Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
Grandpa Redneck

Default Lake Host ???

Does anyone know why this year the lake hosts are asking if you have facilities on board and if they are permenent or portable instalation? I honestly don't see what this has to do with stopping the spread of invasive species?

I understand stopping the spread of the invasive species, and agree its a good idea, but the constant speal and questioning 2-4 times a weekend, every weekend really gets annoying, especially when its the same host asking the same questions when you put in and when you take out. Even on a smaller lake where they only see 6-8 boats and a dozen canoes/kayaks over the course of the day.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Redneck View Post
Does anyone know why this year the lake hosts are asking if you have facilities on board and if they are permenent or portable instalation? I honestly don't see what this has to do with stopping the spread of invasive species?

I understand stopping the spread of the invasive species, and agree its a good idea, but the constant speal and questioning 2-4 times a weekend, every weekend really gets annoying, especially when its the same host asking the same questions when you put in and when you take out. Even on a smaller lake where they only see 6-8 boats and a dozen canoes/kayaks over the course of the day.
My boat was inspected for plants after pulling out of a Maine lake on Friday morning. It passed and the host thanked me for allowing the inspection. When I was tying the boat down to the trailer, I found two big pieces of weed clinging to the stern area. So much for inspections...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Does anyone know why this year the lake hosts are asking if you have facilities on board and if they are permenent or portable instalation? .
Maybe they are looking for that other invasive species known as a speckled corn eye brown trout.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Jonas Pilot

Quote:

Maybe they are trying to educate people of the connection between fecal contamination and plant growth.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Did ya notice?

The lake host inspectors always questions and inspect motor boats? And the paddle boats owners can come and go without even a wink from the inspectors? Paddle boats can bring in invasive weeds as much as a motor boat! I have not witnessed a sailboat and I like to see if they are scrutinized.
AC2717 (08-06-2012), CGI3 (08-07-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
AC2717

agree BH,
since those ar emore portable they are more apt to jumpimg in and out of different lakes, not to mention guests of residents on the lake that just put them in anywhere. Not saying I do not like them, but it is a clear and present hazard that really cannot be control, also they do not pay like motor boats to go in and out nor contribute to the lake clean up fund or whatever you call it.

Again I have one myself but it stays on lake Winni. do I want to see a fee for one, not really but if it were $5 for a sticker for the kayak for the lake I do not think that would be a bad idea, and i hate fees
BroadHopper (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Jonas Pilot

I think trailered boats probably have the highest incidence of transference because of the trailers. Almost every time I have found weeds after taking my boat out they have been caught between the boat and trailer or on the trailer itself. On most car top vessels there is nothing for the weeds to catch onto due to the smooth surface.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default I notice in VT

All recreational vehicles, be it paddle boat, motor boat, sail boat, ATV's, snow machine etc. carries some kind of envronmental sticker?

I think it is a good idea. A few bucks here and there to support the environment.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
Jonas Pilot

I agree. We should all pay to play. I think a good way to raise dedicated funds would be to sell "insurance" along with our fishing and hunting licenses. This would give the bearer a free ride if they were unfortunate enough to get in some predicament that required rescue services.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
braunbayboater

Default Lake host sticker

When I put in for the first time this season the Lake Host gave me a sticker which I promptly attached to my trailer. Now any time I put in or take out the Lake Host sees the sticker and just waves (Long Island causeway). I think all vessels should be checked and their captains educated about invasive plants.

Last edited by braunbayboater; 08-06-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling
braunbayboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by braunbayboater View Post
When I put in for the first time this season the Lake Host gave me a sticker which I promptly attached to my trailer. Now any time I put in or take out the Lake Host sees the sticker and just waves (Long Island causeway). I think all vessels should be checked and their captains educated about invasive plants.
The Lake Host at our ramp cant seem to remember I am there each week. He introduces himself each time. Even though we have several stickers on the trailer. He's real nice when he approches anyway...

People should also check their anchors. That's another easy way to move weeds around the lake.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
jrc

I don't understand the sticker thing? Isn't the lake host supposed to check the boat for invasive species? How does having a sticker check the boat this time, it only says they checked the boat last time, right?

BTW, the DES boat people have been seemingly more active this year, maybe all the questions about facilities is driving action on their part. This is one law that I'm sure we all agree on.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
gslpro

Quote:
The permanent facilities on-board flush with lake water, ie water carrying pieces of weeds, I am sure. This would be sitting in the water of another lake, allowing the traveling weed to fall out and spread. I am sure it is a minor threat compared to the larger impact areas, but still a threat. I guess the worst case scenario would be someone with a y-valve flushing their head in a badly infected area, trailering to Winni and deciding to dump his holding tank accidentally or purposely because the line at the pumping station was too long or he/she was too cheap to pay $5 to have it pumped. You never know.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I don't understand the sticker thing? Isn't the lake host supposed to check the boat for invasive species? How does having a sticker check the boat this time, it only says they checked the boat last time, right?

BTW, the DES boat people have been seemingly more active this year, maybe all the questions about facilities is driving action on their part. This is one law that I'm sure we all agree on.
I think the logic is that if you have a sticker you have been educated about the problem and are checking your boat for weeds.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslpro View Post
The permanent facilities on-board flush with lake water, ie water carrying pieces of weeds, I am sure. This would be sitting in the water of another lake, allowing the traveling weed to fall out and spread. I am sure it is a minor threat compared to the larger impact areas, but still a threat. I guess the worst case scenario would be someone with a y-valve flushing their head in a badly infected area, trailering to Winni and deciding to dump his holding tank accidentally or purposely because the line at the pumping station was too long or he/she was too cheap to pay $5 to have it pumped. You never know.
I think that these days any boat with the ability to dump overboard is pretty rare. Note to mention there aren't a lot of places on the lake where that would go unnoticed.

But, the sinks on boats with water systems usually rinse over the side, same as the freshwater washdowns, so that could be a potential threat I suppose.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #16
jrc

I watched a DES guy inspect an older sailboat last weekend, sink drained directly overboard. Owner was required to fix it. I'm sure this is the most common issue.

Given long time federal laws, very few boats, if any, are dumping toilet water in the lake. But a few still dump sink or shower water. The DES people inspect boats in marinas, I see them walking the docks with their laptop, checking hull numbers. Trailer boats can be missed, they only have a few people doing this and they can't be at every launch.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
jetlag100

While at the Antique Boat Show in Meredith, I noticed that when the car/boat drove out of the lake, it had a few large "lake weeds" under it. Where were the Hosts then?
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
magicrobotmonkey

We've had our Kayak "inspected" at several launches around the area.
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I watched a DES guy inspect an older sailboat last weekend, sink drained directly overboard. Owner was required to fix it. I'm sure this is the most common issue.

Given long time federal laws, very few boats, if any, are dumping toilet water in the lake. But a few still dump sink or shower water. The DES people inspect boats in marinas, I see them walking the docks with their laptop, checking hull numbers. Trailer boats can be missed, they only have a few people doing this and they can't be at every launch.

Are you not allowed to have a sink drain overboard? My bowrider has a sink in the cockpit that just drains directly out the side. I tihnk that is pretty typical. Is that illegal?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Are you not allowed to have a sink drain overboard? My bowrider has a sink in the cockpit that just drains directly out the side. I tihnk that is pretty typical. Is that illegal?
But it's OK to have your bilge pump dispense water from the bilge (complete with oil, fluids and other nasty things) into the lake. Where's the logic in that?
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
jrc

The law is about gray water, this includes showers, kitchen sinks, and laundry. They don't make an exception for little bar sinks that probably won't be a problem, because they are bureaucrats. Gray water is bad as nutrients in the discharge feeds algae and other stuff in the water ruining the water quality and clarity.

Bilge water should not have any oil in it unless your boat is broken. Discharging oil into the lake is also illegal.

My boat and most late model cruisers bought on the lake are ordered form the factory with gray water systems. It's an extra cost option only needed in a places. All the gray water is routed to a tank that I pump out when I pump the toilet tank. Most non-lake boats dump gray water directly overboard.

When someone moves a boat to the lake, the DES check them out. You are supposed to tell the DES when you move a boat with facilities to the lake.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
But it's OK to have your bilge pump dispense water from the bilge (complete with oil, fluids and other nasty things) into the lake. Where's the logic in that?
After this weekends downpour my auto bilge came on. I was please to see NO oil slick in the discharge. I wipe down any grime at the end of the season to keep it clean.
Even with a clean bilge I usually only run the bilge pump on land or pull the plug...
Old 08-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
radioman

Default Lake hosts

I am a Lake Host at Shep Browns and have found many of the comments very interesting! The program is actually funded by the Nh Lakes Assoc which is a nonprofit with an office in Concord. There are a number of other municipalities like Meredith that get involved and those people not only inspect boats and treailers but sometimes collect ramp fees as well. Then we have people who volunteer their time to sit at their local ramps. Lastly there are paid inspectors but all are trained and all are instructed to ask permission to inspect. I suspect that I am the guilty person who has failed to recognize regular boaters but please keep in mind that I inspect an average of 55 boats each day and try to do my best but the decal only tells me that you understand the problem and the Host program. The decal only serves to eliminate all the explanation. You might be interested to learn that the program is working with 76 "saves" to date. Do we get them all? No! Now the issue of facilities is not a big deal as most of the boats are all under 25 feet and as such, if anything, have portable units at best. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to radioman For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-09-2012), Grandpa Redneck (08-09-2012), Lakegeezer (08-09-2012), MAXUM (08-09-2012), Merrymeeting (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #24
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I am a Lake Host at Shep Browns and have found many of the comments very interesting! The program is actually funded by the Nh Lakes Assoc which is a nonprofit with an office in Concord. There are a number of other municipalities like Meredith that get involved and those people not only inspect boats and treailers but sometimes collect ramp fees as well. Then we have people who volunteer their time to sit at their local ramps. Lastly there are paid inspectors but all are trained and all are instructed to ask permission to inspect. I suspect that I am the guilty person who has failed to recognize regular boaters but please keep in mind that I inspect an average of 55 boats each day and try to do my best but the decal only tells me that you understand the problem and the Host program. The decal only serves to eliminate all the explanation. You might be interested to learn that the program is working with 76 "saves" to date. Do we get them all? No! Now the issue of facilities is not a big deal as most of the boats are all under 25 feet and as such, if anything, have portable units at best. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
You've inspected me several times, no you never remember me from times past, but that's OK after a while I'm sure you will. I applaud these efforts to prevent the spread of weeds, even if it's not 100% successful, education and checking when you can is better than nothing! You do a fine job out there so don't let anyone bust your chops about it. On a hot day even sitting in the shade on the picnic table, makes for a long day. Thank you for what you're doing, it's appreciated.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
radioman

Default Lake host

Thank you maxum, your comments are very much appreciated, next time that you launch, please identify yourself so i can shake your hand.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #26
4Fun

Radioman,
I also think it's a great program. I certainly was not complaining about your efforts. I know it's hard work to give the same pitch to everyone that comes down the ramp. Thank you for doing it!! I appologize for sounding like it's not appreceiated.

I am sure there are lots of people at the ramp who do not have a clue about
millfoil and every bit helps.

Keep up the good work.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #27
radioman

Default Lake Host

4Fun, Thank you