Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
GaryA

Default Hotel or Inn with dockage... Recommendations??

Hello all,
My family and I are looking to get a quick couple of days on the Lake,usually rent for a week (no time or money this year)...
Any suggestions?? looking at; Center Harbor inn, Sandy Point, BaySide Inn
Thanks for your help!
Gary
GaryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Rinkerfam

Take a look at the Inn At Smith Cove in Gilford. My wife and I spent a weekend there and really enjoyed it. They have a dock for guests.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
ironhorsetim

Red face rooms??dockage yes

Don't know the quality of the rooms but the margate "I believe"comes with dockage

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
katiesmom

Try the Bay Side Inn on 11d in alton about 5 mins from Sandy Point. Just rented a house on 11d and I never knew it was there my aunt stayed there and said it was great. It's really cute and you can do either hotel type room or apt type room. There was vacancy there last week not sure about now but surely worth a try. Good Luck
katiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
lfm

Thumbs up Channel Cottages

We stay at Channel Cottages and always have a great time. The cottages are simple but very well maintained. They seem to get better every year!
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
GaryA

Wow...
thanks for for all the ideas!
Gary
GaryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
SAUGUS BOATER

Thumbs down Inn At Smith Cove

I wouldn't recommend Inn At Smith Cove. My wife and I stayed there about a year ago and had to leave early we were so unhappy. When we checked in there was only one other room occupied besides ours. The next day, my father and brother came up to visit for the day. It rained all day and my dad and brother were on motorcycles. Being that the inn was 95% empty, I figured we'd rent another room for them to stay and give the owners a little extra business. The next morning we went out for a boat ride and came back 2 hours late for checkout time. Being that the inn was mostly empty, we didn't think it was a big deal. Well, It was a big deal. The man who owns the inn read us the riot act about missing checkout time. I felt really bad about this and offered to pay for the extra day. This wasn't good enough for the owner, he continued yelling at us, and treated us like crap for the rest of our stay. He said that we cost him a regular who had reserved that particular room for his stay. Since he couldn't have his "regular" room he canceled his whole stay. I understand why he did this, but I dont understand why the owner would give us this particular room when the whole rest of the Inn was empty. Anyway, I paid the extra night and spent the rest of my vacation angry. I finally ended up leaving early just so I wouldn't have to look at these people and listen to them whine anymore.

Incidentally, I noticed the owners watching us out their window the whole the whole time we were there. This really creeped me out.
SAUGUS BOATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUGUS BOATER View Post
I wouldn't recommend Inn At Smith Cove. My wife and I stayed there about a year ago and had to leave early we were so unhappy. When we checked in there was only one other room occupied besides ours. The next day, my father and brother came up to visit for the day. It rained all day and my dad and brother were on motorcycles. Being that the inn was 95% empty, I figured we'd rent another room for them to stay and give the owners a little extra business. The next morning we went out for a boat ride and came back 2 hours late for checkout time. Being that the inn was mostly empty, we didn't think it was a big deal. Well, It was a big deal. The man who owns the inn read us the riot act about missing checkout time. I felt really bad about this and offered to pay for the extra day. This wasn't good enough for the owner, he continued yelling at us, and treated us like crap for the rest of our stay. He said that we cost him a regular who had reserved that particular room for his stay. Since he couldn't have his "regular" room he canceled his whole stay. I understand why he did this, but I dont understand why the owner would give us this particular room when the whole rest of the Inn was empty. Anyway, I paid the extra night and spent the rest of my vacation angry. I finally ended up leaving early just so I wouldn't have to look at these people and listen to them whine anymore.

Incidentally, I noticed the owners watching us out their window the whole the whole time we were there. This really creeped me out.
Nice customer service! I just don't understand people at all sometmes- especially those in the hospitality and restaurant industry!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorsetim View Post
Don't know the quality of the rooms but the margate "I believe"comes with dockage

I was going to attend a rally and stay at the Margate. I seem to remember their Dockage rates were around $70 a day. I'd have to look it up again, but it was quite high.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Phantom

Unless they recently revised their policy, you are ABSOLUTELY correct VtSteve. I remember looking into the Margate for friends of ours not too long ago and seem to remember $100/nite for the slip ----- Truely outragious in my humble opinion.

Perhaps it's a way for them to discourage boaters from staying, if so -- It worked for me !
Old 08-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
ironhorsetim

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I was going to attend a rally and stay at the Margate. I seem to remember their Dockage rates were around $70 a day. I'd have to look it up again, but it was quite high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Unless they recently revised their policy, you are ABSOLUTELY correct VtSteve. I remember looking into the Margate for friends of ours not too long ago and seem to remember $100/nite for the slip ----- Truely outragious in my humble opinion.

Perhaps it's a way for them to discourage boaters from staying, if so -- It worked for me !
Holy cow You would think with the price of rooms being what they are they'd throw in the dockspace for free I knew there was a charge but...

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
Waterbaby

Thumbs down Margate comes with dockage -- for a large fee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorsetim View Post
Hubby and I stayed there a number of years ago with FIL and his SO, and yes, we could dock the boat there -- at the rate of $50 a nite, and this was some 15 years ago. I can only imagine the rate has risen since then....... Wasn't at all impressed with the Margate at that time, and have heard things haven't changed much since then. I know there is at least one other thread on the subject under General Discussion.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #14
Waterbaby

Thumbs up Barton's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryA View Post
Hello all,
My family and I are looking to get a quick couple of days on the Lake,usually rent for a week (no time or money this year)...
Any suggestions?? looking at; Center Harbor inn, Sandy Point, BaySide Inn
Thanks for your help!
Gary
I highly recommend Barton's Motel in Laconia -- not the fanciest place around by any means, but who needs fancy when you're at the Lake for the Lake and not the room? They are very very clean, rooms are spacious enough so you don't feel crowded even with 4 in a room and accompanying luggage; shower water is hot and the water pressure is awesome! (That's coming from someone with a slow-producing well, lol) There's even a fabulous diner across the street -- Paugus Bay Diner, with great food and friendly staff, good prices and quick service! (OK, now I've sold myself, I need a return to Barton's and the diner, ).

Best of luck to you with your mini-vaca!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #15
SAUGUS BOATER

Default place to stay with dockage

While I have never stayed here personally, a very trusted friend often stays at Christmas Island Resort. He says they have dockage, and that it's a great place to stay. It's on paugus Bay and I think they have a website. I'm probably going to try this place myself sometime soon, i'll let you know how it is.
SAUGUS BOATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #16
fatlazyless

Here's www.centerharborinn.com, which is located in, you guessed it, Center Harbor, on the water and has a number of docks. I see various bass boat trailers parked on their lawn up by the road, from time to time. Must be fish'n for bass or something, ya know?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #17
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUGUS BOATER View Post
While I have never stayed here personally, a very trusted friend often stays at Christmas Island Resort. He says they have dockage, and that it's a great place to stay. It's on paugus Bay and I think they have a website. I'm probably going to try this place myself sometime soon, i'll let you know how it is.

The Island is good, also -- however, be sure you have plenty of bumpers for your boat, and tie them well to your boat, not the dock. Docks are parallel to Paugus Bay, and kind of in an inlet, so the wakes get concentrated in there................ Boat can sustain some heavy damage if not well protected with the bumpers. If you visit, be sure to eat in the restaurant and ask for the GRILLED prime rib -- especially if Tony is cooking that night!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #18
Rinkerfam

SAUGUS BOATER...
Sorry to hear about your stay. My wife and I visited The Inn At Smith Cove back in the fall of '04. Perhaps things have changed since then. I can only hope that if there has been a marked change (not for the better) that the owners see your post and take stock in it.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:25 AM   #19
bassetmom

Thumbs up

Hi. I know you have already had lots of replies, but in spite of previous negative comments on this forum, I HIGHLY recommend the NASWA. I have been going there for pretty much the past 17 years and have always had a great time. Also, there is no docking fee for guests. It is close to everything, and a great place to people watch when you're not out on the lake! Wherever you stay, enjoy your trip!!!
bassetmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #20
jean4

Default How about Silver Sands?

We have been staying at Silver Sands Motel in Gilford for over 13 years. They have a marina with slips for your boat. They are usually booked but you might luck out this summer because of the weather. There is also a pool that is heated. I would highly recommend this motel.
jean4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetmom View Post
Hi. I know you have already had lots of replies, but in spite of previous negative comments on this forum, I HIGHLY recommend the NASWA. I have been going there for pretty much the past 17 years and have always had a great time. Also, there is no docking fee for guests. It is close to everything, and a great place to people watch when you're not out on the lake! Wherever you stay, enjoy your trip!!!
Stayed there many moons ago, without a boat. I like the location, rates are pretty reasonable. The docks are also sheltered, a far cry from some of the choices up in Paugus Bay. Plus it has the dockside area, which many don't have. It was my first choice when I thought of a weekend or a wekk there.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #22
Pineedles

Default Colonial Pines

This place, Colonial Pines is actually in Moultonborough but in Center harbor Cove. Very nice couple run it and very family friendly.

http://www.cyberrentals.com/USA/New-...#unitAmenities
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote