Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Whimsey

Default 2010 Alton Winter Carnival

Does anyone know the date this is scheduled for? Friends want to schedule a visit and participate.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Nothing on the Parks and Recreation Website yet but it is usually scheduled for the Sunday of Dead Presidents Week-end. In 2010 that would be Feb. 14....Valentine's Day!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
DRH

Default Anyone Interested in the Bed Race?

I'm glad the Alton Winter Carnival was brought up now, well ahead of the actual event. Several years ago (4 - 5 maybe?), a group of us on the Forum had the idea of entering the bed race, which is part of each year's Alton Winter Carnival. Sunset Bob generously donated his childhood crib to the effort, which I then strengthened for purposes of the "rigorous" race. Several other Forum members then got together and painted the strengthened crib, and Rattlesnake Gal donated a pair of skis for it to race on and created a nice sign with the winnipesaukee.com logo on it for the crib to display during the race. However, each year since the crib was created, one thing or another has caused the winnipesaukee.com Forum crib (dubbed the "Forum Flyer") not to race. Going from memory, I think the first couple years after the crib was "born" the Alton Winter Carnival was called off due to unsafe ice. Following that, there was just not enough interest on the part of Forum members to form a racing committee to actually plan and participate in the race. So, the speedy crib has never raced. Now, those of us involved in the initial effort (including me) have lost interest in this effort. The crib sits in my garage, unused. At this point, I would very much like to pass the crib on to a Forum member, or a group of Forum members, interested enough to enter it into a future Alton Winter Carnival bed race. If no one is interested in taking this on, I'll offer the crib back to Sunset Bob (if he has any interest in taking it back), or I'll have to take it to the Alton dump due to space considerations in my garage. If anyone is interested in taking possession of the speedy "Forum Flyer" and entering it into the Alton Carnival bed race next February, please contact me by emailing or PMing me through this web site.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Default Regift

Hey DRH, if it gets to the point of throwing it out maybe you might consider offering it to the many bobhouse residents in Alton Bay. They might be able to use it to carry supplies to their shelter.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Hey DRH, if it gets to the point of throwing it out maybe you might consider offering it to the many bobhouse residents in Alton Bay. They might be able to use it to carry supplies to their shelter.
Not a bad idea, Siksukr, but the crib is pretty big ... it stands about 4' high and the skis are over 6' long. It pretty well fills the bed of a pickup truck. I'm not sure the fishing guys would find it very practical to haul their stuff around. I don't have a pickup truck, so frankly at this point I'd be grateful if someone would just stop by and pick it up!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
mcdude

DRH:
I guess no one wants that dang crib. I say lets push it down to the edge of the lake some night and we'll have a bonfire! I'll bring the brandy!

The date for Winter Carnival is officially set. From today's Baysider....

Quote:

The Winter Carnival Committee, chaired by Roger Sample and Paul LaRochelle, is busy getting ready for Sunday,Feb. 14. The Alton Business Association will again be hosting the event along with the Alton Parks and Recreation Department. Plans call for helicopter and sleigh rides, games, food and more. Details will be coming over the next few weeks, so keep an eye on the paper. The group is looking for business sponsors or donations for a silent auction-type raffle. If you would like to donate, call Ken or Robin at Wainwright Insurance at 875-1211.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
DRH

Default Good-Bye Crib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
DRH:
I guess no one wants that dang crib. I say lets push it down to the edge of the lake some night and we'll have a bonfire! I'll bring the brandy!
Yeah, guess you're right McD. No one has contacted me about taking the crib and entering this year's Alton Winter Carnival bed race. It seems creating the "Winnipesaukee Forum Flyer" was a plan that looked good on paper, but ....
Old 01-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
mcdude

Default The Baysider Jan. 21

Decorate your icehouse and put on that crazy hat

Quote:

ALTON
— As part of the Alton Bay Winter Carnival, there will be a contest for the best decorated icehouse, as well as a “craziest hat contest.” Those are only two of the many events that will be going on, on Sunday, Feb. 14. There will be a 50/50 raffle as well as a silent auction raffle. There will be games for adults and children, plenty of food and beverages, sleigh rides and helicopter rides. Airplanes will be arriving and departing from the Alton Bay Airport, which alone is worth coming to see. The event will start off with a pancake breakfast at 8 a.m. Fun and games will follow at 10 a.m., and will continue until 4 p.m. The Alton Business Association is looking for sponsorships as well as donations of items, certificates, services, etc. If you would like a banner advertising your business, please contact Marci DeMelis of Laserserv Imaging at 941-0931, or Jim Lund of JNL Excavation at 875-8628. The Alton Business Association and the Alton Parks and Recreation Department are looking to making this Winter Carnival the biggest and best ever

Old 01-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Jonas Pilot

Default What is the schedule?

Anybody know what time they will be judging the decorated "Bob Houses"? I can't wait to see what people come up with. What a great idea!
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
riverat

I won 2nd place last year! I think it was around 3pm
Old 01-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Alton Bay Winter Festival

Will be held on Valentines Day.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Come join in the fun at the Alton Bay Winter Festival!

The Alton Business Association is sponsoring a fun filled day of activities from 10:00am - 4:00 pm.

The Alton Parks and Recreation Department is sponsoring the following free events for all ages:

1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - DJ Music at the Bandstand
1:30 pm - Family Scavenger Hunt - Prizes awarded
3:00 pm - Parade of Beds - Followed by the Great Alton Bay Bed Race! Prizes awarded
Co-Sponosred by Meredith Village Savings Bank
All pre-registered teams receive a prize.
Events include: Family Games; Ice Princess and Penguin; Food tent; Bob House Decorating Contest; Crazy Hat Contest; Sleigh Rides, Helicopter Rides, Pancake Breakfast and much more.

The Alton Bay ice airport will be open - please stay off the active runway and use caution on the ice - it is slippery!

Ice walkers and dressing in warm layers is recommended.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
mcdude

Children's Fishing Derby Too!! (Baysider)
Quote:
Rotary Club plans fishing
derby for kids Feb. 14

ALTON
— The Alton Centennial Rotary Club invites kids up to age 15 from throughout New Hampshire and neighboring New England states to Alton Bay for the third annual free kids’ fishing derby on Sunday,Feb. 14, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Registration takes place in Alton Bay at the parking lot bandstand. Participants need adult supervision and may be assisted by anyone with a fishing license. Fishing derby bibs will be given to the first 50 participants; trophies will be awarded for the longest fish.This event is one of many family-oriented events offered during the Alton Winter Carnival, which is organized by the Alton Business Association and Alton Parks and Recreation. Forty children registered last year and seven trophies were awarded. Landon Hallberg from Alton, age one and a half, caught the biggest fish, a 20-inch pickeral. Other species caught included rainbow trout, yellow perch and cusk. Participants must cut their line and release any black bass or salmon. Ice safety is encouraged throughout this event. Keep away from any open water around docks with bubblers and old ice fishing holes that may still be unfrozen.The ice fishing area is limited to the area from Sandy Point south to the town beach. Any plowed areas are set aside for aircraft or for the snow machine radar-run. Volunteers with ice augers are needed to assist the kids with drilling ice holes. A limited amount of tip ups and shiners for bait will be available at the registration table. Please call David Countway at 875-3128 if you would like to assist the Alton Rotary Club with this fun event.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
Mee-n-Mac

Exclamation Scorpian Bowling ?

Anyone entering the bowling tourney this year ?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #14
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default bed rece photos

Some photos.

Final heat of the great Alton Bay bed race, the Olympic theme edged out the valentines day theme. The Mardi Gras theme group won best decorated and it appeared was having a great time while the wine held out.

There was a long line for the sleigh rides. Big crowd today, perfect conditions.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
DRH

Default The Forum's "Rain Man" Wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Final heat of the great Alton Bay bed race, the Olympic theme edged out the valentines day theme. The Mardi Gras theme group won best decorated and it appeared was having a great time while the wine held out.
It was a new Forum member, "Rain Man", and his family who won first place in this year's Alton Winter Carnival bed race. Their entry was the former Winnipesaukee.com "Forum Flyer", which was donated to Rain Man's family. They did a great job winning the bed race. Congratulations, Rain Man & Family!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Chubbs

Could'nt make it up this year so I hope there are a lot more pics coming our way. Thanks
Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
mcdude

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
It was a new Forum member, "Rain Man", and his family who won first place in this year's Alton Winter Carnival bed race.
Three Cheers for Rain Man and the Winni Forum Flyer!!

HIP HIP HOORAY!!

Did the Conference Center have an entry this year?

Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
LakesRegionSpirit

Default What happened with this plane?

Does anyone know?
Attached Images

www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
Pineedles

Where was it photographed, and when?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #20
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Three Cheers for Rain Man and the Winni Forum Flyer!!

HIP HIP HOORAY!!

Did the Conference Center have an entry this year?
Yes the Conference Center did have an entry this year, McD, and for a change ... they lost! BTW, while Rain Man and his family raced the former Forum Flyer crib, as Slickcraft mentioned they entered it with a 2010 Olympics theme.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #21
DRH

Default What Happened to This Plane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesRegionSpirit View Post
Does anyone know?
The plane was at the Alton Winter Carnival today and we heard that it had gotten into soft snow and the front landing gear gave way. I don't know if it was landing or taking off.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
NoBozo

Quote:
Does anyone know?
Looks like a nose (wheel) gear collapse. Probably nothing having to do with landing on the ice. It will be VERY expensive to get it off the ice and FIX it.. A Prop Strike usually means the engine needs to be torn down....rebuild. So my guess is ...remove the wings and tow it to the nearest airport where an "Aviation Mechanic" can have a look. Get your checkbook out. I'll just take a "Loose Guess"...$40K..+/-

Looks like a Beech Bonanza..not the "V" tail...still not an inexpensive airplane. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #23
AltnBay

Alton Winter Carnival, landing 12:00, today,02/14/10 left side halfway down.
AltnBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #24
AltnBay

Alton iceport B18 is sanctioned by the FAA so I'm assuming the insurance will be approved. Still not what you'ld want on such a nice day.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #25
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltnBay View Post
Alton iceport B18 is sanctioned by the FAA so I'm assuming the insurance will be approved. Still not what you'ld want on such a nice day.
The pilot made the decision to land. The Pilot always has the last word. The airport is not responsible....even if the airport had a truck sitting crosswise on the runway. The pilot made the decision to land. NB
Old 02-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #26
Pineedles

Default Bent Prop

Yes, landing or taking off seems to be what was going on at the time of the bending of the prop. It appears too be too much damage, both spokes for just "falling" while parked on the ice. Very unfortunate. Second of two situations this year of thick but "soft" ice.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #27
Island Girl

Default The Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
It was a new Forum member, "Rain Man", and his family who won first place in this year's Alton Winter Carnival bed race. Their entry was the former Winnipesaukee.com "Forum Flyer", which was donated to Rain Man's family. They did a great job winning the bed race. Congratulations, Rain Man & Family!

We are all very proud of Rainman and his family for running the race with the crib we so lovingly prepared a few years ago. They were fantastic... first winning the preliminaries, then the finals. Here they are winning the race!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #28
NoBozo

Here's the thing with this Prop Strike. The engine was running. When the engine abruptly stops turning/running, there is a good likelihood that piston rods will be bent. This event requires an engine teardown to SEE what damage was done. At that point you may as well rebuild. $20K+

Unlike automobiles..the FAA requires aircraft engines be rebuilt every so often. A typical number is @ 2000 hours. If the engine passes certain tests during it's life, it could go further before a rebuild is required. EVERY aircraft MUST have an ANNUAL inspection by a certified FAA mechanic. ...even if it is never flown.

The FAA Will Be involved and they don't fool around. NB
Old 02-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #29
eillac@dow

Default Wow

Congrats to Rainman and the Winnie Forum Flyer. I have read of the "flyer" in past posts and am glad to hear it ran and WON! Kudos to Rainman!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #30
granitebox

Default Bed Race Prelims

Attached Images

granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #31
trfour

Thumbs up The "Forum Flyer"...

Was built with lots of love and my thanks goes out to Team RainMan for taking it to the next and Gold Medal level, the winners circle!! Great job!!

You have an edge going into many more races and will be the team to beat going long into the future!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #32
AltnBay

To NoBoZo, I reread my post #25 and your right. It sure looked like I was referring to runway insurance. I was trying to relay that his personnel insurance would probably be good seeing he landed on a registered iceway.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #33
Island Girl

Default The Parade of Beds

....... Make Lemonade

Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #34
Senter Cove Guy

Default Here's What I Heard

Quote:
Does anyone know?
A friend of mine was in the plane when it landed. A strong gust of wind from the west caused the plane to hit the edge of the runway and the front landing gear collapsed. The prop hit the ice and bent. No one was injured. It's a club plane, a Dakota, and they have insurance. Tough break. The plane should be taken off the ice sometime tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #35
Steveo

Default Ze planes, ze planes...

Admittedly we arrived late to the carnival (2pm) but there only 3 planes parked there. By 3pm (bed race) there was only 1 left. And that was due to, what looked like, mechanical issues.

What happened to all the planes Mr Roarke!
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #36
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Admittedly we arrived late to the carnival (2pm) but there only 3 planes parked there. By 3pm (bed race) there was only 1 left. And that was due to, what looked like, mechanical issues.

What happened to all the planes Mr Roarke!
As the runway is closed for the bed race, most planes are out of there prior to the race.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #37
riverat

Default No Prize for "The Love Shack"

Can't believe it, Valentines Day and a Valentines themed decorated bobhouse and not even an honarable mention Should've had sent the judges a card I guess.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #38
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
Can't believe it, Valentines Day and a Valentines themed decorated bobhouse and not even an honarable mention Should've had sent the judges a card I guess.

[IMG][/IMG]
I bet it is the darn boom box on the table that took away your honorable mention. Did you having it going???
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #39
joelglick

Default Photos from the Alton Bay Winter Carnival

Here are 150 photos taken by members of the Northeast Pilot's Group.
http://www.meetup.com/NEPilotsGroup/photos/827044/

Special thanks to Paul, Bruce, and the other volunteers who make this ice runway an exciting destination for pilots. We love coming to Alton Bay, not just because it is the only FAA designated ice runway in the United States, but also because Paul and everyone in town makes us feel so welcome. Our group alone filled 25 seats at Shibley's for brunch.

- Joel Glickman
joelglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #40
DRH

Thumbs up Excellent Slideshow of the Carnival!

Joel - thanks for the great photos!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #41
SIKSUKR

Great photos Joel. I noticed after going through all of them that there is a little interactive pop-up on some to who's in the photo. Very cool.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #42
mcdude

Default Laconia Citizen

Our own riverat makes the news!
Quote:
A day of family fun on the Alton Bay ice

Monday, February 15, 2010

R.C. GREENWOOD/FOR THE CITIZEN Scott Carpenter, left, of Alton Copy and Jeff Goff, right, of Hannafords of Alton, prepare sausages for an eager public at the Alton Bay Winter Carnival on Sunday.

For Donna Marie of Alton, a day in the life of an ice princess involves an awful lot of things.

First, there's all the blue clothes, face and eye makeup. Add that to the blue wig and the layers of clothing and memorizing the Chicken Dance, and "every day is like a crystal."

The Ice Princess was just one of the characters gathered on the ice in Alton Bay Sunday afternoon for the annual Alton Bay Winter Carnaval.

From sleigh rides to bed races, pancakes to hot dogs, and tours of the bay from one of two helicopters, there was always something to do for those who would brave the stiff wind and slippery ice of the southernmost tip of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Since last year's carnival, Peabody, Mass. first-grader Spenser Summit and his sister, Cassandra, have been planning Spenser's crazy hat for the Crazy Hat Contest.

"I wanted to do a chicken on my head," said the seven-year-old whose family also has a home in Center Barnstead.

Cassandra said he saw a Easter basket kitchen decoration and the two of them worked to make it into the first place entry in the annual contest.

Looking a little like a tiny version of the 1950s Portuguese singing sensation Carmen Miranda, Spenser's hat was pastel-colored eggs sticking out from the Easter basket firmly planted to his head by attaching it all to a white box that served as a base.

Although he was up against some tough competition — including a guy with a New England Patriots-decorated television camera named the "Belistrator" on his head and the second place finisher who had a hat made of copper clocks, young Spenser was the one who got the biggest cheer from the crowd — and the one who got to do the Chicken Dance with the Ice Princess.

Looking on from his pink-covered "The Love Shack" was Roger Thivierge who has put his bob house in pretty much the same spot for seven years.

Although a little disappointed he didn't win the bob house decorating contest, Thivierge said the winter carnival is one of his favorite weekends.

"I haven't done too much fishing today," he said adding since his retirement he comes fishing about every other day.

Thivierge said he didn't think the fishing was as good in the bay this year as in past years, but the Winter Carnival was just as good as it ever was.

From the Baysider 2/18/10
Quote:
The 2011 Winter Carnival

is scheduled for Feb. 20, 2011, weather permitting.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #43
Overthebay

Default Winter Carnival Bob House Contest

Love Shack was very cute. If anyone walked toward Sandy Point, they would have seen the 1st prize winner, (A cute heart house that looked like an old fashioned doll house. Even the inside was decorated with a small hammock, love seat, table set for tea, and a scented candle. Very Very Cute). The 2nd prize winner,( "Three Grumpy Old Men", was decorated like an old bait shoppe, with a farmer's porch on the front, there the three sat with crazy hats on. Very Very Funny, and well done. The 3rd prize winner, ("Redneck shack" was decorated with tons of beer cans used in unusual ways, strung as garland, made into tables, pyramids, and it was very clean and tidy.) Wish we had pictures?
Overthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #44
riverat

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthebay View Post
Love Shack was very cute. If anyone walked toward Sandy Point, they would have seen the 1st prize winner, (A cute heart house that looked like an old fashioned doll house. Even the inside was decorated with a small hammock, love seat, table set for tea, and a scented candle. Very Very Cute). The 2nd prize winner,( "Three Grumpy Old Men", was decorated like an old bait shoppe, with a farmer's porch on the front, there the three sat with crazy hats on. Very Very Funny, and well done. The 3rd prize winner, ("Redneck shack" was decorated with tons of beer cans used in unusual ways, strung as garland, made into tables, pyramids, and it was very clean and tidy.) Wish we had pictures?
Well than that settles it. Next year I will put a porch on the front of my bobhouse, light a candle, put some tidy beer cans around and sit and look grumpy. I should win something for sure. decorate inside
Old 02-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #45
Rain Man

Default Thanks!

I want to thank DRH, Island Girl and any other members that were part of creating the Forum Flyer that took home first place in the bed race this year. It was amazingly well constructed. Including the push bars, side reinforcements and countersunk screws on the bottom of the skis, it was built for speed!

Thanks so much for a fun time and for letting us race the Forum Flyer!
Rain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #46
riverat

Default And a Big Thanks to You!

I was so happy to hear that the Forum Flyer was finally going to be raced but I was thrilled to find out that it won the race. Great job guys and I'll be rooting for you next year.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #47
nj2nh

Great pictures, everyone. Thanks so much for sharing them.

We've been to the Winter Carnival in previous years, but didn't make it this year since our February break was cut short. My parents made a trip up and said it looked like great fun.

nj2nh