anyone have a link to such a document?

Of course I have seen and witnessed the stuff in various parts of the lake but it would be interesting to see things from a big picture perspective.

Thanks
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
Does an updated map of the areas of infestation exist for Winni?

Anyone have a link to such a document?

Of course I have seen and witnessed the stuff in various parts of the lake but it would be interesting to see things from a big picture perspective.

Thanks
Here's the map the milfoil committee is working from.

The link is http://www.moultonborough.org/Pages/...20Comm%20Index
Attached Images

Last edited by Lakegeezer; 01-24-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: add link
Lakegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
Misty Blue

Default Why should we pay?

I hope that this thread does not turn into a contest between boaters and peoperty owners. It is too important for that.

Getting rid of the milfoil is in the best intrest of EVERYONE.

Boaters don't want this stuff where they anchor out.

Property owners (so far I have been lucky) don't want to have this on their beaches with the resulting devaluation of their property.

When the lakeside owners lose value in their places the people in town will get an increase in their tax rates.

Let's do some "back of the envalope" math...I'm gonna try to round down on these numbers.

The property valuation in Moultonborough is about $2.85 billion. 70% of that is shore front property so $2.85 X .7 = about $2 billion. Say only 10% of the shore front properties are affedted...

$2,000,000,000 X 10% is about $200,000,000 in lost property value.

Now $200 million X a tax rate of $8.50 per thousand is $170,000 in lost taxes per year.

My math may be a bit off but the numbers seem reasonable. It seems to me that we can pay the piper today or pay tomorrow.

And if that 10% increases to 20% then....

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
breathe easy

Default Video of Selectmen meeting with millfoil warrant article

Here is a link to the Moultonboro Selectmen meeting on January 21st where Peter Jensen the Chair of the M'boro millfoil committee presented the committees recommendations. It starts about 1 minute in and lasts about 20 minutes. Chair Karel Crawford was not enthusiastic unfortunately and this is one of the times that citizens need to show up for the discussion and vote at town meeting.
breathe easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
ApS

Default The Contrarian View...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
"...I hope that this thread does not turn into a contest between boaters and property owners...It seems to me that we can pay the piper today or pay tomorrow..."
1) Maybe "The contest between boaters and property owners" can be stopped by transplanting M'boro's milfoil to Braun Bay.

2) The presence of milfoil has already affected property values as much as it's going to. Getting rid of it once isn't getting rid of it forever. (Meaning, the $200K is not just one payment, but just the first in a series of payments). I'm not reassured that "the poison is OK for the water", either.

3) Fishing is an economic benefit to the State and the Moultonborough locale. I recall that lake weeds harbor lots of natural fish food. Wouldn't it be helpful to learn if exotic milfoil is helpful in keeping bass numbers up? (A milfoil mat could be where fingerlings can safely hide out and feed).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
Yosemite Sam

I commend Peter Jensen and the Moultonboro Milfoil committee for taking on such a challenge as this.

It would be nice to see the committees name be “Lake Winnipesaukee Milfoil Committee” instead of each town having their own group of people doing just one section of the Lake.

The whole Lake needs to be doing the same thing at the same time in order for the Milfoil to be eradicated.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
lawn psycho

Default Boaters

This needs to be a lake wide effort. Spot treatment won't be nearly as effective.

Perhaps rather than wasting time trying to ban boater activities from areas of the lake, the folks on Moultonborough should be working to ask NH for aid and to attack it from a larger scale.

Boaters are now paying a fee as part of registration. However, the bad part about this is people may have the impression that milfoil spread is soley due to boats. Education is key. That includes homeowners near the lake and the areas that drain into it. Products that contain any phosphorous should be pulled from area stores or at least voluntarily by merchants.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
Resident 2B

Default Milfoil in Lake Winnipesaukee

YS is right on with his suggestion that this must become a lake wide effort.

The current milfoil assessment on boat registrations does not come close to funding the work required to remove the milfoil and keep it from coming back. My opinion is the milfoil fee must be raised significantly and the local communities must also provide funding and work together to get the job done.

A clean lake is key to the survival of local communities and a big tourist business. Where would NH be if Lake Winnipesaukee was overrun with milfoil?

This is a subject we all should agree on and become active in supporting. If we ignore this problem for a few more years, it will require a much bigger effort to address.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #19
ApS

Post Starve it...

An extreme view would be that "Winnipesaukee will be overrun with milfoil".

Milfoil can't grow in the deep parts of the lake and there are many square miles where milfoil would be excluded simply by depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
"...The whole Lake needs to be doing the same thing at the same time in order for the Milfoil to be eradicated..."
Why I appreciate every comprehensive approach, it's questionable that milfoil can be eradicated: exotic milfoil is not only fast-growing, it can sprout from a small fragment. Milfoil would be less of a problem if communities stopped "feeding it" with runoff that is nutritious for it.

Rather than spend funds on frivolous "shovel-ready" projects, a wide-based sewer system that diverts such nutrients from the Winnipesaukee Basin would make far more sense.

IMHO.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
An extreme view would be that "Winnipesaukee will be overrun with milfoil".

Milfoil can't grow in the deep parts of the lake and there are many square miles where milfoil would be excluded simply by depth.

Why I appreciate every comprehensive approach, it's questionable that milfoil can be eradicated: exotic milfoil is not only fast-growing, it can sprout from a small fragment. Milfoil would be less of a problem if communities stopped "feeding it" with runoff that is nutritious for it.

Rather than spend funds on frivolous "shovel-ready" projects, a wide-based sewer system that diverts such nutrients from the Winnipesaukee Basin would make far more sense.

IMHO.
You hit it right on the nail! Back in the 70's and 80's there was an ambitous federal and state plan to have a sewer line around the lake. The money ran out when the sewer line hit the Wise Owl Store on Rte 11. The old lake shore railroad bed was use to bury the sewer line. That was when they realize the sewage treatment plant on lake Winnisquam was causing substantial algae blooms on that lake. The project was shut down so that they can extend the sewage line down to the Merrimac River and build another plant in Franklin. Lots of money wasted. (No puns intended )
Old 02-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Preparing to do Battle

From the Citizen 2/5

Quote:
Town prepares to battle milfoil
Moultonborough:
By BEA LEWIS
bwheel@metrocast.net

Friday, February 5, 2010
The town with the greatest amount of lakefront land in the state is preparing to do battle with the aquatic weed milfoil in a big way.

Following a lengthy debate on Thursday, Moultonborough selectmen voted unanimously to support a petitioned warrant article for Town Meeting that seeks to raise $200,000 to chemically treat the noxious weed that can grow up to an inch a day.

The purpose of the Milfoil Control Trust Fund is the ongoing management of the exotic weed in the town's waterways. It designates the selectmen as agents to expend under rules and regulations to be promulgated.

The town's advisory budget committee also voted unanimously Thursday night to support the measure at Town Meeting, March 13.

"I'm convinced this initiative is the most effective thing you can do this year to help improve the economy," said Peter Jenson, chair of the town's milfoil committee.

He estimated that 80 to 90 percent of the town's businesses rely on traffic generated by the community's high-quality water resources.

The committee worked with the N.H. Department of Environmental Services to develop a budget and proposed treatment plan that would allow for a full-scale war against the aquatic plant that can clog swimming areas, foul boat props and lower lakefront property values.

Moultonborough currently has one of the worst infestations of milfoil on Lake Winnipesaukee, according to Jensen who said the state's last survey recorded 201 acres of the leafy green plant in the inner section of Moultonborough Bay alone.

The proposed $200,000 would allow treatment for two growth cycles of the plant – spring and fall – to help curb its continued propagation, Jensen explained.

Karel Crawford, chair of the five-member board of selectmen, initially said she favored putting $100,000 in the fund, stressing that she represents all town residents, including those who do not own waterfront land.

Jensen argued that everyone in the community has a stake in high water quality, noting the town of 5,000 residents has three public boat launches and as many beaches.

Crawford ultimately voted to support the $200,000 amount.

Meanwhile, Selectman Ed Charest stressed that milfoil is not the only thing degrading the water quality of the Big Lake. He noted the local planning board is proposing two zoning amendments regarding storm water management and groundwater protection that are key to helping improve local water quality. He urged members of the milfoil committee to lobby townspeople to support those proposed amendments as well.

Several other petitioned warrant articles are now on the town warrant, seeking to collectively raise some $28,000 for milfoil treatment in various areas of the lake as well as on Lee's Pond. Selectman Joel Mudgette said he would propose from the floor of Town Meeting that the warrant article seeking to establish the Milfoil Control Trust Fund be taken up first by voters. If it is approved, the other articles would be tabled, allowing funding for all the milfoil treatment to be expended from the trust fund, he explained. However, if voters nix the $200,000 request, the other articles could still be acted on, he explained.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Looks good.

I think they are on the right track with the zoning ordinances on top of the $200,000 allocation. I'm just wondering what the state is doing with the money they are collecting off boat registration? Shouldn't the state be helping?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #23
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I think they are on the right track with the zoning ordinances on top of the $200,000 allocation. I'm just wondering what the state is doing with the money they are collecting off boat registration? Shouldn't the state be helping?
Agree this is the right thing and the select board is to be commended for its courage to recommend such an expensive warrant in tough times. $200K is a good start, but just a start. $100K would be a waste of money. The area to be treated is a headwater of the lake, and a source of much milfoil spread to other parts of the lake as water flows south towards the Weirs

The state funds are limited, and are given out in a sharing arrangement. If the proposed level of committment is granted by the voters, Moultonborough will show it is serious and that should attract more of the state funds.

There are good but localized efforts around the lake and the state is starting to pull the towns together into a coordinated effort. There is a information sharing, but the state does not have the funds or authorization to take charge. That could change if the lake slips from the classification of pristine to transitional (oligotrophic to mesotrophic are the scientific terms). As a benchmark, in a pristine lake you can see objects at greater than 12 feet. Visibility in a transitional lake is 7-12. Enriched (eutrophic) visibility is less than 7 feet. At the Lees Mills ramp, visibility is already down to 3-5 feet.

Moultonborough's action will be noticed by other towns, no matter which way the vote goes. No other town is even in the ball park of budgeting $200K and treating it as a town wide project. This could be the spark that unites the lake against the weed. If nothing else, it recalibrates people's thinking of the cost to do it right.

There are also warrants for steep slope construction restrictions and other run-off reduction to be voted on. This comes on the heals of the shoreline protection act, which is also designed to keep plant food out of the water. The town is looking at the whole picture, but putting in a sewer system isn't on the table. That kind of money just isn't available. The new rules about septic systems are pretty effective, but indeed, a sewer system would be nice.

Better water quality may be wishful thinking though. It depends on the non-shoreline owners of Moultonborough to vote for it. What is really needed is a "get-out-to-vote" effort for those who favor this funding. As the March town meeting approaches - expect to hear a lot of noise about that.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #24
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

This is a problem that needs to be tackled head on. I am not a shore property owner in Moultonborough, but the quality of our lake effects everyone and I'm glad to pay my share.
Every restaurant, store, shop and service business will feel the pinch if we allow the quality of the lake to deteriorate.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #25
farmfooz

Default Toltec Point MF

I grew up on toltec and when I was a kid we had minimal MF in front of our house...now if you go over there its like lees mills!. We are talking deep water too. It seems this stuff is getting more prolific and established. It has been the scurge of fresh water environments for a century or more in the usa..yet another painful economic problem we can thank the far east for. The state does nothing to ensure this stuff does not migrate (like no rafting zones or even no GO zones) Massachusetts does nothing to educate the public about sharing invasive species at its public ramps either. (except for the Quabbin) With the lake and the water quality being the number one economic driver of the lakes region.. I would think this issue would be tackled at the state level (google: clear lake in california) this could become something that hurts the state forever and tanks our local economies for the long haul. We dont want that lake to be "eewww" people are wimps nowadays, and will never come back once they get attacked by the MF... It is bad enough now in Paugus bay in August with the bacteria making the papers and people sick (I was one of them)

Last edited by farmfooz; 02-09-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: I cant spell..
farmfooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #26
4 for Boating

Default Water Depth

So, how deep does the water need to be before the stuff does not take hold? Any idea?
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #27
ApS

Lightbulb Slow it—Don't Poison it.

1) In South Florida's clear-running rainwater canals, milfoil can root in 20 feet of water. (Five days a week, a barge harvests big piles from all the canals, county-wide—it's trucked away—then starts all over again).

2) In Lake Winnipesaukee, it's rarely seen on rocky-bottomed locales that face the prevailing NW wind: where there's been clear-cutting, development, lawns, rapid runoff—plus the silting that results—milfoil can't help but flourish.

3) In Florida, I've always pulled the stuff, dried it and burned it. It burns hot, so maybe the pulled Milfoil can feed the Bridgewater Power Plant.

4) Septic Leachates contain the essentials for milfoil "food". (Phosphorus and Nitrogen). Phosphorus is largely regulated in detergents; however, Phosphorus is exempted by the Federal Government in dishwasher detergent.

(So you "Greenies", get out the sponge, "Dawn" and hot water—like me! ).

5) Nitrogen milfoil "food" is provided by septic leachates. (Anthropogenic Milfoil-Feeding—AMF?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
"...Back in the 70's and 80's there was an ambitious federal and state plan to have a sewer line around the lake..."
Reducing nutrients would reduce the rate of milfoil growth so, maybe, it's close to "shovel-ready"?

Where's our NH Congresswoman on this?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #28
flyguy

Default Here is the enemy.

Not taken in Moultonboro, but a typical example from elsewhere on Winnipesaukee. If it were to get any worse, the docks will become useless. What then happens to the property values?
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #29
hancoveguy

Default great pic

Great picture and a great example of what could happen... just out of curiosity where is this taken and when?

thanks
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #30
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Carp in Arizona

My very wise 92 year old mother who lives in Arizona tells me that carp are used to control millfoil in small lake/pond in her retirement community. I found the attached article through a google search, and although it dates back to 1990, much of it is relevant and informational (and to be sure, much has been further researched since that time). Allow me to share, at the following link:

http://turf.lib.msu.edu/1990s/1990/900901.pdf

In any case, the article contains some interesting "food for thought" and I rather imagine (or would certainly hope) the powers that be in the state of New Hampshire have consulted with their counterparts in other states who are facing similar challenges with their respective bodies of water.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #31
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Anybody ever stop to think, milfoil is mother natures way of trying to tell us something? Like maybe we are over developing and over using this wonderful resource.... All the development and nice homes are nice, but all the wonderful yards with green grass and beautiful flower beds come at a cost.... Not everyone follows the rules and use environmentally friendly fertilizers...

don't even get me started on beaches, even the perched ones that aren't supposed to be as intrusive.

I am not some earthy crunchy person or environmentalist with an agenda here folks, but the time has come and we are paying the piper..... controlling the milfoil is going to expensive and an ongoing battle for years to come.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #32
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Anybody ever stop to think, milfoil is mother natures way of trying to tell us something? Like maybe we are over developing and over using this wonderful resource.... All the development and nice homes are nice, but all the wonderful yards with green grass and beautiful flower beds come at a cost.... Not everyone follows the rules and use environmentally friendly fertilizers...

don't even get me started on beaches, even the perched ones that aren't supposed to be as intrusive.

I am not some earthy crunchy person or environmentalist with an agenda here folks, but the time has come and we are paying the piper..... controlling the milfoil is going to expensive and an ongoing battle for years to come.
You are exactly right. The time has come to pay the piper, but it is not something to avoid, since we have already heard his tune. Once we decide to battle milfoil, we'll start figuring out the sources and think of ways to slow down the growth. Fertilizer scofflaws are part of the problem, but run-off from the entire watershed is also a problem. At this point, it is cheaper to fight the symptoms than fix the root problem. Similar to the climate problem and who knows, maybe part of it.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #33
phoenix

i live in one of the areas with high Milfoil infestation. I have seen the growth since we bought tehehouse in 2003. Any one home owner can't solve the problem but if not solved I do think property values will drop and so won't taxes. We try to handle our own problems but when boats go by they cut the milfoil off further out on the water and the milfoil drifts in and if not adressed in a day roots and starts growing. So ( I am bias) but in the end if the town does nothing values will drop and taxes will get shifted to non lake front owners and boats owners and fishermen will avoid the north end of the lake and everyone will lose
Old 02-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #34
breathe easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
My very wise 92 year old mother who lives in Arizona tells me that carp are used to control millfoil in small lake/pond in her retirement community. .
Asian carp themselves are an invasive species that are infesting major waterways and lakes and those folks are looking for ways to get rid of the carp.
breathe easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #35

Default Looks like Pickel Cove in Laconia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Great picture and a great example of what could happen... just out of curiosity where is this taken and when?

thanks
Looks like Pickerel Cove several years ago, it has been treated with a herbicide and they have had divers manually pull over the last couple of years. Would be interesting to see the after photo to see what kind of effect a management plan has on the cove
newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #36
Long Island Baba

Default Q&A at Mboro Library 7pm March 1st

The Moultonborough Milfoil Committee will give a presentation followed by Q&A on the effects that milfoil has on our waterways and our economy.

The meeting will be held at the Moultonborough Public Library on Monday, March 1st at 7pm.

Guests are:
Marc Ballard, Senior Biologist with Aquatic Control Technologies
Ken Marschner, Chairman of the Wolfeboro Milfoil Committee

Topics of discussion:

* What is milfoil and how does it spread?
* How can milfoil be controlled?
* How does milfoil affect our economy?
* How does milfoil affect your taxes?
* Why is the Moultonborough Milfoil Committee requesting a $200,000 Trust Fund at the upcoming Town Meeting?

More information on the subject of milfoil can be found at the Town of Moultonborough website under Conservation Commission.

http://www.moultonboroughnh.gov/Page...20Comm%20Index
Long Island Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #37

Default M'boro Vote

Does anyone know the outcome of the vote on the town warrents?
newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #38
wifi

The Milfoil vote will be at the town meeting this Saturday.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #39
Lakegeezer

Default $200K Budget Item Passed!

Congratulations to the milfoil committee in Moultonborough for putting together a solid case. The warrant article to budget $200,000 for milfoil control passed unanimously with no opposing discussion.

This sets a new standard for other towns to follow. However, it is only an important first step – control of nutrients flooding into the lake will help restore water quality to a point that does not support milfoil in the first place.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #40
phoenix

thats good news for us in Green's basin
Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #41
hancoveguy

good news indeed...

HCG
Old 03-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #42
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
good news indeed...

Ditto, I support the expenditure all the way
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #43
phoenix

well they did some of green's basin yesterday but the worst areas weren't done as someone in fish and game on Monday said that there maybe a minnow that feeds on milfoil( an evasive species) might be endangered so after a fully approved permit that cost 4000 some lo-- decides at the last minute to stop the process
Old 06-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #44
Lakegeezer

Indeed, NH Fish and Game requested that the treatment be kept 300 feet from suspected loon nests. The endangered species is the "Bridle Shiner". It apparently likes to breed in milfoil. The NHFG fish biologist feels getting rid of milfoil is impossible anyway, and doing so will disrupt the population of the Bridle shiner. A quote from the memo includes:

Milfoil fragments were abundant throughout the area. The argument that not treating an area due to the presence of loons or bridle shiners will result in an expansion of milfoil in subsequent years, does not take into account the abundance of milfoil in untreated areas and the prevalence of milfoil fragments throughout the lake. In other words, milfoil cannot be eradicated and will expand into suitable habitat unless it is treated year after year. This approach is costly, unsustainable, and actually destroys habitat for certain species (i.e. bridle shiners). The threat of extirpation of a sensitive species should therefore outweigh the temporary reduction in milfoil coverage.

Milfoil in this area of the lake is distributed among native plants and does not appear to be impacting fish and wildlife. It actually appears to benefit many fish species. It would be more cost effective in the long run to accept milfoil as a component of the ecosystem and to take a more conservative approach toward milfoil management that focuses on reducing conflicts with boating and swimming while taking into account the needs of fish and wildlife.
Jonas Pilot (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #45
phoenix

maybe then the town should lower the property taxes of the areas affected and send the bill to the biologist. so let the whole lake go but we will have a lot of shiners
Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #46
hancoveguy

Hey Bridle Shiners are people too!!! Unbelievable, another case of throwing the baby out with the bath water...Environmentalists and conservationists are ruining this country, they have gone way overboard and they are given wayyyyy too much power. The local governments are afraid of them and it just keeps getting worse..
Old 06-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #47
RI Swamp Yankee

Bridle Shiners are endangered .... in Pennsylvania and "of concern" in MA. There is no issue in NH.

I also found this:

The densely growing Eurasian Watermilfoil aquatic plant hinders spawning areas for the minnow and may contribute to its decline.

LINK
Lakegeezer (06-28-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #48
pcmc

Where did the Bridle Shriner breed prior to the Milfoil?

Also, what type of treatment will be done, and how will harm the Loon?
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #49
Shore Driver

What method are they using for removal?

Here in CT, a local lake was competely rid of milfoil by a method called "suction harvesting", whereby a diver goes down with a giant vacuum, pulls the milfoil by hand, and sucks the milfoil up to a bag in a boat above. Expensive, time-consuming, and apparently highly effective.

The other option is 2-4D pellets, which are less effective.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #50
pcmc

Suction harvesting sounds like the way to go if its that effective, the sooner the better!

+1 What method is planned for removal?

Shore Driver, how was it tackled in CT., via subcontractor, or do the lake regions, or State, maintain thier own equiptment, staff, and disposal of the weed?
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #51
TomC

Default plant-i-cide!

since i got a letter from the town last week that said during treatment drinking from intake pipes would be prohibited (and no removal will take place within 50ft of wells) - it does not appear to be a mechanical removal...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #52
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I believe they do the chemicals first and then the harvesting.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #53
Lakegeezer

The chemicals kill the milfoil, but its phosphorus laden carcass needs to be removed or it becomes food for algae and other plants. After the large areas are treated, harvesting can control the small outbreaks. The weed watchers program is chartered with monitoring the treated areas for new colonies.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #54
AEM

Post Milfoil Harvesting

Due to rules of this forum, I don't want to get commercial. I will put something up in the classified section. In the meantime, you can go to our website, www.aquaticem.com and make contact with us there. Or PM me.

I am a senior member of this forum under my non-commercial moniker.

If you wish for me to add non-commercial information to this discussion, I would be more than happy to do so. I like the discourse that takes place here and do not want to impede it (or get in trouble). Let me know.
AEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AEM For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (06-29-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #55
Shore Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
Suction harvesting sounds like the way to go if its that effective, the sooner the better!

+1 What method is planned for removal?

Shore Driver, how was it tackled in CT., via subcontractor, or do the lake regions, or State, maintain thier own equiptment, staff, and disposal of the weed?
It was subcontracted out once the town council voted on it and approved the expenditure. Pretty much a no-brainer for any lakeside community.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #56
AEM

Post Info in Classified

I put company info in the Property Improvement & Maintenance section of Classifieds.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #57
trfour

Thumbs up Some promising News...

From the Citizen. Milfoil treatment appears successful, in Lake Opechee.
http://citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...909/-1/CITIZEN

Lets hope that this is the beginning of the end for milfoil in our Lakes.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #58
Tiger Lilly

Horrors! You aren't kidding! We kayaked out or Lee's Mills and it was EVERYWHERE!!

Later in the week, we kayaked on Silver Lake. They had a person at the put-in place checking to make sure no boat was bringing in the dreaded stuff and it has worked. Silver Lake is clear and beautiful.
Tiger Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #59
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
Horrors! You aren't kidding! We kayaked out or Lee's Mills and it was EVERYWHERE!!

Later in the week, we kayaked on Silver Lake. They had a person at the put-in place checking to make sure no boat was bringing in the dreaded stuff and it has worked. Silver Lake is clear and beautiful.
There are people checking every weekend at Glendale as well. All boats launching or loading are checked.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #60
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

Unfortunately, NH Fish and Game doesn't share your view about the dangers of milfoil. They threatened Aquatic Control and Lycot which resulted in reduced treatments in Lees Pond and Greens Basin.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #61
phoenix

The Moultonboro Milfoil Committee sent out a letter recently clarifying what happened. First the State body solely responsible for approval is the Dept of Agriculture. The approval was granted for June 22 treatment. On June 17th an employee Matthew Carpenter e mailed Lycott saying they could be sued for endangering the Shiners. Moultonboro didn't have enough time to get the State to indemnify the company so the treatment was stopped in some areas. Amazing to me that one employee could go around the State's approval process . They will try again in September.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #62
AEM

Exclamation Double check your sources

I believe that NH Department of Environmental Services, Exotic Species Program is responsible for milfoil issues.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #63
Sue Doe-Nym

Perhaps you should double check your sources. Phoenix is correct in his statement that neither DES nor F&G gives final approval, it is Dept. of Agriculture. Strange but true. F&G used to have veto power over approvals but they lost it and appear to be trying a new tactic. There is an important meeting scheduled for Friday, July 30th at 5:00 PM with the head of F&G.

Suggest going thru the Moultonborough Milfoil Committee information on the Town website.

Last edited by Sue Doe-Nym; 07-27-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: left out a word
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #64
Lakegeezer

Default F&G vs Milfoil Committee - Thursday @5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Perhaps you should double check your sources. Phoenix is correct in his statement that neither DES nor F&G gives final approval, it is Dept. of Agriculture. Strange but true. F&G used to have veto power over approvals but they lost it and appear to be trying a new tactic. There is an important meeting scheduled for Friday, July 30th at 5:00 PM with the head of F&G.

Suggest going thru the Moultonborough Milfoil Committee information on the Town website.
Checking the M'boro website, found a notice for a meeting TOMORROW - THURSDAY for the meeting with F&G. There will be a special meeting of the Moultonborough Milfoil Committee and Fish & Game Director Glenn Normandeau on: Thursday, July 29th, 2010 From 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM in the Ernest Davis Meeting Room, Town Hall, 6 Holland Street, Moultonborough, NH 03254
Sue Doe-Nym (07-28-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #65
Lakegeezer

Default New Milfoil Mapping

Where is the milfoil in Moultonborough? An update to DES's site survey map is posted on the Milfoil Committee's web site. A better question to ask is, "where isn't it"?