Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
billy l

Question Anchoring overnight ?

I know boating laws state that your not supposed to ancor overnight on any inland body of water. But do people do it and how strict are they about it ?
billy l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy l View Post
I know boating laws state that your not supposed to ancor overnight on any inland body of water. But do people do it and how strict are they about it ?
Unfortunately there are plenty of people that break all sorts of boating laws.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Scupper

Wink Roll the Dice

Funny you mention over night mooring. I saw M.P. tow a boat that was illegally moored overnight by the Long Island Bridge today. Wouldn't want to pay for that tow and storage fee.
Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Kamper

I don't think they'll tow an occupied boat unless the occupants are drunk. They'll yell at you, maybe cite you, and say don't get caught doing that on the lake again!

Some folks get away with it though. They find a quiet place where other (unoccupied) boats are moored and settle in. No lights and leave early. It's hard for the MP to know who's supposed to be there without getting close enough to look for the mooring ball. Parking in or near a channel will likely attract attention.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
jrc

It's not just the MP you need to worry about. Remember the lakefront property owners don't want you anchoring in front of their house. They can call the MP.

I've never tried the overnight thing but I've heard stories and a couple of them I believe.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I only saw a boat anchor overnight here two times (two different years). Surprisingly no one called MP. People just don't do it much I don't think.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

This is what is wrong with today's mentality... I know it is agianst the law, but I want to do it anyways....

Now I personally hate this law... I believe that most boaters, what not abuse the privilege of being able to spend a night at anchor.... And would not camp out in front of an occupied home...

However the fact is it is against the law... you are likely to get fined for doing it if you are caught...

What I suggest is that people get together, voice your opinion in numbers to some of the state legislatures and see if you can't change the law.... While on the smalller lakes this law is probably a good thing... Lake Winnipesaukee, is big enough, and has enough areas, where it could be done, that the law be restructured to allow it.... with provisions, that a boat moored over night needs to have bathroom facilities etc......
Grandpa Redneck (08-06-2012), Jonas Pilot (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default Night vision

From what I'm told the MP's have been equipped with night vision which allows them to see as clear as day at night and at a great distance.
Not sure where the money is coming from but from my understanding a lot of the boats have this and it is not cheap.
I'm with LIforrelaxin, why is there always someone willing to give boaters a bad name by doing what they know is wrong?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
What I suggest is that people get together, voice your opinion in numbers to some of the state legislatures and see if you can't change the law.... While on the smalller lakes this law is probably a good thing... Lake Winnipesaukee, is big enough, and has enough areas, where it could be done, that the law be restructured to allow it.... with provisions, that a boat moored over night needs to have bathroom facilities etc......
I agree I think this is one of MANY stupid laws, that aught to be removed from the books. Even on smaller lakes i don't see it being an issue, especially if you have facilities on board.

BUT until we can get it removed, it is the law and should be obeyed.
Broken Glass (08-06-2012), Jonas Pilot (08-06-2012), Newbiesaukee (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
tis

Actually I like this laws, though I don't like many. I would not like to see hundreds of boats anchoring overnight on the lake. As it is, too many people use the lake as their bathroom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (08-06-2012), SAB1 (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
SAB1

I'm with TIS here. This is a good law. The last thing that is needed is people throwing out a hook and crashing on the water overnite. Aside from the bathroom issue, how about the drunks or anyone else for that matter slammin into unlighted boats they didn't see. Marine patrol signs off around 12:30AM I think so how is good law and order be monitored out there. I dont think any waterfront owner is going to want 2 or 3 boats anchoring in front of their house and making a noise till who knows what hour of the night.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Belmont Resident

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Actually I like this laws, though I don't like many. I would not like to see hundreds of boats anchoring overnight on the lake. As it is, too many people use the lake as their bathroom.
TIS I was thinking the same thing today. There are way to many people in the world in general that have absolutely no respect or regard for anything.
This is evident by all the posts about violations people see on a regular basis when driving out on the lake.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default The laws need to be changed

If you study the laws, technically you can anchor overnight on the lake. But the boat cannot be a cabin cruiser with head and galley.

The MP will ask you to move or tell you cannot anchor overnight. If they arrest you and you have a boat without a head and galley, it can be thrown out of court.

They need to change the law to any and all boats cannot anchor between dusk and dawn.

I would like to see all boats that are to be occupied during the night on water must have a head. Regardless if at a slip, moored or anchored. If you want to anchor at night, approval from the abutting landowner would be mandatory.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
tis

Well I think you can anchor now if you have permission from the landowner.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
From what I'm told the MP's have been equipped with night vision which allows them to see as clear as day at night and at a great distance.
Not sure where the money is coming from but from my understanding a lot of the boats have this and it is not cheap.
I'm with LIforrelaxin, why is there always someone willing to give boaters a bad name by doing what they know is wrong?
They most likely have standard thermal IR cameras, which are anything but "clear as day". They could potentially see heat from people on boats. Less so if you are in the cabin, but rather easily if you were on the deck. Working range on an ~$15,000 camera would be around 1 mile, giving you the ability to see something with enough to detail, but more likely would be a unit with an ~1/2 mile range.

I have a couple of these cameras if you ever want to see what the images look like (note, the image is pretty much the same day or night, since it sees heat, not light. So you don't need to go out at 3AM to see how it works).
hig (08-27-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
no-engine

I was told long ago that the law came to be when a powerful legislator did not like boats off his lake property, and then law passed.

As kid on ocean in small harbors and coves, my parents and their friends anchored away from their regular mooring. There was no issue with land owners; people had respect for neighbors, other cruisers and land owners.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
NBR

I can see the point in the law. With all the Captain Bone Heads on Winni someone would anchor and not light an anchor light and boom!
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
Knomad

Per RSA 270-A:3: Where Overnight Mooring Prohibited. – No houseboat shall be beached or grounded, or tied to the shore of any of the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period or any part of an overnight period, except as permitted in RSA 270-A:2 or in cases of emergency. No houseboat shall be anchored on any of the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period or any part of an overnight period except as permitted in RSA 270-A:2 or in cases of emergency.

The definition of "Houseboat'' means any ship, boat, raft, float, catamaran or marine craft of any description upon or within which are located sleeping and toilet facilities, regardless of whether such facilities are of a permanent or temporary nature.

Note: Even if sleeping and toilet facilities are temporary (you have a porti-potie and are sleeping on the cockpit cushion, you are in violation. Also note, you must display the all around white anchor light even if you are just anchored looking at the stars.

RSA 270-A:2 addresses where Overnight Mooring Permitted. – A houseboat may be beached or grounded, or tied to the shore of any of the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only when on or at a location owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of the owner or operator of the houseboat or by permission of the owner, lessee, or person otherwise in control of such location. An unoccupied houseboat may be anchored on the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only in an area reasonably adjacent to a location owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of the owner or operator of the houseboat or by permission of the owner, lessee, or person otherwise in control of such location.

Note: There is no reference to "anchoring" in the above permitted mooring RSA.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knomad For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-27-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
RLW

Smile

billy l, I know that I'm 17 threads to late but I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. I see that many posters ahead of me say that many people break the law and it is a funny law, but it is a law and we should obey it until we as a collective group get it changed. I know that is time taking and many a time it is ignored by our elected politicians, but we just need to continue to fight that stupid law. Have fun in whatever you choose to do.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #20
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Unfortunately there are plenty of people that break all sorts of boating laws.
In the attached photo, a legally anchored boat is enjoying a late-afternoon "float". As the sun set, he moved away—for good.

The rocky lake bottom in that location is made in a natural "cobblestone" pattern—a very poor anchoring medium. If he had anchored overnight—and a storm came up—he could have damaged the adjacent dock or tangled with moored boats.
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #21
jrc

There's lot's of reasons people might be against boats anchoring overnight on Winnipesaukee. Personally I think it should be clearly legal and the problems dealt width like any other problem.

But inventing safety reasons, just shows either dishonesty or an ignorance of boating. Thousands of people anchor overnight safely on the seacoast and on the lakes of many other states. Even with prodigious Google skills, I doubt anyone can find reports of anchored boats causing damage to nearby docks or boats, short of hurricane conditions.

This is a public nusiance issue not a safety issue. Anytime two or more people gather together, eventually there will be a disagreement. The simple answer is always prevent people from gathering, Unfortuantely this is not always the best answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #22
Dave R

The lake bottom I've looked at is nothing like a "natural "cobblestone" pattern". It's incredibly variable, like the NH land above water, and offers great anchor holding in most places, if proper anchoring practices are used.
Dave R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #23
Bear Islander

Several years ago we had this same argument on the forum. Everyone agreed the law was badly written and open to interpretation. Members of the forum contacted the Marine Patrol and their answer was simple. You can't anchor overnight!

Sleeping and toilet facilities can mean anything they want it to mean including a bucket. Buckets were used as toilets for centuries.

And if you could win the "we don't have toilet facilities" argument the next question would be "where are you going to the bathroom?". The only possible answer is the lake and that is also illegal.

This is the perfect example of an argument you can't win.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
jrc

BI we should all agree that it is currently enforced as illegal and it would be fruitless to fight that. You cannot anchor overnight unless a law/rule is changed.

The discussion then turns to should this law/rule be changed. Sure we've had that discussion before, but forums are for discussion.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knomad View Post
RSA 270-A:2 addresses where Overnight Mooring Permitted. – A houseboat may be beached or grounded, or tied to the shore of any of the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only when on or at a location owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of the owner or operator of the houseboat or by permission of the owner, lessee, or person otherwise in control of such location. An unoccupied houseboat may be anchored on the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only in an area reasonably adjacent to a location owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of the owner or operator of the houseboat or by permission of the owner, lessee, or person otherwise in control of such location.
Funny, I had a run in with the marine patrol a few years ago on this. The lakefront owner gave me permission to anchor overnight as I was a guest. I slept on the shore so the boat was unoccupied. Yet the Marine Patrol gave us a summon because we did not have a mooring permit???????? The boat can only be anchored to a proper mooring? The lakefront owner paid the summons as he lives in CT and does not have the resources to contest in court.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #26
SIKSUKR

You can't anchor any boat overnight,occupied or not unless secured to a permited mooring.The MP was correct and would have been a waste of laywer fees anyway.I believe that the boat tag also has to match the one assigned to the mooring.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
BroadHopper

Default Discrepancies.

There is a lot of discrepancies and interpretation of the what is considered legal anchoring. Maybe someone should straighten out the legislature on what they want. (That would be a cold day in Hell)

I know a number of folks that do not have a legal mooring. I know a few that had their boat anchored on one end and tied to the shore on the other. For years, they did not get a fine. Most of them are on island property.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #28
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
... Maybe someone should straighten out the legislature on what they want. (That would be a cold day in Hell)...
They want to be re-elected.

Out with the kayak, I see lots of mooring weirdness, expired stickers, no stickers, underwater moorings (for submarines?), and never used moorings.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #29
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
They want to be re-elected.

Out with the kayak, I see lots of mooring weirdness, expired stickers, no stickers, underwater moorings (for submarines?), and never used moorings.
I've seen the same thing, but if the MP decides to come around and check they can cut the mooring, tow the boat at the owner's expense and I'm sure there is a fine to ice that cake. I understand that the MP does make the rounds checking so I guess it comes down to rolling the dice and is it really worth it?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #30
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
In the attached photo, a legally anchored boat is enjoying a late-afternoon "float". As the sun set, he moved away—for good.
The rocky lake bottom in that location is made in a natural "cobblestone" pattern—a very poor anchoring medium. If he had anchored overnight—and a storm came up—he could have damaged the adjacent dock or tangled with moored boats.
Name:  mooring picture_490x384.jpg
Views: 2041
Size:  27.0 KB
Was there a special purpose for taking the picture of that particular boat and then watching to see when it left?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #31
billy l

Thanks for all the input . The reason I ask is ive been going to paugus bay campground for years . Last year we upgraded our boat to a 23' cc. They have docks @ the campground but you have to go under the RR bridge and you can only get about a 18' through the bridge. I was coming up to the campground for a few days and was wondering if i could anchor it just outside the grounds for a couple of nights so that i would not have to pull it out every night. But vaca has come & gone and thats what i ended up doing. I come to the lake alot well just come up for the alot would be nice to spend a night on the boat but the law is the law I can understand it if i owned a place i wouldnt want a group of boats partying in front of my house all night. I personally would not do that I would find a quite place out of the way and I am very respectfull as I love the lake . But we all know there are plenty of people out there that are not
Thanks
billy l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #32
ApS

Well, it looks like we've gotten the answer from billy l—but I'd already prepared the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Was there a special purpose for taking the picture of that particular boat and then watching to see when it left?
I can commiserate with the family at the cottage in the photo. It's like strangers at a tailgate party at the end of your driveway.

"Watching" was easy, as my social-hour usually runs out of "beverage" just before sunset.

That was yesterday, and I'd never seen a boat anchored along that shore before! He'd apparently found a special patch among the "cobblestones" and, as you can see, the breeze wasn't strong enough to upset his anchor.

In this area, most windward shores have this "cobblestone" bottom. My lee shore is sandy, and perfect for overnight anchoring.

But that's OK—I've never had to play my Jerry Falwell tapes loudly in anyone's direction.

Dragging the anchor "unexpectedly" at night would endanger Camp Osseo's two long docks and dozens of boats.
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 10-06-2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: add photo of dock just downwind from anchored boat...
Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #33
tom-sr230

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy l View Post
Thanks for all the input . The reason I ask is ive been going to paugus bay campground for years . Last year we upgraded our boat to a 23' cc. They have docks @ the campground but you have to go under the RR bridge and you can only get about a 18' through the bridge. I was coming up to the campground for a few days and was wondering if i could anchor it just outside the grounds for a couple of nights so that i would not have to pull it out every night. But vaca has come & gone and thats what i ended up doing. I come to the lake alot well just come up for the alot would be nice to spend a night on the boat but the law is the law I can understand it if i owned a place i wouldnt want a group of boats partying in front of my house all night. I personally would not do that I would find a quite place out of the way and I am very respectfull as I love the lake . But we all know there are plenty of people out there that are not
Thanks
i am on the same cove as paugus bay campground and i bring my 23 foot yamaha bowrider under that bridge about 80 times a year...and i don't even have a rudder to steer...it is all jet thrust which means very little steering at low speeds ..i just bump the throttles carefully....some years at the begining of the season it is tight to get under the train bridge but maybe next trip up give it a try..it just takes practice!!!!
ps...don't forget to lower the bimini.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tom-sr230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #34
NH_boater

Quote:
I can commiserate with the family at the cottage in the photo. It's like strangers at a tailgate party at the end of your driveway.
My guess is that they were just enjoying our beautiful lake.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #35
Rusty

Quote:
"Watching" was easy, as my social-hour usually runs out of "beverage" just before sunset.

"Watching" was easy? How boring that must have been.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #36
Belmont Resident

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
"Watching" was easy? How boring that must have been.
Rusty you're new, I think you'll find after reading his posts a while that APS is a perfect example of that neighbor next door who is always watching you and monitoring yours and everyone's business within eye sight.
lawn psycho (08-30-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #37
tis

Quote:
Rusty you're new, I think you'll find after reading his posts a while that APS is a perfect example of that neighbor next door who is always watching you and monitoring yours and everyone's business within eye sight.
I think Rusty knows APS, BR!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #38
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
My guess is that they were just enjoying our beautiful lake.
No question; however, the residents there would probably prefer a view other than the aft end of close-in boaters.

Quote:
Think "Vigilance", instead.

During Lake Winnipesaukee's "High-Season", there's nearly always something going on!

http://http://www.winnipesaukee.com/...3&postcount=13
Old 08-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #39
Belmont Resident

Talking

Quote:
No question; however, the residents there would probably prefer a view other than the aft end of close-in boaters.

Think "Vigilance", instead.

During Lake Winnipesaukee's "High-Season", there's nearly always something going on!

http://http://www.winnipesaukee.com/...3&postcount=13
So your the lake Nazi?
OOOPs I mean Winter Harbor.
From what I remember from being at your place once, you have no visible neighbors only what you can see straight out from you property across the lake.