Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
Hermit Cover

Default Cell Phone Service

We're about to renew our cellular contract on phones and would appreciate comments regarding member's cell service (performance) on the lake and around the area. Thanks ... We're currently using Verizon Wireless.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
Cruiser

Default Perenial question

This seems to be a perenial question on this forum. From my personal experience and the general concensus on this forum from previous years I believe that Verizon Wireless will give you the best coverage. I have friends with Sprint, and relatives with AT&T and they are off their own network a fair amount of time on the lake.
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
KevinPlante

I have Verizon. I have friends with Nextel and US Cellular. I consistently have the best service. I have never had any problems getting service anywhere on the lake. The only problem I have is that all my friends use my phone whenever we are on the boat and they need to make a call.
KevinPlante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
Hermit Cover

Smile Cell Phone Service

Thanks for your opinions...and yes, it is a question that is dealt with yearly...but with ever-changing technologies and more and more towers popping up one likes to keep up with the times.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

We are very happy with Verizon too. A few months ago WAAF had a survey about cell phone providers. Verizon won hands down for best coverage.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
LillithFaewen

Exclamation US Cellular

My entire family uses US Cellular with the exception of my son in law who uses Nextel for the walkie talkie feature. No complaints with US Cellular thus far, except for a stretch of 106 where we don't get service for about 1/2 mile. All of us are previous Verizon customers who abruptly ended our contracts due to a variety of complaints. (Lousy customer service, over-charges on our bills, lousy service). YMMV

Here is an interesting web site I found while doing some research www.verizonpathetic.com
LillithFaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:22 PM   #7
RI Swamp Yankee

This flatlander has found good coverage with Verizon in his drives around the lake. Comments on this forum a couple of years back prompted me to choose Verizon. I found one spot near Ames Farm where it drops out and there is at least one poster here that can't use Verizon at his house near Alton Bay due to being in the shadow of a hill.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:20 AM   #8
RLW

Thumbs up Nextel does it for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPlante
I have Verizon. I have friends with Nextel and US Cellular. I consistently have the best service. I have never had any problems getting service anywhere on the lake.
I have Nextel and located in Alton, but travel all over and i really do nor have any area that is bad except for going up Alton Mountain and over the other side. Once over no problems. I use direct to my friends in Burlington Vt and RI all the time.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:39 AM   #9
Mink Islander

Default Verizon

Been happy with Verizon. Only issue has been a dead spot on Rt 104 heading into Meredith. Haven't tried that area for a year or so though and they may have better coverage now. Never had a problem anywhere on the lake.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:36 AM   #10
Grant

Default What About GSM???

Over the years, I've had both Verizon and Cingular service at the Lake -- and have enjoyed great service. Only issue was the massive roaming charge Cingular slapped us with after a few weeks on the Lake (the screen never said "roam" but instead read "Cingular Extend" -- very tricky). No such issue with Verizon -- but that depends on your plan. Verizon definitely has more of its own network points in NH vs. Cinfular. However, these experiences were with CDMA or TDMA service. Now I have switched over to GSM service, which has been rolled out aggressively in the mid-Atlantic states. So far, there've been very few instances of spotty service (from, say, New York through mid-Virginia and remote poitns all over PA), so the network build-out is progressing well.

BUT...when I look at a map of the east coast, I notice that GSM service appears to be spotty-to-non-existent in the Lakes region -- only extending slightly into the southern portion of the state.

Does anyone have any experience with GSM service in the area? How far north does it extend?

Thanks!
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:41 AM   #11
KBoater

Question Wolfeboro Cel

I have had spottie service around Wolfeboro last year. Has the Verizon Cel service improved?
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #12
Merrymeeting

We have Verizon and it is still spotty around Wolfeboro. Can't get a signal at all near our home on Merrymeeting (East / Wolfeboro side)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 03:25 PM   #13
Grant

Default Cingular Good

Cingular was very good on the eastern side of the Lake (we're in Melvin area). I've also taken it out on the boat all over the Lake, and the coverage has been very good -- although we were definitely "romaing" (see earlier message).
Old 05-06-2004, 04:34 AM   #14
Eki

I have T-Mobile GSM service...

The route I travel, MASS border up 3 - everett turnpike - 93 - 4 - 28, I get GSM coverage all the way up through Concord and Pittsfield on 28. Coverage stops right about at Barnstead town line.

I get no GSM coverage North of Pittsfield including anywhere on the lake

Someday it will be here!
Eki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:09 AM   #15
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eki
I have T-Mobile GSM service...

The route I travel, MASS border up 3 - everett turnpike - 93 - 4 - 28, I get GSM coverage all the way up through Concord and Pittsfield on 28. Coverage stops right about at Barnstead town line.

I get no GSM coverage North of Pittsfield including anywhere on the lake

Someday it will be here!
That's the same route I take. Based on your description of where GSM coverage ends, I'd say the most recent coverage maps I've seen are pretty accurate. I was afraid this would be the case. Hopefully they will build out the network to extend GSM service northward. My prior services worked pretty well in the region, and I knew that this year would be spotty for GSM in the Lakes Region, but it's a reasonable trade-off for the service I get elsewhere. They built the network pretty quickly in the NJ-PA area over the past year, so it's possible that we could see good GSM coverage in the area by this time next year. (Fingers crossed...)
Old 05-06-2004, 08:15 AM   #16
Grant

Default Cingular GSM Coverage

The Cingular map shows a tongue of coverage reaching up into Laconia -- which is much better that last year. However, the "future coverage" color doesn't extend anywhere else in the Lakes Region.

http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html..._ma_con_ri.htm
Old 05-09-2004, 11:31 AM   #17
gtxrider

Can you hear me now? Hang up the phone pay attention to your driving. The car you don't hit may be mine. When out on the boat enjoy the lake. Make your calls when you get home.

What did we do before cell phones?

I find Verizon service acceptable I had AT&T and it did not seem to work at all in NH.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:21 AM   #18
Grant

I just want the service so I can make "local" calls from the house (long distance is included in my plan -- why pay twice?). I agree with the "hang up and drive" sentiment. At least twice a week, I nearly get spanieled by some clown or clownette who's more engrossed in their phone conversation than in the traffic patterns. Insane.

But I STILL want decent GSM service in the Lakes Region!
Old 05-10-2004, 10:34 AM   #19
Chris Exley

Default Cingular Service Non Existent in Wolfeboro

Actually, I didn't receive a signal from the NH stateline through Wolfeboro and out to 19 mile bay. Very dissapointing.
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:28 AM   #20
Grant

Chris -- Was that with Cingular GSM service? If so, VERY disappointing.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:03 AM   #21
Grant

Default Definitive Word on GSM

Brought my GSM phone (900 & 1800) up to the Lake Thurs through Mon. Had a chance to travel pretty much all the way around the Lake with it and checked the service along the way.

As reported, there is GSM service in the Laconia region. Strong signal from Weirs to Tilton, with a little drop-off around Winnisquam. Nothing in Wolfeboro or Moultonborough. Nothing from Epsom circle north on 28 to 109 on the eastern side. Oddly enough, however, I did get sporadic, weak signals at our waterfront location in Melvin Village. I assume this was a little of the Laconia area signal making its way across the Lake.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:51 AM   #22
Lin

I've had my Nextel for about three years now. Before that I used Verizon. But I loved the walkie/talkie feature and can use it to talk from the lake back to central MA. I even called from LA/CA last June all the way to southern NH with never a problem. I've really not had a phone service problem with the Nextel except maybe some friday nights when everyone is arriving or making plans and the towers will be too busy for a signal.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:33 PM   #23
Pepper

Exclamation News about Cingular & GSM

Newsflash! Cingular had a contract with T-Mobile for GSM coverage up here. About three weeks ago, T-Mobile bailed out on the deal, and Cingular is now without GSM service up here again! The great news is (if you can call it that) Cingular can sell you a phone that will flip back and forth to GSM and non-GSM coverage ( it does it automatically) which will allow you to have service up here until next year, when they will completely do away with their non-GSM service. Reassuring, isn't it? Face it - there's not a single provider that actually covers the entire area up here. No matter which service you choose - expect holes for a few more years.
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 04:49 PM   #24
MadMan

Default GSM service US vs Europe

Is the GSM service offered by Cingular (or any other vendor) the same protocol that is used in Europe? IOW, if I have a US GSM phone can I use it on a European GSM network?
MadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 06:36 PM   #25
Skip

Default European GSM compatability

There is no simple answer, you will have to contact your carrier for specific compatability.

European GSM standards are very complicated (consisting of 8000 pages).

Some GSM US devices work in certain overseas markets & some do not.

Some carriers also offer compatability sites (AT&T wireless for example) that allow you to check for compatability on-line before you go. That, or a quick phone call to your customer service (if there is such a thing) is the best and only way to ascertain compatability.

Good luck,

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 06:45 PM   #26
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Default Yes. GSM = GSM... but wait, there's more...

Yes. GSM = GSM. The protocol is the same in Europe as it is in the USA.
But there is much more to it than that. Skip raised a good point in an off-forum e-mail to me - the GSM frequency differences.

The frequencies used by some GSM phones and service providers are not the same in all countries. That is an issue you need to be aware of. I got more curious and here’s a brief summary of what I found – hope it makes this portion easy to understand:

GSM cell service in the US (also Canada, Mexico, Japan, Korea and a few others) operates in the 1900 MHz frequency band and also 900 MHz. Most, but not all other countries have GSM systems in the 900 MHz band with newer service being added in the 1800MHz band. “They” are calling 900 MHz and 1800 MHz the GSM International bands while referring to 1900 MHZ as the US Band. There is also new GSM in the US in the 850 MHz band (formerly used for some analog cell calls).

The bottom line: Today, you need a “triple-band” GSM phone that operates at 900/1800/1900MHz for maximum US and international compatibility. To make things even more confusing the term “Tri-band” cell phone does not always mean the same thing . So, if/when you get a Tri-Band GSM phone make sure it covers the three GSM bands mentioned (900/1800/1900). There are some very few Quad band GSM phones that cover the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz bands.

Here’s a quote from the Nokia web site: “ Tri-band GSM cell phone (operates on 900/1800/1900 Mhz frequencies) works on GSM networks in approximately 140 countries and gives you the ability to stay in touch even as you travel around the globe. GSM network coverage and roaming ability is operator dependent and not available in all countries or areas. Check with your mobile service provider about roaming and coverage areas”

For more GSM history, information (including discussion about SIM cards for your GSM phone) and links click here:
GSM links and Info

Can you hear me now?
AL, Skipper of the Sea Que (CQ)

Last edited by Skipper of the Sea Que; 05-21-2004 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Updated
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #27
Merrymeeting

Default T-Mobile?

Resurrecting this post to see if there are any updates. With plans, vendors, mergers, and towers changing all the time...

I am looking at a package from T-Mobile that seems to meet many of the needs we have for a package and services. Anyone have recent T-Mobile experience around the lake? Coverage any better or worse than others?

I am limiting my search to GSM vendors as I travel internationally quite a bit. This pretty much limits me to Cingular (AT&T), Nextel, and T-Mobile. I have Cingular/AT&T right now and am becomming increasingly frustrated with the dropped calls, signal holes, and general poor service.

Thanks.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:26 AM   #28
SOMEONEGOTCHA

Default Cell coverage

This is not a direct answer to your question, but I do know that Alton is in the middle of discussion for a cell tower installation on Old Wolfeboro Road. Who is requesting the permits is unknown to this writer. I'm sure this thread may bring out more info regarding it. Now me, I'm hoping for Verizon or Nextel.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:52 AM   #29
Lakewinniboater

Default hmmm

hi don't know on the T-Mobile. However, you mentioned Nextel.... I just left them. NO SERVICE for the most part at the lake. I also just came back from Italy and London. Almost no service there either!

I went to verizon. However, don't need to bring the phone internationally much. SO....
Old 09-26-2005, 12:57 PM   #30
CentreHarborEric

Default Sprint is Terrible

Used to have Verizon, forced to go to Sprint when I changed jobs. Verizon was very good I thought, especially on the water, not as great on some of the roads mentioned above.
But Sprint is BAD for the most part on or off the water.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #31
Pam

Default T Mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting
Resurrecting this post to see if there are any updates. With plans, vendors, mergers, and towers changing all the time...

I am looking at a package from T-Mobile that seems to meet many of the needs we have for a package and services. Anyone have recent T-Mobile experience around the lake? Coverage any better or worse than others?

I am limiting my search to GSM vendors as I travel internationally quite a bit. This pretty much limits me to Cingular (AT&T), Nextel, and T-Mobile. I have Cingular/AT&T right now and am becomming increasingly frustrated with the dropped calls, signal holes, and general poor service.

Thanks.
We recently switched from Cingular to T-Mobile. Fortunately, both give us an excellent signal at our place in Meredith, but is spotty around the lake. There's a large, completely dead spot on a section of Route 104 and several dead spots on Rte. 93. It seems to vary tremendously, but T Mobile seems pretty identical to Cingular in our experience in Meredith.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:11 AM   #32
xomycatsxo

My in-laws who have a vaca house on Lake Wentworth in Wolfeboro have US Cellular and it works great. We have Verizon and it works great most places except that stretch right past the tracks on 106 (that everyone comments about). Pretty bad service on the way to Wolfeboro from Gilford (pretty much all the way through Alton until you get to Weston Auto).

I thought US Cellular bought the rights to use Verizon's towers, therefore they now have the same coverage???

We used to have Nextel, which was horrible, IMO - in all aspects. That's what we had when we first moved here and reception was horrible in most places.
xomycatsxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #33
nym3007

Default cell service

I have verizon its not bad but you gotta find spots for it to work an example was at the Winniepesaukee Motel I had to be in the front of the place to get a signal since I was in a backroom that meant running to the front to make a cell call and once someone called me and i ansewered in the rain with just my hat on my head no umbrella lol and also at Halfmoon Motel on the weirs you need to be on the balcony to get a signal, but its reliable when around town like Hannaford and such.

Last edited by nym3007; 09-27-2005 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling corrctions
nym3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #34
Bubba

Default On water vs on land

Reception is different. I have left US Cellular and gone to Verizon. None of them are perfect, but Verizon has less issues.

However, reception is better on the lake than on shore (and it makes sense). In town you are in a valley, hills blocking signal. In downtown Wolfeboro, reception can be spotty at best. Five feet out from the dock, it's perfect.

I did hear that several ne towers are going into Wolfeboro.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:25 AM   #35
MovieStar

Default hey guys

For those of you who have cingular, you can modify your plan and not pay roaming at all(Nation wide long distance). I travel a lot and this makes my life so much easier. A little bit of info that may make someones life a little easier.
MovieStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:49 AM   #36
Grant

Default Good Point

We've been using that Cingular Nation option for a few years now, and have eliminated long distance service from our home land line. Why pay twice for it, when it's included in the monthly service fee for the cellular service?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:25 AM   #37
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow Verizon for me.

I have Verizon for a few years now. I have very little issues about using it on the lake. The only place I know of that I have trouble is the west Alton area, in front of Sleepers Island.
This year I bought a Treo so that I can access my emails and messenger services. It works great! I can access most web sites, although it is slow. For those who has no cable or phone access but need to communicate on the internet, Verizon WiFi is one way to go.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #38
ACutAbove

I have Verizon right now and I am not thrilled by having to use them. I have had some issues with billing and stuff since getting them this past Dec.
I have noticed that nextel service is getting much better around the lake, friends that have that service havenoticed it working in places that it has not before. I had Nextel before I moved up here and I miss the 2 way feature very much. Also I noticed that the Walmat in Gilford is selling the Nextel service now. Does that mean that Nextel is trying to make a push into the area? I hope so!!!!
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #39
xomycatsxo

Tell me about it. I don't think their customer service is something to write home about in the least. I think we've had about $2500 worth of credits from them since we signed on with them (this Dec. our 2 yr contract will be up). We're very seriously considering U.S Cellular because of this reason. Not only did they screw up billing so many times, some of their reps were unbelievably rude when I called to get them to correct it.

One month we had over $1200 in credits because they didn't set my blackberry to be unlimited so I ended up hundreds of minutes (maybe even thousands, can't remember) over my monthly limit. Anyhow, you get the idea- just a lof of problems. I barely understand my bill as it is - I don't need to babysit it every month- and certainly don't need to deal with people being jerks to me when they're in the wrong!

Just my two cents..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACutAbove
I have Verizon right now and I am not thrilled by having to use them. I have had some issues with billing and stuff since getting them this past Dec.
I have noticed that nextel service is getting much better around the lake, friends that have that service havenoticed it working in places that it has not before. I had Nextel before I moved up here and I miss the 2 way feature very much. Also I noticed that the Walmat in Gilford is selling the Nextel service now. Does that mean that Nextel is trying to make a push into the area? I hope so!!!!
Spay or neuter your cat. One female and her kittens can theoretically produce 420,000 cats in seven years, according to the U.S. Humane Society.
xomycatsxo is offline   Reply With Quote