Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-09-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
rgilfert

Default Stupid Question ... but I'zze Gotsta ask anyway

Having read MAXUM's forum thread last week titled "Think about clearing snow off your roof" I got a little scared and as result spent virtually the entire weekend clearing the 24" of snow off of our roof here in Bedford (unfortunately I can't get out to Rattlesnake to do the same thing there). As I was repetitively moving the snow to the roof's edge I was amazed at the shear weight that a 24" column of snow has!! As of this morning, literally tons of weight have been removed and I feel much better prepared for the additional 12" that is falling as I speak (thanks, Maxum)!

OK, so I was lying in bed early this morning thinking about what a good doobie I had been for clearing my roof and one thought lead to another and suddenly I found myself thinking about the frozen lake, the size of the Broads and the weight of the fallen snow and the following question came to mind: over the enormous expanse of the Broads why doesn't the weight of the ice plus the weight of the snow cause the ice to cave in?? I know that this sounds stupid (and I'm sure that it is) .... but I'm being serious....it seems, to me, that it would.
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
secondcurve

The snow is spread out very widely on the ice so everything is in balance. Two feet of snow and two feet of ice. No big deal. Your roof works the same way. Ask yourself how many roof collapses have you seen over the years? I know I have never seen one. As someone noted in an earlier thread there are many times more people getting injured from falling off roofs then from roofs falling on folks.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Maybe

Who don't the ice cubes in your evening cocktail sink?

The ice has more air entrained and is less dense than the water it sits on. Because it is lighter it will stay on top.

That is my unscientific explaination. Others, with more education on these matters, may have a better way to answer your question. They might even tell me that I am wrong!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default your house is open space with tons of weight over it.

Your house is just a frame surrounding airspace. Snow loads are computed to give guidance as to how much weight a roof and supporting structure can support. When the weight of snow and ice exceed a structure's weight bearing capability, the result is the collapse of the structure into the airspace.

The lake, on the other hand, has ice forming over a solid (water), and the added snow on the ice has nothing to fall into like the airspace of a house.

Perhaps, if the lake were to be drawn down to create space under the ice, you would see the ice and snow collapse down to new lake water surface.

Ok, back to my 603 Winni Ale, as I dream of being back on Winni in the boat.

Last edited by upthesaukee; 02-09-2015 at 10:08 AM.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default 5 Days ago in Nashua

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
The snow is spread out very widely on the ice so everything is in balance. Two feet of snow and two feet of ice. No big deal. Your roof works the same way. Ask yourself how many roof collapses have you seen over the years? I know I have never seen one. As someone noted in an earlier thread there are many times more people getting injured from falling off roofs then from roofs falling on folks.
Probably fewer collapses from peaked roof structures than from flat roof structures, but certainly roofs collapse from the weight of snow and ice.

Here is an article about an apartment building in Nashua that had a roof collapse last week: http://www.newhampshire.com/article/.../0/AGGREGATION

Also, a Walmart closed recently until they cleared off the roof of ice and snow because they feared a collapse.

Also from the Concord Monitor last year regarding a pitched roof in Henniker: http://www.concordmonitor.com/news/1...dents-unharmed

Garages and carports are also likely victims. I don't think we hear about many of them, unless it involves a commercial building or an apartment house, or something really big like that.

Last edited by upthesaukee; 02-09-2015 at 08:25 AM. Reason: add article
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
Webbsatwinni

Rgilfert,

I was out on the island this past weekend and had the same concern, surprisingly there snow on the roof surfaces wasn't that bad. I am sure it will grow with the new snow but the base wasn't bad at all.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
jetlag100

Default Weight of snow on ice

You made me remember a time when my Dad had the guys he worked with (Raytheon) figure a thought he had about the lake....he would have had an answer for you, but, he's been long gone from this earth..wish I could tell you the story, but it would be considered disgusting, by some! LOL Ah, the memories
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
Misha888

Default NO Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
Rgilfert,

I was out on the island this past weekend and had the same concern, surprisingly there snow on the roof surfaces wasn't that bad. I am sure it will grow with the new snow but the base wasn't bad at all.
We are again getting hosed in the snow department here in the lakes region.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
TheProfessor

A lake neighbor.
He purchased a lot on other side of road - not on lake.
He had a 3 door garage built.
I viewed the construction of such.

After the pad - a tractor trailer came in - with all walls and such.
Garage went up in one day.

Apparently he saved money by purchasing a pre-built or factory built garage.

Lasted a good 10 years.

Then one snow storm - during the winter of snow storms - the garage completely collapsed.

He had the garage rebuilt to exact same. Except this time he had constructed a stick built garage. And that one is still standing.

The garage has never been heated.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
Greene's Basin Girl

We got tired of shoveling our roof so we changed it to a metal roof. We do not have to shovel anymore, but when the temperature rises the snow falls and it piles up quickly on our deck below. We also have to be careful to not be anywhere under the roof if there is snow that is falling off the roof. Sometimes when the snow falls it sounds like an earthquake when it hits the deck. That being said though, we are glad that we put on a metal roof. I use to worry about my husband falling off the roof when he was up there. Now there aren't any worries.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
jetlag100

Default Metal Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
We got tired of shoveling our roof so we changed it to a metal roof. We do not have to shovel anymore, but when the temperature rises the snow falls and it piles up quickly on our deck below. We also have to be careful to not be anywhere under the roof if there is snow that is falling off the roof. Sometimes when the snow falls it sounds like an earthquake when it hits the deck. That being said though, we are glad that we put on a metal roof. I use to worry about my husband falling off the roof when he was up there. Now there aren't any worries.
I also have a metal roof. I totally understand the "earthquake"! Company freaks out if they happen to be up when the snows slides...LOL Love not having to worry about anyone going up there to shovel, too!
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I don't get up on my roof to clear it off, instead I have a roof rake with a 21' extension on it to clear it off. In fact it's not so much about getting every flake of snow off the roof, more or less to reduce the overall load especially if your roof is prone to having large drifts form which can pile up many feet deep, or build ice dams along the edges.

Metal roofing is the bomb. That is on my list of things to do in the coming years.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote