Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
jrc

Default Navionics HotMaps

I just got a new paper lake map. It's from Navionics and it's the paper version of their GPS map. There are a few things about it that are really cool, but a few things that will keep me going back to Bizer.

Good stuff:

The land around the lake and on the islands, looks like a satellite photograph. You can see roads, open areas, and large buildings.

The water depth is shown by shading. The color gets a deeper blue as the water get deeper. This very cool to look at. You can see deep channels, plateaus and underwater mountains. I'm sure fishermen will love it.

Subjective stuff:

The Map is at a different angle, North is almost straight up and the lake looks stretched north to south.

The map is split on two sides of the paper. The new Duncan is this way too.

Not so good:

Some of the markers are wrong. I found two the wrong color pretty quicky and I didn't do an exhaustive search.

The safe routes are not shown!! This is the killer. I look at the area between Governors, Timber and Lockes Island and see a sea of markers and no clear path through them. I know this area very well (The Witches) and I can't make heads or tails of it. A new boater could be overwelmed.

Does anyone have the Navionics chip for Winni in their GPS? Does it show safe routes?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Kamper

It sounds like the original Bizer C-MAP chip. I had it in my Standard Horizon chart plotter. Everything was fixed in the first revison though.

Arent C-MAP and Navionics divisions of the same company? I hope they didnt just rip Bizer off. I'm sure if they had bought the data Bizer would have sold them the current edition!

Last edited by Kamper; 12-19-2007 at 06:39 PM. Reason: details
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote