Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Rocky

Default Navigation Help on Bizer Chart?

Could some one tell me what is the differance between the green dotted lines on the Bizer chart and the lines with dots and dashes. Also could you explain how the markers or buoy's work, Red vs Black and companion buoy's.

Thanks!
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
JPC

Default Red is HOT, Black is COLD

The easiest way to remember which way to navigate around the colored markers is as follows:

The color red is HOT and the South West is HOT so navigate south or west of the Red markers. The color black is cold and the North East is COLD so navigate north or east of the black markers.

These markers are red top and white or black top on white.

In a channel there will be a solid red and a solid black marker opposite each other. As for the companion markers, each lighted marker has a companion marker. I believe the color code is the same as above.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:50 AM   #3
secondcurve

JPC:

Very clever. I always am double checking myself when approaching spar buoys. This will help.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
MJM

I've always used the name "Ben" to remember...Black East North
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Phantom

JPC --

Very true, and very much like the phrase I keep in my head to remeber Red top from Black top ---

HOWEVER !! There are a couple of curious exceptions, and the nav map becomes a handy dandy tool with it's dashed lines to show the proper passage.

One such buoy set up is out with Floating light #30 a black top (north of Little Mark) where when traveling from the general Bear Island (Easterly -> Westerly) side towards Jolly or vice versa you actually "split" between two black tops. Thats When Refering to the NAV map comes in handy.....

I know the black top buoys aren't exactly lined up and that depending on your "exact" compass heading you may get an accurate indication and I also know that the Northern black top (not with FL #30) indicates a rock patch with a mating red top -- but that took a while to figure out vs. just flying around with "the phrase in my head"

I know I have come across at least one other situaation like this but for the life of me can't remeber where ......

Last edited by Phantom; 10-11-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Ok,this is the way I remember.I use the first letter of all the involved words.north and east are at the begining of the alphabet along with BLACK.South and west are at later on in the alphabet along with RED.I know it sounds weird but it works for me.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Rocky

O.K. thanks guy's one more thing, what is the differance between the green dots and the passage's with dots and dashes? Are they both safe travel routes or just the ones with the dashes?
Old 10-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
kchace

The dots and dashes are the routes the Mt Washington takes. The green dashed lines are suggested routes through tricky areas.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #9
Island-Ho

The dashed lines suggest the recommended safe route through the area. The dash dot dot line is the route followed by the Mount Washington, also a safe route for you.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
Rocky

Thanks guy's
Old 10-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #11
Kamper

A few lighted bouys do not have companions. These are safe to pass on either side. They are blue on the cart and the suggested course apears to indicate that you should run them over, but dont.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #12
Island-Ho

Would anybody care to comment on the advisability of passing between FL #39 and Big Island (Pagus Bay), or FL #67 and Echo point (Alton Bay)? I think I've always kept on the side away from the shore at those points.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:28 AM   #13
jrc

Kamper, while a few lighted bouys don't have companions, I don't recall any that are safe to pass on all sides. Most lonely lighted bouys are pink on my chart. The only blue bouy indication on my chart seems to be the Gazebo in Alton Bay. Can you give me an example?

Island-Ho, the area between FL #39 and Big Island and FL #67 and Echo point are clearly labeled shallow on the chart. I've never checked the spots myself but I wouldn't boat there.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
Phantom

Island-Ho -- The Eastern (Margate) side of FL39 between the light and Big Isl can and probably will get you in trouble.

With that said, there is passage between Big Isl and Little Isl but you better line up the sticks REAL good!! I've been through there a number of times on our Jet-ski and to this day have not had the courage to run the boat through!!! Every once in a great while I see someone do it though.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #15
Misty Blue

Default You won't believe this one!

A few years ago I was cleaning up some business at a local (well known) marina and overheard a heated conversation.

It seems that a renter had taken out the stern drive of thier rental boat by hitting a rock. The rock won. The wife of the renter refused to take responsibility, or pay for the incident because the "dots" on the "map" given to them by the marina which clearly indicated the proper side of the bouy to go on were not out there on the water! The wife was steaming while the husband was looking for a rock to hide under! True story!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #16
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
Kamper, ... Most lonely lighted bouys are pink on my chart. ... Can you give me an example? ...
I'm sure you're right and they are pink. On some of these bouys the suggested course line apears to pass through the bouy. These are the ones which are safe on either side. I had thought they were all this way which is why they did not need companions. I believe this is in the key. I dont have ready access to a chart right now. I always have one close in the boat though.

The "blue" bouy in Alton, is that the Gazebo?
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #17
Island-Ho

Default Point Made

The two instances I named in my previous post are both shown on Bizer 4th edition as Blue "Lighted Buoy without companion Buoy". As jrc & Phantom point out, you would not be safe passing "on either side" of these lights. Maybe it's just so obvious from their position relative to shore that another marker is not required. I was never tempted to pass between these and the shore.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #18
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
.....the "dots" on the "map" given to them by the marina which clearly indicated the proper side of the bouy to go on were not out there on the water! ......
Too funny but sadly there are people like that.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #19
John A. Birdsall

Default Echo Point Light

Sometimes its good to slow down and investigate. Alton's Echo point used to have two bouys, a lighted one and if my miserable memory is correct a white one with black topping. You do not however want to go between the light and the shore. Their are some good size rocks their. It seems to me also that back in the 50's there were some trees growing in the lake on the point, more so than today.

We went from Echo Point to the Weirs saturday afternoon and back to the bay, it was beautiful out on the lake. Hope that it is that way again this weekend, at least for friday and saturday.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote