Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
jazzkitty

Thumbs up Pine Cone Cafe

One of our favorites is the Pine Cone Cafe on Route 109 in Melvin Village, on the left driving south towards Wolfeboro.

It's casual (but NOT dumpy) with good food at fair prices. The pizzas are terrific, as are the quesadillas, largely because of the crispness of their veggies and their great crusts. They have lots of sandwiches and salads that are suitable for dinner as well as lunch, notably their signature Melvin spinach salad for $8.99, with chicken added $10.99. The Melvin combines spinach, tomatoes, red onions, bacon and cranberries with chopped-up bleu cheese and balsamic vinaigrette dressing -- and we added the chicken because it was dinnertime. Yummy!

Their dinner entrees range from $12.99 to $19.99 but we haven't tried them yet. Judging by the high quality of what we have had there, though, I'd be surprised if they weren't really good as well.

The menu consists of the usual all-American fare -- steaks, seafood, chicken and ribs, various burgers, subs and wraps, and soups, salads, appetizers and desserts. There are many varieties of pizza, starting at $6.99 for an individual one, with plenty of toppings available.

They even have a full bar and a little gift shop -- and a few motel units in case you want to stay over for breakfast! What more could you ask for ??
jazzkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
Frdxplorer

I agree, a great little place.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Rag Top Daze

Default Menu?

Does anyone have a menu they can post for the Pine Cone Cafe? Or do you know of a web site with one online?

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
beaner

Thumbs up

We heartily agree! Excellent food, very reasonable prices and friendly service. I'm not a big meat eater, but I can't seem to resist their steak tips.

Some folks may recognize Jeri, the bartender, as one of the co-owners of the old J&G's Restaurant on Union Street in Wolfeboro. She is awesome.

Get there early if you plan to head over on the weekend. I found a web site, but didn't see a menu listed there:
http://www.newhampshirelodging.com/pineconecafe.html
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
Rag Top Daze (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
Lakegeezer

Default Go by boat, and a walk

Its about a mile from the Melvin Village ramp, where you can tie up your boat. Just enough to get you hungry. Agree with others. A nice place. Its part of a motel, but welcomes the public.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Looking Forward to Trying this Restaurant

If you go to ForumFest you might win the gift certificate that the Pine Cone Cafe has donated! I learned about this restaurant from the window guy at the Home Depot in Rochester. He called it a hidden gem on the east side of the lake.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Orion

Default Shhh

I always try to resist posting about my favorite places because I want to keep them all to myself! But we have been there several times in the last 8 months and always find the food to be great, the service attentive, and the place is very well kept and clean. It truly is a "hidden" gem and does seem to do a very good "locals" business, which is a good sign.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
luvmypups

Question hmm...

Well my parents LOVE the Pine Cone Cafe, I actually just got them a gift certificate for dinner there but I cant say I'm a big fan. It reminds me too much of Buckeye's food and not a big fan of Buckeye's either ( although the owners are very nice ). Pine Cone is okay in my book but I never go there unless I'm with everyone else that wants to go .
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmypups View Post
Well my parents LOVE the Pine Cone Cafe, I actually just got them a gift certificate for dinner there but I cant say I'm a big fan. It reminds me too much of Buckeye's food and not a big fan of Buckeye's either ( although the owners are very nice ). Pine Cone is okay in my book but I never go there unless I'm with everyone else that wants to go .
We are local and go to both Buckeys and Pine Cone and prefer Pine Cone. The only reason we keep going to Buckey's is for the fried clams for a visiting relative who swears by them.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
Tank151

Default Pine Cone Cafe is EXCELLENT!

Pine Cone Cafe is excellent! The Adams family (not Morticia and Cousin ITT) have a great restaurant that is truly a hidden "gem". Folks should try them out if you hadn't been there already?

Tank
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
Grant

Pine Cone rules!

Happy 4th!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
rrr

Thumbs up Sunday Brunch

I finally had a chance to try the Sunday Brunch at the Pine Cone. It was great! Menu includes: pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs, made to order omelets, bacon, sausage, home fries, beans, toast, fruit, biscuits... I'm sure I'm forgetting somethings. I had an omelet (which was big, very filling and very good) with some bacon, sausage, fruit and a biscuit - all were very good. They were constantly refilling the chafing dishes so everthing was freah and hot. I wanted to try a pancake because they looked so good - but I was too full so I stole a bite of someone else's - it too was delish.

The brunch is $10.99/person, Sunday's from 8-12. I hope they continue it through the winter. Give it a try, you'll certainly get your money's worth.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
eillac@dow

Tried the Pine Cone this weekend for the first time, upon my mother's urging. The place is low key, but nice. Many people at the bar (quite a few, it appeared by snowmobile). We got there early, around 4 and were the first party to arrive in the dining room. Shortly thereafter 3 more parties arrived. One was a young couple...maybe 25 yrs old, another was a family with 3 young kids and the other was a couple around 50 yrs old. So the place handles all ages.

Glad we checked it out. 5 of us in our party. We had Chicken Parm, Ribs and tips...which all were very good. No complaints. Got a couple orders of onion rings as an app, which were awesome. All of us were very pleased with our meals.

Our waitress was Jerry. She was awesome...great personality...and clearly must be loved by the customers.

It is worth checking out!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:45 AM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

My brother arrived today and he treated us to the Pine Cone Cafe in Melvin Village. I have been many times and have enjoyed it. This past evening the food and the service were very good, but there were a few problems. Four people in our party wanted scallops---well they only had one order. Since we were celebrating our mother's 90TH birthday she of course had the one order of scallops. The server then told us that the kitchen had run out of bake potatoes. Hey --I bought four bags of potatoes today. Maybe I should have brought them a bag. I was surprised about the food shortages as it was a Wednesday night and it's not summer yet. Overall these pitfalls were a bit disappointing, but I will still go back again.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Pine Cone

Sorry your visit was less than stellar because of the shortages. How busy was it there last night? Don't forget that it's bike week and lots of riders go around the lake, which hopefully meant a bump in business for them.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #16
Greene's Basin Girl

It was busy, but not crazy. There were a few bikers there, but not many.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #17
secondcurve

In general this is a very well run restaurant with an excellent staff.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
Grady223

We love the Pine Cone, fully agree with secondcurve.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #19
Greene's Basin Girl

NHEscape and I had barbecue ribs at the Pine Cone last night. The ribs were yummy yummy yummy!!!!!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
suem1011

Default possible reasons for shortages

Sometimes food shortages are due to a mistake in the vendor delivering or a change in the delivery schedule. I am sure that some establishments try to run to the store and stock any shorts in their delivery but depending on when it arrives or when the shorts are noticed, then it may be too late to run out. Understandably disappointing but sometimes unavoidable.
suem1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
Overlake97

Default Pine Cone by boat?

Is the Melvin Village Ramp that small dock next to Lake Rd. about 600 feet west of Melvin Village Marina (as shown on Google maps)?
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suem1011 View Post
Sometimes food shortages are due to a mistake in the vendor delivering or a change in the delivery schedule. I am sure that some establishments try to run to the store and stock any shorts in their delivery but depending on when it arrives or when the shorts are noticed, then it may be too late to run out. Understandably disappointing but sometimes unavoidable.
They have a store there now!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #23
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
Is the Melvin Village Ramp that small dock next to Lake Rd. about 600 feet west of Melvin Village Marina (as shown on Google maps)?
Yes. It is right next to the church.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KPW For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #24
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Shuttle service

Do the Pine Cone like Canoe in Center Harbor have shuttle service to/from the docks?