Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
codeman671

Default For the divers...

OK, who is going to be first to bring one of these to the lake? It looks like a blast. Doesn't everyone need their own personal submarine???

www.uboatworx.com

They range between $82-120k. Looks interesting.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Question Do we need more rules now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
OK, who is going to be first to bring one of these to the lake? It looks like a blast. Doesn't everyone need their own personal submarine???
That would be a nice fun vessel codeman but it makes me wonder:

Do subs underwater create a wake or are they exempt from no wake zones?

The design limits sub depth to 50 meters. Any lower and the tanks will blow as a safety feature and bring the sub to the surface therefore they should usually be above 50 meters. If the safety device blows I wouldn't want a sub surfacing under my boat, canoe or kayak.

Is it not unsafe for boats, kayaks and swimmers to have to worry about a submarine (boat) coming at us from below? It is scary and obviously there will be a movement to regulated these submarines!!

50 meters is ~ 150 feet. That puts the sub less than 150' from many boats above.

Can underwater subs (under Winnie) see far enough to avoid obstacles and stay 150' from other subs or other 150 rule requirements?

So... Will we need sonar on board our boats so we can see how close to a submarine we are?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
Orion

Default too cool

Boy Skipper....you really sucked all the fun out of that in a hurry!

One of these would be pretty nice! Might be frustrating not having a remote arm to pick up all the neat stuff you may find.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Surface, surface, surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que
That would be a nice fun vessel codeman but it makes me wonder:

Do subs underwater create a wake or are they exempt from no wake zones?

The design limits sub depth to 50 meters. Any lower and the tanks will blow as a safety feature and bring the sub to the surface therefore they should usually be above 50 meters. If the safety device blows I wouldn't want a sub surfacing under my boat, canoe or kayak.

Is it not unsafe for boats, kayaks and swimmers to have to worry about a submarine (boat) coming at us from below? It is scary and obviously there will be a movement to regulated these submarines!!

50 meters is ~ 150 feet. That puts the sub less than 150' from many boats above.

Can underwater subs (under Winnie) see far enough to avoid obstacles and stay 150' from other subs or other 150 rule requirements?

So... Will we need sonar on board our boats so we can see how close to a submarine we are?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Aaah well let me answer what I can. The max speed of such craft is spec'd at 3 knts so they will be at NWS no matter what wake the may make. FWIW I can't imagine a wake from a sub unless it's verrry close to the surface. So NWZ's and the 150' rule won't affect them.

Now as to surfacing under another poor innocent boat or having that mean reckless boater pass 149' over the sub ...well that's another matter indeed ! Luckily I have the answer. You're correct ... they (both) will need a sonar system to avoid these infractions. And I, being the public spirited guy that I am, am willing to sell just such a system for a mere $2000 per unit. Sure, sure you say that's not cheap but I say how cheap do you want to go when risking your life or financial well-being. Remember the Space Shuttle was built by the lowest cost contractor and .... we all know how well that worked out. Yes Virginia there's no need to be bagged by the MP for these dastardly deeds, just send your check to Mee'n'Mac_enterprises, 666 Flybynight Rd, SafeHaven, Bermuda and I'll fix U up just right !
Old 03-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
ApS

Lightbulb A Diver's Flag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que
"...Is it not unsafe for boats, kayaks and swimmers to have to worry about a submarine (boat) coming at us from below? It is scary and obviously there will be a movement to regulate these submarines...!!"
No more so than for surfacing loons, though I would want to re-surface my submersible very close to shore.

How about a dune buggy-style whip antenna with a diver's flag mounted on it? That would be sufficient to prevent damage to boats passing overhead.

Be sure to visit the "lights-option" page (nifty cursor), and this one (.pdf) for a cutaway view of the submarine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
Where most of the scenery would be under the operator? I'd prefer this vessel.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Grant

Wow -- that looks like some real fun.

And, yes, you'd be bumping into a lot of rocks in Winnipesaukee...probably not enough visibility to allow you to steer clear in time!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
Steveo

And just think...it's a mere $82,000
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
Grant

Think of the real estate you can't buy on the Lake for $82k... Heck, even the two-seater's price tag won't buy you a postage stamp lot on Winni these days.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #9
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Now you have me going...

As a diver, boater, and water-freak, I thought I got this kind of stuff out of my system with my Side Scan Sonar purchase last year. Now you post that. I am already imagining all of the things I could do with it.....Fun dives in Winni among many other lakes. Ocean dives off Gloucester to wrecks I wouldn't normally dive. Searches. Recoveries. General cruising. I dove a 120 foot deep wreck in the FL Keys last week that would have been perfect to bring someone who doesn't dive along to see. (the 2-seater? Of course the 2-seater).

So much for the addition on my house. Grant, think we both can fit in that puppy?

This isn't good.....really.....
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
Grant

If I hit that megabucks thing, I'll pick up one or two of those bad boys right after I close on Farm Island.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
rander7823

Default Soooo Cooool

Powerball ticket here I come.

What kind of boatng cert do you have to have to own/use one?
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo
And just think...it's a mere $82,000

Is that really the price or are you kidding?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
Is that really the price or are you kidding?
That is the price for the one seater.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
Misty Blue

Default Take her deep, XO!

OK Skip. Wadayasay we shine up our old silver dolphins, hit the claxon twice and take her down? If any one messes with us we'll do a snapshot and give 'em a Mark 48 ADCAP.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
Skip

Default Memories.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
OK Skip. Wadayasay we shine up our old silver dolphins, hit the claxon twice and take her down? If any one messes with us we'll do a snapshot and give 'em a Mark 48 ADCAP.

Misty Blue
"snapshot tube one, match bearings and SHOOT".....boy, brings back some fond memories!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #16
Skipper

Exclamation I've got an idea !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
"snapshot tube one, match bearings and SHOOT".....boy, brings back some fond memories!
Diver and Skip posts give me an idea. This is how the Marine Patrols can deal with the too fast boats. If they can't catch or outrun those speeders they could disable them!

Learn to be a real Skipper, click HERE and learn more.
Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #17
Weirs guy

Maybe us tax payers can buy one for Mitts compounds security patrols?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote