Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
Parker Island Fun

Default New to island living

Newbies of island living here, looking for recomendations for reliable vendors in the Wolfeboro area. Barge services, propane refills, other odds and ends, any housework cleaners in the area? Are there types of serivces that we may need to investagte that most flatlanders would overlook? Finally any idea on when Wolfeboro Bay will be clear? We're hoping to spend easteron the island any shot at that?
Parker Island Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Default ...welcome to the big lake!

Wow, that's some nice location out on Parker Island. Sorry, cannot help with any recommendations except for the new Wolfeboro Wal-Mart which hasn't been built, last I heard, yet. Wolfeboro, about 28 miles away from Meredith by the east side roads, is basically a foreign country to Meredith. It even uses a different Verizon phone book so that indicates a different geograhic-economic area. Say, did you hear about the big big Donzi that crashed at high speed into a Parker Island rock breakwater in 1997 or so.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Bear Islander

Welcome to the islands!

I can't help you with any Wolfeboro services, I am on Bear at the other end of the lake.

My guess is the ice will be out by Easter, but don't quote me.

One of the things about island living is trying to explain your situation. People can't understand that you can live on an island without, bridges, roads, ferries, stores etc.

Parker Island is beautiful, congratulations.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Island Fun
Newbies of island living here, looking for recomendations for reliable vendors in the Wolfeboro area. Barge services, propane refills, other odds and ends, any housework cleaners in the area? Are there types of serivces that we may need to investagte that most flatlanders would overlook?
These would have been ideal questions to ask of the prior owner and real estate agent prior to your purchase.

That being said, there is a website, albeit a new incarnation, for Wolfeboro that should provide answers for your questions. http://www.wolfeboro.us/

You are indeed in a good location and should have many memorable experiences.

Best wishes for your adventures at the Lake.

This might be a nice investment:

Last edited by GWC...; 03-23-2006 at 06:49 PM.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Parker Island Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
These would have been ideal questions to ask of the prior owner and real estate agent prior to your purchase.

That being said, there is a website, albeit a new incarnation, for Wolfeboro that should provide answers for your questions. http://www.wolfeboro.us/

You are indeed in a good location and should have many memorable experiences.

Best wishes for your adventures at the Lake.

Thanks, we did ask prior to buying and everyone has been very helpful. just thought those who are active on the islands could have a fresh prespective.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
islander10

Default house cleaning

Hi,
Welcome to the lake. Parker Island is beautiful!
I have a place on Sleepers and clean house for my girlfriend. I
have never done it as a profession.......except as a domestic goddess.
What would you be looking for as far as cleaning?
Let me know if you might be interested.
Islander10
islander10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
GWC...

With regards to Easter and ice-out, perhaps one of these or a friendly ride in one to your Island will allow for a joyous beginning.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Wink Easter Island?

Howdy neighbor! Congratulations on your new home and welcome to the forum. Island living is the best!
If complete ice-out hasn’t happened by April 16th, it is possible that The Broads just might be open.
Use of Ames Farm for put in might be in order. Keep in mind, there may be iceberg’s to deal with!
(Flyguy of Lakes Region Aerial Photography posted some amazing ones in 2004, but they seem to be gone now. )
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Great Thread to Check Out

Things I Learned at the Lake
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
DREAMS

Default Island Services Available..

Welcome to your new home on the most beautiful lake in the world!

If you are in need of repair, maintenance, construction and property management services you might want to contact a local company specializing in those services:
Lake Winnipesaukee Island Property Management @ 603-253-7091 .

They specialize in servicing island customers.

Did you by chance purchase the entire island. I remember the realestate showed the option of purchase one of the two parcels on the island seperately. You have a super spot for sure! Great place for entertainment and wedding parties!
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #11
Parker Island Fun

Default thanks for your ideas.

yes we have the whole island, www.parkerisland.com
Old 04-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
Dog's Ear

Default Property featured in The Week

Did you know your property was featured in THE WEEK magazine? They feature a page or two of unique homes for sale each week. I believe yours was part of their island homes features. I wish I had saved it.
Dog's Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
Bear Islander

Quote:
yes we have the whole island, www.parkerisland.com
I predict that friends and relatives are going to start being very nice to you. They might even drop hints about when they will be free this summer.

The good news is that when you live on an island most people can't "drop in".
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
I predict that friends and relatives are going to start being very nice to you. They might even drop hints about when they will be free this summer.
They might drop hints about being free this Summer; but at $14,000 per week, the island will not be free, by any stretch of the imagination.

http://www.parkerislandonline.com/Rental_Info.html
Old 04-04-2006, 06:04 AM   #15
secondcurve

Congratulations on your purchase. That looks like a wonderful property. I only wish I could be so lucky!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:09 AM   #16
Grant

Glad your site mentions the good diving around the island. Actually, there are good sites on both the "bay" and Broads sides. On the Broads side, there is a nice rock wall -- lots of fish and some great geology. On the bay side, it's a little less interesting topography, but tons of fish (and far less boat traffic). Dive Winnipesaukee anchors there occasionally.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:10 AM   #17
TomC

Default Are we allowed to use the General Discussion forum...

...to point people interested in the Lakes Region to rental properties? I don't want to rain on anybody's parade here, but the exposure of the forum vs the classifieds would be desirable. If so I,and likely many others with property to rent, would like to do the same..
TomC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:16 AM   #18
Grant

Maybe there's a need for a "Marketplace" section...with sub-sections for rentals, boats for sale, slips for lease, etc. Ask Don. A few of the dive forums I frequent have them, and people sell/trade everything from new & used gear to trips to rentals and live-aboard trips. It keeps the "commerce" threads out of the general discussion and topical threads.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #19
Vision2000

Thumbs down Price for Parker Island?

What was the asking price for the entire Island and all structures? We are curious as we are trying to find a similar property in the Wolfeboro - Alton area. Also, what have the property taxes been on this property over the last five years?

Thank you in advance for sharing this market data! Good Luck with your new property, it looks wonderful. Do you intend on continuing to rent it out or will you use it primarily for your own useage?
Vision2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #20
Parker Island Fun

Default thanks for all the nice comments. one other question

how or where do you get 100 lbs. propane tanks refilled or supplied?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #21
Parker Island Fun

Default we love to dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Glad your site mentions the good diving around the island. Actually, there are good sites on both the "bay" and Broads sides. On the Broads side, there is a nice rock wall -- lots of fish and some great geology. On the bay side, it's a little less interesting topography, but tons of fish (and far less boat traffic). Dive Winnipesaukee anchors there occasionally.

we found the about the island from Dive Winnipesaukee. we love to dive and hope to explore it all. come dive with us!
Old 04-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #22
lakershaker

Thumbs up

Quote:
how or where do you get 100 lbs. propane tanks refilled or supplied?
Call George Randall at Randall Maintenance - 253-7042. He takes a propane truck out on a barge each spring to fill tanks.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #23
Island-Ho

Default 100 lb Tank Delivery

George will also deliver full 100 lb tanks and take away the empties. He can also help with small repairs.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #24
dpg

Step 1: Sell on the island.
Step 2: Buy on the "land."
Step 3: Get in your car and go where you want, when you want.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:51 AM   #25
Orion

Default no thanks

DPG, sounds like you've never experienced the advantages of island living. I wouldn't trade it for mainland for anything. There may be some drawbacks, but to me, the advantages far outweigh them. I've never not been able to go wherever I want to whenever I wanted.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:34 AM   #26
hazelnut

Thumbs up Not for everyone

Admittedly Island Living is not for everyone. With that said I have had the privledge of experiencing both. We used to have mainland waterfront and now we have Island Waterfront. I can honestly say that Island Living is a whole different ballgame. Though not without a few downsides it is truly the best experience for me. Island Living is so detached from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. No cars, no traffic, trips to the store are a nice boat ride. Neighbors pitch in to help one another whenever a need arises. Boating on those questionable days when the lake is empty (because the mainlanders mostly stay off the lake in rain.) Some days I have felt like I have the whole lake to myself. It truly is a great and satisfying experience, just think we begin and end every weekend with a boat ride. Nothing can compare.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #27
Misty Blue

Default Island living

Welcome Parker Island Fun! Your gonna love it. What a place!

Do be careful though. Parker Island is known for some of the roughest and most dangerous weather on the Lake.

I recall a coupple of snowmobilers who got stuck on the island a few years ago and had to be picked up by the FD.

As for island living I wouldn't know but Pine Ialand Guy is one of my oldest friends and he and I have talked about "things" islanders need to remember.

Have a full tool box with extra screws, nets, bolts , etc. Have a "hide a key" on your car. It's a long way back to the island when you have left the keys on the kitchen counter. Things like that.

Any way, welcome and good luck. And, by the way, PIG and I will take you up on the diving, I got a seaqdoo seacoter for Christmas!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:52 AM   #28
Cobalt 232

Default Take your time leaving the Island

Last summer as I approached Route 93 at Exit 23 it dawned on me I did not have my cell phone or wallet, ouch. So I turned around at 9 pm on a Sunday evening. Drove back through Meredith up thru Center Harbor down Moultonboro Neck Road over Long Island back to my boat. Agh nothing on the boat. Well to make a long story short my bag containing these items was on still on the dock back on Cow Island. Needless to say haste truly made waste that day. Since I had to be to a meeting on Monday morning it made for a very long night. On the bright side the sky was crystal clear and it was a beautiful boat ride to and from the docks.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:18 AM   #29
Orion

Default checklists

As a former pilot I have learned the value of checklists. The only one I really use now is the pre-departure checklist I have before I leave the island. I got burned once leaving something there so I ALWAYS run through this list before heading to mainland. Haven't forgotten anything since and I'm never sitting in the office wondering if I shut off; closed; left; ......?

BTW, the checklist gets more valuable as you get older!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:15 AM   #30
jkjoshuatree

Talking Checklists Are A Great Idea

I'm sure there are many of us island folk who have forgotten their wallet/keys/pocketbook etc. over the years.

A family friend actually had a very pretty wooden sign made into a big checklist (turn off electricity, empty fridge under the house, don't forget keys, etc.) with little peg holes next to each item where a peg could be inserted after the task was done.

It's hanging in our kitchen and can't be missed.

Something similiar might help you ParkerIsland. Good luck!!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #31
Parker Island Fun

Default love to have you over this summer and check out the sccoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
Welcome Parker Island Fun! Your gonna love it. What a place!

Any way, welcome and good luck. And, by the way, PIG and I will take you up on the diving, I got a seaqdoo seacoter for Christmas!

Misty Blue
any time this summer we can check out the scooter.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:22 AM   #32
Grant

Quote:
we found the about the island from Dive Winnipesaukee. we love to dive and hope to explore it all. come dive with us!
Small world.

Just last summer, we were anchored off Parker with DWC and the intrepid Captain Scott gave us a little Parker history and said that the place was still empty. Alas, I'd left my checkbook on shore...

My dad told me about some guy back in the 50s who ran his speed boat aground on the Broads side of the island. Apparently he was a little toasted, and it was night, etc.

I believe my first Winnipesaukee dive was on the Broads side of Parker -- where there's the big rock wall. It was one of DWC's Friday night charters. Good fun.