Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Outboard advice ?

Can folks on the Forum provide me some info. about outboard motors.

Thinking about selling current boat with I/O, and going to Outboard motor
selection. I use to have an 'outboard' rig years ago, but like 25+ years ago,
and much has changed in this space.

Also, the advantages and disadvantages or 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.

That said, I'm unfaniliar with the terms for outboard: Long Shaft, Short Shaft
Obviously, this sounds like it has something to do with transom height adaption?

FYI, New boat probably will be under 18', like center console or Whaler type
Motor options likely under 100hp.

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default one vote for outboard

You'll get opinions on both side of the fence, but I'm an outboard fan. At the same horsepower, the outboard will be lighter, and for an 18' boat, that makes a big difference. An outboard is easier to work on; especially for winterization - where you can mostly do it yourself. If the motor goes bad for some reason, it is easier to swap out an outboard and keep the boat. As for 2 vs 4 stroke, I have a low-emission 2 stoke and would much rather have a four stroke. You do gain some of the weight back, but operating costs are much lower - In addition to better gas mileage, you are not burning a gallon 2-stroke oil at $20+/gallon for every 50 of gas. That adds up. However, the market has spoken, and for boats in the 18' and above class, selection of outboard boats is slim - with many in the fishing class.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Jonas Pilot

You end up with more usable room in the boat with an outboard too. If fuel consumption is a major concern, as it should be for all of us, remember the heaver the boat the bigger engine you will need. It sounds like you are thinking of getting a runabout. If so have you considered an aluminum boat? Their lighter, easy to tow and you would need less horse power and could probably get a larger boat with higher gunwales at the same price or less. Shaft length is determined by transom height and how far you need to submerse the prop for proper performance. I just switched to a 4 stroke and am pleased with it's performance so far. That's after but one season.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
SAB1

Each has advantages over the other but on 18ft boat or less I would go outboard and not sacrifice interior room in the boat and I would the spend the extra money and go with the Honda. The four strokes are very fuel efficient and quiet. Like mentionaed above not having to buy 2 cycle oil will save $ and yes winterizing the motor is a snap over an I/O. For do it yourself reapirs I would much rather work on on I/O than Outboard though.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Lakepilot

I have in I/O on the big lake and a Honda outboard on the ocean. I also recommend a Honda outboard for an 18 footer. Actually I really like the outboard on almost any boat up to 30' or more.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Dave R

I like this one: http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/2833043050.html Good luck!
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
MDoug

Default Outboard

I have a 4-stroke Suzuki 90hp on my 22' C-Dory and have really enjoyed its reliability and fuel economy. Just be sure to change out your fuel lines as recommended in your manual--it seems that the ethanol in today's gas eats them from the inside out. Anyhow, check with Dave at Y Landing for a good deal.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
jst_4_kiks

Default many changes inn 25+ years

Lots have changed in 25 years Kevin. Manufacturers are able to get more power from a smaller sized engine to conserve weight. Definately a plus when trailering.

Best most versital engine that I have seen on multiple applications (pontoons, aluminums, center console, fiberglas, etc) is the Mercury 90 EFI Bigfoot. The bigfoot part of the engine just means more thrust for better out of the hole performance. Also being EFI, its very easy on fuel and 4 cycle is like your car/truck. Turn the key and go. No need to choke or worry about injection oils and more operating costs. Don't need to spend a fortune for a weekend on the lake.

Short shaft / long shaft are concerning transom heights. The boat should be properly setup for whatever engine is hanging on the back. 15", 20", 25" shaft length for various different transom heights for different boat manufacturers.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote