Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Bear Island South

Default Hovercraft Accident

Any word of the person in the Hovercraft accident today? According to WMUR News, he was not wearing a life vest.

MOULTENBOROUGH, N.H. -- A hovercraft crashed on Lake Winnipesaukee around 4 p.m. Saturday, according to Moultonborough fire officials.

Witnesses reported one person in the water without a life jacket. 9-1-1 callers rushed to the closest landing area- Harilla Landing off Long Island. 9-1-1 callers found the victim near the landing and pulled him onto shore and started CPR, said Chief David Bengtson.

A Moultonborough police officer was the first emergency vehicle to arrive and used an AED on the unresponsive male victim, authorities said.

The man was rushed to Lakes Region General hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities are not releasing the name of the victim, who is believed to be a local resident, pending notification of family members.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/27492067/de...#ixzz1J5R0hvIp

Last edited by Bear Island South; 04-09-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added headline
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
Fiddlin'

I was wondering the same thing. Nothing in the Monitor yet. I fear that it may have been George Randall aka "Lake George".
Bruce
Fiddlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
Fiddlin'

It was indeed George Randall. http://lakewinnipesaukee.wordpress.c...by-hovercraft/

He will be sadly missed by many, myself included. The Strathspey and Reel Society of NH in particular will be devastated. He was fun-loving, highly intelligent, and as warm and caring a human being as can be found anywhere. He has a cat he calls "Pouzie", who he dotes on. I hope someone will be able to get out to Cow Island and rescue him.
Bruce
Old 04-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlin' View Post
It was indeed George Randall. http://lakewinnipesaukee.wordpress.c...by-hovercraft/

He will be sadly missed by many, myself included. The Strathspey and Reel Society of NH in particular will be devastated. He was fun-loving, highly intelligent, and as warm and caring a human being as can be found anywhere. He has a cat he calls "Pouzie", who he dotes on. I hope someone will be able to get out to Cow Island and rescue him.
Bruce
It was not George Randall. It was another friend of ours from cow island. He will be deeply missed. God bless
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Fiddlin'

Thanks. We are sorry for the loss of your friend. I didn't know anyone else would be out there this time of year.
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowisl View Post
It was not George Randall. It was another friend of ours from cow island. He will be deeply missed. God bless
When I first heard the news, George was the first person who came to mind. Sorry for the loss of your firiend. Our condolences go out to your friends family, we hate to hear about any accident that happens on the lake.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
ITD

Sad news, sorry for your loss. I'm wondering if the accident was caused by a medical problem rather than the accident causing the death. Either way, very sad.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
skprbob

Default NOT George

I was pleased to see that the correct information came through very quickly. Fearing that the victim was George on the strength of a three-year-old article about him is understandable, but then stating that as fact before checking it out is unconscionable, especially to as widespread an audience as this forum. Welcome to the rumor mill! At least the statement was retracted immediately.

The victim was a resident of the same island George lives on, and since the WMUR report did not give names, George was a logical assumption. George has been a close friend for 50 years, dating from days when we were both at Camp Idlewild in the 1960s. He called me last night to fill me in and indeed my phone has been ringing regularly this AM.

My heartfelt condolences to the victim and his family.
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skprbob For This Useful Post:
bigpatsfan (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Sandy Island fan

Default Worried

The conjecture that it was George caused significant concern in our household, as well. George has done so much for Sandy Island, and been a friend of my husband, Doug, for many years. Thankfully, he was able to reach George by phone this morning. I don't know that he was ever so happy to hear George's voice.
Our thoughts do go to the family of the man involved in the accident.

Last edited by Sandy Island fan; 04-10-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Sandy Island fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Island fan For This Useful Post:
SeventySeven (04-11-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Fiddlin'

My apologies. I realized my mistake several minutes later, and tried to edit, but by then it was too late.
Bruce
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fiddlin' For This Useful Post:
bigpatsfan (04-10-2011), eillac@dow (04-10-2011), RLW (04-10-2011), Sandy Island fan (04-10-2011), SteveA (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
martbri7

Default Update from WMUR

http://www.wmur.com/news/27492067/detail.html

So sad to hear
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

This is such a terrible tragedy. My condolences and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
NoBozo

I have NO Idea if this has anything to do with this Hovercraft event. How many Hovercraft are there on the lake?

Maybe three years ago (Late September) there was a Hovercraft in Wolfeboro at the town docks. It was small..the size of a Jet Ski. The vessel was in a Decrepit condition. The average observer would not have noticed anything unusual. Knowing something about how these things work.........I DID Notice.

When the guy got underway..he had a REAL Problem getting LIFT because the inflatable "Skirts" were Torn, Shredded, and Worn out..and could not contain the AIR Cushion..to LIFT the craft.

Eventually he got it up. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
This'nThat

From the Union Leader:
Chet Juszczak, 62, was pronounced dead at Lakes Region General Hospital, New Hampshire Marine Patrol said Sunday.
The apparent accident occurred about 4 p.m. near Harilla Landing in Moultonborough.
Residents living in the area called for help when they saw the capsized craft and Juszczak in the water about 90 feet off shore.
One witness tied a rope around himself and waded in to the water where he managed to pull the victim to shore.
No information on how experienced he was, whether he was a good swimmer, or the cause of death. But folks -- the water is cold. Some survival facts are shown below.

You don't have much time if you capsize. Especially in the current enviornment, where there are very few people around to notice what happens; nobody has any boats available; the MP aren't around; and no one can simply dive into the water to help out. Plus, the ice on the lake is tricky at this time of year. All these factors mean almost certain death if you fall into the water aways from shore -- even if you have a lifevest on. Be Safe!
Attached Images

This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
codeman671

It looks to be a serious wreck, there is not much left of the hovercraft. What happened? It looks like he caught it sideways getting on to the ice and rolled, but that is just a guess.

My condolensces to his family and friends. What an awful accident!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #16
KPW

Based on what I have heard, his hovercraft stalled. He tried to pull start it and the cord broke. (the broken pull start cord was with him when they got him to shore) He lost his balance and went overboard. He was stocking up supplies for the island.

Last edited by KPW; 04-11-2011 at 04:16 AM.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
From the Union Leader:

You don't have much time if you capsize. Especially in the current enviornment, where there are very few people around to notice what happens; nobody has any boats available; the MP aren't around; and no one can simply dive into the water to help out. Plus, the ice on the lake is tricky at this time of year. All these factors mean almost certain death if you fall into the water aways from shore -- even if you have a lifevest on. Be Safe!
This needs to be emphasized every year, because in many years the lakes region gets the spring season's first 80-degree air temps while the water temp is still in the 40s. When that first dose of summer air gets here people don't think about water temp. While yesterday's event was not such a case, (the air temps were not summerlike,) we are set up for similar tragedies because of human psychology after the long, snowy winter we just had: People will be excited to see the open water when the ice thaws. If we get an 80-degree day as soon as the ice goes out, all everyone will see is blue water in summer air, and they won't be thinking 'hypothermia danger.'

The same combination of summerlike air and cold water sometimes happens very late in the season, like October, but the human psychology is different then. In October everyone knows summer's over, and 'prepare for cold' is on their minds.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
KPW (04-10-2011), trfour (04-10-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
This needs to be emphasized every year, because in many years the lakes region gets the spring season's first 80-degree air temps while the water temp is still in the 40s. When that first dose of summer air gets here people don't think about water temp. While yesterday's event was not such a case, (the air temps were not summerlike,) we are set up for similar tragedies because of human psychology after the long, snowy winter we just had: People will be excited to see the open water when the ice thaws. If we get an 80-degree day as soon as the ice goes out, all everyone will see is blue water in summer air, and they won't be thinking 'hypothermia danger.'

The same combination of summerlike air and cold water sometimes happens very late in the season, like October, but the human psychology is different then. In October everyone knows summer's over, and 'prepare for cold' is on their minds.
THat is so true. I have seen so many people do stupid things when the ice first goes out. I wouldn't even go out there in a canoe or kayak until it warms up.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #19
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
Based on what I have heard, his hovercraft stalled. He tried to pull start it and the cord broke. (the broken pull start cord was with him when they got him to shore) He lost his balance and went overboard. He was stocking up supplies for the island.
Just curious, if this was the case why do the pictures online look like the hovercraft is in a million pieces?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #20
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Just curious, if this was the case why do the pictures online look like the hovercraft is in a million pieces?
I thought the same thing until I took a closer look and saw some before and after shots.

There are several pictures of the unit upside down with the skirts in disarray and most of the craft underwater. A lot of the "pieces" of debris appear to actually be the cargo it was carrying. A quick glance might imply the craft was destroyed in the accident.

However I have also seen several pictures of the craft after it was recovered and uprighted, and it appears to be completely intact in those.

Can be a bit confusing given the angle of the first shots taken right after the wreck.....

Tragic...my thoughts and prayers for the family & friends of the deceased.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #21
cowisl

Quote:
That seems to make sense to me. It would be very hard to flip it otherwise. May he RIP.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #22
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
THat is so true. I have seen so many people do stupid things when the ice first goes out. I wouldn't even go out there in a canoe or kayak until it warms up.
I am glad you wouldnt. Very easy to monday morning quarterback. Have some respect please.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #23
ishoot308

He had the proper craft to be on the lake during this time, this is why hovercrafts are made. This was an accident, nothing more nothing less.

May he rest in peace...
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #24
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
He had the proper craft to be on the lake during this time, this is why hovercrafts are made. This was an accident, nothing more nothing less.

May he rest in peace...
Couldnt agree more. he was a great man and will be missed
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #25
hazelnut

Quote:
I am glad you wouldnt. Very easy to monday morning quarterback. Have some respect please.
I do not think tis meant any disrespect and I do not think tis was referring to this incident as stupid. I know this tragedy is raw for some, cowisl this was someone that you knew. While I can't speak for tis, the way I read it, tis was referring to people that take chances in canoes and kayaks in AFTER ice-out. I do not believe this was a comment against people that Hovercraft.

This is pure and simple an accident. A very tragic accident.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (04-11-2011), Pineedles (04-11-2011), Rusty (04-11-2011), secondcurve (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #26
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I thought the same thing until I took a closer look and saw some before and after shots.

There are several pictures of the unit upside down with the skirts in disarray and most of the craft underwater. A lot of the "pieces" of debris appear to actually be the cargo it was carrying. A quick glance might imply the craft was destroyed in the accident.

However I have also seen several pictures of the craft after it was recovered and uprighted, and it appears to be completely intact in those.

Can be a bit confusing given the angle of the first shots taken right after the wreck.....

Tragic...my thoughts and prayers for the family & friends of the deceased.
It makes sense that the cargo would be everywhere which gives it a misleading appearance. What caused it to flip in this case?

No agenda here, just trying to put some sense to this tragic mess. Having looked into hovercrafts before I am curious. I haven't ruled one out for the future.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #27
Skip

Quote:
It makes sense that the cargo would be everywhere which gives it a misleading appearance. What caused it to flip in this case?

No agenda here, just trying to put some sense to this tragic mess. Having looked into hovercrafts before I am curious. I haven't ruled one out for the future.
An earlier post had indicated the craft had stalled and the operator was trying to restart it. I am not familiar with these units at all, but did notice that in the recovered photo I saw that it looked particularly small. If the unit had stalled over open water and the skirt deflated, how stable are these units on open water under these conditions?

Perhaps someone that is familiar with this particular model would know? It appears that something caused it to flip completely over at or near the water/ice line. I guess my question is do these units, which would appear to be top heavy if on water with a deflated skirt, have a tendency to be unstable given the conditions that day?
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #28
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
An earlier post had indicated the craft had stalled and the operator was trying to restart it. I am not familiar with these units at all, but did notice that in the recovered photo I saw that it looked particularly small. If the unit had stalled over open water and the skirt deflated, how stable are these units on open water under these conditions?

Perhaps someone that is familiar with this particular model would know? It appears that something caused it to flip completely over at or near the water/ice line. I guess my question is do these units, which would appear to be top heavy if on water with a deflated skirt, have a tendency to be unstable given the conditions that day?
They are not unstable depending on where you place the weight. They are not top heavy either.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #29
ishoot308

Quote:
They are not unstable depending on where you place the weight. They are not top heavy either.
Can you confirm what KPW said in post #16 about the accident?? Did it stall and was he trying to start it and lost his balance thereby falling in the water??...

Dan
Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
fatlazyless

Getting dumped from a boat into 36-degree water probably causes an automatic gag reflex and inhaling water that leads to a fast drowning.

Wading into 36-degree water from the shoreline, while wearing only a bathing suit and old sneakers or flip-flops, can readily be done.

Same human anatomy but with two very different endings.

Helpful hint: If you ever find yourself getting a quick dump into icy water, be sure to clamp your hand over your mouth and nose and tell yourself that you can get through this cold water challenge.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #31
NoBozo

There are usually TWO engines in a "Hovercraft". There may be variations of this mechanical arrangement from one model to another. One is the engine you can see on the back, which drives the hovercraft foreword with an aircraft-like propeller, similar to the typical Everglades type "airboat".

The other engine is the Lift engine and is not very visible unless you are onboard..or standing on a dock looking down at it. This engine also has a fan, which sucks air in from above, and inflates the "skirts" below, where the Lift Air escapes..in a controlled fashion from under the skirts. If the skirts are damaged, too much air escapes and lift is lost and the craft comes "off plane" pronto..

I havn't seen a good picture of the craft in this story. NB

EDIT: I just Googled "Personal Hovercraft" and found one with a single engine that provides both thrust AND lift.

http://www.neoterichovercraft.com/ge..._principle.htm
Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #32
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
There are usually TWO engines in a "Hovercraft". There may be variations of this mechanical arrangement from one model to another. One is the engine you can see on the back, which drives the hovercraft foreword with an aircraft-like propeller, similar to the typical Everglades type "airboat".

The other engine is the Lift engine and is not very visible unless you are onboard..or standing on a dock looking down at it. This engine also has a fan, which sucks air in from above, and inflates the "skirts" below, where the Lift Air escapes..in a controlled fashion from under the skirts. If the skirts are damaged, too much air escapes and lift is lost and the craft comes "off plane" pronto..

This one has one engine.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #33
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post

EDIT: I just Googled "Personal Hovercraft" and found one with a single engine that provides both thrust AND lift.

http://www.neoterichovercraft.com/ge..._principle.htm
As cowisl states above, a lot of the newer ones are single engine such as the Hovertechnics. Before I bought my airboat I was looking at the Hovertour 700. I think George Randall has a Hovertechnics.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #34
ITD

You know, maybe proper attire for one of these when over cold water is a wet suit under your jacket along with a life preserver. It's really tragic this poor man died like this.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
KPW (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #35
winniboy

Default hovercraft

the story is after leaving the landing following picking up a few things from the store. He left the mainland and got just across the open water before the hovercraft stalled. He got out to pull the engine over when the cord snapped. his backwards pull made him fall over and into the open water. He went to grab hold of the hovercraft to pull himself back up and it capsized over. (these are not very stable with the skirt inflated never mind with it deflated.) After being in the cold water he either suffered from shock or a heart attack (not sure if it has been determined yet...my guess is both). He will be missed
winniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winniboy For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #36
NoBozo

I have gone through the ice and gone in the water ..Totally..up to my neck, while Iceboating (Sail). I was wearing a "Snowmobile Suit" and Helmet. My initial response was ..OH..THIS is not good. The secondary response was involuntary..Shrinkage.

It is NOT that Bad. The mast was now laying over horizontal to the ice. I paddled and walked over the sail..like a trampoline..walked up the sail on to good ice and got out of the water. It was NOT that cold. My sailing companions were there pretty quick. .........What to do now...?

Retrieve the boat: The boat has to be Un-Rigged to get it out of the water. NO Problem: I went back into the water to pull the pins for the rigging so the mast could be removed and the boat hauled out onto the ice. It took only minutes.

Once the boat was retrieved, it was RE rigged on the ice... a companion loaned me a Dry snowmobile suit and I resumed sailing. I think I was around 28 or 29 years old..?? NB

YUP: I have been there and done that....
Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #37
Finder

Boy. You're a real hero!
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finder For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Goon (04-12-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #38
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniboy View Post
the story is after leaving the landing following picking up a few things from the store. He left the mainland and got just across the open water before the hovercraft stalled. He got out to pull the engine over when the cord snapped. his backwards pull made him fall over and into the open water. He went to grab hold of the hovercraft to pull himself back up and it capsized over. (these are not very stable with the skirt inflated never mind with it deflated.) After being in the cold water he either suffered from shock or a heart attack (not sure if it has been determined yet...my guess is both). He will be missed
That is my understanding as well. RIP
Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #39
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Can you confirm what KPW said in post #16 about the accident?? Did it stall and was he trying to start it and lost his balance thereby falling in the water??...

Dan
From what I was told from someone who spoke to him as he was loading his hovercraft before the accident, and was at the scene as he was brought to shore, He was loaded with supplies for a month at Cow. The hovercraft stalled just before the ice edge. When he tried to restart it, the pull cord broke. (The broken pull cord was underneath him when he was pulled to shore). He fell overboard. He tried to get back in the craft it flipped over with all the excess weight of supplies. It was scat hovercraft about 12 ft. long. Someone heard him yelling at himself, then the yells were more pleading. When the person got to the landing, the victim seemed already unresponsive. The 911 call was made and the person waded up to his chest and was able to grab the victim. According to this information, this is most likely what happened.

This person loved the island and lived there year round. He died tragically too early, but died loving his life on the island.

May Chet rest in peace.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KPW For This Useful Post:
Bear Island South (04-11-2011), Grady223 (04-13-2011), ishoot308 (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #40
trfour

Post Too Many Tragic Accidents Occur Each Year Here...

Due to the affects of cold water/hypothermia, when us humans get too, and careless of the responsibilities of getting to know what one would need, should they find themselves in an unfortunate, or any situation that got them into Cold waters, In The First Place.

Being among so many that have been out on this forum for many years and have posted safety videos and other comments about the hypothermia/factor and human survival safety and much more, however, and why, is it that as hard as we try, these accidents continue to sadden us all? We all need to pick us up now, and post more about safety in the conditions and traditions of Lake Winnipesaukee, Year around! Please add and help!
http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/c...eneral/8_5.php

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of a loved one.
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
beagle (04-13-2011)