Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Lakeport Landing business

From an article in today's Laconia Citizen, it sounds like the City of Laconia will be taking possession of the one-acre lot, and the Lakeport Landing's primary showroom/repair/office building in November, 2015 which has been home to www.lakeportlanding.com for the last 29-years for the very low price of zero dollars as per their 30-year lease agreement.

Considering all the real jobs and people involved, it is a super-duper catastrophe that an agreement which continues the business cannot be worked out.....seems like a major disaster for the business, owners, and employees...if they .... the City of Laconia and the business ...... cannot re-do the lease agreement to keep a very viable business going strong???? Twenty-nine years of selling boats, running a successful marina biz.....and employing many people ....and it sounds like they are not getting the treatment they deserve from the City of Laconia.
pondguy (11-25-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
Charlie T

Default The boy who cried wolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
From an article in today's Laconia Citizen, it sounds like the City of Laconia will be taking possession of the one-acre lot, and the Lakeport Landing's primary showroom/repair/office building in November, 2015 which has been home to www.lakeportlanding.com for the last 29-years for the very low price of zero dollars as per their 30-year lease agreement.

Considering all the real jobs and people involved, it is a super-duper catastrophe that an agreement which continues the business cannot be worked out.....seems like a major disaster for the business, owners, and employees...if they .... the City of Laconia and the business ...... cannot re-do the lease agreement to keep a very viable business going strong???? Twenty-nine years of selling boats, running a successful marina biz.....and employing many people ....and it sounds like they are not getting the treatment they deserve from the City of Laconia.
Hey FLL

Someone needs to say it so it might as well be me. Don't you think your words might carry more weight if ANY of your other 4426 posts were sincere????? You may or may not have a valid point in this case but I don't think most on this forum that have read and put up with your nonsense over the years put a lot of faith in what you have to say.

"Don't ya know"

My opinion only, everyone else's mileage may vary.

Charlie T
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-08-2017), brk-lnt (11-24-2014), Cal (11-27-2014), dpg (12-02-2014), Phantom (11-25-2014), Top-Water (08-23-2020)
Old 11-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
brk-lnt

Some more info about the lease expiration:

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...keport-landing

It would be nice to see this handled "peacefully" and practically. Give Lakeport Landing a fair shot at outright acquiring the property instead of getting into some kind of a bidding war with Irwin/etc. However, given the way Laconia seems to handle most of its business, I doubt this process will end resembling anything at all dignified.
Reilly (05-29-2015)
Old 11-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Some more info about the lease expiration:

It would be nice to see this handled "peacefully" and practically. Give Lakeport Landing a fair shot at outright acquiring the property instead of getting into some kind of a bidding war with Irwin/etc. However, given the way Laconia seems to handle most of its business, I doubt this process will end resembling anything at all dignified.
You are correct, the current council act like a bunch of bumbling idiots. With the David Gammon case, the Hathaway House, building a new high school, building the new athletic field, etc. etc. they are crying for money. Good thing Straight Arrow Party in the 80's put a cap on annual spending. This cap even make the county be careful with spending.

So with the cap, they consider the strip mall as income, and the one lot as money to burn!

The council has already been told to be careful with the Lakeport Landing fiasco. Losing the business will be disastrous to the city's coffin. Problem is the council don't care about the future, just what they can do now. Let the future worry about the future.
Reilly (05-29-2015)
Old 11-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
Hey FLL

Someone needs to say it so it might as well be me. Don't you think your words might carry more weight if ANY of your other 4426 posts were sincere????? You may or may not have a valid point in this case but I don't think most on this forum that have read and put up with your nonsense over the years put a lot of faith in what you have to say.

"Don't ya know"

My opinion only, everyone else's mileage may vary.

Charlie T
Your comment is un-called for and down right nasty!
KPW (12-01-2014), Longtimelurker (11-24-2014), michael (06-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Not to get off topic, but I disagree. 99% of what FLL posts is non-constructive gibberish. I have him blocked for exactly that reason, I got tired of reading his 'contributions'.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
Rusty

Quote:
Not to get off topic, but I disagree. 99% of what FLL posts is non-constructive gibberish. I have him blocked for exactly that reason, I got tired of reading his 'contributions'.
Do you think that what FLL said in this thread is "gibberish"?

If you do, please point out what part that you don't like.

IMO FLL contributes more to this forum then 99% of you regulars.
Jersey Ed (11-25-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I agree with FLL on this one. Laconia is notorious for throwing roadblocks up to business. Too bad because there was a group wanting to restore the Hathaway house until it was realized that the bureaucratic red tape would not allow for a workable budget.
Lakeport Landing is long established business that has contributed much to the lakes region......shameful that the city is not willing to help them.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Do you think that what FLL said in this thread is "gibberish"?
To a degree, yes. He's previously used a fair amount of hyperbole in his posts, and he posts without citing any sources, references, or other information. Given some of his previous posts I'd say someone would have to be a bit "generous" to take any of his posts at face value. So, in a way, his post is indeed gibberish since you can't really trust any of the information provided in it.

If you take the time to read some of the other news articles circulating on this issue, it sounds as if what to do with the property is still in question/in the process of being decided by the city. They may take possession of the property, yes, but they are also in process of seeking public input on the matter.

It's a semi-serious matter as far as the overall business is concerned and the tax base and such for the city. If he wanted to foster a genuine discussion on the matter, his post was a less than ideal way to go about doing that.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Charlie T

Default I disagree

Quote:
I disagree Rusty. There was nothing "nasty" about my post. FLL has admitted his main reason for being here is to stir the pot. My post was to point out to him that "The boy who cried wolf too much wasn't believed when the wolf actually appeared". If you always act as the court jester don't expect to be taken seriously on that rare occasion that you don't act like a fool.

I stand by my post. It was not meant to be nasty or offensive, it was simply a truthful statement.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-08-2017), brk-lnt (11-24-2014), Reilly (11-25-2014), Top-Water (08-23-2020), Winnisquamguy (11-25-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #11
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
FLL has admitted his main reason for being here is to stir the pot.
So what!! Why do you care what FLL posts, the Admin is the one who will make a decision as to when it gets to be too much.

Don't read his posts if you dislike them so much.

I enjoy his comments and think it would be a shame if he ever decided to stop posting or the Admin took action against him.
Longtimelurker (11-24-2014), Sunbeam lodge (12-05-2015)
Old 11-25-2014, 02:22 AM   #12
glennsteely

Default I agree.....

Quote:
others have blocked him, so you do it if you don't like his posts....personally, I think he is funny, witty and one of the very reasons that I come here everyday!!
Jersey Ed (11-25-2014), Resident 2B (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #13
jrc

Why waste time with bashing FLL, he can't help himself. Thanksgiving is coming, we all have that special relative.

Back to the topic. In my opinion, assuming the city does not need the lot for city purposes, it should sell or lease to the highest bidder. Anything else would smell of corruption.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (12-04-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,155 Times in 902 Posts
Default 90 More Days Until it Comes Up Again

Laconia Daily Sun

TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So lets think about this some. What has Lakeport Landing gotten out of this deal....

1. Free use of public property
2. extra room to help them run their business.

What has the City of Laconia gotten from this:

1. A successful business with in the Town.

What would seem reasonable at this point?

1. For Lakeport Landing be given the chance to buy the lot at market value
2. For Lakeport Landing to get the first right of refusal
3. For Lakeport Landing to create a new lease for the land with the Town, that incorporates a market value rent for the Town.

At the end of the day the Town will do what it wants.....I suggest that those of you that Live in Laconia, and have an opinion on this to get involved and give your opinion to the City Council....

I also think that Ms. Blizzard needs to be careful and more truthful about what she says. Loosing the use of the property will have a negative effect on the business, however I don't believe it will be detrimental to the business. I do believe it will have an effect on the operating costs of the business but certainly nothing that will impair the ability of the business to be profitable.

Why should Lakeport Landing get a concession like the use of the land for free? For the first 30 years the rent was the cost of putting up a building, and developing it, while cultivating their business... I am actually ok with that. Now the building is up, the land developed to their needs..... So now it is time to pay the piper and buy the land from the Town.

As Irwin would undoubtedly want to buy the lot, the Town seems to be doing what the should be doing and acting in their own best interest. I am sure Lakeport Landing, is acting in their best interest as well....Unfortunately it has to play out in a way that will make everyone comfortable... Because the town can't simply put a new lease into place or directly sell the lot to Lakeport.... There is red tape involved.....

My Hope is the following:

The town puts the lot and building up for Sale, with Lakeport Landing having the first right of refusal. Why you may ask, because it allows their to be no argument between the two parties on the value of the land. Then as the sale price also includes the building, Lakeport should get credit towards the purchase price for sum of money they invested into the building that they previously put up.

Unfortunately I don't live or own property in Laconia, so I have no ability to influence the outcome of this issue. But As I stated earlier those of you that are residents should speak to the Town council, and help influence the outcome.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #16
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So lets think about this some. What has Lakeport Landing gotten out of this deal....

1. Free use of public property
2. extra room to help them run their business.

What has the City of Laconia gotten from this:

1. A successful business with in the Town.

What would seem reasonable at this point?

1. For Lakeport Landing be given the chance to buy the lot at market value
2. For Lakeport Landing to get the first right of refusal
3. For Lakeport Landing to create a new lease for the land with the Town, that incorporates a market value rent for the Town.

At the end of the day the Town will do what it wants.....I suggest that those of you that Live in Laconia, and have an opinion on this to get involved and give your opinion to the City Council....

I also think that Ms. Blizzard needs to be careful and more truthful about what she says. Loosing the use of the property will have a negative effect on the business, however I don't believe it will be detrimental to the business. I do believe it will have an effect on the operating costs of the business but certainly nothing that will impair the ability of the business to be profitable.

Why should Lakeport Landing get a concession like the use of the land for free? For the first 30 years the rent was the cost of putting up a building, and developing it, while cultivating their business... I am actually ok with that. Now the building is up, the land developed to their needs..... So now it is time to pay the piper and buy the land from the Town.

As Irwin would undoubtedly want to buy the lot, the Town seems to be doing what the should be doing and acting in their own best interest. I am sure Lakeport Landing, is acting in their best interest as well....Unfortunately it has to play out in a way that will make everyone comfortable... Because the town can't simply put a new lease into place or directly sell the lot to Lakeport.... There is red tape involved.....

My Hope is the following:

The town puts the lot and building up for Sale, with Lakeport Landing having the first right of refusal. Why you may ask, because it allows their to be no argument between the two parties on the value of the land. Then as the sale price also includes the building, Lakeport should get credit towards the purchase price for sum of money they invested into the building that they previously put up.

Unfortunately I don't live or own property in Laconia, so I have no ability to influence the outcome of this issue. But As I stated earlier those of you that are residents should speak to the Town council, and help influence the outcome.
I don't really follow the part about LL getting a credit for the building.
From the Laconia Sun: The lease expires on November 1, 2015 and the tenant has no right to extend it further. At the termination of the lease all buildings and improvements on the lot become the property of the city.
To me that would seem that the improvements made (the building) were instead of rent and should belong to the city or the city should gain from the improvements. I wouldn't think that LL would get a credit if they or anyone else buys it.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
From the Laconia Sun: The lease expires on November 1, 2015 and the tenant has no right to extend it further. At the termination of the lease all buildings and improvements on the lot become the property of the city.
To me that would seem that the improvements made (the building) were instead of rent and should belong to the city or the city should gain from the improvements. I wouldn't think that LL would get a credit if they or anyone else buys it.
They built no mansion over there. 29 years later, any storage building turned showroom/ office has had a good life!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #18
sum-r breeze

Default Not good news for Lakeport Landing

Lakeport Landing has had a rough go of it over the last few years. They lost their Formula franchise and now they might lose their high visibility show room too. Those are a couple of tough hurdles to over come.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz i'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
Lakeport Landing has had a rough go of it over the last few years. They lost their Formula franchise and now they might lose their high visibility show room too. Those are a couple of tough hurdles to over come.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz i'll be wavin' back
While I don't disagree that these hurdles are tough on a business, I think that they put themselves in this position.....Certainly Erica's high profile legal troubles didn't help either... Why a successful Marina was aligned only with one boat MFG, is mind boggling... They should have had a better portfolio of products... but that was their choice.... The chose to build upon land they didn't own, and which had a lease with a definite end point, and conditions. Once again the marina entered into this by choice...Therefore they caused this situation...

Now that isn't to say that I think the city should simply screw the company... I think they need to understand what is allowable within the laws that govern the town and try to come to a mutually beneficial solution, that would help LL keep using the land, and building....

Time will tell...
sum-r breeze (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #20
Happy Gourmand

Does anybody know how much they paid to Laconia to lease this land? Some posts make it sound like they used the property for 30 years for nothing. This whole situation is not a "first". I'd be surprised if there are not procedures in place to deal with this situation that is fair to all parties.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
sum-r breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
While I don't disagree that these hurdles are tough on a business, I think that they put themselves in this position.....Certainly Erica's high profile legal troubles didn't help either... Why a successful Marina was aligned only with one boat MFG, is mind boggling... They should have had a better portfolio of products... but that was their choice.... The chose to build upon land they didn't own, and which had a lease with a definite end point, and conditions. Once again the marina entered into this by choice...Therefore they caused this situation...

Now that isn't to say that I think the city should simply screw the company... I think they need to understand what is allowable within the laws that govern the town and try to come to a mutually beneficial solution, that would help LL keep using the land, and building....

Time will tell...
I agree.....actions have consequences. I wonder if Irwin's has been approached by the city of Laconia? They being the closest abutter.

The Breeze
wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
Old 11-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #22
fatlazyless

It could be that the City of Laconia is seeing a big big purchase price if they sell off the very hi-visibility Lakeport Landing marina home building to the next door neighbor, Irwin Marine, plus to sub-divide the one acre lot and keep one half-acre for the city for either a small park, or a parking lot, or for the Lakeport fire station, or some city use. U-know......split the property in half......keep half the land for the city....and sell the marina building on a half-acre for some big big bucks to Irwin. After thirty years, that chain link fence topped with three lines of barbed wire, that seperates Irwins and Lakeport will be a-coming down?

With three locations; in Hudson, Alton, and Laconia, and being New England's one and only five-star Sea Ray dealer..... Irwin ... www.irwinmarine.com ...definately has the big money to pay the big-bucks, and seems like an automatic, made-to-order BUYER ....with no broker needed!

As for creating more local Laconia jobs with the addition of the Lakeport Landing property over to Irwin Marine......it ain't necessarily so. About two or three months ago, an article in the LaDaSun mentioned that Irwin's had cut their number of employees from about 78 down to 49 ......something to do with having fewer than 50 employees.....and health insurance.....and the Affordable Health Care Act of 2010....and...oh well.....November 1, 2015 is about 49-weeks from now.....which is when this 30-year lease agreement expires.....so who knows what will happen?......maybe Carnac the Magnificent could foresee how this scenario will unwind? ......yes, I see a lot of money.....mucho mucho mucho mega green-stuff.....some very big money for the city here?

Irwin's could be using the Lakeport Landing building for selling and servicing jetskis and snowmobiles; items that have been sold from Alton but not from Laconia, and finance the building purchase with a low-interest, 30-year loan, or something? That seems like a good, strong Irwin use for that huge two-story marina designed, service building with its huge visibility from Union Ave; jetskis and snowmobiles; sales and service ..... certainly MUCHO more major MOJO for their retail biz than kayaks, and Sunfish sailboats!

The City has the land and building assessed for something like $375,000, so if Irwin pays double that at $750,000 for half the land, a one-half acre, and the very nice marina service building; over a 30-year loan, that works out to $750,000 divided by 30 years = $25,000/year plus the interest. Now, is it worth $25,000/year+interest to Irwin to have ownership of the hi-visibility two-story marina building for selling and servicing jetskis and snowmobiles which are two items not currently sold from Irwin's-Laconia? Only Irwin's know's what Irwin's wants to do ..... but it seems like a good business move to me for them to purchase the building.... IF they can beat out Lakeport Landing's price offer....

If Carnac the Magnificent was still on tv ... he'd be riding a new snowmobile... that he bought at Irwin's on Union Ave .... come the winter of 2016!!! ..... go....Carnac.....go.....definately magnificent!

.....say-hey....how's about the City using that new money to build on city land somewhere a $750,000, Laconia community tennis center with six courts inside an inflatable structure ... www.arizonstructures.com ; all air-conditioned and heated.....that's what Laconia really wants ..... plus maybe the City could name it the Stephanie Beaudoin memorial tennis courts as a way to remember her! Unlike football, basketball, and baseball; tennis is a sport that one can play till you are 99!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-06-2014 at 11:08 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #23
john60ri

Default Fll

Surprised at the criticism of FLL. I've always found him very entertaining. Hang in there, pal!
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #24
fatlazyless

Default .... City Council defers decision

"Alternative for Lakeport Landing? City Council defers decision"

Today's November 27 Laconia Daily Sun has a nuts and bolts report on the latest "what's happening" at Lakeport Landing. Some interesting stuff!

The Laconia City Council voted unanimously to wait at least 90-days before making any decisions on how to proceed with the Lakeport Landing property.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #25
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default You'll see a familiar name in this article

Laconia Daily Sun

Quote:
City manager to negotiate sale of city lot
  • Published Date Wednesday, 27 May 2015 01:38

LACONIA — The City Council last night rejected two offers — one from Lakeport Landing and the other from Irwin Marine – for the property on Union Avenue leased for the past 30 years to Landing Landing, both of which fell shy of the appraised value of $480,000.
The property, a 0.81 acre strip between the roadway and railway was leased to Lakeport Landing in 1985 for 10 years with two 10-year renewal periods. The lease will expire on November 1, 2015 and cannot be renewed again. In 1987 Lakeport Landing constructed a 9,840-square-foot building on the lot. Under the terms of the lease, ownership of the building would revert to the city at the expiration date.
Erica Blizzard, who owns and operates Lakeport Landing, offered to purchase the property for $331,400 and subsequently Irwin Marine, which operates on the abutting lot, submitted an offer of $335,000.
Councilor Brenda Baer (Ward 4) proposed negotiating a sale of the property to Lakeport Landing at its appraised value. She was joined only by Councilor Arman Bolduc (Ward 6). With Councilors Henery Lipman (Ward 3), David Bownes (Ward 2) and Ava Doyle (Ward 1) in the majority, Baer's motion failed by a vote of three-to-two.
Lipman proposed authorizing the City Manager Scott Myers to negotiate with both Lakeport Landing and Irwin Marine, with respect to the appraised value as well as other conditions for the sale of the property. The city will require easements to maintain the retaining wall along Union Avenue. The owner of the property would be expected to maintain its taxable value for a specified period of time. Should Lakeport Landing fail to acquire the property, the transaction would be subject to a transition period of up to two years to enable the firm to make alternative arrangements for its operations. Finally, prospective buyers would asked to consider subdividing the property and transfer approximately a third of the lot to the city for a parking lot.
Lipman said he anticipated these discussion would begin soon with an eye to structuring a sale of the property in July.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #26
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
I don't disagree... My reasoning is the following LL could have made no improvements to the land, and just used it as a storage yard.... Why make them pay for the building twice, that is all....LL new what they where doing and involved in... so they caused this situation all on their own.... from that regard I have now sympathy for them.... I expect the city to be fair, but do what is best for them city, and allowable in the confines of the laws that govern them..
Old 11-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #27
dave603

Don't really see a problem here. Lakeport "leased" the property for the last 30 years at $0 dollars.
So what if they did do improvements to the area.
The City charter, according to this last article, demands the city to put it out for bid to ALL interested parties.
Sounds more to me like someone got a sweetheart deal 30 years ago.
Wish I could get that kind of lease to run my business. I could use 30 years of making a profit with no lease.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #28
Woodsy

Default So what??

I didn't see where Lakeport Landing leased the property for $0... but who cares if they did? I doubt there $0 dollar lease only because it would smack of the very favoritism that Irwin Marine sued the city over when the city originally sold the contested property to Lakeport Landing. I think a $0 lease would have been cause for another lawsuit. Though back then I suppose anything was possible.

Anyway, Lakeport Landing has 30 years of paying the taxes on the property, 30 years of maintaining and improving the property and they have 30 years of being a good business in the city. They employ a lot of people and this will negatively affect them one way or another.

As a Laconia resident I would like to see what is best for the City, and Lakeport Landing within the constraints of the law... I do not need to see my tax dollars being spent defending a silly lawsuit brought by Irwin Marine or Lakeport Landing.

That being said, I think the only real course of action is to declare the property surplus, then sell the property.. Unfortunately for Lakeport, I don't think there is an easy way out other than buying the property. I don't think the City can legally give Lakeport the first right of refusal. But if they can, they should. If not, then let the bidding process begin and be open and transparent.

Woodsy
Old 11-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #29
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
As a Laconia resident I would like to see what is best for the City, and Lakeport Landing within the constraints of the law... I do not need to see my tax dollars being spent defending a silly lawsuit brought by Irwin Marine or Lakeport Landing.
That is exactly what the city did with the D. Gammon case. Dave contested the $538 that was owed to him in challenging a case the city lost. Instead the city balked and the city lost again spending 10 times that in Superior Court. This is one of many. When it comes to the Lakeport Landing case, well history will repeats itself. No wonder the lawyers in town are living well. And on our dime!
Old 11-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #30
BroadHopper

Default As for FLL

I did have serious contention during the SL debate. But it is to the proponent advantage when he was making accusations that was false.

I do admire his wits and every forum has a 'character'. Normally I ignore his remarks and others can either take it at face value or do your homework and the truth will speak.
Resident 2B (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #31
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

I don't think the City can legally give Lakeport the first right of refusal. But if they can, they should. If not, then let the bidding process begin and be open and transparent.

Woodsy
Well Woodsy, the good news is we agree....

The question is can they legally give first right of refusal.... I don't know why they couldn't, but I also don't know if the could.

The other possibility is that it be Auction off to have the same effect... Once again if it is allowable within the governing laws....

And that is what this is really about, what legally can be done...... I am sure the Town could release the land to Lakeport as well... But what does that do... it just puts the same situation in play again sometime in the future.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #32
Happy Gourmand

Aren't many of the buildings at the Weirs and some other locations on leased land? What happens when those leases expire?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #33
BroadHopper

Default Railroad right of way

I believe the land between the railroad track and the lake are considered leased land. Gov Hassan, in order to raise revenue, passed a law back in 2007 that anyone using that land must pay lease to the state. Not sure if it is really happening, but I do know they are looking into a development of land between the lake and track off Paugus Bay. The state is determining whether the developer/association must pay a lease fee.

Can you imagine what would become of LB/SD, Channel and Thurston Marine? How about Irwin Gardens? Hassan open Pandora's box!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I believe the land between the railroad track and the lake are considered leased land. Gov Hassan, in order to raise revenue, passed a law back in 2007 that anyone using that land must pay lease to the state. Not sure if it is really happening, but I do know they are looking into a development of land between the lake and track off Paugus Bay. The state is determining whether the developer/association must pay a lease fee.

Can you imagine what would become of LB/SD, Channel and Thurston Marine? How about Irwin Gardens? Hassan open Pandora's box!
Hassan wasn't Governor in 2007.
upthesaukee (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #35
Woodsy

Happy...

The State of NH has been leasing the waterfront (mostly on property that the railroad originally owned) to property owners for decades... It used to be be for pretty short $$. During the last building boom, developers were taking advantage. As a result, the State looked at getting more $$$ for those leases.

For example... Southdown is a property with LOTS of leased waterfront. They could be very negatively affected if the State decided not to renew their lease.

Woodsy
Old 11-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #36
BroadHopper

Default You are correct Woodsy

http://laconiadailysun.com/index.php...orefront-lease

After reading this article, the state was leasing the land, however the state is reviewing all properties as there are those who have not been paying a lease. As the last paragraph states, its all about revenue.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #37
gwhite13

Default lakeport landing

Is anyone sure taxes were paid by LL. If I lease property from someone, they generally are responsible for taxes. Since a municipal entity does not incur taxes, moot dollars abound.
gwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #38
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite13 View Post
Is anyone sure taxes were paid by LL. If I lease property from someone, they generally are responsible for taxes. Since a municipal entity does not incur taxes, moot dollars abound.
No idea, but it wouldn't be at all surprising if they didn't pay *property* taxes. They would have likely paid other taxes to the city though.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #39
Woodsy

Default It is a tricky situation....

The way most laws governing the disposal of public property are written, I think the city has a fiduciary and legal duty to the citizens of Laconia to sell the property for fair market value.

I don't think the public property disposal laws allow for the City to be able to legally "gift" the property to a "For Profit" business.

The City can show any favoritism towards Lakeport Landing, and I think the right of first refusal might be considered favoritism by Irwin Marine and result in another lawsuit. But I have not seen the lease agreement either.

How the City goes about the sale of the property will mostly be semantics. In the end a sale will occur, and the property will belong to someone other than the City of Laconia. I personally would like to see Lakeport Landing retain the property. IMHO I think it would be extremely detrimental to their business to lose that location.

Woodsy

Woodsy
Old 06-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #40
playinghooky

Default Editorial by Erica Blizzard from the Citizen 6/11/15

The sale of Lakeport Landing to Irwin is unfair, reconsider it
Jun 11, 2015

In 1978, my family purchased Lakeport Landing Marina. They sold everything they had including a vehicle just for the down payment. My father came from less than nothing, but what he lacked in education and money, he made up for with hard work and determination. My parents struggled for years working every day to turn a boat yard, which looked more like a junk yard, into a marina. My father had a vision.

His vision was hindered in 1983 after he rightfully purchased the property located at 21 Elm St. from the City of Laconia for $25,000. An error was made by the city and Irwin Marine sued to block the sale. The mistake resulted in the city having to undo the transaction and return the money to my father.

We ended up with a 30-year lease instead which at the time was our only option. My father always believed that there was an understanding with the city that he had the first right to purchase the property at the end of the lease.

My father passed away on April 10, 2013. For most of my life, I have known how important obtaining this property was to him. I saw how disappointed he was at the end when he realized that his time was running out and this part of his vision from way back in 1978 had not been achieved.

Over the years, we invested over $500,000 in the property in the form of improvements, taxes and lease payments. Last fall we offered to purchase the property for $331,400, which is the assessed value. By this offer, we were essentially purchasing the showroom twice. We had made the lease payments for the last 30 years and also paid to build the building, which in 1983 was in excess of $200,000. It was the deal my father had to take 30 years ago and 30 years later, this is what the city of Laconia felt the property was worth.

I became aware that Irwin Marine also still wanted the property and intended to move aggressively to do whatever it took to obtain it. They are already the largest marina in the state of New Hampshire, so obtaining this property, which is a long, narrow strip of land less than one acre, was not going to give them any more exposure and very little additional space. I couldn’t help but think that it must be some sort of power play when their representatives bluntly told me that they would acquire the property and have much deeper pockets than Lakeport Landing to do so. They informed me that it “wasn’t personal, it was business.” After 37 years of being their neighbor it was both personal and business, bad business.

I was shocked when the City Council unexpectedly made their decision during a time where I felt we were still in the negotiation process. I believe there was a “rush to judgement” and lack of consideration when the final decision was made roughly 30 minutes after looking at the two offers.

Sure, the Irwin Marine offer was in excess of any reasonable value for the property, but I question whether the City Council really had time to consider the fairness of the two offers. Without committing to a final price, my offer included an agreement to keep a taxable building of the existing size on the property for a period of 50 years.

I also agreed to substantially increase the size of another building on Park Street, which would have added to the city’s tax roll. In the long run, the city would be making much more money with Lakeport Landing’s commitment to expand, than Irwin Marine’s one time overpayment.

The City Council took something special away from me to give to Irwin Marine, because they felt this was in the best interest of the city. Who is the city? Am I not part of the city? Is my family’s taxpaying dollars since 1978 not part of the city? Are my employees who live here not part of the city? Was it fair to view both parties as identical even though Lakeport Landing has invested hundreds of thousands into the property and Irwin Marine has invested nothing?

The City Council still has the opportunity to “get it right,” if any one of the four councilors (Bownes, Doyle, Hamel or Lipman) would move to reconsider Monday’s vote to sell the property to Irwin Marine and acknowledge that the process of our negotiations may not have been properly followed.

Erica Blizzard

Laconia
playinghooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #41
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by playinghooky View Post
The sale of Lakeport Landing to Irwin is unfair, reconsider it
Jun 11, 2015

In 1978, my family purchased Lakeport Landing Marina. They sold everything they had including a vehicle just for the down payment. My father came from less than nothing, but what he lacked in education and money, he made up for with hard work and determination. My parents struggled for years working every day to turn a boat yard, which looked more like a junk yard, into a marina. My father had a vision.

His vision was hindered in 1983 after he rightfully purchased the property located at 21 Elm St. from the City of Laconia for $25,000. An error was made by the city and Irwin Marine sued to block the sale. The mistake resulted in the city having to undo the transaction and return the money to my father.

We ended up with a 30-year lease instead which at the time was our only option. My father always believed that there was an understanding with the city that he had the first right to purchase the property at the end of the lease.

My father passed away on April 10, 2013. For most of my life, I have known how important obtaining this property was to him. I saw how disappointed he was at the end when he realized that his time was running out and this part of his vision from way back in 1978 had not been achieved.

Over the years, we invested over $500,000 in the property in the form of improvements, taxes and lease payments. Last fall we offered to purchase the property for $331,400, which is the assessed value. By this offer, we were essentially purchasing the showroom twice. We had made the lease payments for the last 30 years and also paid to build the building, which in 1983 was in excess of $200,000. It was the deal my father had to take 30 years ago and 30 years later, this is what the city of Laconia felt the property was worth.

I became aware that Irwin Marine also still wanted the property and intended to move aggressively to do whatever it took to obtain it. They are already the largest marina in the state of New Hampshire, so obtaining this property, which is a long, narrow strip of land less than one acre, was not going to give them any more exposure and very little additional space. I couldn’t help but think that it must be some sort of power play when their representatives bluntly told me that they would acquire the property and have much deeper pockets than Lakeport Landing to do so. They informed me that it “wasn’t personal, it was business.” After 37 years of being their neighbor it was both personal and business, bad business.

I was shocked when the City Council unexpectedly made their decision during a time where I felt we were still in the negotiation process. I believe there was a “rush to judgement” and lack of consideration when the final decision was made roughly 30 minutes after looking at the two offers.

Sure, the Irwin Marine offer was in excess of any reasonable value for the property, but I question whether the City Council really had time to consider the fairness of the two offers. Without committing to a final price, my offer included an agreement to keep a taxable building of the existing size on the property for a period of 50 years.

I also agreed to substantially increase the size of another building on Park Street, which would have added to the city’s tax roll. In the long run, the city would be making much more money with Lakeport Landing’s commitment to expand, than Irwin Marine’s one time overpayment.

The City Council took something special away from me to give to Irwin Marine, because they felt this was in the best interest of the city. Who is the city? Am I not part of the city? Is my family’s taxpaying dollars since 1978 not part of the city? Are my employees who live here not part of the city? Was it fair to view both parties as identical even though Lakeport Landing has invested hundreds of thousands into the property and Irwin Marine has invested nothing?

The City Council still has the opportunity to “get it right,” if any one of the four councilors (Bownes, Doyle, Hamel or Lipman) would move to reconsider Monday’s vote to sell the property to Irwin Marine and acknowledge that the process of our negotiations may not have been properly followed.

Erica Blizzard

Laconia
Is it just me or is this lady highly offensive? "An error was made" which allowed the sale to be blocked? I wonder what the lease payments were for all these years? Probably a pittance? She should have bid above the appraisal price ($480,000) if she wanted the property. Her sense of entitlement is obnoxious.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (06-17-2015), Resident 2B (06-16-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #42
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Is it just me or is this lady highly offensive? "An error was made" which allowed the sale to be blocked? I wonder what the lease payments were for all these years? Probably a pittance? She should have bid above the appraisal price ($480,000) if she wanted the property. Her sense of entitlement is obnoxious.
From a financial viewpoint LL said they have spent $500k in improvements over the 30 years . $200 k for a building the rest was for taxes, lease payments. First the 200 k in building was an asset that is fully recovered through depreciation and a reduction in Fed taxes. The other $300k over 30 years amounts to $10k a year for taxes and lease payments. Can anyone sell millions of dollars of boats on that property and only pay $800 for taxes and lease payments. In addition those are normal cost of doing business and in their tax bracket the net cost after taxes would only be half that amount. They should have made a creditable bid as they have had a great deal over the years and they could then depreciate the cost of the new building over its useful life.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunbeam lodge For This Useful Post:
Joebon (06-17-2015), rander7823 (06-17-2015), secondcurve (06-17-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 06:03 AM   #43
Joebon

It's amazing that people don't read the leases/contracts they sign. Someone that entitled deserves what has happened.
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #44
BroadHopper

Default Irwin Marine

desperately needs parking for the valet service and those who trailer their boats and use the launch ramp. I was told that was the original goal of the land purchase, for parking. Since the city is looking for more parking, this has to be the carrot on the end of the stick.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #45
codeman671

Quote:
desperately needs parking for the valet service and those who trailer their boats and use the launch ramp. I was told that was the original goal of the land purchase, for parking. Since the city is looking for more parking, this has to be the carrot on the end of the stick.
Tearing down the building and turning it into a parking lot, although suiting Irwin's needs, will lower the assessed value of the property and cost Laconia in reduced tax revenue.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #46
sum-r breeze

Default Two opposites next door to each other...

Irwin Marine is the most respected name in the boating industry of the lakes region for reason..........They earned it..............Lakeport Landing is not.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
Old 06-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #47
Little Bear

Quote:
Irwin Marine is the most respected name in the boating industry of the lakes region for reason..........They earned it..............Lakeport Landing is not.

The Breeze
On what do you base this assessment/opinion?
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #48
sum-r breeze

Default You reap what you sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
On what do you base this assessment/opinion?
Personal experience with both businesses. I wouldn't be this opinionated without direct interaction with both.

The Breeze
Old 06-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #49
BroadHopper

Default Personal Experience

I have personal experience with both businesses. My family and the Irwins grew up together. Although Blizzard is a 'late comer', he has the family's trust and have given us plenty of business.

They are both trusted businesses with similar philosophies. The siblings are the differences, with more modern philosophies that my generation may or may not agree. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I have bought boats and supplies from both businesses. Irwin appeals to the middle class while LL appeals to the upper class as far as sales, yet LL has lower gas prices, lower slip and storage fees. Both have excellent maintenance facilities, Bruce and Ron are excellent to deal with, but major repairs and troubleshoot goes to Dave's Motorboat Shop.

I have never had experience with PBM, although Paul and Jack has a few 'choice words' about Kevin. I am sure Kevin has a few words about their business as well. That is what competition is all about.

Business is game. Pick you battles ladies and gentlemen!
CooperS7777 (08-05-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #50
sum-r breeze

Quote:
I have personal experience with both businesses. My family and the Irwins grew up together. Although Blizzard is a 'late comer', he has the family's trust and have given us plenty of business.

They are both trusted businesses with similar philosophies. The siblings are the differences, with more modern philosophies that my generation may or may not agree. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I have bought boats and supplies from both businesses. Irwin appeals to the middle class while LL appeals to the upper class as far as sales, yet LL has lower gas prices, lower slip and storage fees. Both have excellent maintenance facilities, Bruce and Ron are excellent to deal with, but major repairs and troubleshoot goes to Dave's Motorboat Shop.

I have never had experience with PBM, although Paul and Jack has a few 'choice words' about Kevin. I am sure Kevin has a few words about their business as well. That is what competition is all about.

Business is game. Pick you battles ladies and gentlemen!
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the upper class/ middle class assessment of the cliental. Irwin marine sells entry level boats but it also sells Meridian Yachts one of which is the largest (and probably most expensive) in MVYC. This diverse boating customer base ensures that when someone gets into boating as a young family, who can only afford "so much" boat, they will continue as customers as their financial position improves with age. Irwin treats their trailer boat customers with the same caring and appreciative attitude as they do with the big end sales. I know because I've been on both ends of that spectrum. People in the service business need to think along the lines of how the person on the other side of the counter would like to be treated. I use a saying frequently in my business "You can always tell the type of business you are dealing with when you go to them with a problem." Think about what has transpired and how you can make things better instead of denying and stonewalling the solution. A satisfied customer will tell three people...a dissatisfied one will tell three hundred.

The Breeze
Old 06-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #51
Rich

Quote:
"You can always tell the type of business you are dealing with when you go to them with a problem."
I'm glad you have had great dealings with Irwin, perhaps it was in the past?

I had a major problem brewing with one of their sales persons, I emailed all the current owners and upper management about it. Not one even took the time to say "What's going on", or "Sorry this is going on", nor even a "Thanks for being a customer".

So now I believe those that say that the sons are not running the business the same way as their father did. Just my opinion from doing business with them in the last 3 and 4 years.

Some on their staff are great, but their upper management seemed that they couldn't have cared less. Oh, I wasn't making a small purchase from them, just sayin!

I haven't had any business (yet) with Lakeport Landing, so I can't comment on them at all. But based on my personal experience with Irwin, I'm happy to tell anyone that asks that I wasn't happy with the way they handled my transaction (and several aspects of delivery). I'll give them the benefit of change, because the sales person I was dealing with is now gone, and this can only be an improvement for them. But their upper management didn't care at the time to look into what was going on, so as long as they are still in control, I don't believe their reputation is as great as they once were.

So I'll repeat your quote:
Quote:
"You can always tell the type of business you are dealing with when you go to them with a problem."
Exactly!
Old 06-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #52
sum-r breeze

Default Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm glad you have had great dealings with Irwin, perhaps it was in the past?

I had a major problem brewing with one of their sales persons, I emailed all the current owners and upper management about it. Not one even took the time to say "What's going on", or "Sorry this is going on", nor even a "Thanks for being a customer".

So now I believe those that say that the sons are not running the business the same way as their father did. Just my opinion from doing business with them in the last 3 and 4 years.

Some on their staff are great, but their upper management seemed that they couldn't have cared less. Oh, I wasn't making a small purchase from them, just sayin!

I haven't had any business (yet) with Lakeport Landing, so I can't comment on them at all. But based on my personal experience with Irwin, I'm happy to tell anyone that asks that I wasn't happy with the way they handled my transaction (and several aspects of delivery). I'll give them the benefit of change, because the sales person I was dealing with is now gone, and this can only be an improvement for them. But their upper management didn't care at the time to look into what was going on, so as long as they are still in control, I don't believe their reputation is as great as they once were.

So I'll repeat your quote:

Exactly!
Sent you a PM with some contact info
Old 06-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #53
Rich

Thanks for the PM
Old 06-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #54
sum-r breeze

Default Same answer

Quote:
Personal experience with both businesses. I wouldn't be this opinionated without direct interaction with both.

The Breeze
No change... same story......balls or not
Old 06-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #55
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Tearing down the building and turning it into a parking lot, although suiting Irwin's needs, will lower the assessed value of the property and cost Laconia in reduced tax revenue.
Not true. If Irwin outbids Lakeport by a couple hundred thousand dollars the property tax bill will be calculated on the higher sales price regardless of what is done with the building.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:28 AM   #56
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Not true. If Irwin outbids Lakeport by a couple hundred thousand dollars the property tax bill will be calculated on the higher sales price regardless of what is done with the building.
Until they get reappraised the following year, or the file for it to be reevaluated.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #57
meredith weekender

One of the stipulations that the City of Laconia had was that the property could not be altered in a way that reduce the taxable value of the property and therefore reduce the tax due on the property. This information is in the article published by the Laconia Sun on May 28, 2015 and is in an earlier post on this thread.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #58
codeman671

Quote:
Not true. If someone buys a property with a building on it and rips down the building the value is worth less and can be reassessed accordingly. Sales price and assessments don't usually match 100% anyhow. My home is proof of that, so weren't my last two. In fact, probably every one I have ever owned shows the same.

From Meredith Weekender's post above it appears that Laconia already thought of this and put in a clause to prevent them from altering the property in a way that would reduce the tax base.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #59
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Not true. If someone buys a property with a building on it and rips down the building the value is worth less and can be reassessed accordingly. Sales price and assessments don't usually match 100% anyhow. My home is proof of that, so weren't my last two. In fact, probably every one I have ever owned shows the same.

From Meredith Weekender's post above it appears that Laconia already thought of this and put in a clause to prevent them from altering the property in a way that would reduce the tax base.
I stand corrected. Thanks
Old 08-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #60
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,213 Posts

Can someone explain why they would be a fence requirement? This would be along the shore, right?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #61
fatlazyless

Opinion article about the progress of the WOW Trail from last Monday, August 17:

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...e-we-there-yet

"The WOW Trail will be a treasure for the City of Laconia. It will help build community, provide a healthy opportunity for people to gather and exercise, and will also beautify an area near the tracks that would otherwise remain unkempt. We are proud to be part of such a community-based effort."
Old 08-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #62
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Opinion article about the progress of the WOW Trail from last Monday, August 17:

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...e-we-there-yet

"The WOW Trail will be a treasure for the City of Laconia. It will help build community, provide a healthy opportunity for people to gather and exercise, and will also beautify an area near the tracks that would otherwise remain unkempt. We are proud to be part of such a community-based effort."
Beautify with a chain link fence?
There are lots of wonderful walking trails in the lakes region...they are called sidewalks
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #63
AC2717

now that this thread is officially hijacked why does it need to go that way
why don't they just complete the sidewalks down union ave (has lake views) then down lake st to weirs blvd sidewalks all along the waterfront down the road? SO Lakeport and down union street infront of Irwins, to the cemetery (which will give those stores business) then left at the cemetery and in front front of the margate and then bam, you are on the waterfront right after the margate and a few properties. Most of the sidewalk is already completed and then meet up with the rail over the bridge and dumps into the weirs

beautiful views and there is already a road easement and fencing down the road and it will be a lot cheaper to finish the sidewalks

oh wait it makes way too much sense
Longtimelurker (08-20-2015), Major (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #64
dave603

Most rail trails are also for Bikes.
Your not supposed to be riding a bike on the sidewalks.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #65
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
Most rail trails are also for Bikes.
Your not supposed to be riding a bike on the sidewalks.
put a trail on the sidewalk, they do on streets
Longtimelurker (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #66
dave603

Is there room to do that in the route described? Probably not.

Bikers along that stretch would be a nightmare if they have to stay on the road, unsafe for them and drivers.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:53 AM   #67
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
Is there room to do that in the route described? Probably not.

Bikers along that stretch would be a nightmare if they have to stay on the road, unsafe for them and drivers.
plenty of room on the waterfront side of weirs blvd
Old 08-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #68
LongBay

Default Or how about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
why don't they just complete the sidewalks down union ave (has lake views) then down lake st to weirs blvd sidewalks all along the waterfront down the road? SO Lakeport and down union street infront of Irwins, to the cemetery (which will give those stores business) then left at the cemetery and in front front of the margate and then bam, you are on the waterfront right after the margate and a few properties. Most of the sidewalk is already completed and then meet up with the rail over the bridge and dumps into the weirs

beautiful views and there is already a road easement and fencing down the road and it will be a lot cheaper to finish the sidewalks

Or how about just posting signs pointing up to Gunstock where there are lots of under utilized walking, hiking and biking paths already funded by Belknap county taxpayer money.

Oh that idea makes too much sense also.

Now back to the original post...
How about just using the new money collected from the sale of the Lakeport property to help pay down the Laconia debt burden so that local taxes don't go up for a change.

Oh yea, this idea also makes too much sense
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #69
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post

I have address the issue about turning the old lake shore railroad bed between the Water works and the old burger king property and link up to the existing bike path in back of MacDonald's. You can ask the now infamous Cafula of Hathaway House fame, owner of the Dunkin Dognuts on Union Ave. why we couldn't use the old rail bed. The city has already witness almost fatal bike/pedestrian accidents along that stretch of Union Ave. How many more accidents do we need to convince the good folks to do the right thing?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #70
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Can someone explain why they would be a fence requirement? This would be along the shore, right?

Because of the worry that people are too stupid and/or self-involved to notice a giant, noisy train coming down the tracks. Also, running over a person on the tracks would be bad for business for the Winnipesaukee railroad.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #71
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Because of the worry that people are too stupid and/or self-involved to notice a giant, noisy train coming down the tracks. Also, running over a person on the tracks would be bad for business for the Winnipesaukee railroad.
Gotcha. Sad state of affairs that Stand By Me moments are thwarted by fences!

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #72
wifi

Wait, the lawyers need feeding too
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #73
Phantom

Looks like a new development ..... or I'm behind in the news

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx/local-news

Old 10-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #74
8gv

The purchase price of $528,000 is about sixty years worth of rent at $8,750/year.

I suspect that both marinas are unhappy with the deal. That means it's a good deal.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote