Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
Phantom

Default Who knows the "Real" answer to this

Preamble:
We love to boat at night - clearly not for everyone, but we feel quite comfortable doing so as far as Safe navigation. As a habit there is always a "companion" with me diligently watching for other crafts, debris, markers, as an "additional pair of eyes" up front.

My biggest fear through the years is always having someone run up my transom ( yes I have been boating long before the Meredith Bay issue) and although the new 25 mph speed limit tends to reduce that concern, it obviously doesn't eliminate the possibility. Thus for years I have always had an "Anchor" light on my stern in addition to the 360 white pole light. It gives a nice bright reference point at the water line and can't be mistaken for a house or patio light off in the distance.

Now we just upgraded to a new 26' Crownline and find out during prep by the dealer that they cannot physically find a spot to mount an "anchor" light on our new baby. ..... No worries I said... As we have as standard equipment one of those new ( probably thoroughly useless) set of LED lights under the swim platform. I can simply turn them on.

Question:
I was told by the dealer that NH Law prohibits the use of such lighting, including "party lighting" on pontoon boats while underway !

I consider myself fairly versed in the rules governing boating, but I have NEVER heard of this one!!

Fact or Fiction ?