Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Pirate View Post
The fact that the "B" family will fight to the bloody end no matter what the impact is to the surrounding community speaks volumes about there charactor.

The area has been very good to them over the years.
I took the time to read the bankruptcy petition.
If you want to get an idea of the character of the family it makes good reading.
How can they have unfiled or unpaid FED income taxes and then verify and certify that the information is accurate and then say it is not right or forgot or made a mistake.
Take the time to read about the process and bankruptcy proceedings and you will get an inside view of the family, lawyers and system.
Great system.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunbeam lodge For This Useful Post:
Winnigirl (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
As did I.

Wow.

What a piece of ... work.

At one moment he tries to come off as a distracted, clueless, disinterested victim; the next he shows great understanding of his businesses and their complicated structure, together with an astounding display of selective memory.

An arrogant dissembler who seems to be playing 3 card monte with the bankruptcy trustee.

I thought that the examiner, Geraldine Karonis, representing the U.S. Trustee, performed an effective examination of Mr. Baldi.

I am still scratching my head over his comment that he decided to go to court and legally change his name to from "Steven" to "Lawrence" when he was in the fourth grade; I was reading comics and playing baseball in fourth grade, not having existential epiphanies and lawyering up.

The examination is supposed to be continued, to be resumed upon him providing info he "forgot" to provide; please provide a link to the upcoming examination on this thread when it becomes available: this is very interesting and informative and a great way to get a read on a person's true character.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
jtb9212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
If you want to get an idea of the character of the family it makes good reading.
How can they have unfiled or unpaid FED income taxes and then verify and certify that the information is accurate and then say it is not right or forgot or made a mistake.
Take the time to read about the process and bankruptcy proceedings and you will get an inside view of the family, lawyers and system.
Great system.
I worked for them during Bike Week a while back. What an eye opening experiance. The amount of cash that I saw change hands was incredible, stressing the word CASH.

Listening to some of the vendors who were renting asphalt from the Baldi's was pretty disturbing. One guy way paying $3000 per day for his spot. Look at the number of vendors they have around the Water Slide, Saloon, Drive In, and the alley way to the Drive In. Try to do a count of vendors and do the rough math on how much money gets pulled in by them, again, stressing the word cash.

Then read the bankruptcy document. These people are all about the cash, hiding around the rules, and working the system for all its worth. Again, what a crew of losers.
jtb9212 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
nhyitbos (05-14-2012), Winnigirl (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Resident 2B

I have also read the bankruptcy deposition, a public document.

UNBELIEVABLE!!

He was unsure what his legal name is or what his father's legal name is as they could be the same, no idea what he signed or when he signed it, falsified gross incomes, unfiled federal taxes, incomplete listing of trade names and he signed the document certifying that, under the pain of perjury, his statements were accurate and complete.

Holy cow! Still walking the streets???

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Sunset View (05-09-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
no-engine

FYI: he has passed, about a year ago.
Wife takes over the "assets".
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
jtb9212

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
FYI: he has passed, about a year ago.
Wife takes over the "assets".
Baldi Sr. I beleive died, but Baldi Jr. still alive and screwing the system....
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
no-engine

As I recall, yes, in his early 70's, and father in law to Saloon's land owner, Brandi, according to media stories.
All in the family. I would assume the drive-in owner is the widow, mother in law to Brindi.
Maybe, I'll do a search for the obit.

I think I'll drive by Thurston's to go in and ask about the petition. I'll sign, if OK as a non-Laconia voter; I am taxpayer and registered in town abutting Laconia.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
AC2717

No-Engine
Please let us know, I own property in Laconia but as a non resident/voter I would love to sign it
or what they should do is start a online petetion
Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
No-Engine
Please let us know, I own property in Laconia but as a non resident/voter I would love to sign it
or what they should do is start a online petetion
I had timing issues and never did find out if petition signors was required to be a Laconia voter. I reside/vote in neighboring town. I don't know where to find John Ganong.

I did call Thurston's Marina one day; lady said no Thurston was on the property, and she was not aware of details of the petition. Maybe I can stop today, Saturday 12th.

I hope making a comment, bumps this thread up.
If I were part of Busby Construction, I would never park equipment so near the building. Apparently the drive-in is open weekends, and certainly is not good public relations to movie attendees!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
Mr. V

You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?

A group of protesters picketing the property would be a unique, inexpensive and effective way of bringing this matter to a head.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
jtb9212

Default Drive in

Maybe the best way to petition to have the Wide Open torn down would be to boycott going to the Drive In, hurt them where thier heart is, the wallet. Hate to see a business go out of business, but wouldn't mind if its a Baldi owned business. The public has the voice and the power to make them wake up, although I doubt they would get it.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb9212 View Post
Maybe the best way to petition to have the Wide Open torn down would be to boycott going to the Drive In, hurt them where thier heart is, the wallet. Hate to see a business go out of business, but wouldn't mind if its a Baldi owned business. The public has the voice and the power to make them wake up, although I doubt they would get it.
Agreed! Personally, I have not gone to drive-in or theater downtown Laconia for many years. Also, I have not gone to the water slide, or recommended any.

I remember reading an inn/motel owner (not identified) on this thread posting that they plan to NOT recommend any of those businesses to their clients.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
Belmont Resident

Default Problem with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
Agreed! Personally, I have not gone to drive-in or theater downtown Laconia for many years. Also, I have not gone to the water slide, or recommended any.

I remember reading an inn/motel owner (not identified) on this thread posting that they plan to NOT recommend any of those businesses to their clients.
Although the drive in theater has become a run down neglected place that one would cringe to use the bathrooms at the options could be worse.
Imagine it as the sight of just another mega hotel, resort or even worse condo’s that instead of tying up traffic at night on the weekends creates more traffic and adds another eye sore to the lake.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
jtb9212

Default The Weirs in its older glory!

Click on the link and see what the Wide Open looked like when it was a hotel in its early days. What a beautiful majestic building. What a total shame to see it now and what is has become.

http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/...ctanhotel.html

The Weirs was such a beautiful destination and has so much history. It is such a shame to see it where it is today. Enjoy the link to the photos. It really makes me sad to see that area in the state it is in today.
Attached Images

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
dykg (05-13-2012), fishdc (08-19-2012), Just Sold (05-14-2012), moose tracks (05-13-2012), NoBozo (05-13-2012), Pontoon Goon (05-13-2012), RailroadJoe (05-13-2012), Resident 2B (05-13-2012), trfour (05-13-2012), Winnigirl (05-14-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
RailroadJoe

Not enough money coming in. So, out it goes.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
no-engine

Quote:
Click on the link and see what the Wide Open looked like when it was a hotel in its early days. What a beautiful majestic building. What a total shame to see it now and what is has become.

http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/...ctanhotel.html

The Weirs was such a beautiful destination and has so much history. It is such a shame to see it where it is today. Enjoy the link to the photos. It really makes me sad to see that area in the state it is in today.
Thanks for the link.

AND we could remember the Ho-Jo's next door...
Also the victim of fire, whose origin is undetermined... In 70's or 80's?
The Following User Says Thank You to no-engine For This Useful Post:
inquiring one (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
nhyitbos

Default Wide Open Saloon Petition to City Council tonight @7:30p.m. Live on local tv.

There was a great response to the petition signing. Yes, you don't have to be a resident because it is about "the community". The petition doesn't really need hundreds of names to make it's point. The city manager is all for this effort by Mr. Ganong. However, making it clear, Community encompasses those who pass by this burnt out eyesore on a daily basis. John Gagong will be presenting the petition, along with some residents, to the city council tonight at 7:30 p.m. The petition is to ENABLE the council to notify the state that "Time is of the Essence" for the residents and business owners in the Weirs. The legal problem is that the Supreme Court (there are multiple suits) has "dubbed" the suit by the city as "not detrimental to safety" and therefore has ranked its importance "low". The goal is to petition the court to "rank" it higher for a decision to allow the city to remove it. Rumor in the Weirs is that by June 15th there should be a decision. Unacceptable. That's the end of bike week and the beginning of tourism. Say what you will of the business owners and residents but they have been very quiet on this subject to allow the city, state and the owners (both title and lienholders) to work their way through the recovery of funds process. However, after almost two years this legal chess game is becoming too taxing upon the hotel/motels and cottages and affecting their livelyhoods of business income. The Lobster Pound has the most to loose from what I witness yesterday at brunch. The building is prominent from their dining room windows and it was the topic of discussion of some viewing patrons. Not sure they lived here so they didn't have the background of why it's still there. It is a known stat that the Weirs is over 35% of the city's income no matter how it is achieved. Bike week is a financial boom doggle for the businesses in Laconia also. The businesses that benefit the most are some that you wouldn't expect...Laconia Savings, TD Bank, Citizens, and Meredith Savings gives away thousands of dollars how? Collection of ATM fee's during bike week. Lowes, Ace Hardware, Trustworthy revenues rises from vendors needing construction supplies. Shaw's, Hannafords, Vista and Walmart for simple quick needs (coolers/prescriptions forgotten etc). Telephone company for vendor hook-ups, Amerigas and Rymes for hundreds of propane tanks and yes the City of Laconia stopped playing "fuzzy" math 9 years ago. In addition, many don't realize that the Weirs PO has extended hours during bike week (or used to) for tourists shipping leather home that they can't carry on their bike. Yes, time is of the essence to remove this building, tourism (not just bike week) season has arrived. I agree with one previous writer that I would rather be charged to the demolishing of this building for $400k (that's the estitmate) than $2.1M for the old prison or 1.5M for the Baldi's other property, the Colonial Theatre. The city likes to spend money except where they achieve the most money, the Weirs. just saying.
nhyitbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nhyitbos For This Useful Post:
crowsnest (05-14-2012), dykg (05-14-2012), kchadw (05-14-2012), Winnigirl (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
pelican

I agree with one previous writer that I would rather be charged to the demolishing of this building for $400k (that's the estitmate) than $2.1M for the old prison or 1.5M for the Baldi's other property, the Colonial Theatre. The city likes to spend money except where they achieve the most money, the Weirs.

But, without a valid court order to demolish the building we're all at a standstill. If the city were to bulldoze this property without the court's consent there's a good chance they'd have to pony up the funds to rebuild for the Baldis. So, $400k for the demo and then another million or more in damages - whoo wee. Do you really want the property re-built @ the city's expense?
And I respectfully disagree - ALL the properties in the Weirs are being hurt by this eyesore, not just the Lobster Pound.
And if my memory isn't completely shot - I don't think the city was ever going to buy the Baldi's downtown theatre.
And if I had the financial means, I'd love to buy the old prison property for $2.1 million - that's a steal - about $8,000 per acre. Beautiful views, prime farmland, great investment potential. Sell off the parts that aren't a hazard and use the funds to clean up the parts that are and you're left with a really nice piece of property.
pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
nhyitbos

Default Reply to Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
I agree with one previous writer that I would rather be charged to the demolishing of this building for $400k (that's the estitmate) than $2.1M for the old prison or 1.5M for the Baldi's other property, the Colonial Theatre. The city likes to spend money except where they achieve the most money, the Weirs.

But, without a valid court order to demolish the building we're all at a standstill. If the city were to bulldoze this property without the court's consent there's a good chance they'd have to pony up the funds to rebuild for the Baldis. So, $400k for the demo and then another million or more in damages - whoo wee. Do you really want the property re-built @ the city's expense?
And I respectfully disagree - ALL the properties in the Weirs are being hurt by this eyesore, not just the Lobster Pound.
And if my memory isn't completely shot - I don't think the city was ever going to buy the Baldi's downtown theatre.
And if I had the financial means, I'd love to buy the old prison property for $2.1 million - that's a steal - about $8,000 per acre. Beautiful views, prime farmland, great investment potential. Sell off the parts that aren't a hazard and use the funds to clean up the parts that are and you're left with a really nice piece of property.
The purpose of the petition is to expedite the court TO take down the building.. did you read the post? I never said that we should unilaterally demolish it. It's at a "standstill" because we haven't made an issue at the slowness of the courts. The courts ranking of the suit is the issue. Of course, a $1 turns to a million in value when seized. Second, the prison property for 2.1M would be off the tax rolls, therefore it would generate no property taxes. True, if you bought it then be on the tax rolls, so I hope an individual does purchase it and is able to sell it off in pieces. When has the city ever obtained a piece of property and sold it off in "pieces"? Excuse me, they have..the business park off of 106. However, has the initial investment of $400 ever been re-couped to date? No.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
jtb9212

Default Wide Open

Maybe the city should do the demo, pay the bill, put a lean on the property. They would end up with the property because the Baldi's would never pay the restitution on it. In turn to compensate the city back they should say thank you and take the Colonial Property as the compensation instead of paying the $800K for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtb9212 For This Useful Post:
nhyitbos (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
nhyitbos

Quote:
Maybe the city should do the demo, pay the bill, put a lean on the property. They would end up with the property because the Baldi's would never pay the restitution on it. In turn to compensate the city back they should say thank you and take the Colonial Property as the compensation instead of paying the $800K for it.
Now that's a plan...you know, it's the lienholder A.E. Mitchell that will have to figure out if he's going to continue with the Baldi's AND if they do want to rebuild eventually....they will have to negotiate the grandfather's clause to rebuild on the same footprint and for the same purpose. I don't think you and I will hold our breath for that one on both parts!

We are in agreement that this whole situation is unfortunate for the Weirs and we indeed are being held "hostage" until the matter is settled. The good news is the community is agreement...take it down. There's no evidence left and the fire dept would love the practice! Thanks for your input..it is valuable. Tonight, council meeting 7:30...you know you're invited to attend.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
no-engine

Sometimes City Council proceedings are broadcast live on cable.
Might anyone know if it will? But sometimes it's recorded and broadcast later.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Although the drive in theater has become a run down neglected place that one would cringe to use the bathrooms at the options could be worse.
Imagine it as the sight of just another mega hotel, resort or even worse condo’s that instead of tying up traffic at night on the weekends creates more traffic and adds another eye sore to the lake.
I can envision when state legislature OK casinos and Bruton Smith go ahead with his plan on a maga casino complex across from the speedway.

I'm willing to bet Canterbury will fight tooth and nail against the proposal. I would suggest Bruton buy out the Weirs and turn it into a mega casino complex. It is the only way we can really change the eye sore.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
Belmont Resident

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I can envision when state legislature OK casinos and Bruton Smith go ahead with his plan on a maga casino complex across from the speedway.

I'm willing to bet Canterbury will fight tooth and nail against the proposal. I would suggest Bruton buy out the Weirs and turn it into a mega casino complex. It is the only way we can really change the eye sore.
Everyone is talking about what an eye sore that one building is, but the truth is the whole Weirs is an eye sore. So, the run down drive in and burned out building fit right in.
The burned out building catches my eye less then the big ugly open parking area that gets used once a year for bike week, the clear cut area just up the hill and the boulevard itself is pretty run down.

Hey if they put a casino in it’s just another example of direction the area is going. And why it’s great for the visitors but once they move here and realize what it’s really like 7 days a week they become frustrated as well.
dykg (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
Woodsy

Personally.... I think the whole thing STINKS!

The Baldi's dont want it torn down but yet they dont take the initiative to rebuild it?? WHY? If it is truly a salvagable building, then rebuild it!

Its been well documented that the insurance co, Lloyd of London is refusing to pay. So we know there is a lawsuit looming there. We also know that there is a third party that has been granted interest in the lawsuit vs the city. Whats thier deal? hmmmm..

Once that building is torn down, the chances of collecting from Lloyd's goes from slim to ZERO... thats what this is all about.

I think the ownership/leasing/insurance of this property is all one big shell game....

Woodsy