Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Boat traffic is way down.

I took a kayak from where we spent the day hanging out at Stonedam Island all the way across Weirs bay to our boat slip in the channel.
Yes there were boats out but on a Saturday evening around 6:00 pm I’d have expected it to be a much harder crossing then it was. Honestly I don’t think more than 25 boats passed me on my trip across from Eagle to the channel.
The cove we hang out in off of Stonedam was also empty of the usual 50 plus boats that are normally there.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
NoRegrets

We were one of the boats that you saw Saturday. Your yellow paddles were easy to spot as the kayak was lost in the troughs of waves at times.

It is not hard to tell the difference between boat traffic this year and three years ago. No queing up to get into line to go through the Weirs bridge. It must be making an impact on some local establishments.

We rafted out at Stonedam on Sunday and didn't see you! I understand you forgot a key safety device on Saturday - Suntan Lotion! I hope the pain didn't last long.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The boat traffic is noticeably down, in my opinion even from last year. This year, I feel as though I can take people tubing and skiing and not have to feel like I need eyes in the back of my head.

I also have noted, that people don't seem to be wondering away from their home marina's as they once did. While Braun bay will always be busy, I have noticed that business has picked up in other areas while it has diminished elsewhere. In short I don't see many boats heading up into the northern part of the lake.... from the southern Marinas. In addition boats that I know to be boats from Marinas on the northern part of the lake, seem to be anchoring closer to home....

With Gas prices the way they are, I believe this trend will continue. It is just to expensive to run boats all over the lake.

I am very glad I have a Jet Ski in addition to my boat....
Old 08-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
samosetguy

Default Less Boats

I believe there are about 10 less boats on moorings at our complex this summer compared to last. I assume that is due to economic/gas price reasons but I really don't know. It could be a combination of things. It's interesting to hear others are seeing the drop as well.

I'm not a nature freak but I like the idea of the lake transferring to more paddle/sail boats and less power boats. I've historically been afraid to paddle in open waters because of all the maniac drivers (e.g. I've seen people with their boat planed ride into the 2nd row of moored boats - crazy considering all those swimming and paddling to boats on moorings).

However, I see a lot more kayaks this year and I'm considering getting one.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to samosetguy For This Useful Post:
Rusty (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
diz

Default Unregistered boats at the marina

I was curious about this myself. There are enough boats at our marina that never came out of the racks and never got registered that I was wondering if people were skipping this year's boating season.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
NoBozo

Default My Perspective

My 20' runabout is still in the garage/storage. It has a 350 V8 (260hp) in it. On average it burns 4 gallons an hour. At $4 per gallon (minimum) that's $16 an hour to run around the lake. Been there..done that. That's why I'm not out there. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
TOAD

I was fishing up on Lake Ontario this past weekend. Same story up there. A boat load of boats still shrink wrapped and sitting on shore. A vast majority of the boats that are docked or at moorings are just sitting there.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
LongBay

Default My Perspective...

Yes, boating traffic is down this year. From my perspective, that is good. Less time driving through the the Channel and fewer monster waves created by those big cruisers means a more enjoyable day of boating. I would rather drop $50 in gas for a day of boating than waiting in line with all the tourist for dinner. Dining on the boat can be just as good as dining by boat . Too bad the government just ran out of money. Maybe we could have gotten Washington to offer us boaters cash for sinkers....trade in your old gas guzzler for a nice shiny new boat with a more fuel efficient engine that does not put out a wake like the Sophie C.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
codeman671

I am not sure if today was an exception but I noticed a LOT of boats out today in the Gilford area. At one point I stopped my boat to take a phone call between Lockes and Timber, looked around 360 degrees and saw at least 30-40 boats visible all around me at varying distances. No exaggeration. For a Wednesday afternoon that seemed crazy to me. What ws going on? Big vacation week for a lot of people?

That did not include the 2 sailing groups either.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I am not sure if today was an exception but I noticed a LOT of boats out today in the Gilford area. At one point I stopped my boat to take a phone call between Lockes and Timber, looked around 360 degrees and saw at least 30-40 boats visible all around me at varying distances. No exaggeration. For a Wednesday afternoon that seemed crazy to me. What ws going on? Big vacation week for a lot of people?

That did not include the 2 sailing groups either.

Yes, I think so... The Hill bailed from the Hill for some R & R so's they can fix things later!...
Nothing New...

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
Rinkerfam

We were out this past Sunday and I thought it was extremely busy. We found it difficult to find a spot to bring our guests tubing.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default This past weekend

We went out on Sat in Alton Bay. Very windy and coming right down the bay. A lot of boats out there, many towing tubers. Far more than I would have thought. Got out beyond Little Mark and were going to go to West Alton to gas up, and then hang at the Sand bar, but didn't need gas that badly, and it would have been rough at the sand bar, so we ended up just cruising the bay area before heading to the public docks for supper and the concert. Lots of traffic in and out of the end of the bay.

Sunday, we went out in the afternoon, a little choppy and definitely boat rough, and ended up crossing the broads then down into Melvin bay, Moultonborough bay and up by Ambrose Cove. Lots of traffic all over. I can see where someone might have trouble finding a quiet place to slow cruise or tube/water ski.

We have said all summer that it seems like the boat traffic is down somewhat, but it seems that people are not venturing out in choppier, windy weather as much, perhaps trying to make their time on the lake more of a quality time. Especially true for those who can't just jump out on the lake anytime they want, like those of us who live up here and are retired (not rubbing it in...just a nice situation to be in).
Old 08-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Especially true for those who can't just jump out on the lake anytime they want, like those of us who live up here and are retired (not rubbing it in...just a nice situation to be in).
Sure Sure Sure...... Hay if you have worked, and made your money, you deserve to be able to retire, and enjoy life... don't worry about rubbing it in, its motivation to us younger folks to strive to work towards.
upthesaukee (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
gf2020

Honestly, gas is about the cheapest thing I put in my boat!

Synthetic 2-stroke oil, fishing tackle, take out BBQ, micro-brew beer in cans, insurance, towing coverage, it all adds up.

I burned about 140 gallons last year, so at this year's prices I would spend about $150 more. I think I can afford $150.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
jetskier

Post Exactly!

• Insurance
  • Berth Fee
  • In/Out Fees
  • Winter Storage/Winterization/Summerization
  • Maintenance
  • Registration Fees

I have not even gone through a single tank of gas so far this year. The way that I look at it the more that I use the boat the more that I amortize these fees over the actual usage. I think that the economy is hitting boating in general. If you don't put the boat in the water than you cut out most of the aforementioned costs. Gas, unless you have a big a$$ boat is not anywhere near the top of the cost range.

Actually, the jetskis are more fun than the boat and I bought it for the family aspect. I think that we will see more jetskis on the lake and steady decline of boats (other than the lower cost boats).

Just my 2 cents.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (08-06-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
SuperG

9.0+% unemployement, Higher costs for everything not just fuel, 401(k) down 25% this year. It's not a surprise.

Solution:

I've got a small runabout, 3.0 135hp. Been out a dozen times just kicking around with the rug rats. I've spent roughly $150 in fuel. A perfect boat for times like these, low cost, low maintenance and can take 5 passengers comfortably. I am limited where and under what conditions I can go out but it's a nice compromise if you just want to get out on the water. Affordable fun.
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
  • Insurance
  • Berth Fee
  • In/Out Fees
  • Winter Storage/Winterization/Summerization
  • Maintenance
  • Registration Fees

I have not even gone through a single tank of gas so far this year. The way that I look at it the more that I use the boat the more that I amortize these fees over the actual usage. I think that the economy is hitting boating in general. If you don't put the boat in the water than you cut out most of the aforementioned costs. Gas, unless you have a big a$$ boat is not anywhere near the top of the cost range.

Actually, the jetskis are more fun than the boat and I bought it for the family aspect. I think that we will see more jetskis on the lake and steady decline of boats (other than the lower cost boats).

Just my 2 cents.

Jetskier
I have seen more jetskis. The beach at Suissevale was loaded with them along with kayaks this past Saturday. Of course, that led my 16 YO to start nudging me about buying one!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Shreddy (08-18-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
Belmont Resident

Default Timber Island this weekend

We were at Timber Saturday and up until noon there were 8 boats there. Later they were filtering in slowly with most being the bigger boats.
Jet skier you are very limited in where you can go and when you can go out without getting the snot beat out of you on a jet ski. We had friends meet us Saturday and they got beat up bad coming from Glendale and it really wasn’t overly windy or busy. So I seriously doubt you will see a transition from boats to jet skies. They are great toys but having had one, they get old quick if it is all you have to go out with. As a second boat/toy they are great.
The trend with the speed limit is towards bigger boats verses go fast boats for the simple fact of comfort. We are seeing more and more 26-28 foot bow riders out on the lake as families upsize to overcome how rough the lake can be. Many of the go fast boaters are trading up to big cruisers.
I know we are eventually going to a 28-30 foot boat only because my Baja is no longer able to be the boat I bought it for. Do we need a boat that big, no, we live here, but it sure will be a lot more comfortable then my wife’s 26 Chaparral is when it’s choppy.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
Greene's Basin Girl

I don't think using a jet ski gets old quickly. I have had one for 9 years and I continually enjoy using it all around the lake. It is so convenient to park at the public docks. All of the large boats are fighting for dock space. I can always find a spot. They are still looking and I am already docked and having lunch. I don't cover my boat either. When at home I just park it on my lift and I raise it up. If it rains I just go out in it and any water around my feet is gone. I only wish I could take a crowd on it. My next boat will be a pontoon boat, but my jet ski will still be my personal favorite.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #20
jetskier

Post Yup

There are very few days that I would not consider taking the jetskis out. When the lake is too choppy for the jetskis, it is similarly too choppy for my 27 foot bow rider. Those days are few and far between. The jetskis are a wetter ride and you can get cold on those early season/late season days when you can enclose the boat to stay warm. But, again, those days are few and far between.

The jetskis are simply more fun and cheaper to run. On an operational basis, my jetskis run less than 25% (often more like 10%) of the cost of the boat. I can do my own winterization/summerization and most of the service...there is no need for winter wrapping or storage as they can be put in a garage on their trailer. The insurance is less...

On a capital basis, a low end new jetski runs about $8k and a top of the line $16k. Of course, used is much cheaper. That puts them in a much more accessible position than most boats. For a decent size boat you can multiply that number by 10x.

I think that this economy is forcing everyone to re-evaluate their spending habits and boats are clearly quite expensive. Jetskis remain a cheaper and more fun option (IMHO). I expect to see the trend continue toward smaller boats and jetskis.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

Default Its all I have and it never gets old

Same here. My PWC is my only boat for the last 10 years. I use it only on Winni and have no problem with bad conditions. In fact I found that I can get around better than most smaller boats when the water is angry. Stand up and ride it like a motocross bike and you can still stay at high speed. Fantastic workout too!
Don't only rich people have his and her boats?
Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #22
fpartri497

Default boat traffic

yesterday 08/17/11 was the most traffic I have seen on the lake the whole summer. Wolfboro town docks where mobbed all day. Traffic everwhere the eye could see. West alton sandbar at one point In the afternoon I counted besides mine, fourty two boats. thats the most i have seen the entire summer at one time.

IT was a great day

Old 08-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #23
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Thumbs up I agree

I was thinking that yesterday would be a slow day...we got to West Alton just after noontime, and your're right it was mobbed, and stayed that way til we left a little after 2:30.

Lots of boats out just cruisin' as well, and a bunch of tubing and skiing going on in Alton Bay and other parts of the lake as well.

Nice to see it.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #24
NH_boater

I was at West Alton sand bar too. Very crowded for a Wednesday, but less than half of the boats there last weekend (Fri and Sat).

I think the sand bars are seeing extra visitors due to gas prices.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #25
fpartri497

Default west alton sandbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
I was at West Alton sand bar too. Very crowded for a Wednesday, but less than half of the boats there last weekend (Fri and Sat).

I never boat on the weekend so I cant offer any input there

Old 08-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #26
fpartri497

Default west alton sandbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I was thinking that yesterday would be a slow day...we got to West Alton just after noontime, and your're right it was mobbed, and stayed that way til we left a little after 2:30.

Lots of boats out just cruisin' as well, and a bunch of tubing and skiing going on in Alton Bay and other parts of the lake as well.

Nice to see it.
I saw you come In to the sandbar with your new boat. looks good. I left about five thirty and it was just starting to clear out.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #27
Greene's Basin Girl

I was out yesterday also. Traveled from Green's Basin to the broads. Many many boats. Yesterday was a perfect day. The sky was blue and the temperature was wonderful.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #28
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post

My wife and I were at the West Alton sandbar this past Sunday and I think there were only about 10 boats there the entire time we were there! Must've been the weather that kept people away but other than it being overcast, it was nice, not too breezy and the water was warm. We had a nice day although we did leave early because we could see the rain heading our way. Some days, it really does suck having to trailer back and forth every time we want to go boating.
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #29
Rangervx

prob a combination of poor economy, price of fuel and maybe even the speed limit
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote