Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
jtb9212

Default Pasta Patio

Just ordered a to go meal from the Pasta Patio. Absolutly horrible, and I mean horrible. I am not a complainer, but this was absolutly un-edible. Chicken Parm was overcooked pasta, chicken dry and hard. Chicken Felix with their signature potatoes was disgusting, sauce separated, potatoes a pile of oily mush, chicken dry and hard. Fried ravioli was soggy and gross. Just overall a bad experiance.

I called and asked to speak with a Mananger and was questioned on the phone as to why. So I had to be filtered by a server on the phone. Got the manager (Sean) and explained the food concerns and he appologized and said I will be refunded. Dont know what other experiances people are having there, but if they continue serving food like that they will suffer the same fate as the Garden Oasis did.

Back to Fratello's I go or to Rossi's. Second try at the Pasta Patio, second bad meal. Should have gone to the kitchen for the Barilla and Prego!!

I wont be back.
jtb9212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Jonas Pilot

But how was the ambiance?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Italian

Funny you consider Fratello's or Rossi's decent. The only good Italian restuarant that I know of close to the lake is Picolo in downtown Manchester.

I ate at the Pasta Patio a few weeks after it open. I do find to food better than Fratello's and Rossi's but not true italian.

My only complaint was the waitress, she forgot to bring our salad and bread plate until after our entree was served. The manager promptly gave us a gift certificate for a free entree which we use on the bill.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
CGI3

Default Close to lake

Close to what lake?? Massabesic???
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
NBR

I must be loosing my taste buds as I age. I don't really consider Fratello's Italian although I like there food but I never eat anything but the Italian specials at Rossi's and I've never had a bad meal there.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NBR For This Useful Post:
trfour (02-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
corollaman

From what I have heard, you're better off staying home and having Ragu and Prince pasta.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to corollaman For This Useful Post:
Shore Driver (02-27-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
corollaman

We need a restaurant like Vesuvio on the Sopranos! LOL
Italians are the only ones who know how to really make true Italian Cuisine.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to corollaman For This Useful Post:
nicole (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
We need a restaurant like Vesuvio on the Sopranos! LOL
Italians are the only ones who know how to really make true Italian Cuisine.
I remember a "Soprano" episode when Tony put a deposit on a Beach house and then reneged as only he could. Maybe he can buy a home here on the lake and start up an Italian restaurant. Or maybe the "soup Nazi" in the Seinfeld episode will start a soup kitchen here.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Default Canned pasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
From what I have heard, you're better off staying home and having Ragu and Prince pasta.
EEWWWW!

I rather make my own. I lived with an Italian woman once. I watched how she makes a mean pasta sauce. You could do it in just 30 minutes. Italian pasta is not simmered down. It's all about how fresh the ingredients and herbs.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Tuscan Kitchen

Broadhopper;

If you truly love authentic Italian food, you have to try the "Tuscan Kitchen" in Salem NH (exit #2 off 93). I just came back from there... In one word, UNBELIEVABLE!! Nothing in NH comes close!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
bclaker

Default Pasta Patio

Does anyone have anything good to report about Pasta Patio?? My wife wanted to try it tomorrow.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaker View Post
Does anyone have anything good to report about Pasta Patio?? My wife wanted to try it tomorrow.
Give it a try and report back. I do see cars there when I drive by.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
jtb9212

Default Pasta Patio

I guess what bothers me the most. Nice looking establishment, you know the fancy sign up front with the little catch phrase on the bottom of the sign in Italian leading you to beleive from the appearance that maybe they actually cook something from scratch in the kitchen.

Box pasta, frozen heat to serve food, and probably some sort of commercial sauces from some food service conglomerate.

Doesn't anyone MAKE any food these days? I enjoy dining out, but sick of processed food under the umbrella of authentic cusine.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
Shore Driver

Thanks to all who reviewed! I won't bother with this one.

I've said it before. It's a weird building that screams "fast-casual". The patio is not a draw given its unattractive, overly commercial surroundings. And now, word is the food is lousy. Why can't there be decent Italian in the lakes region? Even good 'ol Alex Ray falls down with Lago. Abondante was the last good one I can think of.

How is the one in M'boro on 25? North End?
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
jtb9212

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Funny you consider Fratello's or Rossi's decent. The only good Italian restuarant that I know of close to the lake is Picolo in downtown Manchester.

I ate at the Pasta Patio a few weeks after it open. I do find to food better than Fratello's and Rossi's but not true italian.

My only complaint was the waitress, she forgot to bring our salad and bread plate until after our entree was served. The manager promptly gave us a gift certificate for a free entree which we use on the bill.
You are 100% correct. I have eaten at Picolo in Manchester and that place is off the hook. I have not had any better than that anywhere. Problem for me is the drive down there and back. But you are right. The food there is spot on.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
AC2717

what about Fratello's on UNion Ave in Laconia, I have not been there in about 10 years. what say you on this one?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
Belmont Resident

Default How about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Driver View Post
Thanks to all who reviewed! I won't bother with this one.

I've said it before. It's a weird building that screams "fast-casual". The patio is not a draw given its unattractive, overly commercial surroundings. And now, word is the food is lousy. Why can't there be decent Italian in the lakes region? Even good 'ol Alex Ray falls down with Lago. Abondante was the last good one I can think of.

How is the one in M'boro on 25? North End?
I was working at a job and the homeowner came back from lunch at a place in Franklin next to the American legion. I do not know the name but she said the food was excellent. Others in the area have mentioned it as well.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
Patiently Watching

Have not tried "Pasta Patio" either, but from the looks and sounds, I am not missing anything.

Have not tried Picolo or Tuscan Kitchen, but they sound great.

Definately need more places that actually prepare food fresh onsite rather than heat & serve.

Has anyone been to Rinaldo's in North Hampton? I have not been a few years, but it used to be great.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
what about Fratello's on UNion Ave in Laconia, I have not been there in about 10 years. what say you on this one?
I'm a fan of Fratellos. They seem to be consistent, good quality food. It's not Italian, but is "Italian Themed", or "Italian Inspired".
Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #20
BroadHopper

Default Italian Restuarants

Has anyone went to the 'Cheguers Villa' in Thornton NH?

I ate there many moons ago and found their pasta excellent. I pass by it last weekend on the way to Conway. It looks like it is still open.

I would like to try 'Tuscan Kitchen'.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 02-27-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
LakeSnake

Went to Karen & Barrys Bistro in Meredith a few years back and the food was great. Was real homemade Italian food. Have not had the opportunity to go back lately but may be worth a try.

Last edited by LakeSnake; 02-27-2012 at 12:30 PM.
LakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Why do so many people forget Karen & Barrys???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSnake View Post
Went to Karen & Barrys Bistro in Meridith a few years back and the food was great. Was real homemade. Have no had th eopportunity to go back lately but may be worth a try.
I my opinion it beats every local "Italian" (Fratello's,North End Italian Farm House or Lago) restaurant in the Lakes Area.

Their Veal is the best, be it Marcella or Parmigiana. The Marcella sauce is as good or better the you could find in the North End (Boston).

Any one not trying it, is loosing an opportunity for cooked to order (not frozen and Nuked) great Italian food.

They some times run a 1/2 off second meal coupon in the Laconia Daily Sun.

Give them a try, you will not be disappointed.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-27-2012), garysanfran (02-27-2012), Redwing (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
BroadHopper

Default Karen and Barry's

I had a chance to eat there one time with family and grandkids. I have to admit the place was great and the total bill was very reasonable for a crowd of this size. It is so out of the way, I forgot about it.

As for the food I can't recall anyone complaining nor did anyone said anything about the service. I need to go back and check it out again.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
donnamatrix

Default Angelina's in Concord

I think Angelina's in Concord is extremely good. Must have reservations, but big deal. There is no good Italian restaurant around Lake Winni... IMHO
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #25
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up It's the SAUCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
I think Angelina's in Concord is extremely good. Must have reservations, but big deal. There is no good Italian restaurant around Lake Winni... IMHO

Have you tried the Veal Marcella at Karen and Barrys? I all ways ask for a table spoon to get every last drop of the sauce. Do not use bread to sponge it up, I just want the flavor of the sauce.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #26
bclaker

Default Pasta Patio

Since no one posted any positive critiques for The Pasta Patio, we went to Tilton, to Chili's. When we went past The Pasta Patio at 12:30, there were only 3 vehicles in their parking lot.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaker View Post
Since no one posted any positive critiques for The Pasta Patio, we went to Tilton, to Chili's. When we went past The Pasta Patio at 12:30, there were only 3 vehicles in their parking lot.
Given that you were willing to settle for Chili's, you should have just tried the Pasta Patio...
Old 02-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #28
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
Has anyone been to Rinaldo's in North Hampton? I have not been a few years, but it used to be great.
Ronaldo's was fantastic, haven't been there in 10+ years though. The only downside to the place was that they didn't take reservations.

The other one that stands out in my mind was Ya Mamma's waaaay down in Merrimack, but that has since closed. The food was fantastic, but I think the location killed that one off. It was essentially on the edge of an industrial park, with absolutely nothing else open around it after 6pm.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #29
Overlake97

Default Ciao Pasta is the name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I was working at a job and the homeowner came back from lunch at a place in Franklin next to the American legion. I do not know the name but she said the food was excellent. Others in the area have mentioned it as well.
You're probably thinking about Ciao Pasta in Franklin. It IS good, although I've not yet posted about it myself. Go to Yelp.com for 4 reviews about this place. I'd give it 4 stars (out of 5, in Yelp). They have an interesting ordering arrangement: You pick a Pasta, then a Sauce, then some Add-ins (e.g., meatballs, sausage, etc.), and the options within each step have different prices. It liked this system.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Overlake97 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #30
Belmont Resident

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
You're probably thinking about Ciao Pasta in Franklin. It IS good, although I've not yet posted about it myself. Go to Yelp.com for 4 reviews about this place. I'd give it 4 stars (out of 5, in Yelp). They have an interesting ordering arrangement: You pick a Pasta, then a Sauce, then some Add-ins (e.g., meatballs, sausage, etc.), and the options within each step have different prices. It liked this system.
Yes that is the name of the place. I wasn't sure of the spelling.
Now that you mention it I do remember her saying that and that she also liked it. She raved about the food quality.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #31
Ginger_nh

Default Positive dining experience

I live in Belmont and had read of the new Pasta Patio restaurant opened by a very young couple with little restaurant experience. Haven't gotten around to trying it until yesterday. I checked the forum here before going, as I often do (I've been lurking but never posting for 4-5 years or so!) The reviews were so negative I almost called my friend to suggest another restaurant. However, we went as planned and were very happy with both our lunch and the overall restaurant experience.

We arrived at about 11:45am. Two cars in the parking lot and 2 couples seated inside.

Our young waiter was on the first day of his job--he did an excellent job-said he was interested in all aspects of the hospitality industry, has studied hospitality at NHTI, and previously worked as a manager in some part of Gunstock's ski operations. He was discreetly shadowed by a waitress who appeared to be the dining room manager also.

We orered the soup-salad-pasta special; there are several choices for each of the items so you can mix and match as you like. Salad was not overdressed as previously written here; also, no surprises as we were told that it was dressed with a light dressing before we even ordered, also a complaint on this forum that this was not made clear before ordering. Our salad came in a generous family style bowl with enough Romaine, pepperocini, olives, tomatoes, and croutons for 4 (we were 2). Our 2 soup choices were excellent, but could have been hotter. Pasta was al dente, sauce excellent, meatballs tasty, not too spicy-just right, served steaming hot.

While we were there, a friend arrived who was former Laconia restauranteur; she was with a party of 6 and was celebrating the purchase of a home at auction just minutes earlier. They chose Pasta Patio as the place to celebrate with a luncheon. Also, by the time we left at around 1:30pm the place was nearly full.

Restaurant was extremely clean; a waitress was using an old-fashioned mechanical carpet sweeper (no motor sound to disturb patrons) to clean up every crumb on the rug as part of table area cleanup after patrons leave. Decor is pleasant, airy, and Italianate in a subdued fashion. Cutlery is heavy and attractive, the china is of the large, white Mediterranean style used in nicer Italian restaurants.

All in all, a pleasant experience--we will return. Glad to see that sometimes
places change and grow as they move along the learning curve.
Ginger_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger_nh For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (03-01-2012), Jonas Pilot (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #32
BroadHopper

Default Laconia Culinary

The Laconia High School and the NH Community College has culinary and hospitality curriculum to prepare the students for the Hospitality Industry. I am not surprised to see local students doing well in hotel and restuarants in the area.

Local residents are also treated to excellent meals by NHCC at the old mill in Belmont, NH. The elderly folks love to go as it is economical and early in the day. You will find more information on the NHCC website.

Laconia High School culinary art program do small catering and there is a cafe open for lunch.

I commend the local establishments for hiring the students.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #33
bclaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_nh View Post
I live in Belmont and had read of the new Pasta Patio restaurant opened by a very young couple with little restaurant experience. Haven't gotten around to trying it until yesterday. I checked the forum here before going, as I often do (I've been lurking but never posting for 4-5 years or so!) The reviews were so negative I almost called my friend to suggest another restaurant. However, we went as planned and were very happy with both our lunch and the overall restaurant experience.

We arrived at about 11:45am. Two cars in the parking lot and 2 couples seated inside.

Our young waiter was on the first day of his job--he did an excellent job-said he was interested in all aspects of the hospitality industry, has studied hospitality at NHTI, and previously worked as a manager in some part of Gunstock's ski operations. He was discreetly shadowed by a waitress who appeared to be the dining room manager also.
We orered the soup-salad-pasta special; there are several choices for each of the items so you can mix and match as you like. Salad was not overdressed as previously written here; also, no surprises as we were told that it was dressed with a light dressing before we even ordered, also a complaint on this forum that this was not made clear before ordering. Our salad came in a generous family style bowl with enough Romaine, pepperocini, olives, tomatoes, and croutons for 4 (we were 2). Our 2 soup choices were excellent, but could have been hotter. Pasta was al dente, sauce excellent, meatballs tasty, not too spicy-just right, served steaming hot.

While we were there, a friend arrived who was former Laconia restauranteur; she was with a party of 6 and was celebrating the purchase of a home at auction just minutes earlier. They chose Pasta Patio as the place to celebrate with a luncheon. Also, by the time we left at around 1:30pm the place was nearly full.

Restaurant was extremely clean; a waitress was using an old-fashioned mechanical carpet sweeper (no motor sound to disturb patrons) to clean up every crumb on the rug as part of table area cleanup after patrons leave. Decor is pleasant, airy, and Italianate in a subdued fashion. Cutlery is heavy and attractive, the china is of the large, white Mediterranean style used in nicer Italian restaurants.

All in all, a pleasant experience--we will return. Glad to see that sometimes
places change and grow as they move along the learning curve.
Basesd on your review, we will give it a try in the near future. Thanks!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #34
jetskier

Post Tried it last night

We thought that we would give Pasta Patio a try last night and decide for ourselves.

The restaurant was about 3/4 full at 7:00 pm but we did not have to wait for a table. The staff was friendly and we were seated promptly.

We ordered dinner (no appetizers) and started with the bowl of salad. It is clearly modeled after Olive Garden with a large salad for the table (with italian dressing). The salad was fresh and the bread was hot out of the oven.

The meals arrived a bit too soon as we were still settling into the salad and conversation. The portions were generous and the quality was a little lower than say Fratellos. The pasta dishes were well prepared, but the egg plant parmesian was too thick and tough. My wife thought that the chicken marsala was a little bland. I had the cheese ravioli and it was fine other than being completely drowned in sauce. I would suggest that they consider fresh grated parmesian also...the shaker of romano (I think) is a little too low brow.

My sense is that Pasta Patio is focusing on the value market and providing generous portions. That seems to be a decent model for surviving in the lakes region. Overall it is a cut below Fratellos or Lagos, but the prices are significantly lower.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #35
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default another option....

....don't forget the PATIO GARDEN (in season)

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #36
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

here you go!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
bclaker (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #37
bclaker

Default Pasta patio

Thanks for then 20% off Coupon, McDude. My wife and I went to the Pasta Patio for lunch today and were generally pleased with the place. We were quickly ushered to our seats and given menus. The luncheon menue didn't have the things we were looking for and when the waitress came with the salad and rolls, she told us we could order a luncheon version of the main menu, at a reduced price. My wife ordered Chicken Marsalla and I ordered Angel Hair and Sausage with Marinara sauce. The timing was just right. We were just finishing our salads when the main entre arrived. Both our meals were very good. The only thing we both found was that they could have been spiced up a bit. I did find the place similar to Olive Garden. The last time I went there a year or two ago, tbey had left their signature olives out of the salad. We had olives in the salad at Pasta Patio. The waitress was very friendly and checked periodically to see if we needed anything. The place is very attractive inside. We will be going back again. I'm sure their start up must have been hectic for them, but it looks like most everything has now been tweeked up. I checked Facebook and there were more positive reviews than negative ones there. There were a number of cars there and the dining area was about 3/4 full.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #38
gravy boat

Thumbs up Good review

Hubby, 2 of our girls and I gave it a try late afternoon Saturday. Huge portions, very tasty and the girls loved the included sundae and took full advantage. Hubby ordered escargot scampy and there were numerous -- and I mean a lot - of escargot. I ordered chicken Marsala -- yummy but both agree a bit too much salt. Cut the salt by a third and it would be excellent. Girls ordered chicken/broccoli and tortellini -- and loved it.

Great value for family -- if you are looking for exceptional, then I have to agree with earlier posters and recommend Piccola's on Elm in Manchester. But we will return for sure! Oh-- bread was great but not fond of the butter with the sweetener added...regular butter would be much better....or better yet, a dish of olive oil drizzled with balsamic.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (03-25-2012)