Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
jtrexel

Default looking ahead to July fishing

I will be staying on Three Mile Island at the Appalachian Mountain Camp in mid-July with my family. I will be bringing my 14' kayak outfitted very well for fishing, including a depthfinder and rod holders that allow me to troll at a modest speed for periods of time (up to 2 mph or so) as long as its calm or I'm going with the wind.

I'm an avid angler, but haven't fished Winnipesaukee before or anything like it. I've spent lots of time chasing smallmouth in flowing water in Pennsylvania and some in lakes. I've never fished for salmon or lake trout, but would love to catch my first.

I've read some and found a crude depth map on line, so I know fishing at daybreak in 15-25 feet or so with tubes and the like should get me some smallmouth on the rock bars or humps near Three Mile Island.

My questions are:

1) what is the best lake map to buy? I found three on line (Hotspots and 2 local companies that appear to compete)

2) Any further advice on the smallmouth? Are they too deep for topwater to be a worthwhile technique?

3) What are my chances with salmon or lake trout? Seems like a bucktail jig fished deep on a rock hump might have a shot at a laker? I could spool up with leadcore and troll also. Maybe not worth the try compared to the smallmouth?

4) Not asking for specific spots, but keep in mind I'll largely be limited to within a couple miles of 3 Mile Island.

Thanks!!!
jtrexel is offline   Reply With Quote