Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
joann721

Default Cleaning the rug in the boat

Hi,
We have a 2002 crownline that has the carpet attached to the floor (no snaps)... and its beige... and it is stained and wicked icky...

any suggestions on the best way to clean it or products that have worked for you.

Thanks

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Dave R

Is the boat in the water? That will really limit what you can do, since you cannot use ANY cleaners at all.

If it's away from the water, you could simply use car wash detergent and a scrub brush, then hose it out to rinse. If there's tough stains, move on to special carpet cleaners after exhausting mild detergent as an option. I use a pressure washer on my snap-in berber carpets. It does an awesome job. I also use it to clean the cockpit and bilge, on the trailer. You need to keep the nozzle pretty far from the surface you are cleaning though, pressure washers can be pretty destructive at close range.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Extractor

Heath Hardware in CH rents some rug machines that have the hoses and small attachments- I clean the truck and boat occasionally, it does a great job
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Heath Hardware in CH rents some rug machines that have the hoses and small attachments- I clean the truck and boat occasionally, it does a great job
i was going to suggest this as well, small rug machine with the hose attachment to get ito the hard to reach spots and because it vaccums up the cleaner it's not going to run off into the lake if that concerns you. I need to pull my snanp in rugs and do that to them when i do the cottage rugs in june.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
Phantom

In the past we had good success with using a liquid carpet cleaner, scrubbing the carpet and sidepanels with a stiff brush and then "power washing" the interior. Key tip is not to use a lot of cleaner -- you'll never be rid of the suds!! We found it better to re-apply to the really grungy area's than to use a lot of cleaner initially.

Since then, we've gone to the snap in carpets and will never go back. However, we use the same method with the snap in's. Only difference is we can get the carpets out and lay them in the driveway for cleaning.

This of course can't be done if your in the water already
Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
parrothead

Default Mild detergent and power washer

We have used a mild detergent a good stiff brush, some elbow grease, and a pressure washer if the boat isn't in the water. The cleaner we use is made by Korkay and is their Awning cleaner and black streak remover for RVs. It is a good all surface cleaner for the boat.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Windex

For spots on my toon carpet plain old windex works great even on grease stains! Not for the whole carpet however...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Wink Carpet cleaning

When I had carpets built into the boat. I use a commercial carpet cleaner and a pressure washer. The boat was in the driveway so I had the water drain into the bilge and out the bilge drain.

I have snap in carpet and it is great! I would go to the laundromat and wash them with laundry detergent in the commercial washer. Works great!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
fatlazyless

How about cleaning an all wool rug that's loaded with cat hair or cat dander yucky stuff? My old Starcraft aluminum utility boat came with an all wool rug, about 5 x 7', in the main salon. What's a product that can be do-it-myself sprayed into the rug and then vacuumed away? Something not too pricey like Woolite and something which really works on the yucky cat stuff without resorting to removing it to a rug cleaner biz ?