Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Formula

Default WWII Planes

At the Laconia airport today was the WWII fly-in.
I have a few pictures and a couple of not so goood videos.
In the pictures is a B-17, B-25 and a Mustang.
Attached Images

Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Formula

Default Here are the videos

I hope that the Videos come through
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
ApS

Smile A Thrill Over Wolfeboro Late This Afternoon...

A B-17 darkened my plate-glass windows and shook the lake's air space with deep radial-engine reverberations.

Over Wolfeboro proper, I watched the same B-17 as it flew over my Dad's house—twice—between 5:40 and 5:46-PM.

He is a WWII Naval-Aviation pilot, and requires a hearing aid—but never misses a fly-over by any aircraft that Won The War.

I'll hear "all about this" tomorrow over breakfast!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
chaseisland

Wish I was there, great photos ! I believe that you show a B-24 Liberator instead of the two engine B-25 Mitchell.
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseisland View Post
Wish I was there, great photos ! I believe that you show a B-24 Liberator instead of the two engine B-25 Mitchell.
It's a B-24
Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I got there just after you posted the pics. I was wondering why there were "no parking per police order" signs at the end of the runway today. I guess this is why.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
ApS

Post WW2 Bombers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseisland View Post
I believe that you show a B-24 Liberator instead of the two engine B-25 Mitchell.
1) The B-25 Mitchell is the only U.S. military aircraft to bear a person's name.

The B-25 Mitchell was at the Laconia show two years ago. Those were the first WWII aircraft that "returned-fire" just months after Pearl Harbor. Americans cheered the accomplishment, but nearly all of the sixteen aircraft crashed following the otherwise successful mission.

That mission began by flying Army B-25 land-based bombers from a Navy aircraft carrier!

2) In spite of successfully turning the war in the last years of combat—and 10,000 B-24 Liberators were sent into war—the B-24 Liberator (above) is one of only three that fly today!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
PHDIII

Default Still there Wednesday!

These historic aircraft will be there through Wednesday this week. Anyone with young kids should consider taking them to see these famous American warbirds.
I spent the $12.00 and was able to climb through the 2 bombers; what a thrill. One is struck by the close quarters and narrow passageways through the planes. Keep in mind each crewman was wearing heavy flight clothes and enduring -30F temperatures in the unpressurized aircraft.
My father was a ball turret gunner in a B-17, making all his missions with no injuries except some lifelong hand pain from frostbite. Seeing this 36" ball containing 2 machine guns, ammo and a person defines claustrophobic.
I've always been greatful for the heroism of our military members, but seeing this in actual fact brings a new perspective.
Go see 'em.
PHDIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I once worked at the Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA. I remembered my Boss, the Inn Keeper, Francis Koppeis, telling me was an Aviator on a B-17 During WWII. I can't remember but I think he was a Navigator. Well years later while working at Hanscom AFB in Bedford MA I was part of running one of the air shows we had there. I spoke to the Collings Foundation People and asked if I could get my old Boss who used to fly in one, a look around inside the plane. He not only said yes but Insisted that I get him there. So I invited him out and with a little help was able to get in the plane. As I was standing there the pilot winked at me and they pulled the chocks and closed the door. They took him up for a ride after hearing his stories. I just about broke down crying I was so happy for him. When he landed he could not thank me enough for getting him on the plane. Two years later I learned that Francis had passed on. Those Collings guys are awesome keeping that history alive and flying. And awesome for getting Francis his memories back. (Maybe they weren't good memories back then, but you know what I mean.)
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Chubbs (09-21-2010), Sal (09-21-2010)
Old 09-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

One flew over our house yesterday and today. They look beautiful!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Jonas Pilot

Default From last year.

If your interested I shot these images last year at the Wings of Freedom stop in Laconia. It was awesome to see them arrive. To think that they were piloted and manned by mostly very young men is almost beyond comprehension. It's definitely worth the trip to see these magnificent war birds.

For more images...

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo....php?cat=15166
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Chubbs

Lakesrider,
I too worked at the Wayside Inn back in the late 60's. The "Kope," as we all called him, was a terrific man and I believe the best Inn keeper they ever had.

That was a wonderful thing you did for him. He was and is missed to this very day.
My daughter was married there on July 16th and the staff were still talking about him.
Thanks for sharing that story. It must have been a thrill for him.

Last edited by Chubbs; 09-21-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote