Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
SOB

Default Pontoon Boat

Hi All, I am looking to buy a Pontoon boat down the road. My main purpose of use would be to just have some friends out on the water, listen to some tunes and relax. Speed isnt a concern really.Any suggestions on brands, dealers in the area, etc?

Any info would be useful on the topic.

Thanks!
SOB
SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Pontoon Purchase

What amount of $$$ do you want to spend. That will really dictate most of what you can expect the boat to have. I own a pretty big pontoon boat. It's a Harris Kayot 27'+ with a 200HP Tri toon that's pretty loaded. Seats 18. Has toilet, sink, microwave, vacumn, small pump/compressor, blender, nice stereo, refrigerator & more. It was not cheap!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

If you just want to putt around with 8 or 10 friends....I'd just look for a good used 20' to 24'.Since pontoons last almost forever,the key is a nice outboard.50 to 100 hp should do it for your needs .....low hours would be nice.Lots of deals around after the season.Bet you can find a nice clean boat for well under 10 k. Old Hubbards tri-toon is the Ferrari of pontoon boats....fast and beautiful....but get ready to lay down 40 or 50 big ones. Good luck.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
SOB

Yeah I am thinking between 10 - 20K, just something to maybe get 8 friends out there and cruise around, Ive had a jetski for 8 yrs, and my friend has a 21 ft speed boat up on the lake. The thing is, most of the time we end up anchoring out and just BS'ing all day with our friends. So I figured a Pontoon boat would be the way to go.

I dont need the cream of the crop, plenty of comfortable seats, good sound system, and maybe something with a enclosed cover over some portion of the boat. WHo are the big dealers up here? I know Channel advertises Bennington, which is rated well from what I read.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Old Hubbard Rd

Default SAMIAM is Right

SAMIAM is Right!! Get something with a decent engine. The biggest bummer about pontoon boats is the lack of a enclosure in inclement weather. The season would and could be longer if you had a clear plastic surround to enclose the entire seating area therefore creating a room. That would be really nice but expensive!! Also consider a nice used local boat. Bennington is a really nice boat. Irwin or Channel Marine may sell those. Harris Kayot were sold over at Thurstons although I think they no longer sell them because of some conflict about the engine manufactor or something. Good Luck!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
Ropetow

Default small barge

I met a guy this summer who has an 18-foot (or maybe it was 20) Sun Tracker barge with just a 25 hp outboard on it. I made a not-too-politically correct comment about it being underpowered, and he went on and on how it was fine for his needs...which were fishing and anchoring with family and friends. I saw the barge in motion a few times and it seemed to move along alright. I sure wouldn't take it out into The Broads, but he says their longest trip is from home in Wolfeboro to West Alton. The barge didn't have all the bells-and-whistles but it seemed to be a good swim platform. Anyone have any experience with that small a barge with that small an engine?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
codeman671

I have done the whole small pontoon, small motor thing and it is no fun. Being on an island when I want to get somewhere in a hurry the 20' with a 50hp just did not do it. We went to a 2007 Manitou Oasis SHP with a 225 optimax. With the 373 hull design (center tube 27" and outers 23") it turns, rides and handles much more like a regular boat but will still do 48+mph. I believe this is a patented design that Manitou uses. It is hilarious to have a boat come speeding up behind you and watch the look on their faces when you nail it and leave them sitting there. Ours is for sale now, if it sells I will probably go to a 26' with a 275 Verado and the new wakeboard tower package.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
camp guy

Default Pontoon boat

All of the previous posts offer good advice, but I would just throw in a suggestion that you rent one for a day or two to see if you really like it. If you are a boater now, and have not had experience with a pontoon-style boat, you will notice a difference, particularly in the handling in the wind and waves. Pontoon boats present a lot of sail area which must be factored into your handling. Good Luck, pontoon boats can be a real blast.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #9
SOB

All good info everyone, especially the rental part. One question, you mention handling, which I understand what you are saying. What is the comfort of the ride like? Lets say in comparision to a 21 foot cuddy cabin speed boat. Just curious...
Old 10-08-2007, 06:17 AM   #10
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Also depends on where you'll use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB
Hi All, I am looking to buy a Pontoon boat down the road. My main purpose of use would be to just have some friends out on the water, listen to some tunes and relax. Speed isnt a concern really.Any suggestions on brands, dealers in the area, etc?

Any info would be useful on the topic.

Thanks!
SOB
We have a 22 ft. Smoker Craft... 50hp . We love it, BUT, it's not great on the Broads on a busy weekend. We have to cross the Broards no matter where we want to go. So we don't use it often when the lake is crowded or the NW wind is up.

Really dosen't present us a problem, because we live here full time, and it's easy for us to pick and choose our times for boat trips. If your a "weekender" and still want a toon... the tri hull, bigger boat and bigger powerhouse make the most sense.

The plusses IMHO for toons are, easy maintaince, low gas usage, room for lot's of friends and a nice platform for "just sittin"

I've seen Codeman's Tri Hull (or one just like it) go flying by a number of times.. ( picture a Green w/ Envy emoticon here ). To me that would be the best of both worlds solution.

We bought ours new from Dave's Motor Boat Shoppe in Gilford. He also does our storage and annual maint. Very happy with them.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #11
camp guy

Default Pontoon boat

A pontoon boat and a 21 ft cuddy speed boat cannot be compared "apples to apples" - two completely different boating mindsets. If you are only to have one boat, and time is a premium, and certain 'creature comforts' are important, and you need to be able to boat in most weather, then I'd suggest the 21 ft cuddy. Look around, talk to fellow boaters at local Town docks - talk to both the husbands and the wives (two different points of view, and remember, "If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.")
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #12
Just Sold

I have to agree with everyone that the pontoon boats are a blast and bigger is better for Winni.

My suggestion is to also look at cuddy cabins but at least 22' to 24' with a high freeboard. Most 20' & 21' cuddy's do not have a high freeboard. These offer plenty of room for passengers and gear as well as what I consider the best safety for those rough days on the lake. Just ask McDude about our ride in 2006 across the broads.

PM me if you would like the name/number of someone who is considering selling a clean 22' Sea Ray with trailer up at Lake Sunapee.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
SOB

No I understand you couldnt compare the two types of boats. I was just curious what the ride was like in the pontoon. I'm sure its a tradeoff, you have room for 8+ people, as opposed to 4 in a cuddy cabin. All good info everyone, thanks for your time.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #14
KBoater

Default pontoons

Although you can not compare Florida boating to Winni, I have some experience with pontoon boats. In you can not insure a pontoon boat if you go on the Gulf. There have been several cases of splitting apart or swamping in high seas.
In my area, most of the rental boats are pontoons. There is little instruction so you see them often stranded on a sand bar. Since they are low powered the renter believes he doesn’t make a wake (Wrong). This is our version of Captain Bonehead.
There are very large pontoons that are used for sightseeing and the licensed captains do know what they’re about.
My first boat in Florida was a cross between a pontoon and a bow rider. It qualified as a boat but I found the steering and handling difficult. Next boat was a true deck boat and then a fish boat. As you get use to the boating you want to go farther so the boats get bigger. I have just traded down to a smaller fish boat so the jury it out until next week when I can give it a good test
Old 10-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
jceria

Default 18' 25HP 4-stroke

I have a 2005 18' Starcraft pontoon boat w/ 25 hp Mercury Bigfoot 4-stroke!
We love it! 2 people aboard.... 12.5 MPH WOT. 4 people.... 10 MPH,
6+ about 7 MPH.

Boat, motor and trailer w gas grill, windshield, CD player, ladder, and removeable table. $13,000 at boat show.

One important thing with a pontoon boat.... BALANCE! IF you plan on having more than 4 people aboard, I would go with a bigger pontoon boat.
My boat has the battery, gas tank and motor on brackets outboard (aft)
I gives me lot's more storage however, it puts a lot of weight aft! Pontoon diameter is important here too!

Shop around,,, if you can wait till February and go to the boat shows, that's the best deal and you can also get some ideas on what you want!

I've been out in the Broads many times with no problem!

Oh yea.... a potty is a necessity!!!!

Jeff
Old 10-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

WE are in a no wake zone and boats often cruise close to the shore for sightseeing.Every now and then a smaller pontoon goes by that seems very overloaded.We've seen them plowing with the outdrive almost out of the water due to everyone sitting in the front.Also,the reverse when all are in the rear seating.We even saw one recently that looked like it was going over due to 7 adults all crowding the port side.The pontoon on that side was totally under water....yikes.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #17
John A. Birdsall

Default pontoon boat

My dad bought a 24' Pincraft pontoon boat in 1984 with a year old 75 hp merc which both my son and nephew at about 19 and at the same time waterskied behind. One of the things dad was glad about was that he bought it with 24" logs on it, He thinks that the smaller ones would not handle the lake as well. He is still using this and we all enjoy it. But I will say that on a couple of trips we were putting it away it was rainy and cold.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote