Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
dpg

Default Outdoor Wood Furnaces

Hi - does anyone have any personal experience or happen to know someone who owns an outside wood burning stove? They're self contained, sit outside and can heat your home, camp or whatever.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Someone has one next to their home on Rt 25 at the Centre Harbor-Meredith town line. It's easy to see from Rt 25, and is not far from The Mug restaurant. It's been there for two winters. It makes a big plume of smoke which is why I know about it. Depending on the weather, the smoke sometimes lingers big-time and smokes up the area.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
dpg

Oh ok thanks, I'll need to look for it sometime.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Weirs guy

dpg, search the forums. Seems to me we had this thread last year with a lot of info in it.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Island-Ho

Default Banned in some locations

They have been banned in some towns because they don't burn clean and can really create a public nuisance if you have neighbors. Can you imagine being downwind of one with it burning 24 hours a day?
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Coolbreeze

Try googleing Central Boiler.
We (here in Pa) have a few customers who have the system and swear by it. It is fairly residentially developed here and the smoke at fire up is pretty bad. There are alot of European companies who have better technology for this type of system and the smoke amounts released are less than the American competition. My customers have both residences and farms which the central boiler is there primary heating system for the winter and hot water yearly. They get the wood for free from us and stoke it every two to three days depending on the temps. In some cases they use unsplit wood in the burner. The systems are based on circulating hot water that is piped to the location to be heated from the boiler unit. Pretty impressive especially if your neighbors are far from you. The average costs for materials starts around 5k and up.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
idigtractors

I had one of these units in Maine. It worked just like an oil fired hot water furnace except it took 4' logs whole up to 10" round. It had a special table one would put the log on and then just push each log into the fire box. It did smoke like Haiti's when first lit and every time one loaded the fire box. I was very fortunate that I lived away from neighbors as it looked as if it was a dam foggy day when it puffed out the chimney. When one had to clean out the ash pit it was a job as you had to do it hot and it would fill a fifty-five gallon barrel. I ended up selling it for just about what I paid for it 9 years before. I had to give it up do to age and health. They are not for weekends or short time burning as they are built for non stop winter burn. I would go through 20 to 30 cords (Mid Oct thru 1st April) of wood both hard and soft mixture.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
fatlazyless

Hey Idigtractors, that's a very informative post. So, not only does it heat the house all winter, it gives you something to do all winter, too.

For a reliable and never ending source of firewood, there's the nearby Meredith transfer station which always has a big dumpster that gets filled with construction lumber debris. They get so much unwanted lumber in there, and by scrounging lumber you is saving the town money since they have less to haul away.

As a matter of fact, a good friend of mine done built a third bedroom-second floor on his little cottage built entirely from scrounged pt lumber. Don't never have to paint it.......golleeeee!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Puckster

Default owb

I have a woodmaster and I love it. Outdoor woodboilers (owb) are not for everyone though . They will take some wood. I have 1400 sq feet of living space and a 2 car garage that I heat. I burnt 8 chord last year (from oct to may) for heat and hot water. I also live in the middle of 30 acres and do not have a smoke stack right next to my neighbor. They do smoke when the first start and stop. They also need constant tending to. I have to feed it once in the morning and when I get home from work during the cold days of winter. Otherwise it is once every or every other day. That said, I love mine, and I have a cheap source of wood, so it will pay for it self after this winter. I love cutting wood, it is good excercise . I look at as doing my part to wean us off foreign oil. Most of the bad press has come from people burning trash and plastics in the owb in urban areas. If you would like more info on types of owb and common mistakes in setting up a owb, feel free to send me a private message. As far as manufacturers, I would check out Woodmaster, Central Boiler, Freeheat machine, and there is a company in Maine making high efficiency owb's now called Black bear?
Puckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
trfour

dpg,

This may help; http://www.centralboiler.com/

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #11
arthurc

Default Outdoor Furnaces

dpg. John Harrigan writes a column in the Meredith News and the Sunday News. He frequently writes about his monster outdoor furnace. His address is Box 39, Colebrook, NH 03576
Email him at hooligan@ncia.net
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:46 AM   #12
dpg

Thanks all, seems we're way too close to people in Moultonborough to consider one. I know it would get frustrating for me if a (close) neighbor of mine had one. Speaking of scrap wood there is a larg unit that's actually made and big enough to burn pallets. A good source of course if you had an endless pallet source. These things sound like they take miles of wood though, not a good source if you intended on buying it all.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #13
Frdxplorer

You might want to stop by Spider Web Gardens in Tuftonboro. They have a unit that they use to heat their greenhouses. They are happy to show you the system if you ask. It's pretty neat.

On another note, I just heard a news report here in PA about a town that is considering banning them for many of the reasons discussed above. Depending on who is sitting downwind, it can be quite an annoyance to have the constant smoke.

Other than that, they are pretty cool.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #14
HomeWood

A guy I know here in NC uses one for his house and it's his only means of heat. He loves it. But if you go on vacation or something you'll have to find somebody to tend to it or your house will be an ice cube. I'd only have it as a back up, not a primary system.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #15
idigtractors

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood
A guy I know here in NC uses one for his house and it's his only means of heat. He loves it. But if you go on vacation or something you'll have to find somebody to tend to it or your house will be an ice cube. I'd only have it as a back up, not a primary system.
My wood burner had a backup oil fired system that was tied into it. This was needed as it was a early 1800 14 room B&B. When the water temp got to low it would kick in and take over until the wood burner reached water temp and then the oil fired shut down. It was a great system for when we were away for a few hours longer than anticipated.

Last edited by idigtractors; 12-25-2007 at 09:23 AM.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #16
fatlazyless

Driving past the outdoor wood burning boiler on Rt 3 Centre Harbor right on the Meredith-Centre Harbor town line....what a pollutn-fallutn-mess of smoke that thing makes.....lots of thick grey smoke which hugs the ground....even tonight which is a high pressure, cool, & clear night. How come this smoke does not go straight up and dissapear?, It hugs the ground and smokes up the driving.

On a positive note, all the smoke hides the brightly lit moving sign that's up ahead.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-14-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #17
trfour

Default Chemistry Class...

just for you FLL,

New wood burning stoves don't let all the heat go up the chimney, hence no heat to lift the smoke.

Hope this helps

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 11-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Smoke without enough heat to make it rise? Ok, sounds like the answer. And, this was on a high pressure night when your regular wood stove smoke goes straight up, up & away. This boiler makes smoke which comes out the chimney, settles to the ground, and then creeps into Meredith.

Here's my dumb question of the decade. What ever happened to inexpensive and clean electro-magnetic energy, aka "electricity" produced by the Seabrook NH nuclear power plant? Originally, two nukes were planned, and one was built. Is a spot available there for a newbie nuke?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #19
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
...Here's my dumb question of the decade. What ever happened to inexpensive and clean electro-magnetic energy, aka "electricity" produced by the Seabrook NH nuclear power plant? Originally, two nukes were planned, and one was built. Is a spot available there for a newbie nuke?
Wasn't this the plant that put PSNH into bankruptcy and put a heck of a strain on the Coop?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #20
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

To answere your question,FLL......the "greenies" stop all nuclear plants.It's the cheapest,cleanest power on the planet and France is building them all over the place.They now supply 80% of their power,enabling them to thumb their noses at OPEC.Where is Al Gore when you nedd him?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #21
trfour

Default Nuclear Plants...

have had some bad PR in the past.
Heres what MIT thinks;

http://web.mit.edu/nuclearpower/

Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #22
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
Where is Al Gore when you nedd him?
That's easy.He left his 10,000 sq ft energy hogging house to fly on his private jet to preach to you and me about not wasting energy and accumulating those idiotic carbon credits.Then I think he had to stop and pick up all his awards from the primadonna liberal faction.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
That's easy.He left his 10,000 sq ft energy hogging house to fly on his private jet to preach to you and me about not wasting energy and accumulating those idiotic carbon credits.Then I think he had to stop and pick up all his awards from the primadonna liberal faction.
Whoa..... I couldn't have said it any better myself.....
Old 11-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #24
Weirs guy

You did leave out the part about re-inventing the internet.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #25
SIKSUKR

I thought he INVENTED the internet?