Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
This'nThat

Default Your Ideal Dream Lakehouse

Some of us own a waterfront home. Some have year-round lakefront homes; some have seasonal. Some rent for a few weeks in the summer. Some have homes in the area, but not on the lake. Some of us are on an island. Some of us have lots of land; others a small lot. Some have new houses; some are decades old. But one thing seems common – everyone has an ideal vision for living on Winni, based upon our own experiences as a kid or as an adult or based upon stories from past generations.

If someone gave you the land, and would build you a house for free, what would be your dream lakehouse? Small? Large? Lots of McMansion goodies? Rustic? Secluded? Lots of neighbors? On the main road? On one of the many dirt back roads we have around the lake? Just wondering. Or, do you already have your dreamhouse, and wouldn’t change a thing?
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
nj2nh

I already have my dream home picked out. It is along Alton Bay, between the bay and Echo Point. It is a nice size with wrap-around porches on three sides (heaven!) and it is for sale, but it is out of my price range and in the wrong place. I would move it to the north side of Echo Point and plop it right where my parents have a house right now. Their house isn't my dream house, but it does the job. They have the most wonderful view on the entire lake, bar none.

I like having neighbors, but I also like lots of trees so we have lots of privacy. My husband likes to pull down all the shades here in Jersey because are neighbors are on top of us so it is like living in a cave. In NH, we wouldn't have to. A great house is nice, but I want light, water and sky.

nj2nh
Old 11-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Argie's Wife

My ideal lake home would be one that I could get to by car and live in year 'round. I'd want it to be no more than 2,000 sq. ft., with ample storage in the basement. Open concept, lots of windows for sunlight, fire place, perhaps geo-thermal heat, and energy efficient. I'd want several acres - with no neighbors close by (I have them of 5 sides of me now... nice folks but it's too close for my comfort.)

I don't want it on Winni, tho - too busy. I'd want it on Newfound Lake or further north. The less civilized, the better!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
KonaChick

My ideal lake house is one I don't have to pay taxes on!! Seriously, I love our property but would not have built such a big house if I had it to do over again.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
WinnDixie

Default 5 sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
My ideal lake home would be one that I could get to by car and live in year 'round. I'd want it to be no more than 2,000 sq. ft., with ample storage in the basement. Open concept, lots of windows for sunlight, fire place, perhaps geo-thermal heat, and energy efficient. I'd want several acres - with no neighbors close by (I have them of 5 sides of me now... nice folks but it's too close for my comfort.)

I don't want it on Winni, tho - too busy. I'd want it on Newfound Lake or further north. The less civilized, the better!
Well, AW...you knew someone was going to ask...describe your house!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Argie's Wife

Do you mean the one I'm in now?

If I could take the one I have now and plop it on a piece of waterfront land and have either a garage or good basement for storage, I'd be happy as a clam!

(The house I'm in now is actually in the Alton B&M Railroad Park 2008 Calendar, for the month of November. It's the house that's at 12 o'clock in the picture.)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default I love lake cottages

We currently have a water access house in Suissevale which we love but..... it's not on the lake.

We are saving until we can buy a nice lake cottage with a dock for mostly cash, build a nice 3 car garage behind it, with efficient 4 season house above. We will renovate the cottage to perfection, that is where our kids and guests will stay.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
Sunrise Point

Sunrise Point is my dream home. Rustic, one floor, big front porch and right on the water with 4+ acres of land and a tiny cottage for guests. What would I change? I would add insulation and heat and have a well installed.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
Just Sold

My dream home would be on an island. Rattlesnake, Cow, or a few others I know. Peace and tranquility in a small but very comfortable cottage is the ultimate dream. No McMansion.

But if I could be here year round on the lake it would be a much smaller version of the home I designed a few years ago. To bad the ex has that one. Maybe not, she has the big mortgage on it too.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

A very simple rustic log cabin.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #11
dpg

Sun drenched ocean front on white sand in the Caribbean. Does that count?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Island Life

My Lake Winni dream house would be an island cottage with a deep, wrap around porch set back a little more than 100 feet from the water with a water view on 3-sides to get a cooling breeze from the south-west side and a warm, quiet place to sit on the east side. It would be 2 stories with large windows and a couple of french doors. The first floor will have an open floor plan with a big round table for eating and card playing, a couple of comfy sofas and a woodstove. The kitchen should be a separate room on this floor. The second floor should have 3 or four simple bedrooms. Since this is my dream house, let's do the inside in beadboard and the outside in wood shingles. Believe it or not, my dream house would not have electricity (much more relaxing!) but, miraculously, it would have modern plumbing and a hot shower. Oh, a washer and dryer would be nice, too. Well, since I'm dreaming, let's add an outbuilding with a pool table and another woodstove and some more comfy sofas. I will have great neighbors who love to swing by for a beer and a game of pool, but their houses will be tucked away far enough so that I don't see them. That seems like enough for me; I'm happy.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
chipj29

4 walls and a roof, within 100 ft of the waterfront is pretty much all I would need. Just need a hammer, some nails and some of the wifes creativity to make it ideal.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Sun drenched ocean front on white sand in the Caribbean. Does that count?
Do you mean .... Cuba??
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #15
Rattlesnake Guy

Default A few thoughts

I would like a little switch that says "WINTER" "SUMMER". You open and close the camp with the flip of a switch. Open concept. Fire pit near the water with a wrap around deck. Flat enough to play catch with the boys. Sunny enough to keep you warm in the spring and fall. Shady enough to keep you outside in July. Sandy beach. Deep slip. Plenty of waves to see but none to hit your boat. No bugs. (We are spoiled on the island) No car access so we only have company when we want it or expect it and stay home most of the time. Yes car access when we need 20 two by 10s and a new refrigerator.

A separate bunk house for company better served by privacy. Lots of beds for those family reunions. A porch for playing cards and watching the lightning. A deck for playing cards and watching the stars.

A washer and drier and a maid to run them. An eat in kitchen and a chef to use it. Plenty of storage space near the boat for all the toys and someone to put everything back where it belongs A guy who my wife can't see who does all my projects.

A fireplace indoors for those chilly nights. A great view of mountains and lake. A bed on the porch where you can hear the waves during your afternoon nap. An outdoor shower for those fabulous mornings. An indoor shower for the others.

Some covered outdoor spaces when the lake is being refilled. A big pantry with plenty of options for guest.

Eight Adirondack chairs by the lake and the friends to enjoy it with.

A calender that replaces Monday with an extra Saturday.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #16
Dave R

My ideal place would be timber-framed in douglas fir and have stressed-skin walls and roof. The exterior would have absolutely no wood and it would have metal roofing. It would have < 2100 square feet, a mostly open concept first floor, a decent-sized master bedroom over looking the water, and flexible rooms for guest accomodations. There would have to be some sort of bunkhouse arrangement in the basement for kids. I'd make sure it had good views of the lake to the south and a hillside to build it into, to the north. I'd heat it with wood, geothermal (radiant floor) and passive+active solar. It would have a large screened-in porch (with sleeping arrangements) and a deck. There would have to be some sort of outdoor shower and a mud room option to pass through before entering the house from the lake side.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
Sunbeam lodge

Smile Dream House

My home would be on the water, or 60 feet back, all the granite rocks would be left where the glacier left them. No grass only pine needles. I would have a small lodge for the kids right on the water. The house would have a huge family room , all glass sliders on the front with cathedral ceilings. It would be four bedrooms, three baths with a pantry in the kitchen to hold food for the kids. A sandy beach with crystal clear water and
a permanent dock. A great 5 mile view straight un-interupted to 5 mile Island. It would also have a small Havernese dog that we love.
This would have been built as my retirement home and was in the middle of the woods with a dirt road. The Mc Mansions found the location and where the deer used to herd in the winter the Mc Mansins have taken over. The tax assessor also found my little piece of heaven.
You may have guessed by now that this is my real home. I looked at the lot in 1960 but it did not become available and affordable until 1974 .
It was called Sunbeam Lodge in a different Era and still is for good reason.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #18
NHKathy

Default Here's my vision:

A house on the small side would suit me just fine. (Not so small that you take 5 steps and you're out the other side; but definately smaller than many of the homes on the Lake now...) One floor is all I would want.
As gorgeous as some of the large Lake homes may be; I still like the smaller look the best. When out on the Lake and looking at all the different homes /camps - I always piont out the smaller homes, tucked in behind a few trees. I would want the siding color to blend in to the natural surroundings. I would never clear a lot for a better view (I love the Pines!)- taking out a tree or two is possible...
I would want the inside to be lodge-like (but not too dark -light toned wood would be nice) with a nice fireplace for those chilly nights! The decor would be pine forest designs.
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #19
19MileBaylover

Small cottage; knotty pine interior; facing south with the lake "right there"; private beach and dock; fireplace; nice porch facing the lake; quiet neighbors who also appreciate friendship; views of islands and the sound of loons, day or night; candlelight dinners.
19MileBaylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #20
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MileBaylover View Post
Small cottage; knotty pine interior; facing south with the lake "right there"; private beach and dock; fireplace; nice porch facing the lake; quiet neighbors who also appreciate friendship; views of islands and the sound of loons, day or night; candlelight dinners.
Don't forget to wish for a bottomless trust fund too
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

Seaplane Pilot's place is just right!