Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Winni rowing regatta-Saturday

Last year the Winnipesaukee rowing regatta attracted 120 different rowing shells, from doubles to eight-seaters, with 387 women high school and college rowers according to the Union Leader. Taking place on Saturday-Sept 19, in Meredith Bay from 7am to 2pm, the race course is 2 1/2 miles long.

If you been personally thinking about getting into rowing to burn the fat but are amazed by the high prices of the sleek fiberglass shells then what works real good is an old 17' aluminum canoe set up with a slide-seat row-rig and two wood rows........oops....I mean oars. And guess what.....the used aluminum canoe and new slide-seat row-rig can be found for pretty cheap money. With its relatively high sides, low center of gravity, and central point of balance a canoe can safely negotiate a 2 1/2 to 3 foot high motorboat wake.......honest! Plus, there's always the regular bow and stern seats so there's room for two paddlers and one rower, or just one rower, plus Fido the Basset Hound, or whatever.

U-gotta regatta!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-15-2009 at 07:57 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Meredith Bay Regatta

September 19, 2009

Meredith Bay Regatta

7:00 am - 2:00 pm

A 2.5 mile Head Race on beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee in Meredith, New Hampshire ...continuing a tradition of rowing in the Lakes Region! Lake Winnipesaukee was the site of the first ever inter-collegiate crew regatta in the United States.
(Source of information - Mill Falls INNsider)
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
uglyduck

Does anyone know at what point in Meredith Bay does the Regatta begin? I assume that it will be No-wake Zone on Saturday in the Bay. Will they allow Boats in to view the Regatta?
uglyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Last year the Winnipesaukee rowing regatta attracted 120 different rowing shells, from singles to eight-seaters, with 387 women high school and college rowers according to the Union Leader. Taking place on Saturday-Sept 19, in Meredith Bay from 7am to 2pm, the race course is 2 1/2 miles long.
I stopped by to watch last year after leaving the forum fest at the Loon Society.Pretty impressive amount of boats and participants and a beautifull setting for this event.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
fatlazyless

As far as I know, all the rowers are women who come from public and private high schools and colleges in NH, ME, VT, MA, CT, RI, NY and places beyond. It is totally, 100%, a women's race.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
rick35

Default Very impressive

We ran into the regatta last year by accident. We headed off to Meredith by boat for a late breakfast and by the time we got to George's it was time for lunch. It was no-wake from Spindle Point all the way to the docks. It was a long ride! But it was an impressive sight.

ps. George's serves breakfast until 2 so I still had my big breakfast
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote