Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
sorourke

Default Vacation is booked, now collecting fun ideas

Hello once more, Lake folk!

Thanks in part to your kind help, we have booked a week of vacation in Weirs Beach at the Tower Hill Cottages. We liked Cozy Inn and Tower Hill just about equally, so we decided to book less expensive accommodations to have more money to spend on activities.

Now, I'm scouring NH guidebooks and websites for fun stuff to do with the family (me, the Mrs., and two kids who will be 4 and almost 3 when we visit). We'll be there in the second week of August. Any great recommendations for places to eat, things to do, or little day trips would be much appreciated. We plan to spend a good deal of time playing at the beach, to be sure. But other ideas would be great. Thanks in advance, all!
sorourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
ghfromaltonbay

Default August vacation tip

Glad to hear you got a reservation. The 2nd week in August has always been one of my favorites and most years the weather has cooperated for beach time. With small children like yours, a trip to Story Land in Glen, NH might be a nice cloudy day activity. Another great stop is the Old Country Store in Moultonborough (Rte. 25) which is about 20 min. from the Weirs. It's a 200+ year old country store with a penny candy counter, homemade jellies, pickle barrels, excellent Vt. cheeses, and lots of nifty toys, candles, and other interesting items. Good for kids and grownups and it's open till 9 every night so you can go after the beach and not lose a sunny afternoon indoors.
Two moderately priced and kid friendly places to eat near the Weirs are:
JT's BarBQ & Seafood (Rt. 3 in Weirs) & Hart's Turkey Farm (Rt. 3 Meredith) and for great ice cream (sundae buffet) the Kellerhaus also @ the Weirs. In addition, there are both a Friendly's and Burger King on Rt. 3 heading south from the Weirs into Laconia. All of these are within 10 minutes of where you'll be staying.
As I said in an earlier post, a ride on the Mt. Washington is also a nice way to spend a few hours touring the lake.

I hope you have a great vacation and that the weather cooperates, especially since my whole family will also be up at the lake for the same week.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
sorourke

A friend of ours who lives in the Salem MA area already recommended Storyland to us. That's definitely on the list. Kellerhaus, too. Three words to strike fear in the heart of any diet: ice cream buffet.

For cruising on the lake, what do you all think of the Sophie C. instead of the Mt. Washington? It sounded like it might be more kid-friendly. Down close to the water, able to get into little nooks and crannies of the islands, etc.

The general store sounds very cool. I'm sure we'll get there, too.

My better 2/3 hears that there's a great yarn/knitting/crafts store in Center Harbor. Any knitters out there who could comment? How about local brewpubs? Dad has his own special interests, too. :-)

Other ideas we've collected included Squam Lake Natural Science Center (our kids love nature walks), the Polar Caves, and a short trip on the Conway Scenic Raliroad (the little man is in a train phase).

Are there any ideas for other short day trips? We've loved visits to Portsmouth in the past, so we may take a day there.

Where will you be staying, ghfromaltonbay?
Old 01-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
phoenix

yes there is a large Quilt/ yarn store in downtown Center harbor. They claim to be the largest in the country. My wife loves it and she goes many times each summer. They run a quilt contest every year and people from all over the country make a quilt and they are all displayed hanging in the store. Many are for sale.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
KPW

Last year the Mt Washington had a kids night on Tuesday night. One child free with a paying adult. It includes a buffet. They had a clown, shaping balloons, and two or three different entertainers. The kids with me had a blast. The sewing/quilting place in Center Harbor is Keepsake Quilting. I believe it is in the Heath Supermarket complex. There is a natural history museum (Libby Museum) on the Tuftonboro/Wolfeboro line. They have all kinds of stuffed animals and artifacts from the area. It is only a 2 - 3 dollar donation. They have a check list to see if you can find all the things listed, then you get a small prize. It is about a 45 minute ride from the Wiers. Good Luck and I hope the weather is great for your vaction.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
pmj

I agree with Kellerhaus. The mailboat is fun too.
You mentioned Portsmouth...they have a wonderful Childrens Museum. There is always a whale watch that the kids might enjoy, although it can boring for little ones until you see a whale.

If you hike, Mt Major is a nice little hike with great views from the top. I have seen little ones up there . There are easier trails for shorter legs.

A day trip to the Cannon Mt Tram is a nice trip and you can include Clarks trading post and see the bears.

Have fun. It is a great place to visit and even better to live here

pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
sorourke

Thanks to all - Keep 'em coming, folks!
Old 01-23-2005, 07:35 PM   #8
phoenix

like you I was trying to decide between Cape Cod and winni in 1981 for vacation and chose winni and have never left. Enjoy the trip
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
secondcurve

Default Klickity Klac Railway

If the "little man" is into trains he surely will like the Klickity Klac Railway in Wolfeboro. The Klickity Klac is a train lovers delight. A retired fellow has over a million dollars worth of toy trains on display in a store just outside of downtown Wolfeboro. The kids can run the trains and they just love the place. It really is something, even for adults. I think it costs about $5.00 a head and you can stay as long as you like. Have fun.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #10
nj2nh

Default Mini-golf

I think you kids might enjoy giving mini-golf a try. There are a bunch in the Weirs (under the Boardwalk, Volcano Golf, Go-Cart Golf, Funspot, Pirate's Cove and that new expensive one), one in Alton Bay and one in Wolfeboro. My kids played on 12 different courses this year.

All the suggestions so far are good ones for little kids. My boys (now 8 and 11) enjoyed them all. I do think that Polar Caves might be a bit much, but you could give it a try. I, personally, hate that place, but my boys loved it. Clark's Trading Post is just right as is Storyland. If you want to go far afield, Santa's Village (way north of Mt. Washington) is great for wee ones, but it is a hike.

You could also go to Castle in the Clouds - nice picnic grounds and a place to feed the fish and birds. I would pass on the castle tour at their age, though.

Jersey Girl
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Abenaki Tower in Tuftonboro is a very short hike and great views of the lake.
The kiddies might like it.

More photos of Abenaki Tower
This looks like a nice intimate way to tour the lake.

Winni Lake Tours
I agree that The Polar Caves and Story Land are a very good choices with little ones.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

If your 2/3 half is in to knitting, my wife and sister-in-law opened a yarn & knitting shop in Wolfeboro, so if you are going over that way, email me and I will give you directions...easy to find, just off the downtown area next to one of the public parking areas and a great pizza place (Louie's).

boat trip: I'd vote for the Mt. Washington...not as confining as the Sophie C may be for the little ones.

Big OH for Storyland...Kellerhaus...Also Funspot...and the world famous Waldo Pepper's for lunch or dinner...
Old 01-24-2005, 06:40 AM   #13
dpg

For kids your age either Storyland or a water part (there's a couple of them.)
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:42 AM   #14
glennsteely

Default How about a river walk and swim?

If you are up in the woods near Conway or Franconia, take a drive down the Kangamangus Highway....about 6 or 7 miles out of Conway you will find a rest area with access (kid friendly) to the Swift River. Great picnic spot and great swimming and walking. The river at that time of year is not running hard (unless there has been a lot of rain) and is warm enough to swim in. The rocks are as smooth as silk and it is kind of a natural water slide, with plenty of pools and rocks for exploring. Truly a beautiful spot to spend some family time. Also Flume gorge is a lot of fun too, but make sure the little ones can walk the whole way on their own, or you will have a very sore back.....I know from experience......anywhere you go, you will like, it is a New Hampshire promise, one we have been enjoying everytime we go........
Old 01-24-2005, 07:49 AM   #15
gtxrider

Default See the Bears!

If you want to venture north on Rt. 93 take a look at Clark's Trading Post and see the bears.

Make sure to spend time on/at the lake.

ENJOY the Vacation..
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:24 AM   #16
robjnh

Default Top 5's

My kids are 6 and 4 and 3 weeks and we live in Meredith every summer. IMO here are some top 5's :

1. Squam Lake science center
2. Story Land
3. Pirates Cove Mini Golf
4. Mt. Wasington - Very kid friendly
5. The Flume

Kid Friendly Places to eat:

1. Waldo Peppers
2. Tilt'n Diner
3. Uno's in Tilton - make your own pizza
4. Peking/ Toyko in the Gilford mall
5. Dockside's on Meredith Harbor

If all else fails - Movies @ Smitty in Tilton - Full menu and big comfy seats

Hopefull it will be 85 and sunny all week and you can spend your time swimming and making sand castles.
robjnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:24 PM   #17
luna

We revisit the Squam Lakes Science Center every year, my kids love it so much. If you happen to get a rainy day and need to get out of the house, the Libby Museum just north of Wolfeboro on Rt.109 is an interesting place and has lots of kids programs (last summer the nature center had a special program there every Wednesday - call them to find out what is happening this year). It's a museum of the natural history (animals, native americans, etc.) of the area. Very kind friendly. If you're looking for a smaller boat ride than the Mount, The Winnipesaukee Belle leaves from the town docks in Wolfeboro and is about 2 hours long. It goes around some of the islands...the time we took it we saw a mother loon with her babies on her back near a small island! By the way, the weather can be a little chilly the middle of August, in the evening. Have a great time!
luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:09 AM   #18
sorourke

Thanks again, everyone! These great ideas have been added to the collection. Please do feel free to keep 'em coming.

We certianly don't want to over-plan activities. We will be spending most of our time at the lake, at the pool, or at the playground. But having a nice list of cool stuff to do and things to see and places to eat is much appreciated. With a long list, we can look around at each option and pick and choose the best fits for our fam.

Best wishes to all!
Old 01-25-2005, 02:03 PM   #19
Dave R

Flume gorge and Cannon tram are a nice way to spend a day about an hour north. You'll want to stop at the Basin while in the area too, very neat thing to see. If you find yourself near Story Land, go north on route 16 a few miles to see Glen Ellis Falls. Very interesting. A bit north of there is the Mount Washington Auto Road another nice way to spend a day. If you want to see a moose, it's hard to beat the portion of route 16 between Glen Ellis Falls and Route 2. I hear Lost River is quite nice but I have never been.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:49 PM   #20
ghfromaltonbay

Thumbs up Keepsake Quilting

SOrourke

Keepsake Quilting in Center Harbor has a website: www.keepsakequilting.com

Your wife can check out what's offered. They have a very nice selection of materials for quilting along with household type gifts. There are 2 shops attached to the main store, the first has a very unique selection of yarns for knitting and crocheting. The 2nd has needlepoint & embroidery supplies and kits. I think it's neat -- the front porch is equipped with a row of Adirondack chairs which are usually occupied by all the husbands (read chauffeurs) relaxing with a cup of coffee & the newspapers from Heath's market in the same complex.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #21
glennsteely

Thumbs down Did I hear you say pool?

You cant spend time at the lake by being in a pool! Skip the pool and dive into the deep blue of Winnipesaukee......its probably cleaner than the pool too!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 05:54 PM   #22
KTO

Lightbulb A few ideas. . .

I know when I was younger I used to love to go to Santa's Village. I don't really remember it, but I do remember I had a good time everytime I went!
As for the location, someone please back me up on this. . .

I would say lean away from Weirs Beach because if we ever drive by, especially weekends, it's crowded. And in the past years with people getting sick because of ecoli (sp?). It's up to you though!

Maybe go fishing, I don't really know the best age to start, but even taking a rowboat out on the lake is fun too.

If I think of anything else I'll edit this post!
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #23
Janet

Default Don't forget the fireworks

Every Friday night there's fireworks from Weirs Beach. I still remember watching the fireworks while eating my box of caramel corn. We kids looked forward to our trip to the Weirs from Meredith. Great memories!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:30 PM   #24
Russtic

Default Vacation Activities

We've been coming to the lake for the last 5 years and have found plenty to do with 2 girls, now 10 and 7.
While the Mt. Washington offers a great cruise, it lasts 2 1/2 hours which may be too long for your young kids. I'd suggest taking a smaller vessel (it's either the Doris E. or Sophie C.) out of the Weirs to Meredith. It's only a half hour trip and you can get off in Meredith for some great ice cream at the dock before catching a later boat back. They leave fairly often, every hour, I think.
I'd also highly recommend Storyland. We tack it on to the end of our week at the lake.
Enjoy every minute with your family!
Russtic
Russtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:11 PM   #25
nym3007

I have been going to Weirs Beach since I was about 7 years old. I would say a great thing to do is go on the train rides that go from weirs beach to Meredith and to Lakeport, the 2 hour rides are 11 bucks 1 hour ride is 10 bucks so that is a nice option for kiddies. I also recommend Winni Lake tours that also run at weirs and takes you around the Islands. There are plenty of resturants to eat at as well plus many ice cream places as well. I go about 3 weeks a summer and all the time its nice and great. Trust me rain or shine Lake Winni is a beautiful place. I hope you enjoy your stay.
nym3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:07 PM   #26
KTO

Default Make a little stop!

While in the area, stop over at Wolfeboro. What a great historic town. The kids'll probably like the ice cream-with probably a million place to get some!
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote