Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Retired Ole Guy

Default Condo rules on pets

Hi all

Not sure if this is the right thread for this if not and the moderator moves it that's fine.

My Condo association is voting again on an issue regarding pets. At present we have a no pet rule which frankly I am comfortable with. If the group votes to change it I have no real heartache with it but I am curious as to how many other groups do or don't allow pets and if you do allow them what are the rules and do you require damage deposits for each pet.

It will be an issue since one of our members is trying to sell and he got his real estate agent to send a letter to all of us saying how they have lost 4 or 5 sales and our property values could be down by 20% because of it. The letter frosts me cause God forbid that the agent have to work harder to make a sale and since I have no intention of selling Dilligaf if my alleged property values are down by a mythical figure of 20 %. And if my family ever did decide to sell I can assure you that it will not be with that agent or firm.

Ok enough of a rant. Let me say that I have nothing against pets but I prefer they be left at home like I do with my two cats now.
Retired Ole Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

In a resort area, I believe a condo association is probably shooting itself in the foot having a no pet rule. Further more, with this economy a sale is hard enough to come by...

While I understand the desire for some developments to be pet free, I don't think it is entirely realistic...

Now I live in Ma. in a condo complex which allows animals... we are strict about our policies, regarding picking up do waste, and have made this process easier by supply dog was bags around the property..... we have very little problem, and when we do, the people are find, and usually the behavior improves.

I understand that not all people enjoy pets... but for those that do, the ability to have their family pet at there chosen vacation destination, is definately a deal breaker...
Old 08-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
camp guy

Default Condo rules on pets

This topic has the potential to produce a lot of comment, and, in general, each and every Condo Association stands on its own with respect to its own Rules and Policies regarding pets.

Some Associations take a blanket "no pets" policy and enforce it, in some cases, by having any perspective buyer read a hand-out Policy statement before signing a P & S Agreement which clearly explains the Association's policies with regard to pets.

Other Associations have taken a modified approach towards pets by allowing cats (to be kept inside, or outside on a leash), and dogs weighing up to 20 pounds (or some arbitrary equally low weight) which must be kept inside, or outside on a leash with an attendant (ie., not on a "run" or loose in a fenced area).

Some Towns have local ordinances which may supercede any provisions of a Condo Association.

Invariably, the 'weight' related criteria doesn't work and a lot of arguing takes place about "my dog is over the weight, but VERY friendly" .

Some Condos have followed policies adopting standards subscribed to by insurance companies regarding dogs (ie., NO pit bulls, NO German Shepards, or any other type of large, strong, potentially aggressive dog.

Then, just about the time you think you have a handle on the situation, grandfather clauses kick in, and service dog issues kick in, and a whole raft of other concerns.

So, like I first said, expect a whole bunch of answers.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
GM doc

Default Aggressive dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
This topic has the potential to produce a lot of comment, and, in general, each and every Condo Association stands on its own with respect to its own Rules and Policies regarding pets.

Some Associations take a blanket "no pets" policy and enforce it, in some cases, by having any perspective buyer read a hand-out Policy statement before signing a P & S Agreement which clearly explains the Association's policies with regard to pets.

Other Associations have taken a modified approach towards pets by allowing cats (to be kept inside, or outside on a leash), and dogs weighing up to 20 pounds (or some arbitrary equally low weight) which must be kept inside, or outside on a leash with an attendant (ie., not on a "run" or loose in a fenced area).

Some Towns have local ordinances which may supercede any provisions of a Condo Association.

Invariably, the 'weight' related criteria doesn't work and a lot of arguing takes place about "my dog is over the weight, but VERY friendly" .

Some Condos have followed policies adopting standards subscribed to by insurance companies regarding dogs (ie., NO pit bulls, NO German Shepards, or any other type of large, strong, potentially aggressive dog.

Then, just about the time you think you have a handle on the situation, grandfather clauses kick in, and service dog issues kick in, and a whole raft of other concerns.

So, like I first said, expect a whole bunch of answers.
I think pets are like kids, IF YOU care for them correctly, they will be fine. If you want them to be aggressive, well there is an app for that. Training (teaching) them is a different story. MY yellow lab "could" have been trained to be aggressive I think TRAINING~

You wanted the "Association" life. Any dog or cat can be aggressive. I will kick the snot out of it if it comes after me, Just keep your pet on a leash and there will be no problem.
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Retired Ole Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM doc View Post
I think pets are like kids, IF YOU care for them correctly, they will be fine. If you want them to be aggressive, well there is an app for that. Training (teaching) them is a different story. MY yellow lab "could" have been trained to be aggressive I think TRAINING~

You wanted the "Association" life. Any dog or cat can be aggressive. I will kick the snot out of it if it comes after me, Just keep your pet on a leash and there will be no problem.
Hmm have to agree with you on that. I have to say that in general an ill behaved pet is the result of an ill behaved owner.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
songkrai

"I think pets are like kids, IF YOU care for them correctly, they will be fine."

Now, how could any association write this rule?

Sadly, too many don't know how to train a dog. Too many don't know or care to train and dicipline a dog.

If this assciation does not presently have dogs then a guess would be that there is a majority to vote against pets/dogs. All bought in knowing a not pet/dog clause.

Then there is the multiple dog owner folks. One dog is not good enough. So a 2nd and 3rd dog comes about.

Most with dogs let them bark at random. Not a good selling point.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
kauriel

Our association is pretty reasonable in that it allows two pets with board approval and specifies that dogs must be leashed and cleaned up after. If pet becomes a problem board can withdraw permission for problematic pets/owners.

I have not heard of anyone being denied permission for pet and have seen all sorts of dogs of all sizes.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
NoBozo

I live in my Own house on my Own property. About a 1/3 of an acre. NO Condo for me. If I want 40 dogs....I can have them. 28 Cats..no problem. Being a Reasonable person..I have None. OH Wait: I have one 17 year old cat that harasses nobody.

If you want to live in a "Commune" (Remember the 60s..?) with other like minded...persons..growing your own veggies.......Fine..Just DON"T Whine when your like minded neighbors .......... OH, Never Mind. NB

PS: You remember "Boca Vista"..Phase Three....Don't you..??

Flashback: Seinfeld.

Last edited by NoBozo; 08-26-2012 at 06:28 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I live in my Own house on my Own property. About a 1/3 of an acre. NO Condo for me. If I want 40 dogs....I can have them. 28 Cats..no problem. Being a Reasonable person..I have None. OH Wait: I have one 17 year old cat that harasses nobody.

If you want to live in a "Commune" (Remember the 60s..?) with other like minded...persons..growing your own veggies.......Fine..Just DON"T Whine when your like minded neighbors .......... OH, Never Mind. NB

PS: You remember "Boca Vista"..Phase Three....Don't you..??

Flashback: Seinfeld.
I'm with ya' No Bozo. NO condo for me either. We do have friends though who live in a condo and they are allowed dogs less than 25 lbs.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Ole Guy View Post
Hmm have to agree with you on that. I have to say that in general an ill behaved pet is the result of an ill behaved owner.
Have to disagree with you on that one ROG........some dogs have been bred for fighting for so many generations that it is in their DNA to be aggressive.So many times we've read stories of certain breeds that turned on their owners or a family member.....and the story is always the same "I can't believe that my dog would hurt anyone......we raised him from a puppy and the baby used to ride on his back and play with his food dish"
You always hear this after some kid has been badly injured or killed by an aggressive breed.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default What can they do about it.

I rescued a female Rotweiler from a vet. She was dying of cancer with only a few months to live. She had no home. I took her in. The vet paid for all costs associated with the animal.
I had an email from the association stating 'No dogs over 20 lbs.' I wrote back 'What are you going to do about it?'. I haven't heard from them since.
Tha nerve of the association to send an email rather than confront me face to face.

So what do associations normally do if you infract the rules?
brk-lnt (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
It will be an issue since one of our members is trying to sell and he got his real estate agent to send a letter to all of us saying how they have lost 4 or 5 sales and our property values could be down by 20% because of it. The letter frosts me cause God forbid that the agent have to work harder to make a sale and since I have no intention of selling Dilligaf if my alleged property values are down by a mythical figure of 20 %. And if my family ever did decide to sell I can assure you that it will not be with that agent or firm.
The above hold true to any 55+ association with rules written more than a decade ago. 'The new 60 is 40' is the buzzward of the AARP crowd. Condos should adopt the rules to accomodate the 'baby boomers' not the 'Geritol' generation.
Many of the units that were for sale came off the market and became rental properties. Condo rules forbid rental units yet they do not take a stand fearing they will not get their fees. Money talks! A number of units fell into foreclosure and the lien for condo fees were waived. This hurt the association as many of the owners don't want to pay for the hit.
According to the realtors, the above scenario is caused be strict condo rules. The condo association was told time and time again to change the rules. The old fuddy duddies refused to listen.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Retired Ole Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Have to disagree with you on that one ROG........some dogs have been bred for fighting for so many generations that it is in their DNA to be aggressive.So many times we've read stories of certain breeds that turned on their owners or a family member.....and the story is always the same "I can't believe that my dog would hurt anyone......we raised him from a puppy and the baby used to ride on his back and play with his food dish"
You always hear this after some kid has been badly injured or killed by an aggressive breed.
Good Point Thank you
Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
Retired Ole Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I rescued a female Rotweiler from a vet. She was dying of cancer with only a few months to live. She had no home. I took her in. The vet paid for all costs associated with the animal.
I had an email from the association stating 'No dogs over 20 lbs.' I wrote back 'What are you going to do about it?'. I haven't heard from them since.
Tha nerve of the association to send an email rather than confront me face to face.

Well in general we do what yours did HIDE, and I am sure that when push comes to shove we will waffle faster than you can say woof
Old 08-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
Retired Ole Guy

Quote:
The above hold true to any 55+ association with rules written more than a decade ago. 'The new 60 is 40' is the buzzward of the AARP crowd. Condos should adopt the rules to accomodate the 'baby boomers' not the 'Geritol' generation.
Many of the units that were for sale came off the market and became rental properties. Condo rules forbid rental units yet they do not take a stand fearing they will not get their fees. Money talks! A number of units fell into foreclosure and the lien for condo fees were waived. This hurt the association as many of the owners don't want to pay for the hit.
According to the realtors, the above scenario is caused be strict condo rules. The condo association was told time and time again to change the rules. The old fuddy duddies refused to listen.
Us old Fuddies average about 40-50 yrs of age. We did listen and I guess we didn't like what we heard,
Old 08-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Retired Ole Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I'm with ya' No Bozo. NO condo for me either. We do have friends though who live in a condo and they are allowed dogs less than 25 lbs.
I hear you but alas I cannot afford lake property any other way
Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
painthappy

Quote:

As someone who's adopted rotties over the years, that was great of you to do. It's such a sweet breed. Two of them sleep with my 8 year old every night on her bed.

This topic interests me as I'm currently looking to (finally) purchase a condo on the lake. I can easily get deed information through the realtors but finding association rules is like pulling teeth it seems. Maybe I'm going about it wrong, but I would like to bring my dogs so they don't have to be boarded as they currently are every time I head up and stay over on my boat.

Anyhow, on what they can do if you disobey the rules? It depends on what's in your association. If there is an association board, it will be taken up on them. If no board, usually it requires a formal written statement, and then if nothing you can be brought to court, and levied a fine (some stated amount per day). Each association is different so the rules will be different too, but expect something like that in the wording most likely.

Now, WILL someone do something? Most likely not. Where my house is, we have these rules but 80% of the people are breaking one thing or another. I can only imagine if someone tried to have dairy cows in their front yard something would happen, but beyond that, as long as the place is clean, quiet, and taken care of and not a bother to anyone else, no one will bother.
painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
GaryA

Default No Pets...

Quote:
Hi all

Not sure if this is the right thread for this if not and the moderator moves it that's fine.

My Condo association is voting again on an issue regarding pets. At present we have a no pet rule which frankly I am comfortable with. If the group votes to change it I have no real heartache with it but I am curious as to how many other groups do or don't allow pets and if you do allow them what are the rules and do you require damage deposits for each pet.

Ok enough of a rant. Let me say that I have nothing against pets but I prefer they be left at home like I do with my two cats now.

I'll chime in...
We we're lucky to have just purchased a condo/cottage at the lake!!!
I can tell you that the "No Dog Rule" definitely had an impact. We loved a couple places, right price point... but the no pets was a deal breaker.

In any case, we are thrilled to finally have a place on the lake!
Gary
GaryA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaryA For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (08-29-2012), Retired Ole Guy (08-29-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #19
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Cleaning Up

I have rental property on the lake and more than half of the tenants have dogs. Some owners are better than others about cleaning up after their pets. Every time I go to the property to mow the lawn or repair something I notice new piles. I knock on doors, ask again that they pick up after their pets, and every tenant insists it is not their dog. I have never seen a strange dog on the property and the propblem only started after tenants with dogs moved in.

So............I know of condo associations in Florida that DNA test the dog when it shows up and then DNA test any piles left behind to see who's dog is responsible. Then they hit the dog owner with a fine. Good plan?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #20
fpartri497

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I have rental property on the lake and more than half of the tenants have dogs. Some owners are better than others about cleaning up after their pets. Every time I go to the property to mow the lawn or repair something I notice new piles. I knock on doors, ask again that they pick up after their pets, and every tenant insists it is not their dog. I have never seen a strange dog on the property and the propblem only started after tenants with dogs moved in.

So............I know of condo associations in Florida that DNA test the dog when it shows up and then DNA test any piles left behind to see who's dog is responsible. Then they hit the dog owner with a fine. Good plan?

Its probbaly Illegal
Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
Retired Ole Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
Its probbaly Illegal
I can just see the CSI ramifications. A real Whodopooh thriller
Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
Happy Gourmand

Default Rental property

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

I have some apartments in Nashua. I no longer allow dogs. When I did allow them, there was always some kind of animal damage when tenants moved out, and of course, other tenants complained about barking and droppings on the lawn that the owners wouldn't clean up. I own a dog myself. or should I say that I am owned by one.....
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

It is too bad a few spoil it for all, as usual.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
Its probbaly Illegal
Why would it be illegal?
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #25
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I have some apartments in Nashua. I no longer allow dogs. When I did allow them, there was always some kind of animal damage when tenants moved out, and of course, other tenants complained about barking and droppings on the lawn that the owners wouldn't clean up. I own a dog myself. or should I say that I am owned by one.....
Same issue here.
Sadly, most/all dog owners who are renters don't get it.
Their dog is "different".
I have allowed a dog once and a cat a different time.
Both cases there was damage.
Then their is the liability issue.
Who is held responsible for the actions of a dog on your rented property?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote