Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
CateP

Default Full Service Car Wash?

I posted a comment on my Wolfeboro recon thread, but wanted to bring out this topic for discussion.

In a nutshell, I was pretty disappointed with the car wash down at Wolfeboro Falls Clarke Plaza. When I move here I want to take my car to a place where they vacuum out your car, run it through a swirling brush car wash and then they hand towel it dry. It would also be nice if they cleaned the windows and wiped down the inside. There is a car wash like this in NJ that is $12.

Am I going to have to say goodbye to this kind of service when I move up to Wolfeboro? It's going to be more important to me to clean of the salt and sand and preserve my car up here.

Last edited by CateP; 08-26-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling error
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Winnipesaukee Divers

Geese Kate, NJ is looking better all the time, isn't it?

That's just what Wolfecity is all about; you got to leave all the modern convinces behind when you move up there. I've often thought about moving on up the place where I have so much fun. But then I think about how much I'd have to give up: no real grocery stores, no Home Depot, no Lowes, no department stores, no movie complexes, no large variety of cheap fast foods places, no high end restaurants, no car washes, no premium medical facilities, no quick trips to anywhere. Then I think back and remember, that's the lifestyle I came from, rural Vermont. Do I really want to go back? NO!

A friend of mine, who recently retired had these words of wisdom for me; "The thing I miss most about retiring, is that there are no more weekends, everyday is the same". Some of us need that carrot on the end of the stick, looking forward to the coming weekend. I'll take my retirement right here where life is good and keep Wolfeboro as my fun place to go play.

BTW: that Car wash you're looking for... the closes is "Top Hat" in Rochester on Rt. 125.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnipesaukee Divers For This Useful Post:
Mirror Lake's BB (08-23-2011), moose tracks (08-24-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
CateP

Hi WD- NJ is not looking better all the time and as I mentioned before I am not moving here to shop. I don't expect Wolfeboro to be like NJ and that is exactly why I am moving here.

I love this small town by the lake that is full of friendly , interesting, talented people. I love that the IGA people take your cart out to your car. I love that there are so many great places to eat and that I can go downtown, park my car and go into a bunch of local shops that are surviving and thriving in an economic downturn. I love that there is more and more to discover.

At this point I am in the process of discovering what is and what is not available as far as some services. I will adapt and adjust as needed.

If there is not a car wash with towel guys (Mexican immigrants where I currently live) then I will have to become my OWN towel guy (or girl). Just give me a heated garage and I'll detail my own car. Hey, with a much more relaxed pace in life here in Wolfeboro, I may actually have the time and enjoy such a chore.

Last edited by CateP; 08-23-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Winnipesaukee Divers

We all seem to have our own version of the perfect place to live. For me it's Exeter, NH... It's a academic town (Phillips Exeter Academy) and prestigious medical area. These two industries (for the lack of a better word) as well as Timberland and Tyco bring a lot of money into our community and therefore afford us a higher standard of living.

I'm just an hour form Wolfeboro & the lake, 10 minutes from Hampton Beach, 45 minutes from Boston, 2 hours from the White mountains and a hour from the Maine coast. Major roads connect through the greater Exeter area as well as the Downeaster rail service. It's by no means, NJ living, but comfortable.

For me, it's all about the excitement of journey up to the lake, it means that; I'm going to be having fun. I've been doing it for the last 35 years, spending weekends on my boat in Wolfeboro. I been there in the worst of times; the ice storm of 88, the blizzard of 93, Hurricane Bob, to those idyllic summer days sailing away to Ragged Island for raft up with fellow club members.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
NBR

Default Full Service Car Wash

Kate,

The only one I know of is on Elm Street in Manchester on Elm street south of the city center and on the east side of the street. Beyond that there is a place on rt. 3 between Laconia and I93. Not a pull or drive through but he does do a pretty good job. Take a book you will be a while.

No guarantees that the Manchester place is still in businees. I haven't been there in 3 or 4 years.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
sa meredith

Default Really?

Wait a minute....wash the car, hand dry it, vacuum it out, wipe down the inside, and oh, by the way, do the windows....FOR 12 BUCKS???!!!
Let us all know when you find that place. I'm in!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Sunbeam lodge (08-24-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers View Post
We all seem to have our own version of the perfect place to live. For me it's Exeter, NH... It's a academic town (Phillips Exeter Academy) and prestigious medical area. These two industries (for the lack of a better word) as well as Timberland and Tyco bring a lot of money into our community and therefore afford us a higher standard of living.

I'm just an hour form Wolfeboro & the lake, 10 minutes from Hampton Beach, 45 minutes from Boston, 2 hours from the White mountains and a hour from the Maine coast. Major roads connect through the greater Exeter area as well as the Downeaster rail service. It's by no means, NJ living, but comfortable.

For me, it's all about the excitement of journey up to the lake, it means that; I'm going to be having fun. I've been doing it for the last 35 years, spending weekends on my boat in Wolfeboro. I been there in the worst of times; the ice storm of 88, the blizzard of 93, Hurricane Bob, to those idyllic summer days sailing away to Ragged Island for raft up with fellow club members.
Agree with you WD. Everyone has their own favorite place to live. I LOVE Exeter, but the taxes are as bad as NJ.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
CateP

Default Wolfeboro Car Wash Does Detailing

I wanted to add a note to this thread about the Wolfeboro Car Wash. They DO offer detailing services such as the one I described, but not at the same price.

I will probably use that service at some point this winter.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Winnipesaukee Divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Agree with you WD. Everyone has their own favorite place to live. I LOVE Exeter, but the taxes are as bad as NJ.
Taxes! You get what you pay for... I have lots of friends who have comparable homes in other towns within the state and their tax bills are as high as mine. Except, Exeter has the best of everything, the best fire department, the best police Department, the best schools and the best municipal department.

Yes, my taxes are high, but I enjoy a higher standard of living. Besides, my wife's ancestors were part of the original settlers of Exeter, so we're not going anywhere.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
diz

Default Really?

Quote:
If there is not a car wash with towel guys (Mexican immigrants where I currently live) then I will have to become my OWN towel guy (or girl). Just give me a heated garage and I'll detail my own car. Hey, with a much more relaxed pace in life here in Wolfeboro, I may actually have the time and enjoy such a chore.
Really? Isn't it illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey? Are you sure you're ready for New England?
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
fatlazyless

Quote:
I posted a comment on my Wolfeboro recon thread, but wanted to bring out this topic for discussion.

In a nutshell, I was pretty disappointed with the car wash down at Wolfeboro Falls Clark Plaza. When I move here I want to take my car to a place where they vacuum out your car, run it through a swirling brush car wash and then they hand towel it dry. It would also be nice if they cleaned the windows and wiped down the inside. There is a car wash like this in NJ that is $12.

Am I going to have to say goodbye to this kind of service when I move up to Wolfeboro? It's going to be more important to me to clean of the salt and sand and preserve my car up here.
There is nothing up here in the lakes region that comes close to this for $12.

For $8-10-12 or so, the Mobil Gas at Exit 23 has a pretty good drive-thru car wash. It was constructed maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years ago when the gas station was first constructed. There are no car wash employees present what-so-ever.....sorry....probably need to go to Medford, Mass for that towel wipe dry, interior vacuum by peoples type of service.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
robmac

FLL, I took my Tahoe to that car wash a week ago. What a disappointment,windows were harder to see out of afterward then prior to cleaning. That car wash just off Mystic ave. used to be fantastic but like so many it has slipped to below mediocre.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #13
NHBUOY

Lightbulb

Sonny's on the Lynnway...Boy, do I miss him......
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
Lucy Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR View Post
Kate,

The only one I know of is on Elm Street in Manchester on Elm street south of the city center and on the east side of the street. Beyond that there is a place on rt. 3 between Laconia and I93. Not a pull or drive through but he does do a pretty good job. Take a book you will be a while.

No guarantees that the Manchester place is still in businees. I haven't been there in 3 or 4 years.
I use to go to that car wash. Loved it because they did my windows which I hate doing and am terrible at. They still exist but don't do all the extras. Just a car wash now.
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
Lucy Goose

I heard the onein Meredith is good on the hill but haven't tried it yet so can't recommend.
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Goose View Post
I heard the onein Meredith is good on the hill but haven't tried it yet so can't recommend.
If you mean the one opposite the Volvo dealer.....then sorry.....do no recommend it because it is a very brief wash.....not enough splash for the cash.....60-seconds wash and it's all over.....suggest you check out the other Meredith car wash just beyond Aubuchon Hardware which costs about $10-12 and takes about 5-minutes. You drive around behind it and up a little hill to get into the one touchless car wash bay. It also has three el cheapo, do-it-yourself, $2.75 wash bays which usually work terrific for removing winter salt and getting under the car, if you don't want to be spending the $10-12 at the touchless Simonize bay.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #17
martbri7

I like the pretty color soaps that pumps out on your windshield.....
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
AB_Monterey

Default Goodgodalmighty

AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #19
dpg

You won't be detailing your car yourself once the cold weather sets it unless of course you won't mind washing it in 20 degree weather (and having the suds freeze before you even get them off.) Better find a good, reasonable detailer you will use their services from Early December through April.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #20
Sunbeam lodge

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Wait a minute....wash the car, hand dry it, vacuum it out, wipe down the inside, and oh, by the way, do the windows....FOR 12 BUCKS???!!!
Let us all know when you find that place. I'm in!
I think she said it was in NJ
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #21
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Full service car wash sounds like a good business opportunity.....I go to one in Fla and after it goes through the brush wash, about 6 little Mexicans wipe down all the windows, dash, door jams, wheels and body....car is sparkling for $13.
Brushless washes don't get rid of salt and grime so I go to the one in Meredith or Laconia next to the Pizza Hut.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #22
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I work in Wolfeboro but I still take my truck to the wash down near Center Harbor. It does a fairly good job and there is a detailer there as well. No where near here are you going to get ANYTHING for $12.00 as far as a towel dry goes. Heck, the wash alone is around $12.00. Actually think we are lucky to have a car wash at all in Wolfeboro seeing as it is so close the lake....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #23
sa meredith

Default Vk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Full service car wash sounds like a good business opportunity.....I go to one in Fla and after it goes through the brush wash, about 6 little Mexicans wipe down all the windows, dash, door jams, wheels and body....car is sparkling for $13.
Brushless washes don't get rid of salt and grime so I go to the one in Meredith or Laconia next to the Pizza Hut.
Maybe the grass lot behind VK...nice little car wash/recon shop. Have breakfast, while watching the Mexicans clean your car.
While I think of it...did the view change back there? Seems like the mountains are more visible now. Maybe some tree clearing? I'm not sure as I usually eat at the counter, but sat near the window last Sunday. Maybe I just never noticed.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
SAMIAM

Yup....Randy Frye Logging cleared the back lot so we could get a view of the mountains........did a nice job.
As for the car wash....not a bad idea, only it'll probably be me that's wiping down the cars
Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #25
jmen24

Quote:
Yup....Randy Frye Logging cleared the back lot so we could get a view of the mountains........did a nice job.
As for the car wash....not a bad idea, only it'll probably be me that's wiping down the cars
SAMIAM, it would have to be you that would wipe the cars, if you wanted to make any money. The overhead for that type of service in an area like the lakes region (read, not many people looking to pay for that level of service) would be rediculous. You would have to charge $100 per car just to keep the lights on. Not to mention the startup costs, the reclaim systems required in this state are not cheap to buy or operate.

Cate, you need to remember that you are coming to a state that has less people living in it, than a good portion of the towns in your state. The amount of volume that those services see in your area in a month would take a year up here. The costs for everything is going to be higher up here than NJ. All I can say is good luck, but if the style and price of a car wash is getting your goat, then you may have a tough sled up here. Wait until you get your first fuel oil fill up, then after the you pay that $900 bill, figure on 3-4 more coming down the pike.

I always laugh when I see folks paying for the expensive washes during the middle of winter. Give it a rinse every once in a while to keep the salt down until the spring melt is done, because you will never keep up with it.

Uno's in Concord with run your through the fully automated wash with a Deluxe scrub for $12, that will clean the outside, the rest is up to you. If you give them a $2 tip as you pull in they will spray your rims and salt line with a fantastic solution.

Now Cate, I don't want to come across as harsh or looking down on you(because to each their own), but we are different folks up here when it comes to the cushy side of life. There are certainly places in the state for those that are looking for that lifestyle and all the power to them, like WD was talking about. Have you had a chance to spend a full winter up here yet. I know you said you were originally from NE, but I am not talking about a Southern NH or Southofthat winter. I am talking about a Central NH, snowbanks taller than your car from November into April, winter. I know you spend a good amount of time during our pretty seasons, but you have to live through our ugly season in order to really enjoy life up here.

Life up here doesn't require much, it is pretty good the way it is.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #26
SIKSUKR

Not to be Dougie downer here Cate but I find I choose to wash my car very little in winter. In my mind I don't like paying for a wash and by the time I get home its already dirty. You will find the road conditions quite different here with melting snow almost always somewhere on the road. Yup, 5 seconds behind a car throwing up salty runoff and there goes your newly washed $10. I might clean mine 4 times in the winter. Your mileage may vary.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #27
CateP

Default General Reply

• I lived in Maine for 10 years and know what winter is like.
  • I have lived in NE most of my life.
  • I went to the New Hampton School... during the winter.
  • My family had a house in Melvin Village that I used year-round.
  • Everything up here is NOT more expensive than NJ, in fact quite the opposite.
  • It is not illegal to pump your own gas in NJ.
  • I took a boat ride around Wolfeboro and Alton last week and saw many a waterfront mansion. I would beg to differ that there is no "cushy life" up here.
  • I have never washed my car in the lakes region so pardon my ignorance about what is available. As I said before, I will adapt to car wash conditions. It's not that big a deal.
  • Please don't assume that just because I am moving from NJ that I have a certain attitude, expectations or life style. That would be stereotyping.

Last edited by CateP; 08-24-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Added bullet points
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #28
jmen24

No hard feeling Cate, I can only speak for myself, but I did not mean any harm in my post. Things are the way they are around here. Enjoy your time here, sounds like you got lots of experience in the area. Happy house hunting.

My expensive comment came from the perspective of running a business in a seasonal area, not really the cost of living, that's relative.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #29
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default When will you be moving to NH?

CateP - When will you be moving to NH? Are you still just looking? How much more research on the lake region towns do you need to do?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #30
CateP

Moosetracks--I will be moving to Wolfeboro as soon as I sell my house in NJ. (hoping by October at the latest) I have been researching the lakes region as a place to relocate since the summer of 2009. I have been seriously researching towns since the summer of 2010. For various reasons I have chosen Wolfeboro over Gilford or Meredith (previous choices).

I've been sharing my story on the forum since January of this year.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #31
Lakepilot

Relative to the original thread, I too have not had very good luck with the Wolfeboro car wash. It is by far the worst one I've ever used. I too wish there was something better in town.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #32
Pineedles

Hi Cate,

You got to see Centre Harbor dring the FF, although I still don't know who you are in the picture despite your description, but just a few yards over the border into Moultonborough is a great car wash on Rt. 25. Also a great area to live. Access to wonderful restaurants, stepping off area to the White Mountain area and all teh outlets in N. Conway, great antiquing in the Sandwich area, etc, etc.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #33
CGI3

"If there is not a car wash with towel guys (Mexican immigrants where I currently live)
Cate, get used to it, there are no Mexican immigrants (or very few) in the Lakes Region. Your going to have to pay full price for all your labor costs. Carwashing, house cleaning, landscaping, roofing, painting..etc. etc.etc.
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGI3 For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #34
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Hi Cate,

You got to see Centre Harbor dring the FF, although I still don't know who you are in the picture despite your description, but just a few yards over the border into Moultonborough is a great car wash on Rt. 25. Also a great area to live. Access to wonderful restaurants, stepping off area to the White Mountain area and all teh outlets in N. Conway, great antiquing in the Sandwich area, etc, etc.
I love it up in Center Harbor. Definitely a destination. I have new friends in Plymouth and old friends in Gilford. I will be going to the Huskies games at New Hampton too so I will be out and about in the region. That's why I want to move here. It's not about one town, but the whole area!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #35
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Only a Couple of Amusing "CateP Quotes"

"...car wash with towel guys (Mexican immigrants where I currently live)".

"Please don't assume that just because I am moving from NJ that I have a certain attitude, expectations or life style. That would be stereotyping."

"Does Wolfeboro have a reputation for being wealthy and elitist?"

"I really don't mean to try to stereotype Wolfeboro residents. That was wrong of me and I apologize. I am sure there are all kinds of wonderful people in the area and I will just have to get to know them."

Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #36
GsChinadoll

Default She wasn't really complaining!

Cate,
I hardly ever wash my car. Maybe every two years! A crusty base layer protects the car from all the salt and sand. A good tropical storm and a short drive behind a tractor/trailer truck and it's nice and clean! I think from reading all of your posts, that you don't sweat the small stuff and can more than handle yourself up here. I don't know about handling some of the testy people in the forum though!
CateP (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #37
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsChinadoll View Post
Cate,
I hardly ever wash my car. Maybe every two years! A crusty base layer protects the car from all the salt and sand. A good tropical storm and a short drive behind a tractor/trailer truck and it's nice and clean! I think from reading all of your posts, that you don't sweat the small stuff and can more than handle yourself up here. I don't know about handling some of the testy people in the forum though!
Ha. Ha. I was the same way when I lived in Maine. I NEVER washed my car...but soon found out the salt and sand was doing a number on the body (which actually had a lot of metal on it, not the plastic we see now). I think I could have kept my car longer if I had washed it more and tried to protect it from the elements.

My last car, a 1998 Subaru Forester, had 220K miles on it when I sold it and I took better care of it. I just got my 2008 Subaru Forester last year and it's the nicest car I have owned and I want to keep it for years and years to come. That is why I am hoping to find a good car wash or figure out how I can do the kind of car care I want to do to make it last.

BTW-that $12 full-service car wash in NJ is in a really sketchy part of town and always makes me feel a little nervous being there. So I'm not going to miss it much at all.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #38
sa meredith

Default old thread...

A while back there was a thread...something like: "What do we need/want in lakes region, that is lacking"...and we now have the answer.
More Mexicans!
I'll take a few...they can clean the car, learn all aspects of upkeep for the boat, stack my firewood, run the 2 #40 propane tanks into town, do some light cooking, hell...do the driving...do Mexicans do laundry? Probably...
Give me a half dozen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (08-25-2011), CGI3 (08-26-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #39
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Moosetracks--I will be moving to Wolfeboro as soon as I sell my house in NJ. (hoping by October at the latest) I have been researching the lakes region as a place to relocate since the summer of 2009. I have been seriously researching towns since the summer of 2010. For various reasons I have chosen Wolfeboro over Gilford or Meredith (previous choices).

I've been sharing my story on the forum since January of this year.
Did you buy something in Wolfeboro? I thought from all your posts you just rented there for a few weeks? If so congrats!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #40
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Did you buy something in Wolfeboro? I thought from all your posts you just rented there for a few weeks? If so congrats!
I am renting now and put an offer in on a house in Wolfeboro.

Hope my NJ shore house is there when I return to NJ next week.

Last edited by CateP; 08-26-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #41
lawn psycho

The best and closest true full service detailing service is Portland Detailing.
http://www.portlanddetailing.com/

It's $195 and the do the wheel wells, etc. They do Ferraris and similar cars and I had them do Mustang. From Wolfeboro they are way closer than Nashua, etc.

The way I have preserved all my cars is every spring I put my vehicles on stands and use a pressure washer to get all the grit off the under carriage. That calcium products used today actually pull moisture from air and creates non stop corrosion if you don't get it off the car. After doing three cars every year I have several dust pans full of grit to sweep off driveway when done. Make you understand why so many cars have rusted frames in 10 years or less.

If you go to Fox Run mall the car was in Newimgton is decent for quickie wash.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #42
KBoater

Default Trites

Check out the various washing options at Trites in Wolfeboro. The prices vary according to need. Many folks in town use the in the winter. Also check the paper for coupons.
CateP (08-26-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #43
diz

Quote:
  • I lived in Maine for 10 years and know what winter is like.
  • I have lived in NE most of my life.
  • I went to the New Hampton School... during the winter.
  • My family had a house in Melvin Village that I used year-round.
  • Everything up here is NOT more expensive than NJ, in fact quite the opposite.
  • It is not illegal to pump your own gas in NJ.
  • I took a boat ride around Wolfeboro and Alton last week and saw many a waterfront mansion. I would beg to differ that there is no "cushy life" up here.
  • I have never washed my car in the lakes region so pardon my ignorance about what is available. As I said before, I will adapt to car wash conditions. It's not that big a deal.
  • Please don't assume that just because I am moving from NJ that I have a certain attitude, expectations or life style. That would be stereotyping.
Sorry, I had to get the answer to this because we have family in NJ and I was curious about the answer. (And because I'm the one who made the original comment.) Wikipedia says it is illegal to pump your own gas in NJ:

All stations in New Jersey and Oregon offer only full service and mini service; attendants are required to pump gas because customers are barred by statutes in both states from pumping their own gas. New Jersey banned self-service gasoline in 1949 after lobbying by service station owners. Proponents of the ban cite safety and jobs as reasons to keep the ban.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filling_station
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #44
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

We had this discussion on here quite some time ago.

We have a friend whose father was the person who forced the law to make it illegal to pump gas in NJ. He wanted to have self serve gas stations and the state wouldn't allow it. So as part of the legal agreement NJ could never allow self serve without a large payment of money to him or his heirs. I guess they don't want to pay, so would rather stay full service.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #45
tis

http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine..._it_yours.html

We had a neighbor who is the daughter of Irving Rheingold. Roni mentioned in the story was her sister. According to our neighbor the state will have to pay a hefty sum to their family if NJ ever lifts it's ban on self serve.

This is from the archives from this forum. I can't seem to make the url ? work though. It seems like it is gone.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #46
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers View Post
Tyco? They shut that facility down ages ago. The one in the industrial park next to timberland. My wife worked there at one point. I grew up in Exeter.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #47
GM doc

Default Ossipee

There is a new car wash building going up on rt16 just South of the Hannafords, across from the Citgo gas station.
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #48
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
Sorry, I had to get the answer to this because we have family in NJ and I was curious about the answer. (And because I'm the one who made the original comment.) Wikipedia says it is illegal to pump your own gas in NJ:

All stations in New Jersey and Oregon offer only full service and mini service; attendants are required to pump gas because customers are barred by statutes in both states from pumping their own gas. New Jersey banned self-service gasoline in 1949 after lobbying by service station owners. Proponents of the ban cite safety and jobs as reasons to keep the ban.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filling_station
I stand corrected. It just seemed absurd to me to have a law like that.
But I guess it's no stranger than the NH law about not being able to sell the clothes you are wearing to settle a gambling debt
Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #49
SAMIAM

That law was put in place due to union demands........it is very costly to provide attendants at every pump in the state but that's what they do.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #50
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
it is very costly to provide attendants at every pump in the state but that's what they do.
It also provides hundreds or thousands of jobs, which is a good thing in this day and age.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #51
tis

It was Irving Reingold who created the crisis that led to the law banning self-serve gasoline. Reingold, a workaholic who took time out only to fly his collection of World War II fighter planes, started the crisis by doing something gas station owners hated: He lowered prices. Fifty-one years ago, gas was selling at 21.9 cents a gallon.
Reingold decided to offer the consumer a choice by opening up a 24-pump gas station on Route 17 in Hackensack. He offered gas at 18.9 cents a gallon. The only requirement was that drivers pump it themselves. They didn't mind. They lined up for blocks.
The other gas station operators didn't like the competition. Someone tried shooting up Reingold's station. But he installed bulletproof glass, so the retailers looked for a softer target - the Statehouse. The Gasoline Retailers Association prevailed upon its pals in the Legislature to push through a bill banning self-serve gas. The pretext was safety, but the Hackensack fire chief had already told all who would listen that Reingold's operation was perfectly safe.
The bill sailed through in record time, despite the objections of everyone who cared about the public interest. Journalists howled. "Chalk up another victory for the organized pressure groups," said WOR radio commentator Lyle Van.
Prices went back up. Reingold got out of gas and moved on to other endeavors, such as revolutionizing the sport-fishing business in Florida with boats that were bigger and more luxurious than anyone had seen. He died two years ago. His daughter Roni told me that on his deathbed he was still angry about the way the politicians ran him out of business. It's amazing that New Jersey consumers could still be suffering in the Internet era from a crooked deal that went through in the pre-television era. Amazing but true. We're now paying more than $1.40 a gallon for gas, but a before-tax comparison with Pennsylvania prices shows that New Jersey drivers could be paying as little as $1.20 a gallon if the state government hadn't rigged the market in favor of the retailers.
Friedman chuckled at other arguments politicians of both parties use to justify the current system. Whitman argues that thousands of jobs would be lost under self-serve. Furnari argues that small stations would go out of business. But both politicians insist prices would increase.
That violates every rule of economics, said Friedman. If prices increased, there would be no need for jobs to be lost or stations to go out of business. The real effect of self-service would be the one the politicians tried to prevent in 1949 - prices would drop. That in turn would lead to some loss of jobs and the elimination of some inefficient businesses. But that's how the free market works: to benefit the consumer.
''Of course, that's the usual pattern - using consumer protection as the excuse for preventing competition," says Friedman.
So there you have it. For us consumers, the gas pumps may be full-service. But when it comes to making sure the politicians protect their profits, the lobbyists are always helping themselves

Here is the story.