Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2023, 05:47 PM   #1
LakeSummerFun

Default Washing Machine Repair

My parents on E. Bear Island have a GE washing machine that doesn't work. Can anyone recommend someone who can come out to the island and fix it?
Thank you for any suggestions.
LakeSummerFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:42 PM   #2
TheTimeTraveler

Not sure how old their machine is but it could in fact end up being cheaper to just replace the broken machine with a new one.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
LakeSummerFun (06-16-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 06:31 AM   #3
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSummerFun View Post
My parents on E. Bear Island have a GE washing machine that doesn't work. Can anyone recommend someone who can come out to the island and fix it?
Thank you for any suggestions.
you could try contacting Andrew with Accurate Appliance...he's awesome and honest!
Old 06-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #4
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Not sure how old their machine is but it could in fact end up being cheaper to just replace the broken machine with a new one.
Having had washing machines repaired multiple times over decades.

Yes, it would be better just to get a new one.

$489.00 Best Buy
Amana top load washing machine.
LINK

Skip the foreign brands. Skip GE/Hotpoint - now owned by Chinese/Korea company.

If you plan to live/stay a very long time then get a Speed Queen - the traditional model.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2023, 10:18 AM   #5
DickR

Explain "doesn't work." Especially with older washing machines, the problem can be something very simple to fix, such as a worn, loose, or broken drive belt, or perhaps a failed water valve. It may be faster and far cheaper to fix as a DIY project, given the wealth of good advice available here on the forum.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2023, 11:47 AM   #6
ApS

Lightbulb One Easy Fix...

My late BIL, The Maytag Repairman, always replaced the two belts every season.

'Relatively easy task: Just tip the washer on its side and the task forward will be revealed.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 07:29 AM   #7
LakeSummerFun

Default Thank you Everyone!

I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions.

Happy Summer to All!
LakeSummerFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:09 AM   #8
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSummerFun View Post
I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions.
So, just what is the problem with the washer? We're all dying to micromanage the DIY repair via the forum, but we need details.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 10:59 AM   #9
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
So, just what is the problem with the washer? We're all dying to micromanage the DIY repair via the forum, but we need details.
Ya. The average Joe or Jane knows exactly how to change a drive belt. And knows exactly what tension the belt needs.

And has the tools and knowledge how to take apart a washing machine.
And can find a parts list for that model. Then find the part.
And if it is the control panel. Good luck with that one. Half the price of a new machine. And that may not be the entire problem.

Certainly, it can be done.
My propane gas furnace stopped working.
A simple Utube search came up with some solutions. And yes, one of them fixed problem. And furnace has been running fine for 8 more years.
Yes, some folks can fix things.
But the average Joe or Jane may not have the tools or access to parts. If the parts are even available now.

Short answer. Get a new machine.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:31 PM   #10
TheTimeTraveler

The biggest issue involved here is that the original poster is on an island, so you start out of the gate with all sorts of logistic issues just to get the repairman from the mainland to the island.

Once he reaches the island he then has to diagnose what is needed and then order the parts and schedule a second trip (assuming he is unable to make the repair "on the spot").

When you work all these things into the equation then it may in fact be cheaper to simply replace it rather than throwing money at a used machine which could be on its last legs anyways.

Labor costs aren't cheap, and two trips to an island location could very well justify a simple replacement to begin with.

In any event, if you do buy a new machine then be sure to purchase the extended warranty. Living on an island it will certainly pay for itself should you have future issues.

Best of luck!
Old 06-20-2023, 06:45 AM   #11
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
In any event, if you do buy a new machine then be sure to purchase the extended warranty. Living on an island it will certainly pay for itself should you have future issues.
Wonder how an extended warranty works on an island property.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 07:47 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Bad luck thread!

Well after 15 year of service our Kenmore washer broke today! Something grinding with the agitator. I lasted about 10 minutes with my repairman’s hat on and decided that after 15 years we are just going to simply replace it. Of course my wife then said we might as well replace the dryer too because it’s 15 years old as well!! So it looks like a call to Baron’s in the morning to see if they have any Speed Queens in stock….what’s the chance they will install it as well??

Island living at its best!!

Dan
Old 07-04-2023, 08:48 PM   #13
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Well after 15 year of service our Kenmore washer broke today! Something grinding with the agitator. I lasted about 10 minutes with my repairman’s hat on and decided that after 15 years we are just going to simply replace it. Of course my wife then said we might as well replace the dryer too because it’s 15 years old as well!! So it looks like a call to Baron’s in the morning to see if they have any Speed Queens in stock….what’s the chance they will install it as well??

Island living at its best!!

Dan
Here is their website that you can check out their stock offerings:

www.BaronsMajorBrands.com

Hopefully they have the machine and color you're looking for.....
Old 07-05-2023, 04:14 AM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Check with someone because a repairman who had recommended Speed Queen to me as the only one to buy said that they are not longer that much better -as they used to be. I think he said they were sold.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 05:36 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Check with someone because a repairman who had recommended Speed Queen to me as the only one to buy said that they are not longer that much better -as they used to be. I think he said they were sold.
Soooo, as part of my research when buying our washer a couple years ago, I discovered that Speed Queen was getting a bad rap for the newest series of their machines (TR models), which were designed for efficiency and to meet water use guidelines.

What they did, however, is bring back the "classic" TC5 with an "eco" mode that met the water guidelines while every other mode is what their original machine offered.

We have it, and it's awesome—huge loads done in 35 minutes! And, maybe because we replaced an older machine, we never noticed any water use difference (and use cold for everything).

So, Dan, if you're looking for the classically-built Speed Queen, you'll be looking for the TC5. It still uses a digital panel rather than analogue knobs, but the machine itself is the bulletproof one SQ built its reputation on.

https://speedqueen.com/speed-queens-...-your-laundry/

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 06:11 AM   #16
ishoot308

Default Tc-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Soooo, as part of my research when buying our washer a couple years ago, I discovered that Speed Queen was getting a bad rap for the newest series of their machines (TR models), which were designed for efficiency and to meet water use guidelines.

What they did, however, is bring back the "classic" TC5 with an "eco" mode that met the water guidelines while every other mode is what their original machine offered.

We have it, and it's awesome—huge loads done in 35 minutes! And, maybe because we replaced an older machine, we never noticed any water use difference (and use cold for everything).

So, Dan, if you're looking for the classically-built Speed Queen, you'll be looking for the TC5. It still uses a digital panel rather than analogue knobs, but the machine itself is the bulletproof one SQ built its reputation on.

Think,

The TC-5 is the one we are looking at and is in stock. It does use knobs and has no digital readout panel that I can see and that is what we want. Also has no locking cover which is another feature my wife wants.

Thanks!

Dan
Old 07-05-2023, 06:37 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:

Oh thanks so much for that, it's good to know. So if anybody does decide on the SQ we just need to be careful of the model. Yup, no surprise government regulations mess everything up. They think they are saving us from the world or the world from us and it ends up a bigger mess.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 06:58 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Think,

The TC-5 is the one we are looking at and is in stock. It does use knobs and has no digital readout panel that I can see and that is what we want. Also has no locking cover which is another feature my wife wants.

Thanks!

Dan
I probably should've been more clear about the panel: it has knobs to adjust cycles, etc. but they are digital and have electronic touch buttons for start, deep fill, etc. You can see the black buttons/press pads (middle) in this photo.

I would've loved a completely analog machine, but *sigh* it was not to be.

The machine is an animal, though. Enjoy!

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 08:39 AM   #19
ishoot308

Quote:
I probably should've been more clear about the panel: it has knobs to adjust cycles, etc. but they are digital and have electronic touch buttons for start, deep fill, etc. You can see the black buttons/press pads (middle) in this photo.

I would've loved a completely analog machine, but *sigh* it was not to be.

The machine is an animal, though. Enjoy!

Thanks Think!

That makes sense….

Just talked to Barons and we have new appliances being delivered to Glendale Docks on Saturday. They will not deliver or install on islands.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-05-2023 at 10:39 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote