Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
diprna

Default Glass on the beach

Hi ~ we purchased our bungalow on Meredith Bay in March this year. There is only one small dissatisfaction/surprise we've observed as we hang at waters edge more and more....every day pieces of glass wash up on to the beach. We have a small sandy beach and even though I always ask the kids to put something on their feet...they don't. Does this happen everywhere? We were told by a long time neighbor that our home has a history of being a rental to partying college students....maybe it's just in front of our house this happens from lots of parties in the past and eventually it will subside....hopefully! Thanks for any insight or suggestions.
diprna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
RLW

Smile

diprna, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. Regarding the glass on the beach, we continue finding a piece of glass here and there on our beach even after being here for 18 years. We have always thought that as the sand shifts it comes up as most all ours have looked like tumbled glass as all the edges are rounded. Hope your problem will dissipate every shortly. Happy swimming and be careful.

diprna (07-11-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,386 Times in 960 Posts

There seem to be places that have more glass than others. On our beach, we have never found a piece of glass, yet at the other end of our property which fortunately is a long way away, you wouldn't want to walk in the water. Our property was once an old farm and that was where their dump was. On my parent's property, they have two beaches, one has glass, the other has none. There used to be an old boathouse on the one with the glass and we always wondered if that was where the glass came from. There hasn't been much in recent years though.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
diprna (07-11-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Same problem on our beach.It is right next to a small brook that used to be a hangout/drinking spot for smelt fishermen long before the property was developed.
We find glass every now and then after raking in the shallow water.
You have to be careful because,unlike sea glass that gets smoothed by the tidal action,lake glass remains sharp.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Kamper

This is a universal poblem for vacation homes. My place used to be a summer "camp." I suspect that previous owners and guests used to just heave their empties into the woods behind the house. The woods have been gone for 30 years and I have been here over 10. I don't find a lot but every year there are shards that find there way to the surface due to freeze/thaw physics.

The best you can do is pick up what you can see and keep looking. Raking it periodicaly may speed things up.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
diprna (07-11-2012)
Sponsored Links