Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
Will

Default opinion about woodshed

has anyone eaten at the woodshed? Any comments!
Thanks
Will
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Newbiesaukee

This is my out-of-town guest place. The surroundings are lovely, the service is always attentive, the pace is leisurely and the food is consistent. I like some dishes better than others but I have never been disappointed. It is sure to please
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
jeffk

Default Generally very good, with a couple of hiccups

When we first started coming to the lake on a regular basis, about 12 years ago, we went to the Woodshed often because it is only about 10 minutes from our house and the food is great. We loved the steaks and the Alaskan crab. It was the place we brought friends and family. Everyone always remarked very favorably. The Woodshed was a consistantly great dining experience.

We ran onto a rough patch a few years ago. On one occasion soup was brought to the table very cool. After pointing it out to the waitress is was returned scaulding hot. I'm not real picky about my food and will overlook most minor issues but the soup was really cold to start, then it was so hot I burned my mouth.
The next time a steak was ordered medium well. It was served bloody rare. It took 2 returns to the kitchen to get it anywhere near right. In the meantime everyone else at the table was long done eating.
For this class of restaurant these types of problems are unacceptable. Further, the wait staff addressed the problems but they weren't apologetic at all, kind of an "oh well" attitude.

We still go there a couple of times a year and everything has been great the last few times. We really enjoy it when they are on their game. I just worry that they will have an off day.

They are also much busier than they used to be. We used to call Friday night for a Saturday reservation. Now we often find we are closed out unless we call several days or a week in advance. This isn't a complaint, just an observation.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
KonaChick

The last time I went was 2 years ago and I was not impressed at all. Food mediocre at best. We had been several times before that and it was mediocre too. The Coe House consistently serves good food, we've never been disappointed.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
KPW

Default opinion about woodshed

We have NEVER been disappointed with the Woodshed.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2005, 07:43 PM   #6
phoenix

this is our favorite restaurant in the lakes region . never had a bad meal and great setting
Old 06-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #7
PHDIII

Default Dinner at The Woodshed

We had dinner there on Thursday the 9th of June. The 5 of us each ordered something different. All were very satisfied. Our waitress was efficient and good natured.

I ordered the clam chowder---loaded with clams. The Swordfish was well prepared and very tasty.

Near the end of the dinner the owner, I think, stopped by our table to check on us. Seems the earlier negative comments regarding attitude, etc. have been addressed.

Thumbs up from me!
PHDIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:13 AM   #8
jkjoshuatree

Talking Woodshed

I agree with the previous posts. A few years ago the service and food was marginal. Maybe it was a rough patch, because I've been going there for as long as I can remember and it was always good. The atomsphere and location are great either way, but I haven't been for a while so I don't know about the food.

This is totally unrelated to the Woodshed but the Corner House Inn is execellent. I've never had a bad meal there and its a great place. Very New England-y (is that a word?). If you like stuffed mushrooms, try them, they're mmm mmm good. Great Sunday brunch too. Ask to eat upstairs in the bar area for brunch. Its a very cool room.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
Lady of the Lake

Thumbs up

My family and I have been going to the Woodshed for over 30 years,before the present owner bought it. I have never had a bad meal. I own cottages on the lake and send all my guests there when they request a recommendation.
Lady of the Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:17 PM   #10
secondcurve

Default A Good Choice

I echo most of the earlier comments. The Wood Shed is certainly a good choice. I also have had some wonderful meals there, but I too ran into some poor service/food issues a couple of years ago. I think the success of the business probably made it grow too quickly to maintain consistency. My recent visits tere have been better. This restaurant has a fabulous atmosphere if you are seated in the main area or bar. However, you can be stuck in some of the smaller rooms which don't have the same ambiance. I would echo the earlier post that recommended the Corner House Inn over the Wood Shed. Also, 51 Mill Street (formerly Loves Quay restaurant) beats them both in terms of food (see my recent post on 51 Mill Street).
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:30 PM   #11
Cookie

Default Who votes?????????????

I have been to the Woodshed many time how ever I feel with in the last three years or so there really living on the name. And for it to be voted #1 so I heard must of cost them a fortune, However many employee's have even staed there food quailty has just gone out the window. Look foward to the old ways at the shed to come back soon.
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
BlackCatIslander

Default Opinion about Woodshed

We have been going to the Woodshed for over 25 years and have always had a pleasant experiance It is our favorite restaurant. Occasionally, we have had an error with the drinks but it was promptly rectified and never a problem with the food. Their menu is somewhat restricted in choices but we happen to like the items that usually on the menu. Pricewise, we consider it somewhat higher than Canoe and about the same as Church Landing.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
Pendleton

Wink Wood Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
has anyone eaten at the woodshed? Any comments!
Thanks
Will
The Wood Shed is my most favorite place.... They have a surf & Turf that includes prime rib King,Queen or house cut w/ lobster tail or claw that includes a great salad and bread that is baked in a terra cotta clay pot. No ala cart
the price includes it all. Its an old farm house & barn very comfortable & rustic, the lounge has fireflace w/ couch and over stuffed chairs.. Oh and for desert they have choc. fudge cake... Its a nice and relaxing atmosphere. and the service is great, the wait staff prides themsselves at memorizing a very long specials list.
I hope you try it and more so I hope you agree...
Pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 AM   #14
jceria

Default Great Place

I too got the "Surf & Turf"..... On a scale of 1-10..... 8.0
jceria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #15
BlackCatIslander

Default Still my favorite

My wife and I have eaten at the Woodshed every one of the 30 years we have had our house at the lake and almost all of our experiences have been enjoyable. The menu may not to the liking of all, but we enjoy the atmosphere, the swirler size drinks, the food, and the deserts. The bread in the pot is just so so. But, all in all a very enjoyable dining experience.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #16
joann721

Default The Woodshed...

When we have guests visiting for the weekend, our destination on Saturday night is the Woodshed. The food is excellent, steaks are always the way you order them, the service is excellent, the prices are what you would expect from a higher end restaurant... dinner for 2 and a few drinks could easily be over $100. But we look forward to going a few times a summer and our returning guests have started to ask if we are planning on going to the Woodshed.. which is always a good sign... But I have to stop thinking about the Woodshed I have an ham sandwich for lunch
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote