Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Merrymeeting

Default Instructions that made us laugh

We have a wooden deck/patio near the water that was in place when we bought the house. It had been painted. We've switched to using a solid stain and most of the old stuff has long since peeled. But we still find that a re-coating is needed every 2-3 years.

In reading the instructions on the can today, we had to laugh.

"Surfaces must be sound and absolutely dry (moisture content must be below 15% or wood must be exposed to dry weather for a minimum of 3-5 days)"

"Do not apply in direct sunlight or to hot surfaces (remember I said this is on the waterfront), or when air or surface temperature is below 50 degrees or may fall below 50 degrees for 48 hours after application."

So, after power washing, we need to wait for 3-5 days of perfect weather for it to dry (at least we've had that for the past week to 10 days). We also need to wait until at least June so the nights don't go below 50. We need to apply it in the AM before the sun makes it hot, and after the sun has removed the morning dew, and we need to paint it when it will then be cloudy (but not rainy) for at least 48 hours.

In NH, we figure we have about a 4 hour window, once every 10 years.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Natt (05-07-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
camp guy

Default Instructions that made us laugh...

Somebody got paid a lot of money to write those instructions, and, at the same time, NOT scare you away from buying the product.

Good luck to you with your project.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
brk-lnt

When we re-stain our deck I just setup a climate controlled room around it. It's basically a bunch of 10mil plastic with a frame made from some modified scaffolding parts. A dehumidifier and then a converted heatpump system keeps the area all around the deck at an even 75 degrees and 10% RH while re-stain things.

The kit was fairly easy to put together, I only have about $20K invested in it. I could send you a set of plans and a price list if you want to build something similar.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
When we re-stain our deck I just setup a climate controlled room around it. It's basically a bunch of 10mil plastic with a frame made from some modified scaffolding parts. A dehumidifier and then a converted heatpump system keeps the area all around the deck at an even 75 degrees and 10% RH while re-stain things.

The kit was fairly easy to put together, I only have about $20K invested in it. I could send you a set of plans and a price list if you want to build something similar.
Maybe you could come by and set something up when we re-stain our house. Hate to see that $20K investment just laying around.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
jrc

Wait to the pollution police or a "good" neighbor read that you are using toxic stain near the water. Then you will have some rules to follow. Go edit your post quick...
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Maybe you could come by and set something up when we re-stain our house. Hate to see that $20K investment just laying around.
I was going to mention that I've considered renting it out for $5,000/day. Just give me your address and a credit card number and we're good to go.

(5 day minimum rental, some restrictions apply. We no longer honor competitors coupons).
Slickcraft (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Merrymeeting

Thanks brk-lnt. But for 20K, or even 5, we'll stick with re-staining every 3 years at $35/gallon.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
wifi

What was the cost of the SCBA needed to work in the enclosed fumes? I hope you don't smoke.... LOL
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post

You didn't come-up with that idea while "on the can" did you?

The OP said that "In reading the instructions on the can today, we had to laugh."

I guess at one time or another most people read while on the "can" .
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

I guess at one time or another most people read while on the "can" .
Well, I've been known to do so, but not this time Besides, wouldn't that make it on the can-can?
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Thanks brk-lnt. But for 20K, or even 5, we'll stick with re-staining every 3 years at $35/gallon.
OK, suit yourself.

I forgot to mention I also have a whole-house fumigator unit I converted for deck staining. You put up the climate-control enclosure, fill the fumigator with your stain, set it off, and then RUN!

20 minutes later, the whole deck is stained. Give it a day to fully dry, and you're done.

The converted fumigator is included with the rental. (Delivery is extra though).
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Well, I've been known to do so, but not this time Besides, wouldn't that make it on the can-can?
I thought that you might have a two holer outhouse.

Since I built my deck and let it dry out for a year, I have stained and painted it to no avail. So I decided to strip everything and then from that point on I only pressure wash it and put on Thompson water seal. It works great and is easy to do.