Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Den65

Default Day Spa and tipping

Ok Forum members tell me what you think about this. I purchased a gift certificate for my wife's birthday to a local day spa for the full treatment 3+ hours of pampering. What my issue was they included the 18% tip up front. Now I am not a cheap tipper I start at 20% and you work your way down or stay at 20% (the higher which is most times). But a tip is earned by your server not expected or just given, am I wrong here. I would have given my wife the extra money to give the person providing she was satisfied with what she got. So what do you think.
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
phoenix

I would agree with you as TIPS was to insure prompt service . I was amazed the other day when I went to pick up shirts at the cleaners and there was a tip jar there
Old 05-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
RailroadJoe

There are tip jars everywhere. Check the counter next time you buy an ice cream cone at an ice cream shop.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Newbiesaukee

Certainly, you have a point. My wife says some places do add tip but ask if OK. My take is that with gift certificates perhaps recipients are less likely to tip. The world ain't perfect. You can choose not to repeat.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
brk-lnt

I think you're way over-reacting.

Including the tip on the gift-cert means that it is truly an "all inclusive" gift for the recipient, and it ensures the masseuse doesn't get accidentally "forgotten" about.

If you/she really thinks the service doesn't warrant the 18% tip, then speak up after the treatment and my guess is the manager will be happy to make it right.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Rusty

If I bought a gift certificate at a spa and they added a gratuity charge on it I would have asked for my money back.
The amount of gratuity depends on the service rendered and should not be expected.
I'll bet the technician will expect you to tip him/her also because I don't think all the upfront tip goes to him/her. 18% to the owner and then you have to tip again.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
18% to the owner and then you have to tip again.
I will guarantee you this is not the case.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
Misha888

Default Way overreacting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I think you're way over-reacting.

Including the tip on the gift-cert means that it is truly an "all inclusive" gift for the recipient, and it ensures the masseuse doesn't get accidentally "forgotten" about.

If you/she really thinks the service doesn't warrant the 18% tip, then speak up after the treatment and my guess is the manager will be happy to make it right.
I think not. It is a warranted question.

When I purchase a Gift Certificate for services and give it to someone, I include cash in the card so the person can ascertain whether the 18% is warranted.

Personally, I have an all day spa "gift certificate" that was given to me 5 years ago. That's $350 they made without rendering the service . . . and if there was 18% tacked on they're going to get that too?

Just more entitlement speak.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha888 View Post
I think not. It is a warranted question.

When I purchase a Gift Certificate for services and give it to someone, I include cash in the card so the person can ascertain whether the 18% is warranted.

Personally, I have an all day spa "gift certificate" that was given to me 5 years ago. That's $350 they made without rendering the service . . . and if there was 18% tacked on they're going to get that too?

Just more entitlement speak.
Your 5 year old unused gift certificate is an entirely different matter, and relates to all manner of gift cards, tip-included or not.

I'm not a huge fan of the over-done "tipping culture" in America, but like it or not a gratuity is essentially non-optional in these cases. Unless of course the service was horrible or something totally abnormal. So you could argue it either way about how/when/where a gratuity should be factored in on something like this.

Additionally, we operate in a free capitalist market, if you don't like the business policies, you don't have to shop there.

I also never said OP's question was unwarranted, just that I thought they were over-reacting (which was in response to the post asking for opinions). Try not to assert statements to me that I didn't make.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
Misha888

Default My sincerest apologies

Quote:
Your 5 year old unused gift certificate is an entirely different matter, and relates to all manner of gift cards, tip-included or not.

I'm not a huge fan of the over-done "tipping culture" in America, but like it or not a gratuity is essentially non-optional in these cases. Unless of course the service was horrible or something totally abnormal. So you could argue it either way about how/when/where a gratuity should be factored in on something like this.

Additionally, we operate in a free capitalist market, if you don't like the business policies, you don't have to shop there.

I also never said OP's question was unwarranted, just that I thought they were over-reacting (which was in response to the post asking for opinions). Try not to assert statements to me that I didn't make.
Your comment of over-reaction was not warranted. I'll choose my words more closely next time.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Guarantee

Quote:
I will guarantee you this is not the case.
That is a pretty tall guarantee. You must have some inside information.

I once worked for a company in the service industry that would tell clients that their fee included everything, the service, tip, and tax and then put the total on a credit card. Then the company kept all of the money and told us that the tip money was used for advertising and we got more business because of it. The client didn't tip because they thought they already did when they booked the job.

I worked at another company that insisted that we turn in all of our tips and they then gave us back half of the tip in a paycheck and kept the rest. This was a business with per job tips in the $50 to $300 range so it amounted to a lot of cash for the owner. Before you ask, there were many regular customers so the owner knew what the tip for that job would be.

So............don't be so sure that the employees are well taken care of!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
phoenix

I still think part of tipping philosophy relates to the compensation a service provider makes as well as the quality of service. restaurant workers make $ 3 per hour and need the tips to get to a reasonable wage. Some people are getting good wages and maybe the tips should be discretionary and a lower percent . It is not always evident but to me its a consideration
Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha888 View Post
Your comment of over-reaction was not warranted. I'll choose my words more closely next time.
His post started with "...tell me what you think of this". I told him what I thought.

Sorry if you disagree with me offering a free opinion in response to solicitation for such.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
jrc

If someone gave me a gift to a service that normally required a tip and the tip was included, I would think kindly on the thoughtful giver. Otherwise my gift of a free service, now cost me money for a tip.

I guess that the possibility of the service being poor enough to withhold a tip does exist but how often does that happen? Do you really buy gift certificates at establishments that frequently give poor service? I doubt it, so we are talking about a pretty rare circumstance.

If your wife comes back from her day spa and complains that the service was poor, then you call the spa and complain. You picked a reputable company, so they will make it right, maybe a refund, or at least a discount on future business.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (05-28-2014), Den65 (05-28-2014), rander7823 (06-05-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #15
winnisummergal

Default i like to have my choice

I wouldn't appreciate the business taking my choice away. Tipping is a choice, not a necessity. (For the record, I bartended my way through college and am very aware how important tips are to one's income.) Often, I tip over 20%, sometimes under depending on the level of service I receive.

I like to have the choice to decide what to give my service provider based on the experience I receive at that time.
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winnisummergal For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (05-29-2014), Den65 (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
Rusty

We have enough laws in this country but there should be one that forces a gratuity charge on anything.

The gift certificate should say that the gratuity is not included. That way whoever goes to the spa he/she can give what they feel they deserve.

I still think that the owner of the spa gets some of the gratuity when it's charged up front. Maybe not a lot, but they'll take some of it.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #17
Pam

Personally, I love it when a spa or restaurant automatically adds an 18% tip (as long as they tell me, of course- if they don't, that's another matter), since it saves me a little math, and also saves me some money, since I'd usually tip 20%.

If the service was really bad enough to affect the tip amount, I'd bring it up to the management. Otherwise, I'm more than happy to go with what's easiest for me. Of course, I'd love it if tipping became a thing of the past- for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, but that's not likely to happen.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pam For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (05-29-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #18
chipj29

I was recently at a larger chain restaurant in the area. At the bottom of the printed bill there were some tip calculations based on the check total, 15%, 18% and 20%, intended to show how much tip to leave. The funny thing is, the calculations were way off. I was going to leave a 20% tip on a $60 tab. $12, right? Well their calculation for 20% was a few dollars less.
I wondered if their calculation was based on the pre-tax amount. Didn’t wonder enough to really try to figure it out.

And yes, I left the full 20%. Math isn’t really that difficult, and it is (at least to me) sorta offensive that they feel the need to tell me how much to leave. But whatever, at least it wasn’t a forced gratuity charge.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #19
jrc

You are supposed to tip on the cost of the food or service. You don't tip on the tax, they didn't serve you tax.

That being said, for food I always double the last two digits and round up to the nearest dollar. I aim for 20% but I can't be bothered with coins on a pricey restaurant meal. Alone at a diner I would be more accurate.

Can we just stop pretending that tipping is optional? Unless your service was outright horrible, you're stealing from the service provider if you tip less than 15%. They earn crap in wages and this is their pay. You don't have to like this system but it is the system. You're not going to fix the system by screwing the lowest paid people in the system. If you don't want to tip, eat at McDonalds and cut your own hair.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (05-30-2014), winnisummergal (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #20
Oregonrain

Location: For now I live in Lebanon, OR, but this summer I'll be living somewhere in the Lakes Region

I guess I don't get out enough... I thought tips were supposed to be 10%. At least it was many years ago. When did it change? I like leaving big tips, I'm just curious when it changed from 10% to 20%.
Oregonrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #21
winnisummergal

Default A while ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonrain View Post
I guess I don't get out enough... I thought tips were supposed to be 10%. At least it was many years ago. When did it change? I like leaving big tips, I'm just curious when it changed from 10% to 20%.
I was being tipped on average 17percent while bartending back in the early 90's.
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #22
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonrain View Post
Around the time they stopped making nickels out of wood
Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #23
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
Ok Forum members tell me what you think about this. I purchased a gift certificate for my wife's birthday to a local day spa for the full treatment 3+ hours of pampering. What my issue was they included the 18% tip up front. Now I am not a cheap tipper I start at 20% and you work your way down or stay at 20% (the higher which is most times). But a tip is earned by your server not expected or just given, am I wrong here. I would have given my wife the extra money to give the person providing she was satisfied with what she got. So what do you think.
Not a day spa...but I like the idea....

restaurant in Newport, Kentucky is making national headlines putting a ‘no tipping’ policy in effect. Packhouse Meats‘ tipping ban may seem strange, but it’s way more awesome than you think.
The restaurant has ‘No Tipping’ signs posted throughout its facility, and when customers pay by credit card, there is no option to leave a tip on the order receipt. Bob Conway, the owner of Packhouse Meats, revealed in an interview that he’s been inundated with negative reviews on Yelp for what appears to be mistreatment of his servers. A closer look at the new policy reveals that it’s not awful–it’s awesome.
Here’s how it works: severs are paid $10 an hour OR 20% of their individual food sales during their shifts–whichever amount is higher. Anyone who has ever waited tables before knows how rad this policy is. It’s basically a guarantee that you’re going to make good money.
Let’s break it down: if you worked a 5 hour shift and brought in $500 in food sales (which is suuuuuuper easy to do at any busy restaurant; TRUST); if you earn 20% of that, you take home $100–that’s twice the amount you’d make at the rate of $10/hour.
I think Packhouse Meat’s ‘No Tipping’ policy is awesome because it works for the restaurant AND its servers; the servers are motivated to push food sales (which means more $$$ for the restaurant), and the restaurant takes care of its employees with a guarantee that they’ll make a decent wage (which means happy servers).
I also think the ‘No Tipping’ policy is awesome because it eliminates what I call the Jerk Factor. There are few things in life more infuriating than busting it to take care of a table who leaves a chump change tip. You hustle like crazy to make sure these people’s drinks stay refilled, their orders are delivered promptly and accurately, their every need is attended to–all with warmth and courtesy– and they repay you with a $5 tip on a $125 check. Thanks, party of six, you guys must all be greaaaaaat people.
Packhouse Meats has taken the Jerk Factor out of the equation and ensured that their servers get the pay the deserve. Their owner gets an A++ in my book, but what do you think? Is their policy a good idea?
Old 06-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #24
MeredithMan

Default A couple TIP points to consider....

I am a believer that, as a general rule, the tips should be based on quality of service provided. There are, however, a couple of things to consider:

1) Some establishments, (I've seen this printed on many restaurant menus, for example), will automatically include an 18% gratuity if the bill is over a certain amount. You can debate whether this is right or wrong, but it seems fairly prevalent.

2) An early post in this string referred to "tip jars being everywhere...even ice cream shops". Who mostly works in ice cream shops? HS and College kids. They can use the money. My 18 year old daughter has worked in a frozen yogurt shop for the last few years, earning money for her college bills, ($50K per year, all in). The employees there are paid LESS than minimum wage, as the assumption by the owner, (and this is a national chain), is that they will make up the difference in tips. I can't tell you how many times I have seen the little league team come in and the coach springs for $70 in Fro Yo, and then totally stiffs the kids working there, even though they were served by smiling 18 year old girls. Really? How can anyone be so **** cheap! And it's not just the teams, it's also Mr & Mrs Smythe-Smythe, who have the fancy car and dripping in diamonds that stiff the kids too.

My daughter's fro-yo work has given me a better appreciation for service workers, I must admit. They are paid peanuts. As long as they are not lazy and surly, give 'em a good tip!

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #25
blacksheep

I understand the 'huh?' about gratuity being included in spa services, but I offer this thought; typically when you book your appointment for spa treatments you are giving a credit card to hold your reservation, similar to a hotel reservation. Once you've received your treatment it is lovely to be able to unwind, dress, and leave with a simple thank you to the front desk - no awkward fiddling with cash, tracking down your therapist, etc. When I go to the spa I love that everything is just taken care of. Maybe that is the thought behind gratuity included?
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #26
ClosetExtrovert

Default What a fantastic husband!

And I agree with you. I've never had a tip added on a spa gift certificate. Strange.
ClosetExtrovert is offline   Reply With Quote