Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Who likes the french fries at Tamarack?
Really liked the fries 3 12.50%
Somewhat liked them...they were ok 5 20.83%
Hated them totally... 10 41.67%
I want a choice in what my fries are cooked in. 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
dreamer55

Default Tamarack French Fries

I am wondering who has tried TAMARACK'S french fries. I was there a few days ago and I asked what they were fried in. I was informed that they were fried in Bee shortening? I have never heard of that before. There was a person in charge who was at the order window and asked me if I have ever tried them cooked that way. I had not and he gave me a free order of the french fries.

I tried one small fry and that was more than enough for me. Yuck!!! I hate the way we are being forced to not have a choice in how our food is cooked when we pay for it!!! I think we should be given the choice. I think that those are the worst tasting fries I have ever had. Anyone else tried them. Please let me know!!

I want to hear what others think of them.....
dreamer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
boat_guy64

Default Fries

I agree. We bought some two weeks ago. $8.95 for an order of fries that my kids wouldn't eat.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Pineedles

Default Survey?

Wow, so much hatred for something that I just tend to push to the side of the plate, when I don't want them. Can't we have a choice in the survey that says. "Never tried them, but they sound interesting" and "Never tried them they sound not to my taste".
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
MaidenCove07

Default Not a fan...

....went there last weekend. Scallops and clams tasted weird too, now I know why...
Bee Oil??? Really??? Are you kidding me?
Bring back animal lard anyday - fries rocked then. My grand father ate 'em all the time and lived to 86.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Kevin C

Thumbs down Tamarack Fries and Rings

My wife and I had a day off last week and stopped by for a lobster roll which was very good....but the side order of fries and onion rings were greasy, undercooked and gross.....yuck!

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
mets3007

Default best Fries

I would say Sawyer's has the best fries around the Lakes Region.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
gonetoolong

Default Jim Clayton from Tamarack

Hi Folks. I just wanted to apologize to any of you who where dissapointed with our french fries! As a bit of an explanation, we had a problem with a supplier who sent us the wrong potatoes and we were forced to use them until our regular product was sent to us.

We use only fresh grown Maine potatoes grown in Fryeburg Maine, they are hand cut by us and then fried in Beef (not Bee!) fat. Our hamburgers are freshly ground and made each day and our lobster rolls are 100% lobster (no Lango's or other cheap fillers)

My brothers and I are honestly trying to bring the Tamarack back to it's former high standards and we appreciate any and all comments and hope you'll give us another try.

We ain't perfect yet but we're trying !

Sincerely

Jim, Mike and George Clayton
gonetoolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
dpg

Jim: Thanks for responding on this site. A word of advise, keep an eye on it and read the (many) comments there will surely be about your establishment over the coming months.

I don't get it, why are people (restaurants) not using Canola Oil, is it too costly, bad tasting??? I know it has very little (if any) of the "bad" fats in it. I believe Vegetable oil would run a close second, I think anyways I'm certanly no expert and not in the biz.

Oh and Jim this question wasn't exactly directed to you.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
GTO

Default or.......

Jim: Thanks for responding on this site. A word of advise, keep an eye on it and read the (many) comments there will surely be about your establishment over the coming months.

Or, you could just cut and paste Nadia's comments. She was a great one for responding to everybody.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
dreamer55

Default Tamarack French Fries

this is directed to jim at the tamarack....i appreciate your responding to this topic. i think that all of us who have eaten at the tamarack would love to have it the way it used to be.

my only question i guess is why can't we who are spending our money on dining out at any establishment have an option of how or should i say what kind of oil they are cooked in. i hope that you take this as a hint to offer the option to your customers, not everyone wants the new cooking oils. i think that customers who want the option should let the restaurant know that you are unhappy with their choices, it may wake them up.

i will continue to eat at the tamarack as i have done for many years.
dreamer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #11
redc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer55
my only question i guess is why can't we who are spending our money on dining out at any establishment have an option of how or should i say what kind of oil they are cooked in.
Which restaurants do you currently go into and tell the staff what oil you would like to have your food cooked in? I don't remember ever seeing that option on any menu anywhere.

Last edited by redc5; 06-03-2007 at 07:33 AM.
redc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Kevin C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetoolong
My brothers and I are honestly trying to bring the Tamarack back to it's former high standards and we appreciate any and all comments and hope you'll give us another try.

We ain't perfect yet but we're trying !

Sincerely

Jim, Mike and George Clayton
Thanks for the update Jim. We will definitely give it another try.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
MaidenCove07

Default To the Clayton Boys

Welcome back. Great to hear from you - kudos for checking out this site!

As long as you're Ok with constructive criticism, we'll keep giving it as well as compliments of which I have a few:

While I wasn't a fan of the fries or rings (way too greasy and soggy), I must say my hamburger was awesome, the scallops were obviously very fresh, sweet and tasty and the cole-slaw rivals my old time favorite at Sawyer's.

You keep up the good work and we'll keep the faith!

Maiden et. al.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
jetskier

Default Not Yet

Hi Jim,

I would like to encourage your participation on this forum. My sense is that it is the pulse of your market.

Personally, I think that Tamarack has to earn back the patronage that it lost over the many years of poor quality. I understand that you are working the kinks out, but remember that there are a lot of dining choices in this area and unless you are consistantly good, you will not stay in business long. So far, the feedback has been mediocre (at best) and not enough for me to stray from the tried and true.

Just my 2 cents.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:39 AM   #15
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer55
this is directed to jim at the tamarack....i appreciate your responding to this topic. i think that all of us who have eaten at the tamarack would love to have it the way it used to be.

my only question i guess is why can't we who are spending our money on dining out at any establishment have an option of how or should i say what kind of oil they are cooked in. i hope that you take this as a hint to offer the option to your customers, not everyone wants the new cooking oils. i think that customers who want the option should let the restaurant know that you are unhappy with their choices, it may wake them up.

i will continue to eat at the tamarack as i have done for many years.
I don't know of any restaurant which offers your choice of cooking oils. Once the fryers are filled their filled and cannot be swapped out on request.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #16
RLW

Post Fries

I believe that the category of Having ones choice of oil should not be in the poll. As stated below, when you order fries you get them the way they are cooked. You do not have the opportunity to say I'll have an order of fries and I'll have mine cooked in such & such type of oil.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #17
Winnigirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
I don't know of any restaurant which offers your choice of cooking oils. Once the fryers are filled their filled and cannot be swapped out on request.
Thank you for saying this. That is not a practical or economical suggestion for any restaurant!
Winnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #18
Pepper

GoneTooLong WELCOME to the forum! (it's been so long since I've been able to visit and post that I think your screen name fits me better than it fits you! )

Sorry I didn't get a chance to visit with the three of you earlier this spring, but I promise to stop by sometime soon. Waldo says you guys have done an AMAZING job with that kitchen! It's terrific to see you all working so hard to return the Tamarack to it's former glory, and we wish you the very best!!!!

Dreamer55 I am compelled to reply to your statement that restaurants should give you a choice regarding oil. Your wish is, quite honestly, a complete impossibility.

Fry oil is not exactly something which can be changed in a few moments, so that option is out. Reserving a fryolator for patrons who wish to have their products fried in a particular oil is totally impractical as well. Fryolators are typically the busiest piece of equipment in our business, and patrons expect consistency in flavor, texture, etc so it's important to make one choice and stick with it.

With regard to the "new oils" I must comment that the vast majority of our customers are very pleased that we cook with an oil that contains zero trans fat. Today's consumer is very health conscious, and providing the majority with what they want makes much more business sense than trying to accommodate a few consumers who want something different.

All that being said, the truth of the matter is that the potato is what truly makes the fries, not the oil! If the supplier who provided the wrong product where on this forum I'd blast him but good! Fresh-cut fries MUST be made with FRESH POTATOS, because if they potato sits in a warehouse the starch-to-sugar process begins, and the older the potato gets the harder it is to cook it without burning it. Sounds crazy, but trust me it's true. Been there, done that, and gave up on the fresh-cut fries because of it. I sincerely hope the Clayton's have much better luck with it than we did!

Last edited by Pepper; 06-08-2007 at 08:34 AM. Reason: potatoe is not tomatoe, it's potato! (blush)
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #19
loony

Default French Fries & food allergies

Restauranteurs should be sensitive to food allergies. My wife is allergic to seafood. She needs to be very careful of cross contamination at restaurants. She generally stays away from fried foods because a single fryolator is often used for all foods (a blessing in disguise ). She also avoids grilled foods as the grill may not have been thouroughly cleaned after fish has been cooked on it. Politely asking the grill chef or server to keep her food separate sometimes results in a negative reaction. Japanese restaurants and fine seafood restaurants are out . She generally eats broiled or baked foods at unfamiliar restaurants. She has learned to adapt to her allergies, and believe it or not we both eat much healthier .
I love seafood. Lobster. fired clams, whole belly of course. Calimari. Swordfish. Yum......Maybe I'll sneak over to Peppers for a double stuffed lobster roll

Last edited by loony; 06-08-2007 at 11:26 AM.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #20
SIKSUKR

Default Hi PEPPER!!!!

Nice to see Pepper back on the forum.
Pepper,what kind of oils are used now that don't contain trans-fat?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #21
Pepper

Default Hello SS!

The oil we use in our fryolators is Clear Canola Oil.

Not sure if all brands are created equal with regards to trans fat - I'll see what I can learn from our salesman.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #22
dpg

Canola oil has no trans fats
Old 06-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #23
jetskier

Post Mediocre (at best)

Hi all,

My wife decided that we should try Tamarack for lunch today. We brought the kids along and everyone weighed in on the fries:

Awful! They were soggy and terrible.

I had a lobster roll and that was fine...my wife had a salad and seemed pretty happy with it. The service was very slow and the prices are nothing to write home about.

I think we will give it at least another year until we try this one again. They have a long way to go.

Just my 2 cents.
Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote