Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
CateP

Default Where to Get Small Bundles of Firewood

As many of you know I am over in Wolfeboro renting a place for the month of September. This week it's going to go down to 30 degrees at night and I am looking for a place over on the Wolfeboro side of the lake where I can get small bundles of firewood. The IGA sells them for $7 and it looks like you get 5-6 little logs for that price. Looking for a little more for a little less.

Aren't we all

Last edited by CateP; 09-13-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
fpartri497

right In Alton village by the cemetary there Is a guy selling firewood out of his front yard.

CateP (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Kamper

Go to Home Depot, or Lowes. You can get more wood than that as straps and studs, especially from the 'banana' pile. The problem is that it's pine and does not provide as much heat as hardwood. The straps you can probably break over your knee but I'd advise a small saw for the studs, and maybe a hatchet to split them after cutting.

This wood is great for ambience fires since it burns bright and with a good crackle. It is also cleaner and less likely to have bugs. It burns quickly and you will be able to go to bed sooner after you've had enough unless you have filled the fire-place.

Bear in mind, if you want all night comfort, you won't need to get up periodically to keep an electric blanket or beating pad warm!

Enjoy!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Argie's Wife

Also in Alton, head up Route 140, pass the Alton Central Fire Station, head up the hill - about 1/3 mile or so from the station - and look to your right - firewood for $2.50 a bundle. Good price and decent quantity for the money.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
CateP (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Go to Home Depot, or Lowes. You can get more wood than that as straps and studs, especially from the 'banana' pile. The problem is that it's pine and does not provide as much heat as hardwood. The straps you can probably break over your knee but I'd advise a small saw for the studs, and maybe a hatchet to split them after cutting.

This wood is great for ambience fires since it burns bright and with a good crackle. It is also cleaner and less likely to have bugs. It burns quickly and you will be able to go to bed sooner after you've had enough unless you have filled the fire-place.

Bear in mind, if you want all night comfort, you won't need to get up periodically to keep an electric blanket or beating pad warm!

Enjoy!
Kamper-You're a gem. This suggestion is indeed more for less... but it seems like a lot of time and work for firewood. I'm looking for those little bundles by the side of the road that folks sell.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
RLW

Smile

CateP, until at least mid October as it's way to soon for putting in a fire, more blankets will do the trick.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
As many of you know I am over in Wolfeboro renting a place for the month of September. This week it's going to go down to 30 degrees at night and I am looking for a place over on the Wolfeboro side of the lake where I can get small bundles of firewood. The IGA sells them for $7 and it looks like you get 5-6 little logs for that price. Looking for a little more for a little less.
Geesh...you really freaked this veggie gardener out! I just looked at weather.com's 10 day forecast for Wolfeboro and the coldnest night time temp is 41 degrees. I also would vote for blankets. Heck, the folks I bought cord wood from this year don't even deliver until "some time in September".
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
jmen24

Heat doesn't get switched on until late into October, early November, depends really. Time and work is what burning wood is all about, guess I have never heard otherwise. It is heavy, dirty, makes a mess, destroys fingernails and will result in at least one episode of cursing every once in a while when you smash your finger hard enough to see spots.

Nothing better than sitting on the couch reading in a hoodie and fleece pants with the slippers on, maybe even a hot chocolate. The only fires you see burning this time of year are at the outdoor firepit.

What part of Maine did you say you lived in?

Kamper, I laughed out loud when I read your post, "the banana pile" simply awesome. You get more bang for you buck if you pick up a few pieces of 2x10x20 rafter stock that looks like a twizzler. I have seen more than one person selling exactly this, split 2x stock for fire wood. Think about that, you buy a $40 dollars worth of junk wood and sell it for $5 for half an arm load. Good way to get some extra cash, FLL you listening.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
sa meredith

Default Really????

Over on the Meredith side of the lake, bundles are 2.50/3 bucks just about everywhere...can't drive a mile without seeing a couple of "firewood for sale" signs.
Can it really be that hard to find in the Wolfeboro area?
Just go chop a tree (waterfront, what the heck) split it, and burn it still green.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
CateP

Default Forecast

From Wunderground weather for Friday night:
Mostly clear. Areas of frost. Lows in the mid 30s.

I am just renting a place for September and have a fireplace that I would like to use on chilly nights and was looking for small bundles of wood. I am not asking about heating my home with wood or when I should turn the heat on.

Sheesh. I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't be asking questions on this forum anymore. Some of the replies are getting a bit terse.

But thanks to the people who offered help.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Greene's Basin Girl

Ask whatever questions you have. I am sure there are others out there that what to ask the same thing, but they don't---probably because they are afraid of the answers they might get. Who cares? Ask away. I was raised to always ask questions. If you are asking questions it means you want to learn something. How boring life would be if you didn't learn anything along the way.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-14-2011), Argie's Wife (09-14-2011), Janet (09-14-2011), Jmo77011 (09-14-2011), Jonas Pilot (09-14-2011), Lakepilot (09-14-2011), VitaBene (09-16-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Jmo77011

Personally, I will start a fire in the fireplace for any reason, any time of year! I think that they are nice and cozy, and the kids love it! I always see stands by the side of the road with camp wood for sale, but maybe you have a close neighbor who would give or sell you a small supply from their own woodpile. You shouldn't need a ton for the month. September is my favorite month in New Hampshire...enjoy!
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Go down 109 toward Moultonborough. There are a few places selling firewood bundles on the side of the road. One just after the Mirror lake split and another
way down past Melvin village there is a house renting 3 small cabins that has bundles out front as well. About a mile from the Colony Golf club. About 20 minutes from you. I'll scout out some on the way home and let ya know how much.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
CateP (09-14-2011), KPW (09-15-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #14
CateP

Default Found!!

A very helpful forum member PM'ed me about wood over at Bly Farm by Trites.
Perfect amount of wood for my stay and $15.

I didn't mean to sound like I can't take a little ribbing here and there, but perhaps the intention doesn't come across so well in writing. Now if we were all standing around a fire pit with nice cold beers in hand and I started to whine about how hard it is to chop wood. (which I wouldn't) then I could see the comments fly.

Fact is, I'm working about 9-hour days here during the week and I'm NOT on vacation...so I don't have time to drive the beautiful back roads in search of small firewood bundles.

Anyway, problem solved most swimmingly.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #15
Kamper

Glad you've found an appropriate supply.

Ignore the "Trolls." Sometimes they forget we all make adjustments within our life-style and abilities. Othertimes they are just being... Well, let tham make their own excuses for being rude.

Enjoy!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
Happy Gourmand

Default Heat..

I do it the old fashioned way...there is a do hickey thing a ma jiggy on the wall in the hallway....I press the red button and the house warms up. Used to do the wood thing, but I found this to be a lot cheaper in the long run...and a lot more convenient.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote