Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
ronc4424

Default BYOS (bring your own sandwich)

Rule seen as bad news for fried food wagons

http://citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...895/-1/CITIZEN
Old 04-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
RailroadJoe

Of course, make it harder for the little guy to make a living. Its been okay for 40 + years, so leave it alone.

Politicians, don't we just love them.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
PapaDon (04-06-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
dmjr

Some people have too much time on their hands to think about this stuff. In this day and age, the little guy can no longer make a living.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmjr For This Useful Post:
PapaDon (04-06-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Byos

"People should bring a peanut butter sandwich to the Sandwich Fair," said Vadney commenting on the potential impact on the hoard of food venders that historically fill the fairgrounds during the annual Columbus Day event."
Those of us allergic to peanuts should send this guy a thank you note.

How many fires have there been with these kind of vendors?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
How many fires have there been with these kind of vendors?
Not gonna get into here, but that never stopped a bad law.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Two Threads Going

Looks like we've got two threads going on the same subject.

How do you feel about the new rule in Meredith?

Great minds think alike.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
robmac

Yep,looks like PB no J all around.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
PapaDon

Default Hot dog!

We own a 1984 step-van type truck with a nice commercial kitchen built into it. We have used it to sell hot dogs and other foods for three summers. Although now it's parked here at home (needs $2000+ work to pass vehicle inspection), we can still use the kitchen in it, but it's just not possible to retrofit it to comply with this rule. Therefore, we won't be able to get the kitchen licensed again. Good thing we have a commercial homestead kitchen license for our home kitchen, which is not as nice as the one in the truck.

I know there is a safety factor with the vents, hoods, and fire-extinguishing systems, but you can't even fit all that in many of the fried food trucks and trailers. That's a lot of investment to suddenly become useless and put a few more folks out of work. I don't think that's what we need. Since a mobile kitchen does not need a food license to operate at fairs, etc. in NH (up to 2 weeks at temporary gatherings, last i knew), now they get them from the fire marshal's side. It's amazing that these units have been operating for years at fairs, festivals, M/C Week, etc. with no problem, but suddenly need to be "upgraded".
PapaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
RailroadJoe

Man gets government job. Now a big bully. Do it my way, or else. Give them a little authority and they will push for more.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Man gets government job. Now a big bully. Do it my way, or else. Give them a little authority and they will push for more.
I'm not going to get into a debate about this laws fairness, even though I would probably side on the "if it aint broke don't fix it" side of the fence. However, I know Bill Degman personally and he is anything but an authority bully. Very well respected and overall nice person.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
RailroadJoe

There is always a good one, ie Bill Degman, but there are too many others that think they are better than the average person.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Years ago, during a restoration project, the fire chief made us install sprinklers on an outside porch......outside, meaning no walls. Hugely expensive and totally useless.
I'm getting tired of bureaucrats coming up with stupid ideas just to justify their existence.
Bill Degman might be a nice guy....but still a bad idea and a complete waste of time and money.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (04-08-2011), ronc4424 (04-07-2011), tis (04-07-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
Woodsy

Not sure about how it all works but....

If NH state LAW says that the state MUST CONFORM to NFPA codes, then Mr. Degmans hands are tied as far as enforcement goes.... he's the top dog and he HAS to enforce the rules....

Now if state LAW does not REQUIRE adherance to NFPA codes... then certainly there should be some sort of compromise reached.

Any legal guys care to chime in?? Skip??

Woodsy
Old 04-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #14
jayymarr

" No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session. "
jayymarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
RailroadJoe

jayymarr You forgot "or after it".
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
thebix

Default NFPA is not Government

The complaints on legislatures and laws and government is misplaced. No lawmaker in NH created this regulation. The state Fire Marshall just enforces it.

From NFPA.ORG:
About NFPA
The mission of the international nonprofit NFPA, established in 1896, is to reduce the worldwide burden of fire and other hazards on the quality of life by providing and advocating consensus codes and standards, research, training, and education.
The world's leading advocate of fire prevention and an authoritative source on public safety, NFPA develops, publishes, and disseminates more than 300 consensus codes and standards intended to minimize the possibility and effects of fire and other risks.
NFPA membership totals more than 70,000 individuals around the world.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:10 AM   #17
RailroadJoe

So, who do we blame, the fire department? No need to install poor regulations against working business people without just compensation.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
CTYankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Not sure about how it all works but....

If NH state LAW says that the state MUST CONFORM to NFPA codes, then Mr. Degmans hands are tied as far as enforcement goes.... he's the top dog and he HAS to enforce the rules....

Now if state LAW does not REQUIRE adherance to NFPA codes... then certainly there should be some sort of compromise reached.

Any legal guys care to chime in?? Skip??

Woodsy
Your post is correct Woodsy. The NFPA produced a model fire protection code and made it available to states, and in some cases municipalities, for adoption. Think of it as expert advice on a specialty area. There are many such model codes: the Uniform Commericial Code; the Model Penal Code; the Uniform Probate Code, and so on. They do not have the force of law until adopted, either in part or whole, by the Federal, state, or sometimes municipal government. Each being free to pick and choose the parts of the code wanted. Sometimes the model code forms the basis for regulations that are adopted by a governmental agency pursuant to statutory authority granting such action. It can actually become fairly complicated.
As to the issue at hand: if this part of the code has been adopted either by statute or by properly enacted agency regulation it has the force of law and state and local officials are empowered to enforce it. I don't know whether or not New Hampshire as adopted the NFPA code, but I suspect it has; either by RSA or agency regulation. Now, if this is not the case can Meredith create a rule based on this provision in the NFPA code? Yes, by way of ordinance. A municipality can enact such an ordinance provided it is reasonably related to a ligitimate government interest. Here that interest is fire safety. I hope this brief explaination helps.
CTYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I'm not going to get into a debate about this laws fairness, even though I would probably side on the "if it aint broke don't fix it" side of the fence. However, I know Bill Degman personally and he is anything but an authority bully. Very well respected and overall nice person.
Seems like if you know him personally you'd have his name right . . . just say'in . . .
Since lots of places have adopted NFPA 96 and also have this type of canteen wagon, my bet is that there is a reasonably possible way to make this happen. Don't trust news stories.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote