Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Unhappy Gulbicki's at Weirs up in flames

A well known fixture, Gulbicki's Garage and Towing (and gas station some years back) just around the corner from the Weirs Beach sign has burned down and the building condemned..

The story says that they will rebuild. Their location is next door to Waldo Peppers.

From the Laconia Citizen Fire damages Weirs business.

Nice to see their dedication keeping a local business at that location.
Also, thanks to the usually unsung heros, the firemen (and women).

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.

Last edited by Skipper of the Sea Que; 03-12-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: fix link
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Silver Duck

Default Yikes.....

isn't that right next door to Waldo Peppers? Can somebody reassure me that Pepper's business wasn't damaged?

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
scubajay1153

Default Waldo's safe...

....no damage at all to Waldo's. The fire was confined to the ceiling, attic and office/bathroom areas inside the structure at Gulbicki's. Such a shame to see a hard working group of people lose a building but if Chuck and company attack the situation with the tenacity that he uses for community involvement and fundraising for various charities they should be back in a new place soon.
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
texas chopper

Looks like they were getting ready to knock Chuckies garage down this morning. A backhoe, dumpster and crew looked like they were ready to get to work at 8:30 this morning. I hope he can rebuild as his garage is an asset to the local community.
texas chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Kamper

Kudos to the Laconia Fire Department.

"At about 4:35 a.m., just up the street at the Weirs Station, Fire Lt. Chris Shipp detected the distinct smell of a building burning and reported it, said Fire Chief Ken Erickson. Shipp and the Weirs crew went looking for the source of the smoke and immediately came upon Gulbicki's."

If the team hadnt been so alert, the fire could have spread before it was detected. As it is, it's a setback for a small business but they are going to recover.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Weirs guy

Slept right through the hole ordeal and didn't see the building till last night. Thats the second fire next door to Peppers in about a years time.

Gulbickis doesn't look "burned down" per say (I didn't get out and walk around it either), I wonder if they are tearing it all the way down? Between this and Brookside it looks like a bomb went off around here, dumpsters full of building debris everywhere, but I'm sure both businesses will be back up and running in not time.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
WeirsBeachBoater

Its gutted on the inside. Condemned by the city as unsafe. I am told that it will be torn down early next week. Lots of memories in that old garage!
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
scubajay1153

Default Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

The crew at the Weirs was notified by our tone alert system by LRMFA dispatch to respond to the area of Rt 3 and Rt 11b for a large amount of smoke in the area as reported by a passerby. When the crew opened the station doors to respond they saw heavy smoke pushing out of Chuck's building and struck a first alarm. Thanks for the kudos in any event but sometimes *gasp* the paper misquotes, misunderstands or simply gets it wrong or they simply have been watching the movie "Roxanne" to much....
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
Handyman

Default Handyman

I agree the local paper often gets facts wrong. The Laconia Citizen is a terrible paper. Almost every article has spelling, grammar or factual errors. Last week the police report section mentioned a three year old and a one year old with alcohol problems. The Citizen represents journalism at its worst.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
Silver Duck

scubajay

Take the kudos, anyway. I'm absolutely certain that you guys have done countless things worthy of kudos that only the folks whose lives and/or homes you've saved know aout.

And, while you're at it, please accept one civilian's sincere thanks for all you do, and pass them along to the rest of the department!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
Weirs guy

I was wondering why someone was up at the Weirs station at 4:30 in the morning. But in all seriousness scubajay, you still get the kudos with everyone else for your prompt response. That small of a building that close to a lot of other things could have ended much worse for a lot of people had it been me asked to do something at 4:30 in the morning!

Now?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
Weirs guy

FYI Gulbicki's was torn down yesterday.

Now?